Disney's Zorro and the New World Zorro

MST86k0.jpg

Zorro is cool.

A few more favorite moments, sorry about the low rez.

LOL! Garcia you're wasting your time, Might as well Drink up!
iEL2GhP.gif

If only there was a way to vault to the other roof, ...gracias!
1WNLBG2.gif

Lol. Knife fite.....
Edzwh5p.gif

Black-Powder "grenade"
7LwNioG.gif

LOL...Thanks for the lift!
22xlsv.gif

Cesar Romero vs Zorro ... He plays kind of a conman.
Is he wearing purple?
22xm7p.gif
22xm4r.gif

Cesar Romero Can't get a break....:funny: The masked men have it out for him.

Disney Vault promo...
1tojqs.gif

Last edited:
Interesting. I don't believe Zorro carries a gun. But if it were at his disposal and the need was there, I believe he would (and has) used it.
Yes, he is most famous obviously for the sword, and leaving his mark, that doesn't mean he didn't carry a gun. Since this has come up before, and there are many interpretations/incarnations- I'm going to try and collect in one place a visual gallery/reference of several of the versions that used guns =(black powder flint-lock pistol).

Starting at the begging with Johnston McCulley the guy who invented Zorro.
From the 1919 All-Story pulp series Curse of Capistrano (what became collected as The Mark of Zorro)

1919-
His introduction / first appearance :

- “…Zorro had allowed one hand to come from beneath his cloak, and the hand held a pistol, most damnable of weapons…”

Zorro holding back an army- “I shall hold the pistol in my left hand…I shall engage this sergeant with my right, in the proper manner, and as I fight, I shall keep an eye on the corner. The first move from any of you, señores, means that I fire.”

“...I am expert with this you have termed the devil’s weapon, and if I fire some men shall cease to exist on this earth of ours. It is understood?”

That is the introduction of Zorro, not only does he use "the Devils Weapon", but like with the sword, he indulges in his expertise with it.
The first thing we learn about him is he is expert with both the sword and pistol.

Then came Douglas Fairbanks (Zorro's other daddy) who on film forever defined the look of the character, the 1920's Mark of Zorro pretty much follows scene for scene the pulp version.
And here is his first appearance on film...
1920-
bDLsKCm.jpg

With the popularity of the first story and film, McCulley continued Zorro's adventures in the pulps.
The pistol was part of the ongoing depiction of the character, he regularly carried it and was proficient with it...
1920-40s
H5zNA4O.jpg

Then came Tyrone Powers' taking the mantle of Zorro, one of the most popular and iconic interpretations.
How could anyone forget that incredible iconic shot! Look at that shadow.
1940-
bzZRG0O.jpg

Dell Comics - The first Zorro comics ever published, based on the original McCulley pulp stories.
Throughout he is again shown expert with the weapon. He uses it as a distraction or to disarm others, forcing a sword duel, etc..
1950s-
HEnB1I1.jpg

As good as he is with the sword, he is too with the his pistols, on par with Lone Ranger shooting weapons out of hands etc., only Zorro was doing it first!

STdZw0f.jpg

Dell inside cover, again based on McCulley stories - They made a point of it.
ikg6Qir.jpg

Featured because like his sword his pistols are regular part of his arsenal.

Then Disney's Guy Williams, another Zorro icon!
Every episode began like this...
1957-60
22xi7b.gif

https://i.imgflip.com/2fj8rv.gif

More Disney's Guy Williams ....
22xidr.gif

fetch
[/IMG]

Disney was also the first to mas-market merchandise the character, not just cape, hat & sword but his pistols too!
How cool is that flintlock cap gun-
DsBjQA5.jpg

Last edited:
fetch

All the gear for an awesome utility belt!

More merchandise, the first Disney Zorro figures...

XseyZf1.jpg
https://www.hakes.com/Image/MediumRes/3669/1/image.jpg

Another vintage Marx Zorro -
EiQfFGU.jpg

Almost as visually iconic as Guy Williams, was the Disney Zorro comics by Alex Toth
Several awesome panels....
kL4zaEw.jpg

1950-60s Disney Topps Collector Cards
6Senah2.gif

1hmjGTs.jpg

1974 The made for TV Zorro staring Frank Langella
K3YTtwj.jpg

1975 The so called spaghetti-westrn film version of Zorro, staring Alain Delon
""It's easy to kill saints, Colonel. Now let's see how you do against a sinner!." -
AS17v0B.jpg

1980s Gabriel Toys who merchandised the character off Filmation's Animated series the last American produced animation studio, they released Zorro figures for a new generation -
Zorro%20figure%20Filmation%20New%20Adventures.jpg~original

More Dell: The first Zorro comics.
Based on McCulley The Mask of Zorro ... Nice opening shot.

b5eTWlY.jpg

Photo by Guitcho Yojimbo

The Return of Zorro
Photo by Guitcho Yojimbo

The Sword of Zorro
Photo by Guitcho Yojimbo

That's what I got for now, let me know if any images don't open.

Edit:

Haven't even included most of the Republic movie serials, which tended to feature descendant/legacy Zorro's who still used guns, and as you'de expect updated from flintlocks, to modern revolvers.

This character lived on the frontier between the pulpy Swashbuckler & Western, he was at the perfect meeting-point between the two awesome genres where the sword and the flintlock pistol coexisted.
McCulley, Fairbanks, Power, Dell Comics (based on McCulley), Disney's Guy Williams, Alex Toth (based on Disney) - these are some of, if not the most iconic, defining interpretations of the character,m all had him use time-appropriate flintlock black-powder pistols.

So when I see people suggest he doesn't use a gun I have to wonder which versions they base it on?

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the 1950's Zorro. I used to watch re-runs when Disney Channel used to play them at night. I really miss watching it. I never watched the 90's version though.

It was called Disney Vault. 1997 - 2002

Anyone remember Watching Zorro on Disney Vault? :p

[YT]T2ol79UVo6c[/YT]

More Zorro pistolero In more modern incarnations:

1990s New World Zorro Duncan Regehr (although I'm not sure of the circumstances here) -
3orDZ6M.jpg

1993 Topps Comics Zorro...
ZRYfrca.jpg

Merchandised ...

sbxatbT.jpg

2000s Before Dynamite, Papercutz had the Comics licence, Written by Don McCregor who if you are familiar knew the character pretty well.-
ZE9UhI3.jpg

2007- Even the Telenovela (based loosely on the Allende novel) got it "right" ...wait no, are those revolvers?
zM0oyrF.jpg

22xxpr.gif

2010-> While Dynamite (and their bizarre no gun stance) has the license in the US,
Silver Fox comics is granted the license in Australia, where unlike Dynamite, they remember Zorro can and will carry a pistol.
XVJaOCC.jpg

I don't know what's going on with Dynamite? They seem to be the ones perpetuating the no pistol misconception...?
2fj8rv.gif

Last edited:
It was called Disney Vault. 1997 - 2002

Anyone remember Watching Zorro on Disney Vault?

[YT]T2ol79UVo6c[/YT]

Vault nighttime block was great, though wasn't crazy about the faux colorizing, but colorizing everything was huge in the 90s, whether it "needed" it or not. They also may have broadcast in B&W, the look, the sets, everything just reads better to me in B&W. , it is nice though, it brought a new generations of fans.

d48klng.jpg

So Shipers - every franchise has them, so who did Disney Zorro fans prefer with Diego/Zorro?

Ellena
elediego.jpg

Rosarita
zorro1-23.jpg

Anna Maria
c8ede633bd674232f8d4e10aa1350eb1.jpg

Terresa ..... Star Trek fans may recognize the younger BarBara Luna ( Lt. Marlena Moreau "Mirror, Mirror)
6yJPv5B.jpg
zndj7mK.jpg

Raquel Toledano
s-l225.jpg

Magdalena
DiegoKiss_SweetFaceOfDanger.jpg

This episode when he finally finds his dying father, and doesn't allow him to let go, but keep dreaming, near wrecked meas a kd. When he doesn't let him see the truth.... I remember yelling at the screen JUST TELL HIM!

22xkt6.gif

22xkrb.gif

Last edited:
Vulture - The Most Popular U.S. TV Shows in 18 Countries Around the World (2015)

There are allot of interesting/peculiar choices throughout that list, but the one that struck me (scroll all the way down) is the last: Argentina a show from over 50 years ago, Zorro is still in their top 5 TV shows.

Are Argentinians the true Disney Zorro diehard fans of the world! ;)
Not surprising they still keep the show alive...

Not mine: Zorro & Tornado

Last edited:
The original Zorro stories will be published this year!

I can finally use my Masters Edition vol 1 as a beer coaster!

The Further Adventures of Zorro (1922) seems to be missing, which was the second wave of McCulley serialized chapters collected in novel form, direct sequel to Curse of Capistrano, ( I believe it's public domain and available for next to nothing on kindle)

He re-introduces what is essentially Zorro's main recurring villain. The Captain he permanently scars in the first.
Like Batman's scarred for life Joker- the Captain blames him for his disfigurement, and becomes crazy obsessed spends the rest of his life plotting and trying to destroy Zorro.
Only instead of his face scarred into a permanent grin. It's a horrible "Z" permanently scarred across his face, so all will know and shun him.
He also knows Diego's secret ID, and King-Pin style uses this against him.
In fact if you are a fan of Miller's D.D. "Born Again" or DKR, the story explores what becomes of his persona when he surrenders his alter ego(potentially his true self), this is essentially Zorro "Born Again"/"Returns".

These may read somewhat hokey and old fashioned to modern readers, but you cans see many of the tropes and ideas that would become staples of comic books, first developed in these proto-superheroes.

---------------------------------------------------------------

1957 - 1960 Vintage footage of Zorro Days at Disneyland:

Jump to 0:50 https://youtu.be/S3fw5lzaSqM?t=50

Lots more footage and POVs here particularly after 3:24
- https://youtu.be/Vccs_qOID6Y?t=204

Last edited:
Also for Disney fans, a little harder to get to than the Mission, is the Lair of the Fox. Tornado's cave (among many more western movie locations) at the Iverson Movie Ranch in Chatsworth, Calif.
Actually, Zorro's lair in the Disney series is a cave known as "Zorro's Cave". "Tornado's Cave" and "Zorro's Cave" are two different caves, and both of them are located at the Iverson Movie Ranch.

The image above is neither Zorro's Cave nor Tornado's Cave.

Tornado's Cave Named after Zorro's horse, the location features in several movies.
It's true that Tornado's Cave is named after Zorro's horse, despite the fact that the horse didn't get that name until 1957 AFAIK. It's also true that Tornado's Cave can be found in many productions, just like Zorro's Cave.

All three images above show the West entrance to Zorro's Cave.

This is the North entrance to Tornado's Cave. As I said above, it's not the same cave as Zorro's Cave.

Also for Disney fans, a little harder to get to than the Mission, is the Lair of the Fox. Tornado's cave (among many more western movie locations) at the Iverson Movie Ranch in Chatsworth, Calif.

MAP- https://www.google.com/maps/place/I...2!3m1!1s0x80c2833bd8850471:0x3841771a72357af2

iverson-movie-ranch-598056.jpg
Actually, Zorro's lair in the Disney series is a cave known as "Zorro's Cave". "Tornado's Cave" and "Zorro's Cave" are two different caves, and both of them are located at the Iverson Movie Ranch.
The image above is neither Zorro's Cave nor Tornado's Cave.

Yep, that's great, didn't say they were the same cave, (actually read what I posted at that image). And didn't say that ^ particular image was Tornado's cave, just indicated a general image and linked to Iverson Movie Ranch map, as general intro to the whole ranch, for anyone interested to explore themselves. Glad you have!

