Endgame Do they have to die? (Cap, Thor, Iron Man)

Just my two cents, I feel the ones who got dusted in IW are obviously safe. it's the ones that are still alive that are in danger. Almost no one is safe imo.
Not cap, not IM, not BW, or hawkeye.
I think thor and hulk are safe, but I've been wrong before.

It's pretty obvious that someone is gonna have to make the sacrifice to bring everyone back.
It may be that it will take more than one to do it.
Whatever "it" is.

I would not be surprised if it turns out that everyone who got dusted was actually send to a safe space within the quantum realm, i have been thinking of that for a while now, i mean there have been so many theories, we are gonna get several twists.

I think from a storytelling point of view it would be very surprising if Tony was allowed to live after they give him that ridiculously overpowered suit in Infinity War.

The way i see it, there are only two possible outcomes for the "old" characters: Either they die, or they live. If they die, they are gonna remain in the mcu as icons of hope or something like that, used in dialogues in future movies. If they live, they are gonna stay as mentors, not having individual movies anymore and making cameos or supporting roles in future movies, like Tony in Homecoming. I dont see what else they can do with them.

The way i see it, there are only two possible outcomes for the "old" characters: Either they die, or they live. If they die, they are gonna remain in the mcu as icons of hope or something like that, used in dialogues in future movies. If they live, they are gonna stay as mentors, not having individual movies anymore and making cameos or supporting roles in future movies, like Tony in Homecoming. I dont see what else they can do with them.
I concur. After 6/7 films for several of them; their story is really kaput at this stage. We need fresh blood. I imagine (if they live) it'll be to be used to transition to newer and maybe unknown heroes.

They can always quietly live their lives off-screen and make a cameo or appearance if needed in the future as a 3rd option. Just saying. There is more to existing than dead or mentor.

They can always quietly live their lives off-screen and make a cameo or appearance if needed in the future as a 3rd option. Just saying. There is more to existing than dead or mentor.

That is just like option 2 lol is what i said, they are gonna continue as cameos, more than probably as mentors, i dont see any of them "retiring" from having to save the world just because some other people are doing it too.

If they do die and Marvel later want to recast these characters, then there are ways to bring each of them back to life.

Iron Man - Injected himself with Extremis before his death and has been around but just in hiding and ultimately proud that he faked his death.

Black Widow - Backup clone with all her memories.

Hulk - Radiation in his body caused it to resurrect spontaneously

Captain America - His death locked his soul into a fixed point in space and time and he'll be brought back to the present by using the quantum realm as a means of transporting him from the exact moment of his death.

Thor - Rebirth of Asgard itself.

War Machine - Tony Stark finds his corpse and brings him back from the dead with cybernetic parts.

Hawkeye - Reality itself is altered through time travel by Scarlet Witch in a way which brings Clint back from the dead.

Ant-Man - Same as Hawkeye. Wanda can do some amazing things.

All of these things happened in the comics.

Spider-Man, Loki, Wasp and Vision have also died and come back but their deaths will be reversed as will those of the Guardians, Scarlet Witch, Falcon, Black Panther, Winter Soldier and Doctor Strange since Loki, Winter Soldier, Vision, Scarlet Witch and Falcon are getting spin-offs on TV while film sequels for Spider-Man, Doctor Strange and Black Panther are all getting sequels in various stages of production. If they're coming back, then so's Wasp so it's a moot point to think of ways to resurrect them.

In all honesty, I think we'll get the New Avengers with Shang-Chi, Crystal, Valkyrie, Sersi and others for a while. I also feel like after Guardians 3, we'll get a new team with Adam Warlock, Phyla-Vell, Darkhawk, Moondragon, Nikki Gold and Nova as the roster.

And we need the Avengers to have their numbers decimated in order for the Thunderbolts to form. Zemo is likely to lead a new team of anti-heroes with Shocker, Bullseye, Ghost and others to be the new "heroes" the world needs. That alongside the Fantastic Four returning from space in a changed form while Charles Xavier assembles the X-Men.

I feel like Phase 4 needs to end with Kang's arrival forcing the Avengers to return. I'd title the film Kang Dynasty but use the tagline Heroes Return and the catalyst for them all coming back from the dead would be the newborn Franklin Richards subtly manipulating reality as a means of getting them all back at once. The MCU would have time to introduce new characters and new stories while not rushing the recasts or clogging their schedule with older characters.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has to die, but if you make that call, it better be permanent IMO. Comics have become awful with the death retcons, and to an almost unreadable extent. The MCU has also resurrected far more than they left dead. I'd rather they just stick to their guns instead of getting some of the garbage we've endured in the name of comics resurrection.

