Disney's Sade

I hope this doesn't get bogged down in development.

Something like this getting made and being released in theaters will be the test of how much actual change Marvel's Black Panther will have had both inside and outside the industry I think. I've thought for a while that if BP actually has a legacy of changing things the evidence would be in the two to five years after it came out. If big budget films with majority non-white casts start actually being made on a more regular basis then for sure BP changed the game rather than being a mere blip on the cultural radar.

I can only hope more films featuring different ethnic casts can break through. I mean... Seriously, when was the last time there was a blockbuster with a majority Hispanic cast? COCO? And before that?

I can't think of it off the top of my head. Asians are getting that Rom-Com but outside of imports of action flicks from across the Pacific when is the last time a Hollywood production featured a majority Asian cast?

Hopefully the success of BP can change the course for the better in this regard.

Couldn't agree more; Black Panther obviously made a big splash and the movie is great (or at least widely well-received), but I always viewed it as a hopeful door-opener into getting more Africa-based stories, preferably originally made and produced by Africans instead of authenticating an ultimately [white] American creation. Plus, more African fantasy/futurism is a treasure trove of potential visual effects wizardry; looking forward to hearing more on this project in a few years.

(When I saw the thread title I thought Disney had acquired the rights to the singer's biography.)

Couldn't agree more; Black Panther obviously made a big splash and the movie is great (or at least widely well-received), but I always viewed it as a hopeful door-opener into getting more Africa-based stories, preferably originally made and produced by Africans instead of authenticating an ultimately [white] American creation. Plus, more African fantasy/futurism is a treasure trove of potential visual effects wizardry; looking forward to hearing more on this project in a few years.

(When I saw the thread title I thought Disney had acquired the rights to the singer's biography.)

And hopefully it's about more than just Black people. The racial psycho dram of the USA is so literally black and white that it sucks the oxygen out or room too often so that the realization of all the lack of representation of various groups in media get's overlooked. East Asians, South Asians, Middle Easterners, Native groups from across the word, Hispanics... All to be found in America and most often NOT to be found on screens in even mid sized productions.

Of course; it just seems like in the U.S. at least, sweeping civil rights-related legislation or public shifts don't usually occur until after black-focused campaigns and issues force such changes that everyone ends up in some way benefitting from. (That's not to say that other demographic coalitions haven't existed and had their impacts, of course.) But yes, would most definitely like to see more stories and casts like Black Panther's across the board. (And pays their respective demographics the appropriate depth and due; even in a lot of Bollywood films and Hispanic/Latin TV, the casts are usually pretty whitewashed since colorism is a rampant thing...)

On this topic specifically, I wonder where/when this particular story is set. Sadé is a Yoruba name as far as I know, so perhaps a fictional version of the Ife or Oyo empires. (Granted, that covers like 700 years of history to pick from.) I wonder why they decided to go live action instead of the animated route; I feel like the latter would allow for more eccentric stylization.

Hmm... I wonder if this film plus the Fox deal will have any effect on the film based on “Children of Blood and Bone.”

This sounds really sweet. I can’t wait to see some concept art

Hmm... I wonder if this film plus the Fox deal will have any effect on the film based on “Children of Blood and Bone.”

Need to get to reading that.

This film sounds awesome though I wish it was being given the animated treatment.

Do you reckon we’ll find out more about this at D23? I’m looking forward to a new Disney Princess that’s original

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"