The next image posted is what is clearly labeled "Tornado's cave". :cwink:
Tornado's Cave Named after Zorro's horse, the location features in several movies.
01_Zorro%2527s+Cave_Zorro+Disney+TV.jpg
It's true that Tornado's Cave is named after Zorro's horse, despite the fact that the horse didn't get that name until 1957 AFAIK. It's also true that Tornado's Cave can be found in many productions, just like Zorro's Cave.

True in the original McCulley pulps I've read so far, Zorro only ever refers to his horse as "The Black", neither Fairbanks, or Powers version gave him a name as far as I know, Tornado was first named in the Disney series, where Mculley was brought on as consultant, so he may have named him.

BmTAG0o.jpg

Toth Disney Zorro

Guy%20Williams%20Zorro%20159%208-25-7.jpg

I Love this publicity image of McCulley and Guy Williams together!

Anyway, you really broke down my post:oldrazz:, I guess you signed in just for that? I hadn't realized it had been quoted until today. Great to see another Zorro fan! And the thread get some love.

Bellow why I actually wanted to post today!

Last edited:
Jan 14th: Happy Birthday Guy (Armando Catalano) Williams!

RIP and happy b-day, the one who was, and always will be my favorite Zorro!

jWs42a6.gif

u27ge.gif

941351fd3b1d5bd803570c9fa4a86e6b--guy-williams-zorro-tv-westerns.jpg

Also if there are any collectors out there, as a follow up to the 50th Anniversary pin Disney recently released a Zorro 60th anniversary pin.

0d818ba35a850f688af1e5cc358a3a5c.jpg

Also sorry about all the photoshop pollution on the thread, I'll try and get some of those images uploaded elsewhere.

Last edited:
yep, that's great, didn't say they were the same cave, (actually read what i posted at that image). And didn't say that ^ particular image was tornado's cave, just indicated a general image and linked to iverson movie ranch map, as general intro to the whole ranch, for anyone interested to explore themselves. Glad you have!

It's true that you didn't say this image...

iverson-movie-ranch-598056.jpg

... was related in any way to Zorro (for those who care: those are Hawk Rock and The Sentries, situated on a part of the Iverson Movie Ranch known as Garden of the Gods):

2008-Sentries-Hawk+Rock-noted.png

Still, I think the first part of your message is ambiguous enough that someone may misunderstand it and believe the first picture is related to the Disney show, and in fact a French forum who talked about the cave used your post as an inspiration, but misunderstood the meaning of the first picture and though it was referring to the cave where Zorro hid Tornado:

Les décors de Zorro - Les Ailes Immortelles

the next image posted is what is clearly labeled "tornado's cave". :cwink:
That's the problem: the cave you labeled "Tornado's Cave" is actually "Zorro's Cave". Both of them are at Iverson and both of them have Zorro-related names, but they are different caves.

The only picture you posted of Tornado's Cave is the last one:

Belle+Starr+-+Zorro%27s+Cave.jpg

This picture of Tornado's Cave, and the three pictures of Zorro's Cave you posted, all come from photographer Jerry England's website. He is a great expert of Iverson, though he made the mistake of saying that all of those four pictures show Zorro's Cave. Well, even the best occasionally make mistakes.

EDIT: ABOUT THE LAST IMAGE, JERRY ENGLAND'S WEBSITE NOW SAYS: "A similar cave as seen in Belle Starr (1941) starring Randolph Scott, Gene Tierney, and Dana Andrews, is not Zorro's Cave, but a second smaller archway located further west in the Iverson Gorge. Thanks to the fan who pointed this one out to me."
I STILL HAVE TO VERIFY IF IT'S ACTUALLY TORNADO'S CAVE, AS THE EDITING OF THAT SCENE IMPLIES, OR IF THEY RECREATED IT IN A SOUNDSTAGE.

anyway, you really broke down my post:oldrazz:, i guess you signed in just for that?
Indeed, I signed in because I noticed the mistake of confusing Tornado's Cave and Zorro's Cave. It's a common mistake made by many people, and I admit the first time I heard of them I thought they were just two different names for the same cave, until someone pointed out my mistake. Given that these pages can be read by anyone, and will be read for many years, I thought that pointing out this misconception was important. I started studying Zorro's Cave in 2014-2015 when I first heard of it, and even now I learn new things, including some things I found out this very month.

That was the reason I signed in, and after doing that I thought I could also point out in the same message that your first picture was neither Zorro's Cave nor Tornado's Cave.

I hadn't realized it had been quoted until today. Great to see another zorro fan! And the thread get some love.
And I haven't realized I had been answered by you until today. Given that my message was quoting a 2015 message, I didn't expect to receive an answer at all.

I also didn't expect to post here again, but you are right that this thread deserves some love!

True in the original mcculley pulps i've read so far, zorro only ever refers to his horse as "the black", neither fairbanks, or powers version gave him a name as far as i know, tornado was first named in the disney series, where mculley was brought on as consultant, so he may have named him.
You mentioned McCulley's pulps, but I know very little of them, since they are really hard to find online, except the first and maby the second story. If you read them, can you explain to me how many retcons McCulley did to his first story, which ended with Zorro publicy unmasking and Diego about to marry Lolita? I heard that Ramon is still alive in the second story and later stories have Zorro's identity still a secret, is it true? Did Diego and Lolita eventually marry in some story, did they remain perpetual fiances, or did she eventually die or just disappear from the stories? And does Diego still bother with wearing the Zorro costume in the stories in which his identity is known by everybody?

Also, does the evil commandante remain the same, or do they change regualrly? And after which point the stories became standalone, if they did? How many people know about Zorro's identity after the retcon? How many characters from "The Curse of Capistrano" became recurring characters in later stories, and how many characters introduced in later stories became recurring characters?

Did Sergeant Garcia appear in McCulley's stories before appearing in the Disney series? And how many plots of the Disney series were taken from McCulley's stories? Did Diego's name change from "Vega" to "de la Vega" in McCulley's stories before the Disney series premiered? What role has Bernardo in later stories?

Did McCulley eventually adopt the costume used in the Fairbanks movie rather than the sombrero and full-face mask, and did he ever incorporate the secret passage gimmick also introduced by Fairbanks into his tales? And do you know other bits of trivia about McCulley's Zorro stories that would be interesting and/or surprising to people who have only read "The Curse of Capistrano" and mainly know the Zorro of the movies and the various tv series?

That's a lot of questions! I guess this topic has the potential to go on for a while.

Last edited:
OK, thanks for clearing that ^ up.
I remember thinking one matches up with the shots where Tornado is usually turned around, and then begins his run.
Then there is usually an exterior shot for him exiting.
Is that the second cave?
Do you have any captures showing Zorro there? Or vid grab which shows where each was used?
I started studying Zorro's Cave in 2014-2015 when I first heard of it, and even now I learn new things, including some things I found out this very month.
Please share anything else you got.
And I haven't realized I had been answered by you until today. Given that my message was quoting a 2015 message, I didn't expect to receive an answer at all.

I also didn't expect to post here again, but you are right that this thread deserves some love! .
Hey, it was Guy Armando Catalano's b-day, I had to look up the thread.
To my happy surprise it had been active.

You mentioned McCulley's pulps, but I know very little of them, since they are really hard to find online, except the first and maby the second story. If you read them, can you explain to me how many retcons McCulley did to his first story, which ended with Zorro publicy unmasking and Diego about to marry Lolita? I heard that Ramon is still alive in the second story and later story have Zorro's identity still a secret, is it true? Did Diego and Lolita eventually marry in some story, did they remain perpetual fiances, or did she eventually die or just disappear from the stories? And does Diego still bother with wearing the Zorro costume in the stories in which his identity is known by everybody?

Also, does the evil commandante remain the same, or do they change regualrly? And after which point the stories became standalone, if they did? How many people know about Zorro's identity after the retcon? How many characters from "The Curse of Capistrano" became recurring characters in later stories, and how many characters introduced in later stories became recurring characters?

Did Sergeant Garcia appear in McCulley's stories before appearing in the Disney series? And how many plots of the Disney series were taken from McCulley's stories? Did Diego's name change from "Vega" to "de la Vega" in McCulley's stories before the Disney series premiered? What role has Bernardo in later stories?

Did McCulley eventually adopt the costume used in the Fairbanks movie rather than the sombrero and full-face mask, and did he ever incorporate the secret passage gimmick also introduced by Fairbanks into his tales? And do you know other bits of trivia about McCulley's Zorro stories that would be interesting and/or surprising to people who have only read "The Curse of Capistrano" and mainly know the Zorro of the movies and the various tv series?

That's a lot of questions! I guess this topic has the potential to go on for a while.

LOL, that is allot of questions. It's been a few years since I read them, so going from what I remember, You really do need to read McCulley for yourself, cause me breaking them down in trying to answer, doesn't do them justice.

Spoiler:

The retcons?
Curse of Capistrano, published in novel form as Mark of Zorro after Fairbanks film, was obviously written as a one-off story with a definitive reveal and end.
With the success of the Fairbanks movie, McCulley was thankfully compelled to keep the character and stories going.

Captain Ramón is run through the heart in Curse/Mark, does he actually die? We are told Zorro leaves him for dead, yet he is still twitching when he leaves.
So that does leave room for him to have survived.

And he does, yes Captain Ramón is revealed to be the villain of in Further Adventures.
In a great scene where the mysterious new villain pulls off his hood, out of the shadow you see on his face the horrible mark of Zorro, (like the Joker) scared for life across his face, you realize he survived! He blames Zorro, and has become obsessed with destroying him.

He is however killed by the end of Further Adventures, It's important to know, he, his garrison, the past Governor and many who knew Diego was Zorro have been run out of town.

Diego's identity reveal, isn't so much retconed away, McCulley in the sequels actually acknowledges and makes it part of the story. He in fact explores the effects of Don Diego losing his secret ID.

In Further Adventures - With the villain defeated and his identity outed, Zorro and sword are retired.
He and the Dons who know his secret life (yes, they saw him pull off the mask, this is still canon), now fear that without the "real" identity, without the call to adventure, and a cause to spur him on, he'll become the languid, disinterested persona he once invented to throw off the enemy.

When the city is attacked by pirates, and his fiance (Lolita from Mark) is kidnapped, it calls him back to action once again!
Diego is dead, and his real self; Zorro is born again!

But it is not as disguise this time, as people know him, but as a way to channel his real inner strength, he needs it, he retakes the fox "identity" and sword!

We learn these Pirates who sacked the city, and kidnapped his fiance, are hired guns, by non-other than Captain Ramón.

In the next story - Zorro Rides Again - the identity reveal, is again acknowledged by McCulley (it is not retconed away) it is again referenced and the fact is exploited in story by his ememies.
With Ramon and his garrison gone, a new Comandante who only knows Zorro and Vega stories second hand, therefore only suspects he is Zorro, he needs proof, and the Dons who helped him in Curse/Mask are not willing to give up their friend. Hoping to out him and ruin Diego Vega, the Comandante has someone disguises himself as Zorro, and begin a campaign of terror and murder against the people Zorro once protected.

Now knowing who Zorro is and defending him has becomes a liability. To clear his name Diego must don the mask, sword and identity again, now there are two Zorros. He sews confusion, fights his way to exposing the fake, clearing both his Vega name and convincing the new Comandante he is not Zorro.
That the real one is still out there.

This of course sets up, for all the ongoing stories, that there is still a mystery Zorro out there, it could be anyone?
Again except those closest to him, they are never again sure if it's the retired Vega who came out of hiding , or not.
The game of deception, at which he excels, is to continuously mislead, and prove it wasn't him.