I'm a little torn on this. Part of me wants to see a big emotional death or two. Like Thor just throwing down with countless foes until he is eventually overwhelmed, or Cap making a final selfless sacrifice to help bring everyone back from the snap. Or both.

But... the ending of the movie should feel triumphant, ideally, and uplifting. So it will be a tricky thing to get the balance right. I also agree that they should only have the character death as described above if they really intend to go through with it. The snap is ok because of the way it was presented, but if they go for some climactic deaths in this film they should not cheapen them later by resurrecting the characters.

Moving to legacy characters in those cases would be the better option. Somebody who takes up the mantle.

Last edited:
I'm not crazy about legacy characters, either. I'd rather the void left by one character be filled by another. Like, if Cap or Iron Man die, fill their void with Carol or T'Challa. Not a literal copy.

I can definitely understand a certain amount of skepticism about legacy characters, but they are pretty common in the comics. With admittedly mixed results, but sometimes the concept can lead to something that is compelling.

Captain America could absolutely work as a legacy character, imho. As a generational thing. That's a case where we will probably see something along those lines even if Steve Rogers is still around in a different capacity.

Anyway, there are a lot of options, fans have discussed them for years, and it's certainly going to be interesting to see what happens now that we are moving into the stage of the MCU when many of the original characters will shift into the background most likely, in one way or another.

I think the MCU, especially once we get FF and X-Men into the fold, have so many better options to make movies about than versions of the characters that will inevitably get less loyalty. Bucky or Falcon will never get the respect Steve has gotten as Cap, so let them carve their own legacies in their current identities.

I think it's gotten to the point where it's almost the opposite, people love seeing themselves in these characters. Into the Spider-verse being a good recent example.

"Anyone can wear the mask."

Not in the sense of dismissing Peter Parker or Steve Rogers, but in the sense of making them part of a larger family, so to speak. We've also seen that with the "Bat family" in the comics.

So we'll see. But I think there will almost certainly be some ideas like that in the next phase of the MCU.

I'm a little torn on this. Part of me wants to see a big emotional death or two. Like Thor just throwing down with countless foes until he is eventually overwhelmed, or Cap making a final selfless sacrifice to help bring everyone back from the snap. Or both.

But... the ending of the moving should feel triumphant, ideally, and uplifting. So it will be a tricky thing to get the balance right. I also agree that they should only have the character death as described above if they really intend to go through with it. The snap is ok because of the way it was presented, but if they go for some climactic deaths in this film they should not cheapen them later by resurrecting the characters.

Moving to legacy characters in those cases would be the better option. Somebody who takes up the mantle.

Yeah but at the same time, people will eventually want these characters back. I say that they should get a break for around 5 years and let Marvel work on some new stuff. Let them end the current iteration of the Guardians as well and have a new team start up to to the Annihilation, Conquest and War of Kings trilogy Allow the Avengers roster to shift for a while. Have the X-Men, X-Force, Thunderbolts and Fantastic Four have the chance to shape the new MCU instead of having to share space/cameos with countless other characters. It also lets the Fantastic Four and X-Men be recast with new actors but still feel fresh. Let's not forget that the Avengers did die to stop Onslaught and they also all died in battle with Thanos. I'm fully expecting the current Avengers roster to die to resurrect the universe since them sacrificing themselves has happened multiple times in the comics.

And when the old Avengers return, they'll have a totally different world. Captain America sees either Bucky or Falcon wielding the shield, Iron Man enters a world where Stark Industries was purchased by Fukajawa Electronics and Pepper and Happy are now married living Rumiko Fukajawa as his love interest and Beth Cabe as his bodyguard. War Machine is now only partially human and has to deal with the fact that he's more machine than man. Thor has watched Asgard return but so has his late brother Baldur... and it's returned in Nornheim and Karnilla is less than pleased. The Hulk came back with a new stabled personality called Joe Fixit while both Bruce and Hulk are stuck inside his mind. Black Widow is less than happy about being cloned and wants to stop cloned super soldiers from becoming the future of warfare. Hawkeye's death made him realize that he wants to retire with his family and he begins training Kate Bishop as his successor. Ant-Man is now having to cope with the fact this his daughter is now following in his footsteps. The world won't change in these ways while the characters are still alive and the best way forward for each franchise is to kill them. The Fox deal is yet another reason to do this.

