Doctor Sleep

Isn't Nicholson pretty much retired now?

He hasn't been in a movie since 2010. But Peter Cushing has been dead for twenty-some years, and it didn't stop him from appearing in Rogue One :cwink:. They could have done something similar.

how does that in any way correlate with its opening weekend box office?
I knew it wouldn't do that great because it's sequel to a Kubrick film, but that was the death knell. A terrible, laughable choice. Doctor Sleep is also an awful title.

The average viewer wouldn’t have even known that ahead of time, plus Doctor Sleep is the name of the book its based on.

I know they wouldn't know. I'm just saying I knew it wouldn't do well because that was a huge warning sign.

Doctor Sleep is still a bad title. :shrug:

Saw this last night and am going to need to see it again, because I dozed off a few times and missed some plot points—ok so it was a late showing and I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before. :o

From what I did catch, it was a very well-made movie and a worthy follow-up to The Shining. And Flanagan continues to impress me with every movie he's done so far. He's becoming one of those filmmakers who I'll watch anything from, no matter what it is. IMO he should direct any Conjuring-verse movies that James Wan might not want to, because he has a style that's similar to Wan's while also being different.

Also, as someone who actually lives in Colorado not far from the famed Stanley Hotel, I hate it when movies show geographical inaccuracies. Like clearly showing the Canadian Rockies when the movie is supposed to be set in Colorado's Rocky Mountains.

It also kinda bothered me that they showed it snowing there and the characters were walking around like it was nothing and weren't clothed properly. As someone who's been to Estes Park in the winter, it is absolutely and totally freezing when it snows there, not to mention that driving is typically not a good idea because of how hazardous it can be. I mean, I get movie logic, but it's also just facepalm-inducing sometimes.....

Last edited:
I know they wouldn't know. I'm just saying I knew it wouldn't do well because that was a huge warning sign.

Doctor Sleep is still a bad title. :shrug:

The Shining 2: Electric Boogaloo?

The Shininger: Now With 75% More Shine!

He hasn't been in a movie since 2010. But Peter Cushing has been dead for twenty-some years, and it didn't stop him from appearing in Rogue One :cwink:. They could have done something similar.
Well, since it is conceivable that James Dean could be nominated for an Oscar next year, I guess anythings possible!

From what I did catch, it was a very well-made movie and a worthy follow-up to The Shining. And Flanagan continues to impress me with every movie he's done so far. He's becoming one of those filmmakers who I'll watch anything from, no matter what it is. IMO he should direct any Conjuring-verse movies that James Wan might not want to, because he has a style that's similar to Wan's while also being different..

I imagine Flanagan will get a chance to direct another big film for WB, despite Doctor Sleep not doing well box office wise, the film itself isn't at fault given the reviews and audience who are seeing it liking it.

I suspect with Stephen King having a degree of creative control, I imagine they couldn't rename the film The Shining 2 or The Shining: whatever.

So I tried to go see Doctor Sleep today. And actually did see probably about 45 minutes or so, not that I was fully focusing, because there was a large group of teenage girls who were incessantly talking and loudly giggling and playing musical chairs the whole time. In hindsight I probably could have gotten my money back, but at the time I impulsively got up and walked out, and called them stupid *****es (to appease the delicate sensibilities of the censors, I called them stupid female dogs) as I walked past them, which got a little gasp out of one of them and a laugh from a couple other people nearby.

After impulsively walking outside, I pondered for a minute about whether or not to back in, but by then I'd already missed a few minutes of the movie and hadn't been able to fully focus on what I had seen, and I was vibrating with righteous indignation, so I went home.

Not gonna lie, I almost don't want to try a movie again tomorrow because I'm afraid of getting twice burned now.

I wouldn't be surprised if King thought that this was going to be an easy box office win.

I wouldn't be surprised if King thought that this was going to be an easy box office win.

I imagine after It did really well, WB probably were eager to adapt another Stephen King novel. They've had the most success with his novels as It, It 2 and The Green Mile were really successful.

And I would have agreed with you, had I been online. A de-aged Jack Nicholson returning as a redeemed Jack Torrance would have sold a few million more tickets, most definitely.
I actually thought it was refreshing to just go with the tried and true method of suggesting the character with another actor. It allows it to just be a performance instead of a trick.

This movie didn't have the means to convincingly pull off CG de-aging anyway.

Going soon, any jump scares?

Not that I can recall. It's not really that type of horror movie. There are a couple of shocking reveals. The horror is more
that this clan is going after children.