As new Comandantes come and go, the legend and mystery spreads, enemies are vanquished, people who knew him come and go, and only rumors remain.
The truth becomes "blurred", and the mystery and legend persists. It is in this context that most the later stories unfold.

As to recurring characters.
Lolita they are married, but she does eventually die.
Fray Felipe reappears.
Bernardo importance comes and goes.
There is another Native American Jose of the Cocopahs, actually much more interesting, him and his tribe becomes an ongoing friend and allies who rides with him, before there was Tonto.
Also a (somewhat reformed) Pirate Bardoso, who started as his enemy and becomes an ally.
The big boastful Gonzales of Mark, is eventually replaced by Garcia, the Garcia for the Disney series is somewhat a hybrid of the two.

To be continued....

Last edited:
If you read them, can you explain to me how many retcons McCulley did to his first story, which ended with Zorro publicy unmasking

Diego's identity reveal at the end of Curse/Mark remains canon, McCulley did not retcon that, it sill happened, and in fact plays into his next two stories which deal with it.

I heard that Ramon is still alive in the second story
Yes, see above, he survived. And returns with his face and mind horribly scared, bearing the mark. It's great!
He pretty much becomes Zorro's Joker.

and later story have Zorro's identity still a secret, is it true?
Yes, see above. There is no great retcon or contradiction.

Also, does the evil commandante remain the same, or do they change regualrly?
New Governor, Comandantes, Captain, and soldiers come and go.

And after which point the stories became standalone, if they did?
Not sure what this means?

How many people know about Zorro's identity after the retcon?

Again, this is a misconception, (likely perpetuated by the wording in the wikipedia article, read the stories not wiki) it wasn't retconed, it still happened as McCulley described it, see above.
McCulley did not change that, he in fact wrote stories exploiting it. Those closest to Diego still know. Doubt is sewn among everyone else, and he consistently fools his enemies into believing he can't be Zorro, that is always part of the ongoing drama.

How many characters from "The Curse of Capistrano" became recurring characters in later stories,
As indicated Gonzalez although he might be eventually somewhat reworked into Garcia (I need to re-read where Garcia was introduced, if he's the same one who stuck around), Fray Felipe, Bernardo, obviously his father.

and how many characters introduced in later stories became recurring characters?
Significant are:
Jose of the Cocopah
The Pirate Bardoso.
Sergeant Gonzalez / Garcia.

Did Sergeant Garcia appear in McCulley's stories before appearing in the Disney series?

I'll have to track down where exactly Garcia first appeared, but he was also in McCulley's stories, I think Gonzales was somewhat re-imagined / replaced by Garcia first by McCulley himself, I have to re read where/if that transition happened? , then for the Disney series where he was a bit of a hybrid of the two.

And how many plots of the Disney series were taken from McCulley's stories?

He was consultant on the Disney series, while there is some that I remember being similar, I don't know that any were direct remakes, but I have not read all the McCulley stories. And it's been a while since I re-watched all the Disney.

Here he is with two of his proud character creations!
wU9OTas.jpg

Did Diego's name change from "Vega" to "de la Vega" in McCulley's stories before the Disney series premiered?
I'm not sure when it was first changed to "de la" Vega, I'm also guessing it was first at Disney, which actually makes more sense for the name.

Did McCulley eventually adopt the costume used in the Fairbanks movie rather than the sombrero and full-face mask,
Don't think it was really considered as a "costume" that seems to be modern superhero-readers convenience projecting backwards onto the character. It was more just black riding gear, attire.
McCulley didn't really have to "adopt" anything, his description was vague enough, and remained pretty consistent.
He first described Zorro with a "sombrero", "long cloak" and a "black mask over his face that effectually concealed his features, and through the two slits in it, his eyes glittered ominously."
He'd reference the gloves as black, shirt etc. as black, and often describe the sword, pistol, dagger, whip going into his belt/sash and scabbard.

What type of "sombrero" was never described by McCulley, it just means hat in Spanish non-descript, the cover artist to All-Story Weekly interpreted as somewhat a more Mexican style sombrero, as far as I know it was not illustrated inside, while Fairbanks had a more Spanish cordobés style hat, which is what stuck.
As far as illustrations inside, the mask alternated sometimes following Fairbanks half face in Argosy,
5xxE7ir.jpg

YeS302C.jpg

and then back to the full mask in West magazine.

i6qtnRy.jpg

Quoted from story above^: "Bernardo had tethered the black horse Zorro rode. ..he pulled a roll of clothing, Zorro's attire. Another bundle contained Zorro's blade, his pistol, powder horn and pouch of bullets. In the darkness, Don Diego Vega changed his attire and became Zorro, dressed in all black, with a black mask over his face."

This was a pretty standard description.

0WM6HIA.jpg
(hey look, he has his pistol!)

and did he ever incorporate the secret passage gimmick also introduced by Fairbanks into his tales?
The secret passage while first depicted in Fairbanks, definitely showed up in story, and part of it even ran underground and opened into the Mission/Church in town.

Last edited:
NOTE: THIS MESSAGE CONTAINS SOME MISTAKES, AS I WRONGLY CLAIM THAT THE BACK ENTRANCE OF THE CAVE SHOWN IN EPISODE 2 HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH A SOUNDSTAGE CAVE IN SOME SCENES. THESE MISTAKES WERE CORRECTED IN THIS MESSAGE FROM SEPTEMBER 2018.

OK, thanks for clearing that ^ up.
It was a pleasure.

I remember thinking one matches up with the shots where Tornado is usually turned around, and then begins his run.
Then there is usually an exterior shot for him exiting.
Is that the second cave?
Do you have any captures showing Zorro there? Or vid grab which shows where each was used?

Please share anything else you got.

This is a video someone uploaded on YouTube back in 2007, and it gave me an idea of how the cave is structured much more than still pictures did (I have never seen the cave in person, and in fact I have never even been to America yet):

The West entrance to the cave appears at 1:00, and after filming it for a while the person holding the camera enters it and then exits from the East entrance at around 1:28. For a while he films the area around the cave, mostly with the East entrance at his back, then he turns around and we see the East entrance and the area around it from the outside, from 2:09 to 2:17.

The West entrance is easy to recognize, having the shape of a downward V with a 45-degree diagonal rock on the left and a boulder under it:

02_Zorro%2527s+Cave+2009.jpg

The photo above was taken in 2009, and shortly after that a metal gate was put in front of the West entrance:

recent-Zorro%2527s%2BCave%2Bw%2Bgate.jpg

The gate was put by the person who owns the 16 acres or so area on the eastern side of the cave, since Zorro's Cave was often used by people to access his property from the condo area on the western side of the cave. There are still other ways to see the East entrance, and the cave can be accessed from there since that entrance does not have a gate.

The East entrance can be recognized by the diagonal rock at the left and the two boulders, one on top of another, at the right, and there is a tree right outside the entrance. The picture in the follwing link is particularly useful to compare the two boulders at the right of the screen, while the diagonal rock at the left is mostly outside the frame:

Here is a map of the Lower Iverson Movie Ranch:

03_2011+lower+Iverson+aerial.jpg

And here you can see where Zorro's Cave is located:

02_GOTG:Cal-West+tour+map.jpg

It's easy to remember the location, since the condos on the right form a letter Y, and on a map the cave is just under the top right house of the letter Y.

In 2001, Guy Williams was posthumously given a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and people around the world came to the ceremony, which was also attended by most of Zorro's surviving cast, other than Williams' family of course. The group visited some of the scenes were Zorro was shot including Zorro's Cave, under the guide of Steve Stevens who played Rudolfo in an episode. There are a couple of online pages documenting these events.

Anyway, about the way the cave is used in the Disney series, it is important to notice that the only episodes in which orignal footage of the secret cave is shown are episode 1x02 ("Zorro's Secret Passage") and episode 1x08 ("Zorro's Ride Into Terror"). All other appearances of the secret cave are stock footage from episode 1x02, or from episode 1x08, or from a combination of both. Granted, we see original footage of the secret passages in many episodes, and the underground tunnel leading to the cave (introduced in episode 1x02) is shown again in episode 2x38, in a scene that then becomes stock footage... but like I said, no more original footage of the secret cave itself except for 1x02 and 1x08.

In episode 1x02, Diego takes Bernardo for a tour of the secret passages. When Diego says "I though you'd be surpised!", they are at the end of the underground tunnel, which was filmed in the Disney studio with fake cave walls. Then Tornado's music theme starts, and there is a set switch, covered by a camera cut, and we see the West entrance of Zorro's Cave, with the 45-degree rock at the left and all other markers that allow an easy identification. Look at Diego's ribbon, which is tidy before the cut and moved by the wind in the next scene: this shows that the scenes before and after the cut were shot at different times.

The scene after the cut is shot from an angle that makes it seem all we see on the screen is inside the cave, while the truth is that the area in front of the 45-degree diagonal rock at the left is outside the cave. But for the purposes of the show it was necessary to show that one end of the cave was connected to the underground tunnel under the hacienda, even though in real life neither end is connected to anything.

We then cut to the entrance covered by greenery, with a stick to prevent Tornado from escaping. This location seems very similar to the East entrance seen from the inside, as shown in the YouTube video above, but I was told by an Iverson expert that the actual cave is not that large, meaning the location was recreated in the studio. I wonder why did they bother to make it so similar to the real entrance which wouldn't even be shown in any scene, but a strong clue that this is indeed a studio location is Diego's ribbon, which is tidy again. This doesn't necessarily means the scene was shown together with the scene in which he comes out of the tunnel, since Diego's ribbon is tidy most of the time. On the other hand, the scene with the messy ribbon is the only one which was shot at the actual cave, while the scene before it and the one after it were not.

Diego and Bernardo then walk through the greenery and emerge outside:

ah135_102.jpg

2-7.jpg

I can't say for sure if the greenery shots from the inside and from the outside were shot at the same location, but it may be. The Iverson expert doesn't think the outside lcation is the actual East entrance of Zorro's Cave, and I think he is right because I noticed that there wouldn't be the space for all the greenery wall, which is longer in the video than in the two pictures above, and we don't even see where it ends.

Look at this video from film historian Bill Sasser, who died recently:

From 6:14 to 6:46 we see Zorro's Cave, and the still image that starts at 6:41 shows that there is no room for the greenery wall to continue at the left of the entrance, especially if you use the following two pictures to get an idea of the measures of the place compared to a human being:

iv25.jpg

caveback.jpg

So, if the greenery scenes above weren't filmed at the actual cave, where were they filmed? Maybe they were filmed at the Disney studio, and indeed this link...

The Mark of Zorro Johnston McCulley Forge Books @ Books and knowledge

... contains the following message from a certail Jamail:

"One of the highlights of my life was an employee tour of the Walt Disney Studio when I got to walk up to a bushy outgrowth on the perimeter of the studio property, which turned out to be the area where Zorro was filmed “emerging” from the cave on Toronado."

I tried contacting her for more details, but so far I have been unable to do so. Maybe someone else will know something about these employee tours.

JULY 2019 UPDATE: I HAVE SUCCEEDED IN CONTACTING HER. HERE IS HER ANSWER.

