Do you think that young people today are under more pressure?

Seriously dude, you compare your self worth to Lebron James? One super gifted athelete out of billions of people. I'm sorry man, you're going to have one hard life. Here's a little advice, don't compare your self worth to the 1% of the super rich, otherwise you'll always feel inferior or maybe not, maybe it'll drive you to become part of that 1%, although you're already way behind, you really should have made that first million by now, slacker!

I didn't compare my entire self worth to Lebron, but I did feel overshadowed a bit by him at the time. I was making damn good grades in school, but I was pissed that nobody really gave a **** because they wanted to keep talking about Lebron's contract. Who wouldn't be pissed in a moment like that? Personally it didn't effect me that much because I have done many things in my life that I'm proud of, and I've learned already not to care too much. Just don't think that I hung my head in shame for the rest of my life because of some athlete. I was using that example, because I know plenty of young people who get ignored because a celebrity their age is making millions. That really messes with a ton of young people that I know personally, and it gets overlooked because people act like young people's problems don't matter at all.

And some of you are confusing life being hard with having pressure. I'll use Walrus' example of milking cows in the morning while having to go to school. That may be harder than what kids do now, but there isn't necessarily that much pressure to doing something that is required. Back then your life was already set down a path. Now you have so many different things you can do that you have to battle with what you want before you even set out on the path you chose. To me it was a helluva lot harder to decide what I want to do with my life than to go down one set path that everyone my age is doing.

Young people are not under more pressure today. There is just the false perception they are. Back in the days, people had several kids knowing likely not all of them would live, and we would die relatively young. You needed to be in a career by age 20, or in your first low end job at least in that field at least. Now, we can go to school practically til we're 30, and still have 40 or 50 years potentially in that field. We also have more time savers and options than ever before. Do we see kids today working coal mines? No. Young people THINK the weight of the world is on their shoulders. All young people go through an egocentric phase like that. Doesn't mean we are.

You make it sound like you are the first person to experience what you are feeling. I mean you feel pressure about the future because you have to make grown up decisions that affect your life. That's everybody's life.

After a while, you stop relying on your family and you decide what you want to do, who you want to be and where you want to go.

The thing is now you have only one person to blame for your successes/failures and that's you.

Trying to do the, nobody understands what I'm going through when almost everybody has gone through something pretty similar to what you are describing is kinda comical.

It's only going to get harder.

Lastly, the analogy about milking cows and not having pressure. I think the pressure of there's not going to be food on the table if I don't do my daily chores before and after school is a lot of pressure.

I didn't compare my entire self worth to Lebron, but I did feel overshadowed a bit by him at the time. I was making damn good grades in school, but I was pissed that nobody really gave a **** because they wanted to keep talking about Lebron's contract. Who wouldn't be pissed in a moment like that? Personally it didn't effect me that much because I have done many things in my life that I'm proud of, and I've learned already not to care too much. Just don't think that I hung my head in shame for the rest of my life because of some athlete. I was using that example, because I know plenty of young people who get ignored because a celebrity their age is making millions. That really messes with a ton of young people that I know personally, and it gets overlooked because people act like young people's problems don't matter at all.

This confuses the hell out of me. So what if people are amazed by Lebron's contract? There are always going to be athletes or actors making ridiculous sums of money. Is that why you are getting the grades you are getting....just so you can feel all warm and fuzzy when someone pats you on the head? Sounds like your "pressure" is to get accolades from your peers. Boo Hoo. Get used to it. You're going to get a job someday where you'll be lucky if the boss gives you a "good job" on a regular basis, if at all. If it's going to make you get all mopey and wonder about life every time that happens you're going to have a long hard life. Suck it up.

Who are you looking for praise from? Your friends? Your parents?