I think it's gotten to the point where it's almost the opposite, people love seeing themselves in these characters. Into the Spider-verse being a good recent example.

"Anyone can wear the mask."

Not in the sense of dismissing Peter Parker or Steve Rogers, but in the sense of making them part of a larger family, so to speak. We've also seen that with the "Bat family" in the comics.

So we'll see. But I think there will almost certainly be some ideas like that in the next phase of the MCU.

My counter to that is Into the Spider-Verse did solid BO...for a cartoon. But compared to other Spider-Man films, it grossed way less than even the lowest grossing Spider-Man movie starring Peter Parker. I loved that movie, don't get me wrong. But that is more of an exception, and grounded in the fact Sony has limited options for movies. Marvel has way more characters in the sandbox to play with. I'd rather see new characters and watch the universe grow rather than see them try to rebrand the same IPs over and over again.

1. Think about how many new characters are coming to the MCU as a result of the Fox purchase.

2. Consider how we never saw certain Avengers like Tigra, Swordsman, Black Knight, etc and how Shang Chi is only now getting a live-action adaptation.

3. Marvel left Zemo, Ghost, Shocker and Bullseye alive for a reason. T-Bolts is a given.

These characters need to go away for a while so Marvel have room to tell new stories. I don't even think we'll get legacy characters in their own films. I think we'll get new characters doing new things for the next five years.

And with Shang Chi and Eternals happening, I'm fully expecting Hercules to also get a film. She-Hulk would also be a given if not for Universal.

I'm not saying that new characters should be shunned, obviously, that's going to be a big part of it as well, as it should be.

But I do think that the studio will probably experiment with the legacy idea as well. You're right about Spider-verse not blowing up the box office, but it's an example of a trailblazing film, imho. I think we will eventually look back and see that it made a big impact on how people think about adapting these characters for the screen.

There are still plot threads to follow when these characters come back to life. We never saw Hulk fight the leader or meet the REAL Mandarin. I still feel like the old guard have to retire for a while so we can see the MCU really grow. Once Guardians 3 finally films, a new Guardians team alongside Ravagers, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer and Eternals as the new MCU cosmic universe.

The street-level MCU would get Spider-Man and Shang-Chi who would have solo films alongside fellow Avengers Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Doctor Strange.

And the X-Men and X-Force would be the new flagship teams while Disney+ gets X-Factor and New Mutants series.

That and a Black Widow prequel for five years. It'll be like Phase 1 all over again with things being fresh and new. Phase 4 should be about making things fresh and exciting with Galactus as the new Thanos.

And when it's time to bring the OG Avengers back to life, it shouldn't be until Marvel are doing 4 films a year.

Last edited:
I can't wait for Shang-Chi. Not because I'm a particular fan of the character, but just because it seems like something that could end up being awesome.

There needs to be deaths and absolute concenquences.

Imo....I think that all the original avengers should die. It feels the it started with them and this journey they have had for 20 movies needs to have an ending. It would be beyond epic to have the original avengers join together in a final fight against thanos and sacrifice themselves to defeat him.

However, you need to make sure every death isnt rushed. Every character needs their death to be a huge moment. You dont want people getting upset about stark and rogers dying and forgetting that hulk/thor/widow/hawkeye also died.

Russos have a lot of pressure pulling his off. There needs to be a balance where every character gets their moment. I think hawkeye dies early. Hulk or thor die in the early part of the final battle. Stark or rogers have that sacrificing end blow to save everyone in the end.

There needs to be deaths and absolute concenquences.

Imo....I think that all the original avengers should die. It feels the it started with them and this journey they have had for 20 movies needs to have an ending. It would be beyond epic to have the original avengers join together in a final fight against thanos and sacrifice themselves to defeat him.

However, you need to make sure every death isnt rushed. Every character needs their death to be a huge moment. You dont want people getting upset about stark and rogers dying and forgetting that hulk/thor/widow/hawkeye also died.

Russos have a lot of pressure pulling his off. There needs to be a balance where every character gets their moment. I think hawkeye dies early. Hulk or thor die in the early part of the final battle. Stark or rogers have that sacrificing end blow to save everyone in the end.
That's a little extreme. However, Cap or Iron Man definitely need to go.

If Thor dies I will no longer watch MCU films and I will delete my account from these boards.

How about that

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"