Anyway, after emerging from the greenery Diego and Bernardo come to this place:

ah133_102.jpg

The camera cut covered a set switch: we are at Lower Iverson Movie Ranch again, but the place is over 400 meters away from Zorro's Cave, and the nearest entrance is actually the West entrance. The place is in the Garden of the Gods area, with Old Yeller Tree (which doesn't exist anymore) at the right, Sphinx on the top, and Harum Scarum Cluster in the middle of the image. We can't see Rock Tower because it is covered by Sphinx, but in the background we see the rock formation near Rock Tower. Usually Rock Tower is shown at the left and Sphinx at the right, like this:

04_1938+Renegade+Ranger+GOTG1.jpg

A similar shot from a 1936 movie:

1936-Song%2Bof%2Bthe%2BSaddle-cabin%2Bw%2BSphinx.jpg

1936-Song%2Bof%2Bthe%2BSaddle-cabin%2Bw%2BSphinx-noted.png

The same area today:

2015-Central+GoG-cabin+area.png

2015-Central+GoG-cabin+area-noted.png

Harum Scarum Cluster from the 1936 movie:

1936-Song%2Bof%2Bthe%2BSaddle-cabin%2Barea%2Bw%2BHarum%2BScarum%2BCluster-noted.png

From a 1928 movie:

1928-Revenge+2-Harum+Scarum+Cluster-noted.png

Old Yeller Tree from the 1936 movie:

1936-Song%2Bof%2Bthe%2BSaddle-cabin%2Barea%2Bw%2BOld%2BYeller%2BTree-noted.png

Elvis Presley in front of Harum Scarum Cluster for a promo shot:

1965-Harum%2BScarum%2BPS-b%3Aw.png

Harum Scarum Cluster today, pointing out the rocks behind Elvis:

2015-Central%2BGoG-Harum%2BScarum%2Btent%2Bscene-noted.png

John Payne and Ronald Reagan in front of Harum Scarum Cluster, in the 1955 movie "Tennessee's Partner":

1955-Tennessee%27s%2BPartner-John%2BPayne-Ronald%2BReagan-Central%2BGoG.jpg

Harum Scarum Cluster today, pointing out the rocks behind Payne and Reagan:

2015-Central+GoG-Harum+Scarum+tent+scene-noted+2.png

Back to Diego and Bernardo: after another camera cut/set switch, they leave the Sphinx/Harum Scarum Cluster/Old Yeller Tree area and are again in front of the greenery, which was probably at the Disney studio. They come back "inside", which is a studio shot, then the camera cuts to the West entrance, and Diego's ribbon is messy again, despite the fact that it was still tidy while he was at the fake entrance witht he greenery: another proof of the set switch.

Later in the episode, we see Zorro, which is stuntman Buddy Van Horn, mounting Tornado, turning the horse around, and beginning his run: this is once again the West entrance with the 45-degree diagonal rock at the left, which had already been shown before in the episode and which you correctly identified:

ah82_218.jpg

Then there is a wide exterior shot of Zorro and Tornado riding trough the greenery and exiting the cave, and the interesting thing is that this time they used the East entrance of the actual Zorro's Cave (usually referred to as the back entrance, while the West entrance is referred to as the front entrance):

ah81_218.jpg

Most night scenes, including this one, were filmed during daylight and then darkened in post-production. However, some later episodes replaying this clip as stock footage showed the same scene taking place during daytime to fit the need of the episode, and other times the scene was darkened but less than in episode 1x02. The picture above is not from 1x02, but from a later episode which shows the same scene without darkening it, and this helps us.

To mantain continuity with what we saw before, the scene of Zorro riding out of the cave is followed by Zorro riding through the Sphinx/Harum Scarum Cluster/Old Yeller area.

Later near the end of 1x02 we see, for the only time in the series, Zorro riding back to the secret cave, but this scene was darkened even further than the previous one, and without any help fron non-darkened stock footage we barely see what's happening. Still, it's obvious that this is still the East entrance of the actual Zorro's Cave, filmed from the same angle than the previous cave scene.

In episode 1x08, we see three scenes with close-ups of the greenery outside the cave and three scenes inside the cave. The inside of the cave is clearly a fake cave built in a soundstage, and I'll show below two images of that fake cave:

ah84_126.jpg

ah85_108.jpg

I'm not 100% sure about the outside scenes, but they were clearly not filmed at Iverson:

8-12.jpg

To me, it seems a fake cave wall, and I also think it's different from the greenery outside of the cave clos-ups in episode 1x02. It may be the outside of the fake cave, but what prevents me from being sure is that the greenery when Alejandro come outseems sparse in the inside shot and dense in the outside shot.

Episodes 1x02 and 1x08 are both on YouTube, so you can check my explanations and see if they seem convincing to you. Please tell me if something was not clear or if you think I made some mistakes.

In addition to Disney's Zorro, Zorro's Cave had previously been shown as the secret cave of Zorro in the 1944 serial "Ghost of Zorro". The inside of the cave was a fake cave built in a soundstage, but for the entrance seen from the outside they used the East entrance of Zorro's Cave. Here the cave doesn't lead to an hacienda or any other place, and there isn't greenery or anything to hide the entrance, which in fact gets discovered at one point. Is it a coincidence that the same rock formation was used for Zorro's secret cave in two different productions? I think so, but I can't prove it. Even before that, the 1939 serial "Zorro's Fighting Legion" had the West entrance to Zorro's Cave as the entrance the the bad guy's cave, while the interior of the cave was a fake cave built in a soundstage. Of course, Zorro's Cave is also in many non-Zorro related productions.

Tornado's Cave is a different cave on Lower Iverson Movie Ranch, situated near the Lone Ranger Rock:

2014+Google+aerial-Lower+Iverson-Tornado%27s+Cave+noted.png

I don't know why it was named after Zorro's horse since its connection with Zorro is really minimal:
*Zorro's horse, there named El Rey, hide for a few seconds in front of its Noth entrance in the 1937 serial "Zorro Rides Again"
*In the 1944 serial "Zorro's Black Whip", which actually didn't involve Zoro at all, the entrance to the bad guy's cave is through a fake mine built at the South entrance of Tornado's Cave

.. and that's it. As I said, the cave has virtually no connction to Zorro. It is a small cave, even smaller than Zorro's Cave, and most of the time it was shown from the North entrance because the South entrance was covered by the fake mine entrance, which remained in place for many years even though it was often remodeled.

Here is a video from Jerry Condit that starts by showing Tornado's Cave:

LACC Iverson Location Ranch tour with Jerry Condit

The clip from Disney's Zorro only serves to show Tornado the horse to the viewers, since it was just mentioned, and of course doesn't mean the secret cave shown in that clip, from episode 1x08, is Tornado's Cave. I think any other Tornado clip not involving a cave would have been less confusing.

If you are interested in Tornado's Cave and Tornado's Mine, you can read many interesting facts here:

Iverson Movie Ranch: Tornado's Cave and the "phantom limb"
Iverson Movie Ranch: Tornado's Mine: A little-known artifact of the filming era on the Lower Iverson

I'm ending this post here, but I'll answer the rest of your message when I have time.

Last edited:
Damn El Zorro.....you've given me a week's worth of reading in your posts. :)

Great research and post El Zorro.
A lot to take in there. Thanks!

Making some gifs of some of the scenes you reference.

231uvg.gif

231v36.gif

231vea.gif

Actually looks like the background where they emerge is a green-screen or the 1950s equivalent.

231vim.gif

231vxf.gif

2326vi.gif

Wow that is dark, will look for the not-darkened "daytime" shot.

Last edited:
LOL, that is allot of questions. It's been a few years since I read them, so going from what I remember, You really do need to read McCulley for yourself, cause me breaking them down in trying to answer, doesn't do them justice.
I'd like to do so, but most stories are really hard to find. So, for the time being I'll use your answers to increase my knowledge of McCulley's Zorro stories.

By the way, how many Zorro's stories by McCulley have you read? And how big would be a single book containing all these stories, compared to, say, a book containing all the Sherlock Holmes stories by Conan Doyle?

Spoiler:

The retcons?
Curse of Capistrano, published in novel form as Mark of Zorro after Fairbanks film, was obviously written as a one-off story with a definitive reveal and end.
With the success of the Fairbanks movie, McCulley was thankfully compelled to keep the character and stories going.

Captain Ramón is run through the heart in Curse/Mark, does he actually die? We are told Zorro leaves him for dead, yet he is still twitching when he leaves.
So that does leave room for him to have survived.

And he does, yes Captain Ramón is revealed to be the villain of in Further Adventures.
In a great scene where the mysterious new villain pulls off his hood, out of the shadow you see on his face the horrible mark of Zorro, (like the Joker) scared for life across his face, you realize he survived! He blames Zorro, and has become obsessed with destroying him.

He is however killed by the end of Further Adventures, It's important to know, he, his garrison, the past Governor and many who knew Diego was Zorro have been run out of town.
I'll have to read "The Curse of Capistrano" again, but Zorro seemed pretty sure of Ramon's death: it would be really hard for him to mistake scratching someone on the surface of the chest, which one can survive, with running it through the heart, which one can't survive. In "The Further Adventures of Zorro", is Zorro surprised that Ramon is still alive?

Diego's identity reveal, isn't so much retconed away, McCulley in the sequels actually acknowledges and makes it part of the story. He in fact explores the effects of Don Diego losing his secret ID.

In Further Adventures - With the villain defeated and his identity outed, Zorro and sword are retired.
He and the Dons who know his secret life (yes, they saw him pull off the mask, this is still canon), now fear that without the "real" identity, without the call to adventure, and a cause to spur him on, he'll become the languid, disinterested persona he once invented to throw off the enemy.

When the city is attacked by pirates, and his fiance (Lolita from Mark) is kidnapped, it calls him back to action once again!
Diego is dead, and his real self; Zorro is born again!

But it is not as disguise this time, as people know him, but as a way to channel his real inner strength, he needs it, he retakes the fox "identity" and sword!

We learn these Pirates who sacked the city, and kidnapped his fiance, are hired guns, by non-other than Captain Ramón.

In the next story - Zorro Rides Again - the identity reveal, is again acknowledged by McCulley (it is not retconed away) it is again referenced and the fact is exploited in story by his ememies.
With Ramon and his garrison gone, a new Comandante who only knows Zorro and Vega stories second hand, therefore only suspects he is Zorro, he needs proof, and the Dons who helped him in Curse/Mask are not willing to give up their friend. Hoping to out him and ruin Diego Vega, the Comandante has someone disguises himself as Zorro, and begin a campaign of terror and murder against the people Zorro once protected.
So, the new comandante from "Zorro Rides Again" knows from second hand sources about Zorro's unmasking, and he is still not convinced that Diego is Zorro? Anyway, if he acts like Diego is the most plausible Zorro suspect then I guess it makes sense, though it's hard to judge the narrative choices of stories I have yet to read.

Now knowing who Zorro is and defending him has becomes a liability. To clear his name Diego must don the mask, sword and identity again, now there are two Zorros. He sews confusion, fights his way to exposing the fake, clearing both his Vega name and convincing the new Comandante he is not Zorro.
That the real one is still out there.
If I understand correctly, Diego had to hide until the impostor was defeated: that is an original take on the "Zorro impostor" gimmick from later works, in which people attack Zorro whenever they see him, but Diego can walk around freely.

Anyway, if the real Zorro publicly challanged, defeated and unmasked the impostor, how does this prove that the real Zorro is not Diego? Unless he somehow created a fake alibi for when he was confronting the impostor, which would allow Diego to claim the new Zorro is a copycat rather than himself.

This of course sets up, for all the ongoing stories, that there is still a mystery Zorro out there, it could be anyone?
Again except those closest to him, they are never again sure if it's the retired Vega who came out of hiding , or not.
The game of deception, at which he excels, is to continuously mislead, and prove it wasn't him.
So, in subsequent stories he has to create more fake alibis every time someone suspects the new Zorro is not a copycat but Diego himself? Not sure how I would feel about this strange way to portray a secret identity, but I guess it's the only thing McCulley could do to mantain what happened in the first story.

new Comandantes come and go
Indeed, I see that this book...

https://books.google.it/books?id=d9...epage&q="further adventures of zorro"&f=false

... says the same thing, as it quotes pulpologist Will Murray saying
"Captain of the local soldiers was a very hazardous job with Zorro around. One man after another took the post only to be scarred and run out by Zorro. Captain Carlos Ortega was a major figure in West, lasting through the first fourteen issues before leaving."

