Divergent

I think I want this movie to succeed and Woodley to become the Next Big Thing (i.e. the new Jennifer Lawrence) simply because it might piss off all the people who claimed she wasn't pretty enough to play Mary Jane.

I think I want this movie to succeed and Woodley to become the Next Big Thing (i.e. the new Jennifer Lawrence) simply because it might piss off all the people who claimed she wasn't pretty enough to play Mary Jane.
That and I want to see more women leading action adventure films. Nothing talks more than money in Hollywood.

That and I want to see more women leading action adventure films. Nothing talks more than money in Hollywood.

Yeah. Aside from Hunger Games and the latest awful Milla Jovavich movie, there haven't been enough female-centric action movies over the past few years.

They want a Twilight/Hunger Games, not a Host.

Setting release dates for sequels before your film comes out is ******ed IMHO. But I understand that Summit's Gate is playing a mind game with the moviegoing audience by trying to make their film look successful before it comes out.

The trailer for this film looks so bad. Worse then Twilight. I like Woodley but can this possibly succeed? Do we really want it to?

Has there been an instance where setting release dates for sequels backfires if the first film bombs? I'm not talking about a broad date the studio is aiming for, like "summer 2014", but an actual date slotted in.

I would argue it might be worse than Twilight cause that at least made it clear on what its about. This so far hasn't really explained the premise.

Not as bad as Twilight, but very much a half-assed Hunger Games wannabe. There's nothing about it that makes me think it's worth my time.

Looks awful. Nothing in the trailer captured my interest. It appears to just want to cash in on THG's success.

This looks like such poop. Like I'm not even kidding.

The thought of raging diarrhea crossed my mine when I saw this trailer.

Also no offense to Woodley but I don't find her to be a very captivating actress. This is coming from someone who defended her as Mary Jane in TASM section. She doesn't grab my attention at all and I don't like when studios/agents try pushing some of these up in comers only to set them up for massive failure which sometimes ruin their careers before it even begins.

I hope Woodley proves me wrong in years to come and I wish her the best but her selection of films are somewhat questionable at the moment.

Also no offense to Woodley but I don't find her to be a very captivating actress. This is coming from someone who defended her as Mary Jane in TASM section. She doesn't grab my attention at all and I don't like when studios/agents try pushing some of these up in comers only to set them up for massive failure which sometimes ruin their careers before it even begins.

I hope Woodley proves me wrong in years to come and I wish her the best but her selection of films are somewhat questionable at the moment.
I agree I hate when Hollywood ruins actors by pushing them into big things too soon. I do hope there isn't any of that going on with Woodley. I think Woodley can act but I'm still doubtful she can lead a big film. It's not easy to successfully lead a big film. If it were every actor would successfully do it.

Woodley doesn't stand out because she's not ridiculously hot, like a lot of her ilk are. I think that will kind of force her to be viewed moreso for her ability. She did decent in the couple indie flicks she's done.

Not as bad as Twilight.
I was with you until the knife throwing and tattoo guy. At that point it looks even worse to me. Especially when tattoo guy opened his mouth.

Not as bad as Twilight, but very much a half-assed Hunger Games wannabe. There's nothing about it that makes me think it's worth my time.
Unfair to bring up Hunger Games. The Hungers Games films are real attempts to make good motion pictures. This is far more like Twilight in its aims.

3 times. I have seen the crappy trailer three times in my theaters. But I haven't seen the Interstellar trailer.

Woodley doesn't stand out because she's not ridiculously hot, like a lot of her ilk are. I think that will kind of force her to be viewed moreso for her ability. She did decent in the couple indie flicks she's done.
Whether you find her extremely attractive or not, I don't think she matches the talent of some of the better actress between 18-25.

Last edited:
Saw the trailer for this in front of Catching Fire. My mom turns to me and says, "This is just a Hunger Games ripoff, isn't it??"

I love my mom. :funny:

Your mom is indeed awesome. Not that you needed any confirmation. :D

Saw the trailer for this in front of Catching Fire. My mom turns to me and says, "This is just a Hunger Games ripoff, isn't it??"

I love my mom. :funny:
So I'm not the only one who saw Catching Fire with my Mom. lol. My mom didn't react so I'd have to ask her what she thought of the trailer.

Summit and Lions Gate are all under one roof now but Summit made this film. That should cause people to be leery because the Twilight films (eventhough I inexplicably enjoy them) are terrible films. If Lions Gate were behind it I think it would have a better shot of being a real film. To be fair they do have a decent enough director and cast but the script is going to be the most important thing.

Summit and Lions Gate are all under one roof now but Summit made this film. That should cause people to be leery because the Twilight films (eventhough I inexplicably enjoy them) are terrible films. If Lions Gate were behind it I think it would have a better shot of being a real film. To be fair they do have a decent enough director and cast but the script is going to be the most important thing.

The producers are the ones who are responsible for how it turns out. I don't think it'd make a lick of difference whether it comes out under the Lionsgate or Summit logo. Summit is still a fully-separate subsidiary under Lionsgate, not like Disney's Touchstone Pictures or WB's New Line labels.

I can't post the clip because I'm on my phone right now but the first clip from Divergent is cheesy as ****. I don't have an issue with the acting it's everything else that's groan inducing. I hope that music (which I like independently of the film) isn't used in the final scene and that dialogue...yeesh. I'm usually not a fan of clips because they are awkwardly cut but maybe the scene plays better in the film. I can't imagine that's ever going to be a good scene to me.

I think this was always conceived as 'The B-Team' franchise. Funny to think Twilight as A-Team status but on some ways it is. But not critically.

Any franchise that makes 3.3 billion is definitely an A-franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"