Do you hope the Initiative suceeds or fails?

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
Do you hope the Initiative suceeds or fails?

Personally I hope it fails. I think Stark has too much power at the moment and this power has allowed himself to become arrogant. This may make him sloppy in the long run. Frankly I think he needs a lesson in humility to be a good superhero again.

I would love to see a super villain completely destory Tony's 100 idea plan, forcing tony to realize the error of his ways. Frankly Tony's need for organization and control can be weakness as well as strength. A villain with good computer skills put a real dent in Tony's armour, so to speak. Said villain could overide the anno controls enslaving the T-bolt villains and have a an army of villains ready to strike at heroes or said villain could his his skills to hack into the SHIELD database and get secret IDs of every registered hero. There many ways for Tony's little empire to crash and burn.

But any way which option do you pick?

The iniative is a double edged sword, on the one hand I want the SHRA to stay in, to change things at least for a while, but I can't help feeling it's all going to be wiped out after world war hulk.

Realistically I want it to succeed.

Heroes do need to be properly trained and answerable to those they want to protect.

Heroes do need to be properly trained and answerable to those they want to protect.

Fail. If the 616 was real, I bet we'd all want it around. But as a comic book reader? Its not particularly interesting to read about.

Why are the villains supposed to pose a threat in this enviroment? How are we supposed to have interesting hero vs villain conflicts if the heroes have all the advanatages?

i like the idea of superheroes in every state but i'rather it be by THIER choice not by federal mandate

I hold out hope for nothing, save for I survive to see another day.

It will fail. Spidey's statement (to himself I think) about why they had to fight against the SHRA was that they werent fighting for their right to wear masks, but for the right to be able to be there for the people when the darkness comes without question, because its the right thing to do.

Now what happens when something impossibly bad comes in tearing up the city, or a cosmic being starts another reality shifting scheme, and a tonne of heroes are told they cant come and assist because their assignment is in a different state, or the big boss feels certain heroes are more suited than others? So many of these registered heroes are not going to be able to sit on the sidelines as "back up". They are going to feel like they are supposed to feel as heroes, that they have a duty as people who can make that difference when no one else can, when the darkness has come, to meet that evil head on no matter what anyone orders them to do. Therefore they will slowly begin to go against that authority.

What happens when Magneto starts up again and the government orders all the heroes to lead an all out war on Genosha to remove him from power before he sets his sights on mutant supremacy again? What happens when a Wanda happens again and the government determines its too much of a threat to let that person continue to live? Is Reed Richards going to carry out that order? Will Stark actually condone an all out attack on Magneto just because the government fears what he may become?

What about when action needs to be taken like in the last secret war? The government told Fury it couldnt be done for political reasons, so he had to band together heroes who knew where the line was and that action was required. If they're all registered now, how will "the right thing" be done? Fury was against the SHRA, and his actions to do the right thing in the past are what made the government and overseers dislike him and fear him so much so that they appointed Hill, who was a government lapdog by all accounts.

Stark heads SHIELD. But even the director of SHIELD answers to others. So the buck doesnt stop with Tony.

I really hope it doesn't fail. It's the one thing about Civil War that I actually like, and I hate when there's a major change in comics, and then the status quo magically returns.

I don't care. Fail or not, the damage has been done already.

(A moments thought)

I want it all "UnDone".

I'm out of my comfort zone with Marvel Comics right now,... I want everything the way it was Prior to Gwen Stacy giving a mercy (incert appr word) to the green Goblin because she felt sorry for him.

Being Marvel comics,.. they have about SEVEN GOOD WAYS to pull it off.

Don't like the initiative as depicted,..

Don't like the "mighty Avengers" as depicted, (C'mon,.. they killed tens of living creatures not shown killing people.)

Not liking the dumbification of Peter Parker,..

Not Liking the 90 degree and mischaracaterization of the Thunderbolts,

Not liking the DEATH of Alpha Flight,..

As much as I LOVED Luke Cage becoming an AVENGER and his DOING the RIGHT THING and getting Married,... I would trade that great feeling just to UNDO this mess.

Sigh,...

Rant suspended due to Monday Morning blues,.............

I hope it fails. More crazy stories to ensue...everything seems a little too structured right now...

I quite like the idea of the Initiative it's just the character raping that took place in Civil War that was the problem (and it was rather boring but that's another thing). I hope it succeeds and we have a different status quo for a long while - that I want to see Dan Slott make the sales.

The problem isn't the Initiative itself, the idea IMO is solid and interesting, it was the execution leading up to this point that pretty much tarnishes the idea. If Marvel could go back and not make Reed and Tony and the Pro-Reg forces murdering, clone creating, superhero jailing super *****ebags, then I think in my wisest of forms, that the Initiative would be a lot better recieved.

That being said, I look forward to it and I'm eager to see where they go with all of this, especially Slott's Initiative and Omega Flight, Nova, etc.

In terms of story telling I hope it succeeds for a while. I'd like to see a comic or a few issues about each team, like the Texas team or the Ohio team. Perhaps have an issue for each team.
Buty you know eventually it will have to end, I mean can you honestly say that in 5 or 10 years this is what Marvel will be like? I don't see them keeping this momentum. I am looking forward to what stories come from it, but it feels a little forced.

Plus I think World War Hulk is coming and will end it for us anyway.

i like the idea of superheroes in every state but i'rather it be by THIER choice not by federal mandate
I halfway agree. I hope the Initiative succeeds in redistributing the heroes and then goes away, leaving Marvel's superhero population spread out more but doing away with the registration jazz.

Well, I like the idea of having superheroes for every state, rather than all clustered in New York (with a few in California). That's assuming that Marvel will actually do stories about all those groups. (I wonder if they've made up a list of who's assigned to what state.)

Tony Stark, on the other hand, could fall into a deep, dark well & I wouldn't mind a bit!

Marvel's increasingly fascistic government patrolled by super-police in every state? It's a scary thought.

Under the SHRA, the superheroes have to follow the orders of the government. That means going to any war the government sends you to. And think about this. What if mutant levels rise again, and the superheroes are required to hunt down and arrest all mutants that won't comply with the SHRA? An incredibly fastistic society.

The Initiative should fail.

The fact that they're answerable to SHIELD is really the only down side, though. Realistically, every one of us would want superhumans to be trained if they're going to be running around on our streets.

Realistically, the Marvel-ACLU ought to be challenging this law. (Marvel says they're trying to be more realistic, right?) That's how laws get thrown out or changed.

Personally, I think requiring heroes to work for the government is indefensible. (I wouldn't think it would be legal, but I know hardly anything about law.) I think requiring training is perfectly sensible. As for registration...I can see both sides of the argument. I think they ought to be required to register with some government approved agency (NOT SHIELD!). Something along the lines of the AMA or the Bar Association, operated by heroes that most people respect. I bet Dr.Strange could come up with a really good way to protect heroes' private information.

That's true, Corpulent.

But lets face it. The fact that some superheroes act outside of the law is what makes them so effective. Cops have so much red tape in their way, they can never get as much done as, say, Daredevil. If a cop punched the crap out of a drug dealer, he'd probably be thrown out of the force. That kind of thing doesn't get in the way of Daredevil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"