Of course, Ortega is also the name of a captain from Disney's Zorro (episodes 1x20, 1x21 and 1x22), who is actually Eagle agent Sancho Fernandez that is impersonating the real Ortega after killing him. One may think it is a coincidence, given that Disney's Ortega is named Juan rather than Carlos, that Ortega is a common Spanish surname, and that McCulley's Ortega wasn't an impersonator now was he part of any Eagle conspiracy. However, I don't think it's a coincidence, but it must be a homage, since the plot of this McCulley short story featuring Ortega...

http://www.zorrolegend.com/origin/zorropenscage.html

... is, with few changes, nearly identical to the first half of Disney's Zorro episode 1x21 featuring Ortega. Which is why I asked if there were other cases of borrowed plots.

As to recurring characters.
Lolita they are married, but she does eventually die.
In which story do they marry? In which story does she die, and of what cause? Did they had children? Does Diego have other love interests in subsequent stories?

Fray Felipe reapers.
I guessed so. My memory of him his literary version is that of the friar of Los Angeles, rather than the friar of the San Gabriel Mission as in the Disney series.

Bernardo importance comes and goes.
I wonder how Bernardo can play any significant role, given that in the first story we learn that he "cannot speak or hear, cannot write or read, and have not sense enough to make [his] wants known by the sign language". Did McCulley revise in any way the character in later stories? If I remember correctly, a Bernardo who could hear was already present in the Fairbanks movies way before the Disney series, though I don't remember if that Bernardo was also pretending to be deaf or not. I also remember Bernardo being big in "Curse" rather than being "the little one", I think he was a native in McCulley and the Fairbanks moview rather than a Spaniard like in the Disney series.

There is another Native American Jose of the Cocopahs, actually much more interesting, him and his tribe becomes an ongoing friend and allies who rides with him, before there was Tonto.
Also a (somewhat reformed) Pirate Bardosa, who started as his enemy and becomes an ally.
The big boastful Gonzales of Mark, is eventually replaced by Garcia, the Garcia for the Disney series is somewhat a hybrid of the two.
Interesting. Do you know in which stories they made their debut and how often do they appear? I am particularly interested in Garcia given his importance in the Disney series.

And in the book I linked above Garcia's first name was said to be Manuel, rather than Demetrio Lopez. Did Gonzales got replaced by Garcia all of a sudden, or did they share some stories?

Anyway, the "fusion" of Gonzales and Garcia is somehow testified by the 1990's Japanese Zorro anime, which has a sergeant called Gonzales in some dubs and Garcia in other dubs.

Not sure what this means?
By standalone stories, I mean stories that can be read in any order, as in an event of a story is not influenced by the story that came before it and doesn't influence the story that comes after it. Were most of McCulley's Zorro stories standalone tales, or did most of them started where the previous story ended, like "Further Adventures" did with "Curse"?

Again, this is a misconception, (likely perpetuated by the wording in the wikipedia article, read the stories not wiki)
Well, the good thing about Wikipedia is that if there is an error it can be corrected by anyone. However at the moment I don't feel like editing that bit personally, since I have yet to read the stories in question.

wU9OTas.jpg
He looks like a midget among Zorro and Garcia! Of course, it is because Guy Williams was 6'3" and Henry Calvin was 6'2", so maybe McCulley was just of average height or slightly below average.

I'm not sure when it was first changed to "de la" Vega, I'm also guessing it was first at Disney, which actually makes more sense for the name.
I also like "de la Vega" better, but I see that sources differ as to who between McCulley's later stories and the Disney series changed the surname. Hopefully this discussion will clarify the matter once and for all.

Don't think it was really considered as a "costume" that seems to be modern superhero-readers convenience projecting backwards onto the character. It was more just black riding gear, attire.
Maybe it wasn't as elaborate as superhero costumes would later be, but I think that when people saw Zorro, they instantly knew it was him rather than a random masked bandit, despite the fact that most bandits also cover their faces to avoid being recognized. Or is my memory wrong about him being recognized as being Zorro?

McCulley didn't really have to "adopt" anything, his description was vague enough, and remained pretty consistent.
Well, in "The Curse of Capistrano" Zorro has to raise the bottom of his mask to kiss, eat and drink, so he clearly wasn't wearing the half-face mask introduced by Fairbanks and adopted in most later versions. If McCulley ever had Zorro wearing a half mask (and I said "if" because I don't know if he ever did it) then I guess it is correct to say that he "adopted" Fairbanks' version of the mask.

He described Zorro with a "sombrero", "long cloak" and a "black mask over his face that effectually concealed his features, and through the two slits in it, his eyes glittered ominously."
He'd reference the gloves as black, shirt etc. as black, and often describe the sword, pistol, dagger, whip going into his belt/sash and scabbard.

What type of "sombrero" was never described by McCulley, it just means hat in Spanish non-descript, the cover artist to All-Story Weekly interpreted as somewhat a more Mexican style sombrero, as far as I know it was not illustrated inside, while Fairbanks had a more Spanish cordobés style hat, which is what stuck.
You are right about this point: Wikipedia tells me that "sombrero" is actually just a Spanish word for hat, despite the fact that we now only think of a specific hat when hearing the word:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sombrero

I also see that the hat we associate with Zorro is called "sombrero cordobés", so it fits the definition of a "sombrero":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sombrero_cordobés

It's possible that McCulley was thinking about this hat after all. Or maybe he was thinking of a different hat because several different hats have "sombrero" in their name. At any rate, I don't think McCulley was thinking about the "wide-brimmed hat from Mexico", since it would have been weird from someone living in Spanish California.

As far as illustrations inside, the mask alternated sometimes following Fairbanks half face in Argosy, and then back to the full mask in West magazine.
But if we ignore what the illustrators did and only follow what McCulley wrote, did his stories ever mention the half mask? I just found that the text of the fifth Zorro story, "Zorro Hunts a Jackal" (1933), can be read online here:

http://www.retrogalaxy.com/culture/zorro-hunts-a-jackal/page-04.asp

Well, at one point the text says that "His black mask covered his entire face".

The secret passage while first depicted in Fairbanks, definitely showed up in story, and part of it even ran underground and opened into the Mission/Church in town.
Do you remember which story, or stories, have the secret passage? How is the entrance to the passage described? And does it lead to a barn, like I think it was in the Fairbanks movie, or to a cave like in later versions? I think the first film version in which the secret passage leads to a cave is the serial "Zorro Rides Again" (1937).

Damn El Zorro.....you've given me a week's worth of reading in your posts. :)
I'll take it as a compliment. :yay:

Great research and post El Zorro.
A lot to take in there. Thanks!
It was a pleasure to publicly share the result of my research.

Making some gifs of some of the scenes you reference.

231uvg.gif
We can appreciate the clever camera angle that makes it seem like the 45-degree rock is just in the middle of the cave, while in fact it marks the entrance and everything before it is outside the cave. The shot before the camera cut is also well done, just like the choice of starting Tornado's theme before the cut rather than after it. Too bad there is a blooper about Diego's ribbon on the top part of his clothes which changes at every set switch, but I am pretty sure that virtually nobody noticed it.

231vea.gif

Actually looks like the background where they emerge is a green-screen or the 1950s equivalent.
If by "background" you mean the Sphinx/Harum Scarum Cluster/Old Yeller area, I thought about the same possibility, since we don't see Diego or Bernardo's feet in that sequence. However, what would be the point of using a green-screen? The Zorro production team was clearly at the site, as shown by this gif you posted in which Zorro rides through the area:

Since the to sequences shows the same angle, I think the two scenes were filmed back to back at the site, one with Guy Williams as Diego and Gene Sheldon as Bernardo, and the other with stuntman Buddy Van Horn as Zorro, so Williams didn't even had to bother changing his clothes. Both scenes were probably filmed during daylight, and the second one was darkened in post-production.

A green-screen would make sense if they wanted to avoid the need to actually get Guy and Gene at Iverson, but we know it's not the case since in both episode 2 and episode 3 we see many scenes filmed at Iveron in which Guy and Gene appear, not just the cave scenes, so they actually went there. A green-screen would be useful to create some speacial effects or facilitate some stunts, but this is not the case.

I guess the shooting schedule has all the answers, but it was never released publicy, though it seems the author of "The Zorro Television Companion: A Critical Appreciation" has seen it. I don't have the book, I just read the few lines of the ebook that are available online.

2326vi.gif

Wow that is dark, will look for the not-darkened "daytime" shot.
Not sure from which episode that non-darkened screenshot came from, since I copied it from a website rather than capturing it personally. Anyway, a good non-darkened "daytime" shot is in episode 2x18, and I see that the French video has better quality compared to the English video, since it is at 480p:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtikEeBDnEo

Minute 13:02.

I'll close with two questions:

*In addition to being set during the Spanish-era California (1769–1821) and not before the foundation of the Los Angeles pueblo in 1781, do McCuelly's stories often have years? I only know that "Zorro Rides Again" takes place "...in "17—," and "The Sign of Zorro" "...about 1800..."

*Which is the first story in which Zorro acts as a vigilante rather than just as a "freedom fighter" against tyrannical officials?

Awesome more Zorro!

It'll be a bit before I can get to all that^.

I'd like to do so, but most stories are really hard to find. So, for the time being I'll use your answers to increase my knowledge of McCulley's Zorro stories.

By the way, how many Zorro's stories by McCulley have you read?

Been some time, but so far I've read:

-The Curse of Capistrano collected in novel form as The Mark of Zorro
-The Further Adventures of Zorro
-Zorro Rides Again
All originally serialized and later collected in Novel form.
Plus from Zorro: The Masters Edition Volume 1
-Zorro Saves a Friend
-Zorro Hunts A Jackal
-Zorro Deals With Treason
-Mysterious Don Miguel (part 1 & 2)
-Zorro Draws His Blade
-Zorro Upsets a Plot
And a few more from Masters Edition Volume 2

Nowhere near conclusive, so keep in mind I'm only answering from what I've read.

I'll have to read "The Curse of Capistrano" again, but Zorro seemed pretty sure of Ramon's death: it would be really hard for him to mistake scratching someone on the surface of the chest, which one can survive, with running it through the heart, which one can't survive. In "The Further Adventures of Zorro", is Zorro surprised that Ramon is still alive?

