Do you believe in an "End of the World"

What exactly do we mean by "end of the world"?. Is it literal in the sense that the Earth and other planets will be destroyed somehow, or are we talking about humans and other species being killed off?

I don't believe so. There's always something. But I'm just guessing I don't really follow science much or technology or the medical field.

The Sun will destroy the Earth eventually.

I don't believe in a fairy tale of giant monsters and sky people destroying the Earth.

Feels wierd knowing that humans won't exsist at some point. Of course we can always develop the technology to travel to other planets in the distant future.

What's the point? Once you have to leave earth just go down with the ship. I know there's not a chance in heck I would invest in leaving earth. Just seems like we don't know what to expect out there and it would be more work living than dying

I'm sure as time progresses, we'll know more about the cosmos and what to expect.

What's the point? Once you have to leave earth just go down with the ship. I know there's not a chance in heck I would invest in leaving earth. Just seems like we don't know what to expect out there and it would be more work living than dying

So you'd not take the chance of keeping humanity alive out of...laziness? :D

Yes, yes I do, and I probably won't be alive when it happens
You don't think science will advance enough by then to be disease proof assuming we're still around?
Never, viruses won't evolve to stop being parasitic

Never, viruses won't evolve to stop being parasitic

There's only so many way a virus can evolve. Even today many people don't die because of viruses.

Plus we can evolve our physiology much better than a virus can. 2000 years who knows what kind of mastery we'll have over our DNA. Combine that with bio-nanotech, cybernetics, etc. our bodies could incredibly resistance to any virus.

There's only so many way a virus can evolve. Even today many people don't die because of viruses.

Plus we can evolve our physiology much better than a virus can. 2000 years who knows what kind of mastery we'll have over our DNA. Combine that with bio-nanotech, cybernetics, etc. our bodies could incredibly resistance to any virus.

3+ billion years of evolution says otherwise. Viruses are far more resistant than we are and adapt at a much quicker rate than we do. Its why we have different strains of the flu every year, and it is also why our overuse of antibiotics is going to give us a truly horrible superbug some day. From what I gather, and anyone feel free to chime in, our current over use of antibiotics and hand sanatizer are killing off the low level competition that keeps the really evil stuff in check. Without the low level hitters competing the big ones just run rampant. Scientists are beginning to think we are going to hit a roadblock in antibiotic innovation about the time some hellacious uber bug rolls into town.

Oh, and simplicity does not mean a lack of innovation.

Last edited:
The only reason viruses have been scary is that our understanding of DNA/RNA is relatively new. That's already changing rapidly.

You guys are underestimating 2000 years of scientific development.

So you understand, then, that:

1) Viruses don't have any "physiology"

and

2) The treatment you linked us to has nothing to do with evolution?

Sounds like you don't understand. Yes, viruses do have physiology. Look it up. Google 'Physiology of Virus'.

The link supports my main argument of technological advancement in combating viruses.

3+ billion years of evolution says otherwise. Viruses are far more resistant than we are and adapt at a much quicker rate than we do. Its why we have different strains of the flu every year, and it is also why our overuse of antibiotics is going to give us a truly horrible superbug some day. From what I gather, and anyone feel free to chime in, our current over use of antibiotics and hand sanatizer are killing off the low level competition that keeps the really evil stuff in check. Without the low level hitters competing the big ones just run rampant. Scientists are beginning to think we are going to hit a roadblock in antibiotic innovation about the time some hellacious uber bug rolls into town.

Oh, and simplicity does not mean a lack of innovation.
The hand sanitizer abuse is only an issue insofar as it reduces our exposure and doesn't allow our immune system to build memory.

Chances are that a strain that evolves resistance to sanitizer won't simultaneously evolve resistance to antibiotics. In the absence of these selective pressures, we tend to see a loss of these traits because they are energetically expensive, and these strains tend to be outcompeted by those without these particular metabolic constraints. Have we seen strains that have both antibiotic resistance and show resistance to hand sanitizers? I honestly don't know, but I think it would be extremely rare, and would only persist in the constant presence of these pressures. I could be wrong, but I think (and I'm recalling from memory, here) that there's experimental evidence to that effect.

Also, this has more to do with bacterial infections than it has to do with viral infections.

The hand sanitizer abuse is only an issue insofar as it reduces our exposure and doesn't allow our immune system to build memory.

Chances are that a strain that evolves resistance to sanitizer won't simultaneously evolve resistance to antibiotics. In the absence of these selective pressures, we tend to see a loss of these traits because they are energetically expensive, and these strains tend to be outcompeted by those without these particular metabolic constraints. Have we seen strains that have both antibiotic resistance and show resistance to hand sanitizers? I honestly don't know, but I think it would be extremely rare, and would only persist in the constant presence of these pressures. I could be wrong, but I think (and I'm recalling from memory, here) that there's experimental evidence to that effect.

Also, this has more to do with bacterial infections than it has to do with viral infections.

Ah, very true.

Last edited:
Sounds like you don't understand. Yes, viruses do have physiology. Look it up. Google 'Physiology of Virus'.
Just did. Not one source suggests that viruses have their own physiology.

Again I ask: do you understand how viruses work?

fanboiii said:
The link supports my main argument of technological advancement in combating viruses.
That's not evolution.

Just did. Not one source suggests that viruses have their own physiology.

Again I ask: do you understand how viruses work?

That's not evolution.

Well, since you don't know how to use Google, I guess it wouldn't mean much answering any of your questions. lol, you can fixate on terminology as much as you want.

Well, since you don't know how to use Google, I guess it wouldn't mean much answering any of your questions.
Why do you keep avoiding the question?

Let's start with a much simpler question: what IS a virus?

fanboiii said:
lol, you can fixate on terminology as much as you want.
Well, given that I have a rather intense professional interest in evolutionary biology, I think that would be appropriate.

Let me just say, if we ever do make viruses inert in the human body I will be glad to be rid of the common cold.

Let me just say, if we ever do make viruses inert in the human body I will be glad to be rid of the common cold.
Actually, I could think of some potential ways in which such a scenario could become dangerous in the long-term. The continued evolution of our immune system relies on the persistence of selective pressures.

No wonder you can't handle being wrong.
Except I'm not wrong in the slightest. I'm noticing that you've yet again avoided the question.

What is a virus, fanboiii, and how do they work?

You could provide one trustworthy source to support your argument (since you're a master of Google, apparently), yet you refuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"