Divergent

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
Summit Sets Divergent for March 21, 2014

Source: Summit Entertainment
September 12, 2012

Summit Entertainment announced today that its upcoming adaptation of Veronica Roth's Divergent will be released theatrically in North America on Friday, March 21, 2014.

Divergent is a thrilling adventure centered around the monumental choice of deciding who you are and discovering who you can be. Set in a future where America is divided into five ideological factions to stabilize society and uphold peace, every citizen must choose a permanent faction at age 16 - either their own or another. Struggling to survive her initiation into the most aggressive and physically demanding of the factions, Beatrice Prior must uncover her true hidden strengths and risk her family, her new found love, and her very own life to defuse a mysterious conspiracy which could change the balance of power forever.

The young adult novel was written by 23-year-old first time author Veronica Roth and has topped The New York Times Best Sellers list ever since being published in May of 2011 by Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins Publishers. The book was written by Roth while she was earning her undergraduate degree at Northwestern University. She followed her first novel with the book Insurgent, which has also made its way to the #1 position on specific New York Times Best Sellers lists. To date, both novels have sold nearly 1.5 million copies outpacing sales of "The Twilight Saga" novels at the same point in their literary lifespans.

The screenplay for the film is being written by Evan Daugherty with a filmmaker soon to be announced. The studio acquired the film rights to the novel in early 2011 several months before the book "Divergent" was published. Doug Wick and Lucy Fisher will produce the film via their Red Wagon Entertainment banner along with Pouya Shahbazian.

This happened with Hatry Potter and Twilight: Shameless Ripoffs..

Shailene Woodley has been cast as the female lead.

Auditions for the character of Four includes: Luke Bracey, Brenton Thwaites, Lucas Till and Jack Reynor.

Four More Join "Divergent" Adaptation

By Garth Franklin Friday March 15th 2013 12:31PM
Aaron Eckhart ("The Dark Knight"), Ray Stevenson ("Rome"), Miles Teller ("21 and Over") and Theo James ("Golden Boy") are all reportedly hopping onboard the upcoming adaptation of Veronica Roth's young adult dystopian novel "Divergent" at Summit Entertainment.
The story is set in a society divided into five factions that each represent a particular virtue: honesty, selflessness, bravery, peacefulness and intelligence.
Once a year, sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. It's then a teenage boy and girl set out to rebel against the system and discover a growing conflict that threatens to unravel this seemingly perfect society.
Shailene Woodley, Jai Courtney, Kate Winslet, Ansel Elgort, Zoe Kravitz and Maggie Q are already attached to star in the Neil Burger-directed project.
Doug Wick, Lucy Fisher and Pouya Shahbazian are producing. The film is currently targeting a March 21st 2014 release.
Source: Deadline

Kate Winslet, Aaron Eckhart, Ray Stevenson, Maggie Q, Jai Courtney and Shailene Woodley? Damn. I was hoping to ignore this like most of these young adult sci-fi/fantasy rip-offs, but this has too many people I like in it to do that now. Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst, lol.

Summit Sets ‘Jane Got A Gun’ Scribe Brian Duffield To Script ‘Divergent’ Sequel

By MIKE FLEMING JR | Tuesday May 7, 2013 @ 4:13pm PDTTags: Brian Duffield, Insurgent, Summit Entertainment, Veronica Roth's Divergent
http://www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/insurgent__130507225850.jpgEXCLUSIVE: Summit Entertainment is certainly bullish on its adaptation of the Veronica Roth bestselling series Divergent. It not only has assigned the film the March 21, 2014 slot that got The Hunger Games off to a flying start, but it has officially gotten underway on the sequel. Summit has just set Brian Duffield to script the sequel, Insurgent, which Doug Wick and Lucy Fisher will produce the film via their Red Wagon Entertainment banner along with Pouya Shahbazian. The second installment continues the journey of Tris Prior (Shailene Woodley) as war now looms. Sides will be chosen, secrets will emerge, and Tris will risk everything as she struggles to harness her incredible power. Theo James and Kate Winslet also star, and the first film was scripted by Evan Daugherty and Vanessa Taylor, with Neil Burger directing. The book has been atop or near it on The New York Times Bestseller list since Katherine Tegen Books/ HarperCollins published it in 2011. The first two books have sold a combined three million copies. The hope of Summit brass is this continues the young adult fantasy fare momentum that was captured by The Hunger Games series. Duffield, who is repped by Gersh and Circle of Confusion, scripted Jane Got A Gun, the Western that is currently in production with Gavin O’Connor directing and Natalie Portman, Joel Edgerton, Noah Emmerich and Ewan McGregor starring.

Usually the rip off is never as popular as the original. I hope Lions Gate doesn't actually believe it has some mega hit on it's hands. just because the idea sounds Hunger Gamish.

We need more female lead blockbusters so I wish it and Woodley good luck.

this has been on my to-read list for a while so i'll stay tuned

Is this something worth being excited about? Sure they've wrangled an impressive little cast, but an adaptation can only be as good as it's source material...

well have you read the source material?

here are some pics from the movie

divergent-pictures-10.jpg

divergent-pictures-11.jpg

divergent-pictures-6.jpg

divergent-pictures-3.jpg

well have you read the source material?

No. Which I was asking.

The way I see it, if the books are crap, the movie is going to be crap no matter what kind of talent they've assembled. If they're good, then the adaptation could still be bad, but it stands a much better chance.

i've only heard good things about the books, but i've not yet read them. they are on my to-read list

it's got a 4.39 out of 5 on goodreads if that helps

Even 13 seconds of that looks way better than anything in The Mortal Instruments trailer and I didn't even dislike that trailer. Also this is this is easily the least cheesiest cast since The Hunger Games which makes this look even more like a real movie and not just a cheap YA Novel cash in. Here's hoping the full trailer looks good.

I see virtually no difference between this and any other YA-based movie.

Eh 90% of comicbook movies look the same as well and I don't hear most nerds complaining. I'm not excited about Divergent at all but I'm willing to give the full trailer a chance.

I never said most CBMs didn't, but you're saying that those 13 seconds looked way better than anything from The Mortal Instruments and I'm just not seeing that at all, regardless of the better cast.

^ Looks decent. Shailene and Theo appears to have good chemistry too.

Last edited:
Eh, despite the fact that it does look like an actual film unlike some other films in this genre I wasn't feeling it all that much. I'll give it another shot though and it is just a teaser. I expect the full trailer with Catching Fire.

Summit/LionsGate are going to have a huge Hunger Games issue. They are going to have to make this movie not look like a complete rip-off. I couldn't help thinking Hunger Games while watching the teaser. It's okay to be a rip-off but you have to sell the individual film's uniqueness. I didn't quite see that uniqueness in the teaser.

Also at issue is that not one YA Novel based film after The Hunger Games has hit it big. The Host and Beautiful Creatures bombed and The Mortal Instruments just had a terrible five day weekend. Warm Bodies did well but it wasn't supposed to start a franchise and it still only did 116mil worldwide.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zelzela
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"