Like I said; Zorro believed he ran Captain Ramón through the heart, ....yet he survived. you do have to role with it. Although it seems you are more determined to be unsatisfied with it :oldrazz:, even though you haven't read it.
He didn't "mistake scratching someone on the surface", that's completely your invention. He and the reader are to assume Ramón will die. There is no doubt about it in Curse/Mark.
Reading Further adventures, and discovering he lived, I quickly opened Curse/Mask again, to see if it allowed for it? And it does, Zorro never actually sees him die.
He leaves Captain Ramón still alive and twitching.
Is it hard to believe he could survive? Certainly.
Yet he does, that's the character reveal and a surprise pay-off of Further Adventures! Maybe not for you as you were told it second hand as a spoiler, but for me reading it as a surprise, as he walks out of the shadow and pulls off his hood to reveal the horrible mark on his face, you realize who it is, and his continued obsession with ruining Diego as it plays out, all works great!
Further you realize the Governor benefits from allowing Zorro and everyone to have believed Ramón had been killed, it actually ads to his evil machinations, that he would keep his survival a secret.
So, the new comandante from "Zorro Rides Again" knows from second hand sources about Zorro's unmasking, and he is still not convinced that Diego is Zorro?
I said he has to prove it, that is not so easy.
Many who know Diego's secret, have reason to protect him. Others never believed to begin with, Further it's not so easy to convict a Don. someone of stature without proof.
Later officers who come and go, are out to prove Diego is Zorro based on past suspicions too. Many stories describe how the enemies try to trap Diego/Zorro, some try to prove he is Diego, and how Don Diego/Zorro brilliantly outwits them. This become a recurring plot.
So, in subsequent stories he has to create more fake alibis every time someone suspects the new Zorro is not a copycat but Diego himself? Not sure how I would feel about this strange way to portray a secret identity, but I guess it's the only thing McCulley could do to maintain what happened in the first story.
Not really, not sure how you came to that, or what you are suggesting?
The "Copycat" Zorro was caught and unmasked.
The real Zorro rides again!

he has to create more fake alibis every time...
Every time? No, not always, but that is a common means of deception, if he can convince them obviously he can't be at two places at once. It is a trick he uses, and it works!
The story you site bellow Zorro Hunts a Jackal is a great example where he uses Gonzalez as an unwitting alibi, who then believes (and will likely swear) he was with Diego the whole time :funny:. It's pretty hysterical!
Also not all stories are just about a Comandante trying to prove Diego is Zorro.
You seem to be making allot of assumptions, are you determined to put a more negative and incredulous spin on everything?
Not sure why? These stories are supposed to be fun! I mean sometimes they are convinced by a fake wart!
Not trying convince you to like something you seem determined to be unsatisfied with.
Just sharing what I read of the stories.:cwink:

Of course, Ortega is also the name of a captain from Disney's Zorro (episodes 1x20, 1x21 and 1x22), who is actually Eagle agent Sancho Fernandez that is impersonating the real Ortega after killing him. One may think it is a coincidence, given that Disney's Ortega is named Juan rather than Carlos, that Ortega is a common Spanish surname, and that McCulley's Ortega wasn't an impersonator now was he part of any Eagle conspiracy. However, I don't think it's a coincidence, but it must be a homage, since the plot of this McCulley short story featuring Ortega...
Elements were likely drawn from several McCulley stories, as I indicated McCully was brought on as writing consultant. I don't think the long running Eagle story-line was a direct recreation of any one McCulley story though, but like I said I haven't read them all.
UctEgZ1.jpg
(Another fun publicity image, exploring the character)

I wonder how Bernardo can play any significant role, given that in the first story we learn that...[he has] not sense enough to make [his] wants known by the sign language".
That's a pretty harsh description. Bernardo was never really the most significant character as you suggest, or the main focus of any story, it's Disney who played him up and made him more central.
As far as Zorro's more well developed allies, in Curse it's actually the Don's who become his biggest allies. This was further played up in Zorro's fighting Legion.
And later better developed and a more interesting ally characters than Bernardo, were like I said actually Jose of the Cocopah a large Native American chief and ally, whose tribe Diego has a strong bond with, and is counted a blood brother. And reformed one-eyed, cutlass wielding pirate named Bardoso, who often acted as spy among outlaws, cutthroats and scalawags.
And sometimes Fray Felipe.
These, are actually in some stories I've read more fun and better developed characters as allies, than Bernardo ever was.
Sadly later media, have chosen to ignore them, and most haven't even heard of them, particularly Jose and Bardoso, who together with Zorro actually make a great trio!

DU_ImE9XcAApH8C.jpg

Here is an illustration by me^ As far as I know they've never been illustrated (until now ;))

Did McCulley revise in any way the character in later stories? If I remember correctly, a Bernardo who could hear was already present in the Fairbanks movies way before the Disney series, though I don't remember if that Bernardo was also pretending to be deaf or not. I also remember Bernardo being big in "Curse" rather than being "the little one", I think he was a native in McCulley and the Fairbanks moview rather than a Spaniard like in the Disney series.
He was definitely Native American in McCulley. Although he was not nearly as involved as in the Disney version, who really reimagined the character for themselves, as more actively involved, and casting him as European.
Gene Sheldon definitely brought great spirit and whimsy to the character and had great fun with the expressive pantomime which was not in McCulley as you suggest. There is no reason a Native American actor couldn't have done the same. Although it's probably for the best Disney re-imagined Bernado as European, as it would likely have read as insensitive, to outright offensive to some.
I do love Gene Sheldon's fun take.
But in McCulley Jose was the more active ally. Eg. scenes where he'd need someone else disguised as Zorro to throw-off pursuers, it would be Jose, he'd also actively engage the villains, and was a hero in his own right.

Interesting. Do you know in which stories they made their debut and how often do they appear? I am particularly interested in Garcia given his importance in the Disney series.
I'll have to look it up, there was a Don Esteban Garcia who first showed up in Rides again, although he was more analogous to the Ramon/Monastario types, another Garcia showed up several stories later, may have been visiting from another Presidio, or it was actually Diego traveling abroad. These (along with elements of Gonzalez) may have been amalgamated into one for the Disney series.
Fray Felipe was introduced in Curse/Mask.
The pirate Barbados was introduced in Further Adventures, in the end he allies himself with Zorro, in Rides again we meet the Pirate Bardoso, a reformed pirate, now with an eye-patch. Are they the same? I would assume they are, eventually the name Bardoso is what stuck.
Jose of the Cocopah was first introduced in Rides again.

By standalone stories, I mean stories that can be read in any order, as in an event of a story is not influenced by the story that came before it and doesn't influence the story that comes after it. Were most of McCulley's Zorro stories standalone tales, or did most of them started where the previous story ended, like "Further Adventures" did with "Curse"?
Curse/Mark, Further Adventures & Rides again, were all published as individual chapters serials monthly, later collected as Novels.
They were definitely to be read as sequels and made reference to what came before. Later stories tended to be more stand alone, done in one (that's why I don't think the long running Eagle story line was a direct remake from any one of those, but some elements may have been.), the stand alone shorts could be read alone, (Again the Jackal story you site is a good example) yet still often made references to previous stories and characters.

Last edited:
wU9OTas.jpg
He looks like a midget among Zorro and Garcia! Of course, it is because Guy Williams was 6'3" and Henry Calvin was 6'2", so maybe McCulley was just of average height or slightly below average.
Again that's pretty harsh, McCulley is 75 there, and yeah those two are pretty tall.
He would soon die after that photo was taken, but got to contribute, and see his creation revived one more time by Disney.
Which I imagine must have been an incredible thrill for him.
Maybe it wasn't as elaborate as superhero costumes would later be, but I think that when people saw Zorro, they instantly knew it was him rather than a random masked bandit, despite the fact that most bandits also cover their faces to avoid being recognized. Or is my memory wrong about him being recognized as being Zorro?
Yeah he was obviously meant to be recognized as Zorro, and not a random bandit.
I guess it is considered a costume, McCulley referenced it that way too,
Is what the Lone Ranger wears a costume? Or is he just adding a mask to his ridding gear. Is the Shadow? Could be? I can concede that.:yay:
"Bernardo had tethered the black horse Zorro rode. ..he pulled a roll of clothing, Zorro's attire. Another bundle contained Zorro's blade, his pistol, powder horn and pouch of bullets. In the darkness, Don Diego Vega changed his attire and became Zorro, dressed in all black, with a black mask over his face."
This was a pretty standard description.
Although it's not like he dressed like in a giant Fox-themed costume with fox ears and wore the "Z" as a logo on his chest (see Batman for that). Or he sat down and designing a Fox-theme like Spider-Man.
It was basically just riding attire, gear and a cloak of that time, just in black. I guess all together that makes a costume?
Well, in "The Curse of Capistrano" Zorro has to raise the bottom of his mask to kiss, eat and drink, so he clearly wasn't wearing the half-face mask introduced by Fairbanks and adopted in most later versions. If McCulley ever had Zorro wearing a half mask (and I said "if" because I don't know if he ever did it) then I guess it is correct to say that he "adopted" Fairbanks' version of the mask.
Didn't say McCulley adopted or described Fairbanks version of the mask.
I said the illustrators did.
As far as illustrations inside, the mask alternated sometimes following Fairbanks half face in Argosy,
5xxE7ir.jpg
The above ^ scan I posted is actually from Zorro Hunts a Jackal, where McCulley describes the mask covering his whole face. Yet as I indicted the illustrator used the more Fairbanks style mask.

Do you remember which story, or stories, have the secret passage? How is the entrance to the passage described? And does it lead to a barn, like I think it was in the Fairbanks movie, or to a cave like in later versions?
In Zorro saves a Friend, Mculley describes a passage flight of stairs in the Hacienda, ... passing through a panel in the wall, that then descends another flight of steps, and finally come out in a small room beneath the ground, where he changes to Zorro and brandishes his sword, etc. He then goes through another door and passage, which leads out near the well, where he emerges above ground.
The passage-stairs that lead to a "secret room " is referenced in Rides Again, I'll have to see if there is further description.
Further there is a secret door and tunnels going under the main Chapel, which Fray Felipe knows about, and they lead through a passage that opens at the Inn. So he can really sneak around.
There is another secret door and tunnel at the adobe house of an old Indian woman sorcerers, she is another ally, which leads to a cave where they meet, plan and hide out.
Implication like he has a network of lairs and tunnels throughout the land, so he can appear and disappear at will, kind of like a Fox! ;)
These were the first descriptions, I'll have to look to see what later stories describe.
I think the first film version in which the secret passage leads to a cave is the serial "Zorro Rides Again" (1937).
Definitely, one of my favorite of the Republic serials. Secret passage through the portrait in the main hall, leads down to a cave bellow, well before Batman, also where he keeps his secret ride, a stable for his horse, and a hidden exit out through the ivy.

uzdyd.gif

It's also a modern Legacy Zorro great ancestor of the Vega family wealthy city tycoon type , set in the time of the then modern pulps, so he is also fighting mobsters and racketeers, using modern revolvers, and swinging from buildings through the city, with loyal Reinaldo (ancestor of Bernardo) waiting in a modern sedan bellow.
Again all before Batman!

giphy.gif
1937)
7IreSRg.jpg
1939)
People often site Fairbanks, (as Broome and Kane reference him), but seeing a movie with a Zorro set in modern times, which had come out just the year before, may have also been an influence.

Another great visual lair, was 1944 Zorro's Black whip, whose cave exited around a waterfall.

248b4t.gif

Last edited:
If by "background" you mean the Sphinx/Harum Scarum Cluster/Old Yeller area, I thought about the same possibility, since we don't see Diego or Bernardo's feet in that sequence. However, what would be the point of using a green-screen? The Zorro production team was clearly at the site, as shown by this gif you posted in which Zorro rides through the area:

Since the to sequences shows the same angle, I think the two scenes were filmed back to back at the site, one with Guy Williams as Diego and Gene Sheldon as Bernardo, and the other with stuntman Buddy Van Horn as Zorro, so Williams didn't even had to bother changing his clothes. Both scenes were probably filmed during daylight, and the second one was darkened in post-production.

A green-screen would make sense if they wanted to avoid the need to actually get Guy and Gene at Iverson, but we know it's not the case since in both episode 2 and episode 3 we see many scenes filmed at Iveron in which Guy and Gene appear, not just the cave scenes, so they actually went there. A green-screen would be useful to create some speacial effects or facilitate some stunts, but this is not the case.

I guess the shooting schedule has all the answers, but it was never released publicy, though it seems the author of "The Zorro Television Companion: A Critical Appreciation" has seen it. I don't have the book, I just read the few lines of the ebook that are available online.

