Disney's live-action "Mulan"

There's not exactly much in terms of content on Disney+ so it's hard to tell. I'd say this, if it was this massive success Disney would be crowing about it. Being beaten by the Simpsons IMO is not exactly a sign it's being watched all that much.

Finnish medias listed the content we're getting when it opens on the 15th and comment sections were filled it "this blows all other streaming services out of the water". The amount of stuff they have there is ridiculous.

If you are not particularly strapped for money, I would recommend a buy, definitely worth it.
The problem is you aren’t really buying it. Because if you ever cancel your subscription, you lose access.

Finnish medias listed the content we're getting when it opens on the 15th and comment sections were filled it "this blows all other streaming services out of the water". The amount of stuff they have there is ridiculous.

Give them two weeks.

The reviews I have watched about it don't inspire confidence. I will just wait until this is free to stream likely. The Disney remakes haven't done much for me to date, and while this does at least sound different, the reviews have seemed to confirmed things I was worried about already.

I just am not a Disney remake guy I guess.

I’m looking forward to this when it’s free. How good or bad the film is doesn’t really have any bearing on that decision. I’ve never been a rental type person (since the 80s anyway when my parents would have been the ones paying :D ).

I liked the trailers and I wanted to like the movie so it makes me kinda sad that the only sort of big reaction it got out of me was when
Ming-Na Wen showed up for a brief 3 second cameo.
I thought the changes made from the animated version gave them lots of opportunities to make a really good movie but most of that potential was wasted. The main issue for me is that it’s too bare-boned. Nothing is given much depth. Them trying to adhere to the animated version also ended up working against the movie for me. They changed enough of it that if the connections to the original were removed, this version IMO would work better.
Because of the addition of Mulan using her chi, the matchmaker scene wasn’t needed since the village already looks at her like an outcast and the avalanche in particular (especially the mechanics of how it happened) seemed forced in. Actually come to think of what other connections did it have to the original?:hmm I don’t remember anything other than Reflection in the score and a couple of lines quoting I’ll make a man out of you.

Also, the lead was really bland. We’re told Mulan is a free spirit but Liu Yifei plays her so straight faced and serious that you don’t get that vibe at all. I did end up liking the new love interest even though I thought I would miss Li Shang. Too bad he was barely in the movie. And I also liked the witch and what they were trying to do with her but that needed more time and depth to work. All in all, it was a pretty looking movie and I liked it but I think a much better movie could’ve come out of this. A little more work on the script could’ve improved things a lot.
Rewatching the animated version and I really think they should've kept the spirit/Mushu aspect of it in this film. Mulan lacks someone she can speak openly with so she has to been distant from everyone the entire time. Mushu could've been a human spirit that poses as a soldier to keep an eye on Mulan and fades away when she no longer needs him.
yeah they didnt something somewhat similar with The Witch but they spent most of the film at odds so when she saves Mulan from the arrow it just didnt have any weight imo
I agree. She really needed someone she could be Mulan with and not Hua Jun.
I have to say they use Mushu’s replacement very strangely. The phoenix might as well be metaphorical. It almost feels like that’s what it was meant to be but then they (had to?) add the witch so now they don’t have a reason for the phoenix to not be real. With what they were trying to do with the witch, she could’ve been another female warrior who broke tradition like Mulan and that would’ve worked just as well.

Here in is the mistake a lot of people, this is not a re-make of the animated movie and comparing them can lead to disappointment. It is a re-telling of the Mulan story just as the animated version was a take on the story.

Regardless of it being a re-telling or a remake, when you have 2 versions of a story they will be compared especially if one did something better than the other.

Here in is the mistake a lot of people, this is not a re-make of the animated movie and comparing them can lead to disappointment. It is a re-telling of the Mulan story just as the animated version was a take on the story.

True, both are takes on the same story. So pointing out where the cartoon did it better than this did is fair.

Those are called OPINIONS, not FACTS!

Right. Any debate is a sharing of opinions, not facts. You don't have to state that when presenting an argument. It is understood that the person in the debate is expressing an opinion. You can use facts to back up your opinion, but ultimately in any debate, our goal is to present our opinions as the correct one.

So people pointing out where the cartoon is better than this is fair, once again.

Last edited:
Those are called OPINIONS, not FACTS!
MenacingSourAfricangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

Everything I've read about this reaffirms my decision not to watch it now (Don't want to drop $30 on a release strategy and star I don't want to support) It's laughable to me how they're still dismissing complaints about the changes by saying they wanted "more realism" now that everyone knows they added a phoenix, a shape-shifting witch and gave Mulan "magic blood." If I wanted a gritty, realistic telling of the Mulan legend, I sure as heck don't want Disney making it.

Disney is sure leaning to sell that mistake though...

mulan-side-by-side-poster-comparison.jpg

1599162808_03%20-%20Mulan%20Poster.jpeg

1599162788_03%20-%20Mulan%20Poster.jpg

...is this not considered a remake? It’s certainly being advertised as such :shrug:. I mean it’s Disney making a live action adaptation of their own animated movie. Not a different, unrelated take (which even then probably would’ve been compared) but an adaptation of an existing movie. It reuses music, story beats, characters exclusive to the animated movie.

...is this not considered a remake? It’s certainly being advertised as such :shrug:. I mean it’s Disney making a live action adaptation of their own animated movie. Not a different, unrelated take (which even then probably would’ve been compared) but an adaptation of an existing movie. It reuses music, story beats, characters exclusive to the animated movie.

I would certainly call it a remake.

So incredibly bad. Bland, lifeless acting and terrible writing. Anything potentially interesting about the story flayed from its bones and replaced with witless, cringe inducing propaganda. What an absolute embarrassment of a movie.

Were super powers a thing in the original story? Legit question. Cause it seems like a very weird choice to make Mulan a jedi basically.

I mean to each their own, but I thought it was a helluva an idea to make Mulan a mix of Xena and Beatrix Kiddo (which those two funnily enough have their roots in Asian kung fu movies) and giving her a fresh reinvention unlike what they did for Beauty and the Beast.

I'm still disappointed with that one, there was just absolutely NO soul or heart in it. Or Aladdin.

I honestly haven't like basically any of these Disney remakes outside of The Jungle Book. For me, they just feel like soulless marketing gimmicks that are being made to make billions. The Lion King I hated the most. I am happy for anyone who loves these, but they just haven't been my cup of tea.

I do give them credit for trying something new here. But Dumbo also tried something new. That doesn't make it good :o

I actually re-watched a good chuck of the live action Disney remakes over the weekend that I hadn't seen since they came out and some that I hadn't seen yet at all, and the ones that stood out the most to me were still Cinderella, Mulan, Dumbo and The Jungle Book.

I didn't care all that much for either Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast though and while I didn't hate The Lion King I definitely put it in the same grouping as those three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"