This confuses the hell out of me. So what if people are amazed by Lebron's contract? There are always going to be athletes or actors making ridiculous sums of money. Is that why you are getting the grades you are getting....just so you can feel all warm and fuzzy when someone pats you on the head? Sounds like your "pressure" is to get accolades from your peers. Boo Hoo. Get used to it. You're going to get a job someday where you'll be lucky if the boss gives you a "good job" on a regular basis, if at all. If it's going to make you get all mopey and wonder about life every time that happens you're going to have a long hard life. Suck it up.

Who are you looking for praise from? Your friends? Your parents?

Okay you're missing the point. It's not that I was actively looking for praise with my grades. I have always had good grades in school, and it put tons of pressure on me as a kid from my family. I was always told that I couldn't be average and all, but when I was beyond average no one gave a damn until I messed up a little. The Lebron James thing was an example of it, and it was something that irritated me back then. Trust me I have gotten over it, and it wasn't anything more than a week of me being upset at people around me not acknowledging what I was accomplishing. I was never mad at Lebron James, and I've always been a big fan of the guy. As for this suck it up stuff, I have done more than that. I am the boss, and I have run my own business to where I'm dictating what older people than I do. I know how the business world works, and I have never been jealous of any of my peers, let alone a guy I don't even know. This is not about jealousy. My example is very small compared to the people around me, and I was just using it to get an answer to my question. I think that young people don't get heard, and they always have people trying to control what they do with their lives, and it adds to a high amount of pressure that isn't acknowledged.

I'm 15 and life is one mean mother ****er. Everything is hard, Classes are harder, Trying to get into college...Life is pretty tough for High School Kids
Getting into college is probably really hard when you capitalize random words in a sentence. :up:

I'm 15 and life is one mean mother ****er. Everything is hard, Classes are harder, Trying to get into college...Life is pretty tough for High School Kids

Well as someone that was in HS during the 80's and college, and have taught for the past 19 years, I can tell you with great certainty that the High School curriculum has been lessened in the rigor of the work, and totally "dumb" downed to a huge degree. Especially in the areas of Science and Math. That is why our country is in a major "brain drain" today.

Well as someone that was in HS during the 80's and college, and have taught for the past 19 years, I can tell you with great certainty that the High School curriculum has been lessened in the rigor of the work, and totally "dumb" downed to a huge degree. Especially in the areas of Science and Math. That is why our country is in a major "brain drain" today.

I agree with you about the school curriculum. I don't think students get challenged enough like they should. It really catches up to them after high school, and then they have to really put in work in college so they don't get left too far behind. I think education is too divided in America. Some school districts are great, while others are really not cutting it.

Anubis said:
That's heretic. He crazy. Like, hold up in a bunker in the wilds of Montana with a few thousand guns and some underage girls crazy.

The comment above was both low and tasteless. Not cool dude. :down

So infraction?

No infraction this time. :whatever:

However, be aware that some users may be more sensitive than others; hence the need to weigh your words carefully--even when joking around. You've been with us long enough to know who those posters are.

Well, I don't know everybody. :o I spent the last four years sticking to the comics forums. Still feeling my way around these parts.

I think that we are at a strange period in history...

The generations coming up will be dealing with economic strife that is unimaginable. The country will be in debt by amunts that will never be paid back, and it is very likely that the dollar, and our entire econimic system, will collapse within our lifetimes.

Yet...the youth today dont feel that pressure. That are the most pampered and apathetic group of kids in our countries history. We need for this to be our greatest generation, to somehow save the country from collapse. Instead, it is probably our weakest.

i agree for the most part, except that this generation isn't the weakest; the next one is.

also your spelling; i disagree with your spelling.

i agree for the most part, except that this generation isn't the weakest; the next one is.

also your spelling; i disagree with your spelling.

I'm personally ashamed of pluralizing "Country's". I almost always miss the letter O in my posts since that button sticks on my laptop thanks to my cat destroying that and a Shift button.

And we have no clue what the next generation will be like. I like to think that at some point a generation will realize that the laziness and ego of their parents have hurt the country and will take action to better their lot in life. Either that or we'll end up putting Gatorade on plants because they crave electrolytes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"