23lcpd.gif

23lcml.gif

Yeah background does look like it could be faked, like they are not really there, projected, or 50s green screen equivalent, however that worked.
As to why, likely a re-shoot, maybe a new line of dialogue they wanted to add, and for some reason scheduling, time, money, they weren't available to go back.
Or often if it's for sound dialogue, they might want the actors on a stage, rather than outdoors.?

Not sure from which episode that non-darkened screenshot came from, since I copied it from a website rather than capturing it personally. Anyway, a good non-darkened "daytime" shot is in episode 2x18, and I see that the French video has better quality compared to the English video, since it is at 480p:

Minute 13:02.

LOL I get "This video contains content from BBTV_SonyPictures, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
But I'm glad you can watch it in France.
(Do you guys ever still get the Zorro stunt show at EuroDisney?)
I loved the commercial for it!

I did find the episode you mention (great episode with Cesar Romero), here is a gif of the daytime cave tornado's turn and exit.

23l5u5.gif

We can appreciate the clever camera angle that makes it seem like the 45-degree rock is just in the middle of the cave, while in fact it marks the entrance and everything before it is outside the cave. The shot before the camera cut is also well done, just like the choice of starting Tornado's theme before the cut rather than after it.
I agree, seeing the actual space in the photos, they really created a great illusion of a more substantial cave.

They weren't beyond using some visual trickery for the show.
1yoau4.gif

Love Zorro and Tornado!

I'll close with two questions:

*In addition to being set during the Spanish-era California (1769–1821) and not before the foundation of the Los Angeles pueblo in 1781, do McCuelly's stories often have years? I only know that "Zorro Rides Again" takes place "...in "17—," and "The Sign of Zorro" "...about 1800..."
Do McCuelly's stories often have years?, I would say no.
I don't remember Curse/Mark having a date.
Closest I can see is:
-"Here in the little pueblo of Reina de Los Angeles, where in years to come a great city would grow,..."

(1922) Further Adventures begins:
-"More than 100 years ago..." So at least 1820ish

Zorro Rides again:
-"Once more night descended on the friendly little pueblo of Reina de Los Angeles, in the land of California, in the year 17—,..." He actually leaves it blank.:woot:

Fairbanks (1920)Mark of Zorro begins:
"In California nearly 100 years ago.." So 1820ish

And Disney as you likely know follows the same and begins 1820.

As to further McCulley stories that I've read, I'll have to check.

*Which is the first story in which Zorro acts as a vigilante rather than just as a "freedom fighter" against tyrannical officials?
Not sure what you are distinguishing here, as in history, heroic fiction and particularly with Zorro who goes outside the law, the lines may certainly blur? It depends who in the story you ask.
To the Indians, campesinos, downtrodden, the Frays, even most of the Dons and Caballeros, see him as a Freedom-Fighter, cheer him on, and help him and the cause.
While the "Officials" and Military tend to see him as a Vigilante, going outside the law.
So he's both! It seems a mater of perspective.
You ask if there is some story where he switched from being portrayed one way, then another?
Which is the first story in which Zorro acts as a vigilante rather than just as a "freedom fighter"
If not the above, can you give examples of what you mean by each in this context? ?:cwink:

LOL That was allot!

---

For anyone interested, here is a fun little history of Zorro vid(not mine) with an emphasis on Disney!. ...with Zorro Days at Disney, and the Stunt Shows. Fun!
[YT]djm0xEV98yk[/YT]

For a more real life history of what may have inspired the character, look up Behind the Mask of Zorro.

Last edited:
been some time, but so far i've read:

-the curse of capistrano collected in novel form as the mark of zorro
-the further adventures of zorro
-zorro rides again
all originally serialized and later collected in novel form.
Plus from zorro: The masters edition volume 1
-zorro saves a friend
-zorro hunts a jackal
-zorro deals with treason
-mysterious don miguel (part 1 & 2)
-zorro draws his blade
-zorro upsets a plot
and a few more from masters edition volume 2

nowhere near conclusive, so keep in mind i'm only answering from what i've read.
Not conclusive as you said, but it's still much more than I have read.
By the way, do you consider "Mysteryous Don Miguel" a novel or a short story?

like i said; zorro believed he ran captain ramón through the heart, ....yet he survived. You do have to role with it. Although it seems you are more determined to be unsatisfied with it :oldrazz:, even though you haven't read it.
He didn't "mistake scratching someone on the surface", that's completely your invention. He and the reader are to assume ramón will die. There is no doubt about it in curse/mark.
Reading further adventures, and discovering he lived, i quickly opened curse/mask again, to see if it allowed for it? And it does, zorro never actually sees him die.
He leaves captain ramón still alive and twitching.
Is it hard to believe he could survive? Certainly.
Yet he does, that's the character reveal and a surprise pay-off of further adventures! Maybe not for you as you were told it second hand as a spoiler, but for me reading it as a surprise, as he walks out of the shadow and pulls off his hood to reveal the horrible mark on his face, you realize who it is, and his continued obsession with ruining diego as it plays out, all works great!
The point I was trying to make, is that it's impossible to survive having your heart run through, so the only possibility is that Zorro was mistaken when he thought that he HAD ran Ramon through the heart. What I was wondering is how could Zorro make that wrong assumption if no blood came out of Ramon's body. But maybe it will be clear once I get a chance to read "The Further Adventures of Zorro". I wonder why that novel can't be found online, since it's in the public domain.

i said he has to prove it, that is not so easy.
Many who know diego's secret, have reason to protect him. Others never believed to begin with, further it's not so easy to convict a don. Someone of stature without proof.
Later officers who come and go, are out to prove diego is zorro based on past suspicions too. Many stories describe how the enemies try to trap diego/zorro, some try to prove he is diego, and how don diego/zorro brilliantly outwits them. This become a recurring plot.
It makes sense, though I don't understand what you mean by "Others never believed to begin with".

not really, not sure how you came to that, or what you are suggesting?
The "copycat" zorro was caught and unmasked.
The real zorro rides again!
I was suggesting that Diego had to convince people that he was not Zorro which is the same thing that you wrote.
Also, can you tell me if the duel between the real Zorro and the copycat Zorro happened in front of many people?

every time? No, not always, but that is a common means of deception, if he can convince them obviously he can't be at two places at once. It is a trick he uses, and it works!
The story you site bellow zorro hunts a jackal is a great example where he uses gonzalez as an unwitting alibi, who then believes (and will likely swear) he was with diego the whole time :funny:. It's pretty hysterical!
Also not all stories are just about a comandante trying to prove diego is zorro.
You seem to be making allot of assumptions, are you determined to put a more negative and incredulous spin on everything?
Not sure why? These stories are supposed to be fun! I mean sometimes they are convinced by a fake wart!
Not trying convince you to like something you seem determined to be unsatisfied with.
Just sharing what i read of the stories.:cwink:
My assumptions were only a way to ask you some questions. Please relax a bit :cwink:, I am not determined to be unsatisfied with these stories. Quite the opposite, I have enjoyed "The Curse of Capistrano", and I feel I would also enjoy the rest of McCulley's stories.

elements were likely drawn from several mcculley stories, as i indicated mccully was brought on as writing consultant. I don't think the long running eagle story-line was a direct recreation of any one mcculley story though, but like i said i haven't read them all.
Do you have some details about McCulley's role as a consultant for the Disney series?
Anyway, I also don't think the Eagle storyline comes from McCulley's stories, and I think I remember reading it was an idea by Walt Disney.
At any rate, the name of Disney's Ortega is an obvious homage to McCulley's Ortega, since one of the three episodes with Ortega is partially adapted from McCulley's "Zorro Opens A Cage" story featuring Ortega, like I have shown in my previous message. And the ironic thing is that a novelization book of the Disney series includes the last two of the three episodes with Ortega, thus basically starting like "Zorro Opens A Cage", in a case of recursive adaptation: from paper to tv screen then to the paper again.
I don't know how many other examples are there. I know "Zorro Saves A Friend" is the title of both a McCulley story and a Disney episode, but the plots are very different. However, the plot of McCulley's story reminds me of the episode "Death Stacks the Deck". I also know "Zorro Fights A Duel" is the title of both a McCulley story and a Disney episode, and although the plots have many differences, they both involve someone publicly challenging Zorro to a duel by calling him a coward. Of course, McCulley's Esteban Sanchez is a one-shot character who is a killer, while Disney recreated this episode as the third of Don Ricardo del Amo's 4-episode arc, and Ricardo is not a bad guy even though he challenges Zorro.

Keep in mind that I haven't read these short stories yet, and I am only basing myself on plot summaries from this website:
http://www.zorrolegend.com/origin/mcculleystories.html

that's a pretty harsh description. Bernardo was never really the most significant character as you suggest, or the main focus of any story, it's disney who played him up and made him more central.
As far as zorro's more well developed allies, in curse it's actually the don's who become his biggest allies. This was further played up in zorro's fighting legion.
And later better developed and a more interesting ally characters than bernardo, were like i said actually jose of the cocopah a large native american chief and ally, whose tribe diego has a strong bond with, and is counted a blood brother. And reformed one-eyed, cutlass wielding pirate named bardoso, who often acted as spy among outlaws, cutthroats and scalawags.
And sometimes fray felipe.
These, are actually in some stories i've read more fun and better developed characters as allies, than bernardo ever was.
Sadly later media, have chosen to ignore them, and most haven't even heard of them, particularly jose and bardoso, who together with zorro actually make a great trio!
What is a harsh description? It wasn't me who suggested that McCulley's Bernardo cannot speak or hear or write or read, and has not sense enough to make his wants known by the sign language: I was merely quoting what Diego says in "The Curse of Capistrano", chapter 21.

Also, I didn't suggest Bernardo was the most significant character in McCulley's stories. However, in one story I found the line "I have instructed Bernardo to have everything ready." and I wonder how Bernardo was instructed. And according to this summary of "Zorro Saves a Herd"...

http://www.zorrolegend.com/origin/zorrosavesaherd.html

... "Don Diego retires to his guest chamber and tells Bernardo of his plans". That's why I asked you if McCulley adopted the mute-but-not-deaf Berardo from the Fairbanks movie, but I think your answer is that he didn't.

And you are right that most people are not aware of José and Bardoso, as I was one of the people who didn't learn about them until recently.

he was definitely native american in mcculley. Although he was not nearly as involved as in the disney version, who really reimagined the character for themselves, as more actively involved, and casting him as european.
Gene sheldon definitely brought great spirit and whimsy to the character and had great fun with the expressive pantomime which was not in mcculley as you suggest. There is no reason a native american actor couldn't have done the same. Although it's probably for the best disney re-imagined bernado as european, as it would likely have read as insensitive, to outright offensive to some.
I do love gene sheldon's fun take.
But in mcculley jose was the more active ally. Eg. Scenes where he'd need someone else disguised as zorro to throw-off pursuers, it would be jose, he'd also actively engage the villains, and was a hero in his own right.
I also love Gene Sheldon's performance as Bernardo! But I don't think the character being re-imagined as European had anything to do with avoiding being perceived as insensitive. I think that change just made it easier for Bernardo to fool everybody into believing that he cannot hear. On the other hand, the 2016 animated series has a Bernardo who grew up in Caifornia and went to Spain with Diego: when they return, they come up with the story that he became deaf after being too close to a cannon.

i'll have to look it up, there was a don esteban garcia who first showed up in rides again, although he was more analogous to the ramon/monastario types, another garcia showed up several stories later, may have been visiting from another presidio, or it was actually diego traveling abroad. These (along with elements of gonzalez) may have been amalgamated into one for the disney series.
Fray felipe was introduced in curse/mask.
The pirate barbados was introduced in further adventures, in the end he allies himself with zorro, in rides again we meet the pirate bardoso, a reformed pirate, now with an eye-patch. Are they the same? I would assume they are, eventually the name bardoso is what stuck.
Jose of the cocopah was first introduced in rides again.
Thanks for the explanations about Barbados/Bardoso ("Zorro Rides Again" was published 9 years after "The Further Adventures of Zorro", so McCulley could have forgotten the name) and José.
As for Disney's Garcia, from what I have read I agree with you that he may be a fusion between Gonzales and McCulley's Garcia. I don't know when Garcia made his debut, but I know he appears in at least four stories: "Zorro Draws A Blade" (1944), "Zorro Opens A Cage" (1945), "Zorro Lays A Ghost" (1945), "Zorro Frees Some Slaves" (1946).

curse/mark, further adventures & rides again, were all published as individual chapters serials monthly, later collected as novels.
They were definitely to be read as sequels and made reference to what came before. Later stories tended to be more stand alone, done in one (that's why i don't think the long running eagle story line was a direct remake from any one of those, but some elements may have been.), the stand alone shorts could be read alone, (again the jackal story you site is a good example) yet still often made references to previous stories and characters.
So they did became standalone like I thought, even with the occasional reference to past stories. Thanks for confirming that.

