Doc Ock's Lair v2 - Part 1

Discussion in 'Spidey-World' started by Thread Manager, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Spidey_62

Spidey_62 This is so not spandex

That is awesome! I kinda want to make one, lol.

2. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Don't forget to pick up ASM #698 next month where
    Doc Ock learns Spidey's identity.

The **** is about to hit the fan :otto:

3. Thwip!

Thwip! Well-Known Member

aww hellz yeah

4. Jack O Lantern

Jack O Lantern Mad Jack

And, after this weeks issue it looks like

Norman Osborn

will be involved as well.

5. NCBIII

NCBIII Well-Known Member

What are some good Ock stories to read? I've read the classic Lee/Ditko and Lee/Romita stuff, and I enjoyed his first two arcs in USM. If you have any suggestions, are any available in TPB? Thanks!

6. OctoHaz

OctoHaz Doc Ock Fangirl

Ock's part in the Clone Saga (the original) has always been one of my favorite arcs (such a shame it didn't last).

The 2nd and 3rd Sinister Six arcs -> Armani Ock being the most badass mofo on the planet, for reals.

There are others, many others, but my brain's melting from lack of sleep and I've gotta run off to class. B)

7. Hobgoblin

Hobgoblin Veritas veritatum

It will definitely be an interesting read. Slott has said that a lot of continuity from past stories will be involved, cant wait to see what from which stories.

Something else I'm looking forward to. :gg: :bomb:

8. The Joker

Doctor Octopus: Negative Exposure is a great one, too, along with the ones OctoHaz mentioned.

His arc in Spectacular Spider-Man #73-79 is also glorious. Ock is so sinister in it that he scares Spider-Man.

9. The Joker

Has anyone read ASM #698? Be prepared for a whopper of a spoiler, the greatest act of evil Ock has ever performed on Spidey
    Ock has managed to transfer his mind into Peter's body and transfer Peter's mind into Ock's dying body.

In The Raft a swat team is called into Doc Ock’s room where he is on his death bed after he began murmuring something. The doctor present wants to be on the safe side after him almost wiping out mankind during EOTE even in his weakened state. A swat guy then leans in to hear what he’s saying- (the clues on the cover).

At the raft Captain America is there with Haweye, Wolvie, Spider-Woman…and maybe someone else as he tells Spidey Ock is on his death bed and has been asking for Peter Parker. Inside Peter says he wants to talk to Doc on his own without cameras (bad idea)…. as he walks into Ock’s room alone. Inside Ock croaks out ‘peter …. parker’. ‘Yes, I am Peter Parker’ Says Spidey, removing his mask for Otto.

Then Spidey? says- ‘No I am Peter Parker’ and explains how Octavius has switched bodies with Peter. Peter now inhabits Ock’s broken and dying body and Ock inhabits the body of Spider-Man with all of his knowledge and memories. Gloating Ock announces how Spidey will now die never knowing how he performed his greatest trick. Ock’s body containing Peter Parker’s soul then goes into cardiac arrest and he dies as Ock strides off in Peter’s body!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OH. MY. GOD!!!!!! :otto:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  10. Hobgoblin

Hobgoblin Veritas veritatum

Spectacular Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #6 to #10. Its a story called Countdown.

Trying..not..to look!

11. The Joker

I've added scans to the spoiler. Seriously it is one of the most mind blowing twists I've ever read.

12. Jick

Jick Auxiliary Assistant

I wonder if the [blackout]Superior Spidey is really going to be him[/blackout]...
    But I have a feeling it won't.

Even though I'm not reading it, I hope it all ends well by the end of #700.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  13. The Joker

You might want to spoiler tag that, Jick.

14. OctoHaz

OctoHaz Doc Ock Fangirl

I'm still flabbergasted by #698, especially as to the HOW and the WHEN.

As a plot situation, it's one of the crackiest things I've ever read in comics (I mean, seriously, if I saw it in a roleplay or a fanfic, I'd snort), but if Slott can execute it well and RESOLVE it well, I'm good with it. Mainly because, well, Slott knows how to write Ock's voice.

