Do you believe in an "End of the World"

That needs further specification. Do you mean the planet not existing anymore? The planet no longer habitable for life? Or no more human life?

Depends. Do you believe divine intervention will take over at some point, ala Rapture and destruction, or an actual end scenario, human extinction, meteor impact, mass destruction event, sun burning out etc.

And yeah, technically Once the sun dies, it's all over. But depending on technology, it may not be the end of us. That's why I asked previously to change the thread title.

Last edited:
I'm saying the "End of the World" needs to be specified by defining what you mean by "end" and "world".

My apologizes, but someone had to do it:

[YT]Z0GFRcFm-aY[/YT]

Yeah, God loves to smite peoples

Our sun is a G-type main sequence star. These stars have a lifecycle of around 10 billion years, and our's is half-way through its life. When these types of stars run out of hydrogen in the core to burn they begin to burn hydorgen stored up in the outer layers. This will cause the Sun to puff up until its radius is 30 times greater. It will, at this point, be a Red Giant.

The outer layers of the sun will expand consuming Mercury, Venus, and most likely earth. As the hydrogen fuel at the core is consumed the core will contract and heat up. Hydrogen fusion will continue along a shell surrounding a helium core, which will steadily expand as more helium is produced. Once the core temperature reaches around 100 million kelvin, helium fusion at the core will begin producing carbon.The Sun will contract back to a bit larger than its original radius and will give off 10 times as much energy as what we are used to now. This phase only lasts another 500 million years, as there are a lot fewer helium nuclei, and the energy production is much less efficient.

As the Sun exhausts the helium in the core, it desperately staves off the inevitable by resorting again to those reserves in its outer layers. Again the Sun expands. This time, it grows so large that its outer edge is only weakly gravitationally bound to the core. The Sun barely holds itself together anymore. This eleventh-hour attempt at life-support is pitifully ineffective; the final red-giant stage can be maintained for only 100 million years.

At this point, the Sun's outer layers, freed from the gravitational clutches of the core, will waft away. Over the course of about 10,000 years, these layers will spread out into space as an enormous sphere of gas lit up by the now-naked hot core. These layers constitute a "planetary nebula," so called because in a small telescope the gas cloud looks a bit like the disc of a planet. The hot core is now a white dwarf, a stellar cinder. As a white dwarf, the ex-Sun will glow white-hot for many billions of years.

After the planetary nebula fades, there is no nuclear fusion at all (no extra fuel, no fuel tank, not even the trunk is left), just a lump of hot carbon and some happy memories. The Sun will be well and truly dead. A dark lump floating in space.

When this happens if something is left of the earth it can be said to be well and truly ended.

Before all this though, at the current rate the sun is increasing in temperature in about 1 billion years all the earths oceans will have boiled away and only cooked rock will be left at which point the earth could be called dead.

Either way in 1-5 billion years this planet will be a cinder.

According to our beliefs based on the Bible, there is no end to the Earth.

So theoretically if some kind of massive planet-wrecking asteroid was headed directly towards Earth and we have no way of stopping it...what? Nothing happens? It bounces off? It swerves away at the last second?

So theoretically if some kind of massive planet-wrecking asteroid was headed directly towards Earth and we have no way of stopping it...what? Nothing happens? It bounces off? It swerves away at the last second?

Then the belief is wrong of course. =D

According to our beliefs based on the Bible, there is no end to the Earth.
I'm actually sort of confused on this, because isnt the Rapture and whatnot supposed to be the end of the current world?
Also, I believe with everyone who has Christian views, but I do believes Revelation leaves a lot of speculation open as well.

If the Bible is correct in every detail, than the end of the world is described in the Book of Revelation.

I give the human race another 100-200 years, tops.

I'm actually sort of confused on this, because isnt the Rapture and whatnot supposed to be the end of the current world?
Also, I believe with everyone who has Christian views, but I do believes Revelation leaves a lot of speculation open as well.

I guess I should be a little more specific...according to Christian beliefs the Earth WILL burn in fire. So the "old" Earth...or the Earth as we know it passes away and a new life on Earth begins, i'm sure after a time of regrowth.

So, when I say the Earth will not be destroyed...I just mean the actual planet, but the Earth AS WE KNOW IT...will be gone.

I see it kind of like Mars...Mars once had rivers (we pretty much know this for fact) and with water usually comes life...something happened, and the Mars of the past was destroyed...and a new Mars was born. And who knows...maybe 100,000 years from now it'll regrow plant life, etc...

OF course...that' a common theme in the Bible. Life (We're born) Death (die to ourselves), life (metaphorically reborn), death (physical), Life (spiritual)

There won't be an "End Of The World" anytime soon. Only thing we have to fear is an asteroid. If one big enough was to ever hit, everything living on Earth would be dead.

The End World happens every night then it comes back in the morning.

I believe the world can end, but I don't believe in any prophecies.

The world is going to end eventually, in a couple billion years when the sun expands and engulfs it, although it will be uninhabitable for much longer before hand. So there's no need to 'believe', it's going to happen. :)

I think man will be the fall of the human race. Just the way it destroys the planet. I'd say humans will live about 2,000 more years. Some type of diseases will leave very few humans. BTW, I do think everything ends eventually.

You don't think science will advance enough by then to be disease proof assuming we're still around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"