Again that's pretty harsh, McCulley is 75 there, and yeah those two are pretty tall.
He would soon die after that photo was taken, but got to contribute, and see his creation revived one more time by Disney.
Which I imagine must have been an incredible thrill for him.
Harsh? I wasn't mocking McCulley for his height, I was just joking on the fact that anyone would look like a midget if surrounded by two guys that are very tall. I don't know how tall was McCulley, but I think he was only slightly shorter than average. By the way, the Disney series has many tall characters: off top of my head I can think of Diego/Zorro, Garcia, Monastario, Benito, Ricardo and the lancer who dresses as Zorro in episode 1x13, played by Guy Williams' stuntman Buddy Van Horn.

It's true that McCulley died when Zorro was at the height of his popularity, which one one hand can be seen in a positive light, i.e. he lived long enough to see the series give new life to his character, but on the other hand can also be seen in a more negative light, i.e. he didn't live long enough to see the full series, as he died inbetween the broadcast of episodes 2x07 and 2x08.

Yeah he was obviously meant to be recognized as Zorro, and not a random bandit.
I guess it is considered a costume, McCulley referenced it that way too,
Is what the Lone Ranger wears a costume? Or is he just adding a mask to his ridding gear. Is the Shadow? Could be? I can concede that.:yay:

Although it's not like he dressed like in a giant Fox-themed costume with fox ears and wore the "Z" as a logo on his chest (see Batman for that). Or he sat down and designing a Fox-theme like Spider-Man.
It was basically just riding attire, gear and a cloak of that time, just in black. I guess all together that makes a costume?
I guess it depends on our definition of "costume". Here is one definition:

"Costume is the distinctive style of dress of an individual or group that reflects their class, gender, profession, ethnicity, nationality, activity or epoch. The term also was traditionally used to describe typical appropriate clothing for certain activities, such as riding costume, swimming costume, dance costume, and evening costume. Appropriate and acceptable costume is subject to changes in fashion and local cultural norms."

As long as people recognized him as Zorro and not a random bandit, and as long as people associated his clothes with his "activity", then I'd say we can call it a costume even though he didn't have fox ears or a Z on his chest. Incidentally, I dislike when Zorro carnival costumes have a Z on the clothes as much as I dislike when they are not all-black.

In Zorro saves a Friend, Mculley describes a passage flight of stairs in the Hacienda, ... passing through a panel in the wall, that then descends another flight of steps, and finally come out in a small room beneath the ground, where he changes to Zorro and brandishes his sword, etc. He then goes through another door and passage, which leads out near the well, where he emerges above ground.
The passage-stairs that lead to a "secret room " is referenced in Rides Again, I'll have to see if there is further description.
Further there is a secret door and tunnels going under the main Chapel, which Fray Felipe knows about, and they lead through a passage that opens at the Inn. So he can really sneak around.
There is another secret door and tunnel at the adobe house of an old Indian woman sorcerers, she is another ally, which leads to a cave where they meet, plan and hide out.
Implication like he has a network of lairs and tunnels throughout the land, so he can appear and disappear at will, kind of like a Fox! ;)
These were the first descriptions, I'll have to look to see what later stories describe.
Really useful info, thanks! Do the stories also explain where he hides his black horse? Is the horse's hiding place in one of the underground secret passages like in the movies and tv series?

Definitely, one of my favorite of the Republic serials. Secret passage through the portrait in the main hall, leads down to a cave bellow, well before Batman, also where he keeps his secret ride, a stable for his horse, and a hidden exit out through the ivy.
Trivia: in that 1937 serial, the picture of Don Diego is that of Douglas Fairbanks. It would be interesting to have a list of all the innovations to the Zorro mythos brought by Fairbanks.

Speaking of lists: since you mentioned Batman, can you explain how the Zorro movie seen by young Bruce changes from one version to the other in various retellings? And do you know all the Zorro references present in the various Batman comics?

It's also a modern Legacy Zorro great ancestor of the Vega family wealthy city tycoon type , set in the time of the then modern pulps, so he is also fighting mobsters and racketeers, using modern revolvers, and swinging from buildings through the city, with loyal Reinaldo (ancestor of Bernardo) waiting in a modern sedan bellow.
Again all before Batman!
Ancestor? Did you mean "descendent", or did you mean "ancestor" in a literary sense, as in he predates Disney's take on Bernardo?

23lcpd.gif

23lcml.gif

Yeah background does look like it could be faked, like they are not really there, projected, or 50s green screen equivalent, however that worked.
As to why, likely a re-shoot, maybe a new line of dialogue they wanted to add, and for some reason scheduling, time, money, they weren't available to go back.
Or often if it's for sound dialogue, they might want the actors on a stage, rather than outdoors.?
If a new line of dialogue needed to be added the most logical thing was to dub new dialogue over the recorded footage rather than shooting the scene again, and people involved in the show confirmed that they were already used to often re-dub the dialogue because of background noises. The Zorro street backlot was on a busy traffic corner after all.
I'm not saying that it's 100% not a green screen, just that I don't see the point of using it.

LOL I get "This video contains content from BBTV_SonyPictures, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
But I'm glad you can watch it in France.
(Do you guys ever still get the Zorro stunt show at EuroDisney?)
I loved the commercial for it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3mR52qUJdA
Actually, I'm from Italy, but I linked the French version because it had better video quality compared to the American version. You can try this other French video, also with 480p quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtikEeBDnEo

Still minute 13:02. Hopefully this one is not blocked in the States. Not that it makes a great difference between 480p and 360p, but still that's the best version I could find. Also, I found a good quality black and white version of episode 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYdDqi1EsFQ

No point in writing the minutes of the scenes with Diego and Bernardo in the cave, but the two scenes with Zorro exiting and entering the cave start at 16:09 and 22:52 respectively. As you know, the cave scenes were darkened in post-production, but you can see things better than the colorized version of episode 2. Nothing new about the 16:09 scene, but until yesterday I never noticed the deatails of the 22:52 scene like Zorro turning his head behind for a moment.

I did find the episode you mention (great episode with Cesar Romero), here is a gif of the daytime cave tornado's turn and exit.

23l5u5.gif

I agree, seeing the actual space in the photos, they really created a great illusion of a more substantial cave.
It seems bigger, it's true, though the main point about that camera angle is that the West entrance doesn't look like an entrance at all, which was necessary to keep the continuity. Had they shown it as an entrance, the illusion of the cave being found at the end of the secret underground tunnel would have been broken.

By the way, the Disney series is one of the few cases in which we see both the West entrance and the East entrance of Zorro's Cave rather than just one of the two.

They weren't beyond using some visual trickery for the show.
1yoau4.gif

Love Zorro and Tornado!
Tornado, the best horse ever! That matte painting was a great visual effect; other matte paintings created more substantial spaces, or made some places seem more dangerous, or made us believe that the de la Vega hacienda was an outside location while in fact it was built inside a soundstage:

G0DxfAE.jpg

12650857_1661040537469537_193999127600453662_n.jpg

1-14.jpg

Even this gif you made from episode 2x20...

ev2PL7H.gif

... is a special effect: that is the usual stock footage from the ending of episode 1, edited to add the rain and the lightning strikes.

Do McCuelly's stories often have years?, I would say no.
I don't remember Curse/Mark having a date.
Closest I can see is:
-"Here in the little pueblo of Reina de Los Angeles, where in years to come a great city would grow,..."

(1922) Further Adventures begins:
-"More than 100 years ago..." So at least 1820ish

Zorro Rides again:
-"Once more night descended on the friendly little pueblo of Reina de Los Angeles, in the land of California, in the year 17—,..." He actually leaves it blank.:woot:

Fairbanks (1920)Mark of Zorro begins:
"In California nearly 100 years ago.." So 1820ish

And Disney as you likely know follows the same and begins 1820.

As to further McCulley stories that I've read, I'll have to check.
A difference between McCulley and Fairbanks is that in the 1920 movie California is referred to as a "Mexican province" rather than a Spanish possession.
The 1820 date of the Disney series is also a bit problematic, since we must assume that all 78 episodes and 4 specials happen before Mexico took control of California in 1821.

Not sure what you are distinguishing here, as in history, heroic fiction and particularly with Zorro who goes outside the law, the lines may certainly blur? It depends who in the story you ask.
To the Indians, campesinos, downtrodden, the Frays, even most of the Dons see him as a Freedom-Fighter, cheer him on, and help him and the cause.
While the "Officials" and Military tend to see him as a Vigilante, going outside the law.
So he's both! It seems a mater of perspective.
You ask if there is some story where he switched from being portrayed one way, then another?

If not the above, can you give examples of what you mean by each in this context? ?:cwink:
By "vigilante" I mean someone who fights against bandits to ensure their capture because he thinks the authorities cannot catch them without his help.
By "freedom fighter" I mean someone who fight against the authorities because he believes they are oppressing the people.
Zorro is both a vigilante and a freedom fighter, but in "The Curse of Capistrano" he is only a freedom fighter (and a highwayman who steals from the rich to give to the poor, Robin Hood-style, something rarely kept in adaptations) and not a vigilante. That's why I was wondering which was the first McCulley story with Zorro as a vigilante.

For anyone interested, here is a fun little history of Zorro vid(not mine) with an emphasis on Disney!. ...with Zorro Days at Disney, and the Stunt Shows. Fun!
[YT]djm0xEV98yk[/YT]
Great video! Even though the 1919 novel is mistakenly called "The Curse of THE Capistrano".

For a more real life history of what may have inspired the character, look up Behind the Mask of Zorro.
I am a little skeptical about all these "revelations" that "Zorro is 100% based on this historical character", with the historical character changing every time depending on who is telling the story: Joaquin Murrieta, Salomon Pico, Manuel Rodríguez Erdoíza, Tiburcio Vasquez, William Lamport, Estanislao, etc. The Murrieta case is particularly annoying since I can't find any pre-1998 source that compared Zorro to him or vice versa, but after the 1998 movie showed Murrieta's fictional brother succeeding Don Diego as Zorro everybody acted like Zorro being based on Murrieta had been common knowledge for decades. I don't think McCulley ever publicly discussed the creation of Zorro, in which case every speculation should be presented as a speculation rather than a fact.

So, you have answered all my questions except one: in which story do Diego and Lolita mary, and in which story (and of which cause) does Lolita die? I don't mind spoilers. Also, does Diego have other loves in subsequent stories?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"