Saw this last night and am going to need to see it again, because I dozed off a few times and missed some plot points—ok so it was a late showing and I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before. :o

So Doctor Sleep was apropos. :oldrazz:

So I tried to go see Doctor Sleep today. And actually did see probably about 45 minutes or so, not that I was fully focusing, because there was a large group of teenage girls who were incessantly talking and loudly giggling and playing musical chairs the whole time. In hindsight I probably could have gotten my money back, but at the time I impulsively got up and walked out, and called them stupid *****es (to appease the delicate sensibilities of the censors, I called them stupid female dogs) as I walked past them, which got a little gasp out of one of them and a laugh from a couple other people nearby.

After impulsively walking outside, I pondered for a minute about whether or not to back in, but by then I'd already missed a few minutes of the movie and hadn't been able to fully focus on what I had seen, and I was vibrating with righteous indignation, so I went home.

Not gonna lie, I almost don't want to try a movie again tomorrow because I'm afraid of getting twice burned now.
Sounds unfortunate.

What shame. People can be so inconsiderate in cinemas. Don't know how to behave and stay still for a couple of hours. Hopefully your next experience is a better one .

This was pretty entertaining. I haven't seen the Shining and
that mansion especially the woman in the bathtub really creeped me out. And the others just look way creepy compare to Rebecca's gang.
I'm guessing that the first film was much scarier. The scenes with Rebecca Ferguson and her gang aren't really scary. I liked her role in this and Hollywood really likes casting her.

I think I prefer this over It 2, simply because this was more intriguing.

Do yourself a favor and watch The Shining as quickly as possible. It's less about traditional horror and more about horror of the human condition and the acts of violence people do to eachother like Rose the Hat and the various horrors that take the shape of King's absolute evil which King tends to write about. The first film is more about the exploration of the inherent evil of man.

Had very similar with the first IT movie, it's so annoying and they don't give a **** about ruining it for other people

So this is slow and overlong but pretty good. Lots of interesting stuff with astral projection, mind palaces, and such that you don't see onscreen much.

Ewan was fine, but the best performances IMO were Kyliegh Curran and Rebecca Ferguson.

Also
Jacob Tremblay did an uncomfortably believable performance of being tortured to death, and that scene was uncomfortable to watch

Carl Lumbly as Hallorann was pretty spot-on I thought, but
Alex Essoe and Henry Thomas were kind of jarring as Wendy and Jack and did pull me out of the movie a bit.
I thought that whole bar conversation kind of didn't need to be there, though ironically I also thought it might have been Ewan McGregor's best acting scene in the movie.

It was kind of cool how they basically
adapted the book ending of The Shining for the finale here, with a role switcheroo, though going back to the Overlook and throwing in cameos from the twins and such
felt like a little bit of a lazy way to end the movie.

Bummer.

‘Doctor Sleep’ To Lose $20M+, But ‘Joker’ & ‘It Chapter Two’ To Profit $600M+ For Warners Bros. – Deadline

Finance sources tell us today that Warner Bros.’ weekend Stephen King upset Doctor Sleep is poised to lose around $20M after all ancillaries, should it earn $100M at the global box office...

We already laid out to you why Doctor Sleep was in a deep coma: A late-breaking, uneventful campaign (no tee off to the horror fans at San Diego Comic-Con), its 2 1/2 hour running time, which doesn’t work for horror fans or exhibitors, the latter who are cuffed at programming the pic (one auditorium can get as little as 4 showtimes in a given day for Doctor Sleep).

Also, this 2013 novel by King doesn’t have the brand equity that It did. Not to mention, Doctor Sleep didn’t wake up the young female and Hispanic horror-going demos with its billing as a sequel to the 1980 movie The Shining. When it came to those who cited the franchise as their reason to attend, females under 25 were last in that category, 18% behind all other demos. Ditto for the 13-17 year olds (17%, yes, it’s an R-rated movie, but they’ll still go).

Not to mention Hispanics, another prime horror movie-going demo, trailed Caucasians, 18% to 32%, for that same reasoning. Many are also citing that Ewan McGregor’s cold turn as the young psychic Danny also softened grosses, with PostTrak showing that he was not the top reason why people went to see the movie; top influences being genre (40%), subject matter (39%) and the King canon (26%). McGregor was a distant reason at 16%.

All of this said, film industry social media analytics corp RelishMix cited a huge reason why Doctor Sleep didn’t work: “For those who have seen the movie, and who share frustrations with Kubrick’s Shining, Sleep similarly departs from the novel in ways they would not have preferred.” Boom, mic drop.

I don't think it should've relied on being sold as a sequel to "The Shining" (released a long time ago), as a Ewan McGregor vehicle, or even a Stephen King novel. It should've been marketed as its own thing, its own story. From the marketing I saw I didn't really get a sense of the story that I ended up seeing. Maybe it should've focused on the more human story of Dan and his struggles and the danger involving the children. But, who knows, maybe they just overestimated the appeal of this, thinking a sequel to a Kubrick movie and based on a Stephen King book would sell itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"