If it turns out Ock's gonna stay in Peter's body for a while AND be Spider-Man, I can certainly see why the new title would be called "Superior". I just don't know of Marvel has the guts to actually do it! I also suspect it would be a fairly short-run title.

I also don't want Peter to be dead! :huh: Or for Ock to die either! :cmad:

15. The Joker

Ever since ASM #600 Slott has been writing Ock as a fierce villainous force to be reckoned with. I'm re-reading 'Ends of the Earth' at the moment and it's so good. Not just Slott, but other Marvel writers. Ock's been causing mischief in Iron Man and The Avengers, too. He's given a wedgie to some of Marvel's mightiest heroes ever since he copped this ill condition.

See Marvel, you can do it when you try. Ock has been on fire for the last three years. I've got total confidence that Slott is taking this is really interesting and great directions.

I can't wait. What Ock just did is unprecedented for ANY Spidey villain.

16. OctoHaz

OctoHaz Doc Ock Fangirl

Been a long freakin' time since I drew an Otto (especially since there was a period I was drawing him ALL THE FREAKING TIME). Think I'm a lil' out of practice.

[​IMG]

(Also, after long long last, I finally once again own Spiderman 2... on bluray! Huzzah for post-Thanksgiving sales.)

17. Mistah K88

Mistah K88 Well-Known Member

18. Jick

Jick Auxiliary Assistant

Efrem Zimbalist Jr is by far my favorite. He also did it for the PS1 game.
    I just looked on Wikipedia and I'm surprised to know that he did the voice of Alfred Pennyworth in the DC cartoons.

Peter MacNicol did a good job too in the Spectacular series. There's something about his voice for Ock that sounded great for that version but I can't point exactly what it was. Alfred Molina did well too when he voiced Ock in the SM2 game.

19. OctoHaz

OctoHaz Doc Ock Fangirl

I have to say, as much as I haaaaaaaate the new Spidey cartoon and haaaaaaaaate Ock's visual design in it, Tom Kenny does some fan-freaking-TABulous voicework. He's got that edge of obsession and barely-repressed rage.

Zimbalist's actually one of my least favorite, but only because I don't like Ock with a German (or British, or anything but American) accent. The man was born in Schenectady, NY for pity's sake! (And that's the canon I'm stickin' to.) B)

20. The Joker

Classic Ock :up:

Dare I ask what that button he's holding in his hand does? :otto:

I'd have to agree with Haz and say Tom Kenny. I loathe the USM cartoon, but Kenny's voice is perfect for Doc Ock.

Honestly though there has not been a vocal performance I haven't enjoyed. Zimbalist, McNicol, Molina....they all put their own stamp on it and all of them worked.

21. OctoHaz

OctoHaz Doc Ock Fangirl

Something terrible and nefarious, I suspect. :otto:

Dangit, I was all set to hunt down #699 today, but it's not out 'til NEXT week! *shakes impotent fist*

22. GamerSlyRatchet

GamerSlyRatchet Well-Known Member

Though Efrem's German accent added on his performance was odd, he did fine as Ock. Tom Kenny is surprisingly creepy as well. And Peter McNicol was excellent, and worked best when cold, calm, and calculating, such as in "Shear Strength".

I actually liked his design on that show, believe it or not. It's the one sole design in that show that didn't bore me to sleep.

23. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

I didn't want to click the spoiler, and I did. I peed my pants! This is all Slott's doing?! I still havent read ANY of Slott's run and need to begin immediately now!

24. OctoHaz

OctoHaz Doc Ock Fangirl

Because there aren't enough Doc Ock fan blogs out there, I made one. Unfortunately, the board's swear-filter doesn't like the url much. It's f---yeahdoctoroctopus.tumblr.com -- replace the dashes with the appropriate letters. :p

Just started, so there's not a heck of a lot up yet. I'm trying to put something up every day. Enjoy!

25. The Joker

AWESOME :up:

Loving it so far. I really want to read his story in the Webspinners title. It's very tough to track down.