Doctor Sleep

A film about Hollaran and the Shine doesnt need a big budget nor does it need a theatrical release. WB should get a sequel together with Mike Flanagan, Netflix, and a $10 million - $20 million budget.
That would be on HBO Max. WB, like Disney, will never be working with Netflix again. Until one of them purchase it.

So seeing this since the test screening, much more tighter and actually runs a tad longer since
the scene with rose and Abra facing off in the maze was not originally in the film and added after.

I’m also surprised they really toned down Jacob Tremblay’s
death scene, much more blood, and the torture ran longer.

First two thirds remain such a great adaptation of the book and the last 20 minutes land with a thud, which is really disappointing and frustrating. Regardless I understand Mike’s tough position and earnest attempt at remedying kings story. But it stops this from being a great film in my eyes. Still good.

I imagine WB are still willing to work with Flanagan again despite of Doctor Sleep's poor box office. I think another horror is likely but I would also like him to direct a slightly bigger budget film.

So seeing this since the test screening, much more tighter and actually runs a tad longer since
the scene with rose and Abra facing off in the maze was not originally in the film and added after.

I’m also surprised they really toned down Jacob Tremblay’s
death scene, much more blood, and the torture ran longer.

First two thirds remain such a great adaptation of the book and the last 20 minutes land with a thud, which is really disappointing and frustrating. Regardless I understand Mike’s tough position and earnest attempt at remedying kings story. But it stops this from being a great film in my eyes. Still good.

I also know they added
the other shots of the Shining ghosts when Abra sees them and the whole Abra rebuffing the woman in the bathtub (which was stupid) Originally, the only time you saw them was when Danny brought them out to kill Rose. This would have been the perfect time to only show them. That's when it felt like a theme park member berry ride.

This movie taught me that how much you can water down a film even if it's only minor changes. Had I not known about these, I probably wouldn't have noticed. It makes me think just how much this stuff is done and we don't know about it.

Knowing the original test screening, this movie would have been great if
they didnt trim the first act by quickening the pace, didn't cut down the Tremblay stuff (I heard it was a lot more disturbing originally where it was made to look like the torture had been going on for hours) cut the maze scene, cut the stupid shots of the Shining ghosts, and cut the recreation shot of Thomas as Jack with the axe. This movie would have gone from a 8/10 to a 10/10.

Last edited:

Interesting. So
that final confrontation between Rose and Abra was only added in later. I wanted more emphasis on Abra and Rose's battle, since the film built up to that and it was the major dynamic in the movie. It should've been the main focus of the final battle, not a last minute addition.

I also know they added
the other shots of the Shining ghosts when Abra sees them and the whole Abra rebuffing the woman in the bathtub (which was stupid) Originally, the only time you saw them was when Danny brought them out to kill Rose. This would have been the perfect time to only show them. That's when it felt like a theme park member berry ride.

Knowing the original test screening, this movie would have been great if
they didnt trim the first act by quickening the pace, didn't cut down the Tremblay stuff (I heard it was a lot more disturbing originally where it was made to look like the torture had been going on for hours) cut the maze scene, cut the stupid shots of the Shining ghosts, and cut the recreation shot of Thomas as Jack with the axe. This movie would have gone from a 8/10 to a 10/10.

Exactly. Didn't need to see
The Shining ghosts that much. Looked cheesy. Less is definitely more with them. Didn't need the Jack with the axe either. Something about the last act didn't feel right and so it makes sense that a lot of stuff was added later.
More focus on the psychological battle was needed, esp. between Rose and Abra and less on The Shining ghosts and Shining throwbacks. It really didn't need that much since it already had an interesting story of its own.

Last edited:
Oh jeez, Tremblay's torture scene was originally longer? It's disturbing enough as is.

Yeah it is, I’d have walked out if it was any longer. So I’m glad they cut it short.

The ending was a let down I wanted a more in the Abra and Rose battle and it could’ve still taken place in Dannys mind allowing the Shining ghost to play.

Last edited:
No Hollywood studio would greenlight this without The Shining throwbacks.

No Hollywood studio would greenlight this without The Shining throwbacks.
The throwbacks aren't the issue. For the first two acts they do them, and they really work imo. It is the last one where they seem to exist just to exist that is the issue imo. It is like they rushed all that stuff in the day before shooting. As if they wrote it overnight, and didn't have a chance to revise.

The one thing I thought really worked in the last act was:

the maze. Because they used it in a clever manner, which they laid out earlier in the film. When Rose realizes she is in the wrong brain, it really worked imo because we all know what is going on. And that ties heavily back to the original film.

Loved it, definitely not without some minor flaws. Didn't read the book itself, but I was pleasantly surprised with how much this felt organic to the original film, it was very much in the same vein as what Kubrick did, which made me wonder if SK evoked some of the emotional resonance from Kubrick's adaptation.

Anyway, this was a delightful horror movie, a tad on the long side, but I didn't mind it because I was enjoying the ride. Ewan McGregor, Kyleigh Curran, and Cliff Curtis all delivered good performance, but it was Rebecca Ferguson who hit a home run. Every moment on screen was the best parts of the movie and honestly made me want a spin off of just her and her family/crew. The only downside to this film was the long beginning, which in retrospect was actually good character building, but it took me a while to get invested. I know it goes against all storytelling conventions but I would have lead off the film with Rose the Hat and her gang and left Abra and Danny be almost sidekicks through the first act.

Even with the dragging start, this picks up about 30 minutes in and never lets up. And its an old school horror film with old school creepiness and old school buildup and tension, not a noisy jump-scare-a-thon with zero emotional resonance or stakes. He should have been long before this, but right now Flanagan is officially my favorite horror director. He knows his stuff!

8/10

LOVED it!

Thought it was fun. I disagree with the complaints about the final act. The final act culminated what was the best realization of the movie for me..

Abra and Danny were OP. Maybe as not practiced, but had so much more raw shine than anyone else in the movie, given the reactions. Even the side kick was impressed when Danny was talking through Abra, stating that he's never seen this trick. The thrill for me was as follows..

The mythology of those who shine was expanded. Rose, and her cult were being pumped up as really dangerous. Rose was being built up as OP. They were the big bad. She gets blown away by Abra's powers when discovering her, and is shocked by Danny's light and impressed by his maze. In between, Rose and her team were more or less hunted the rest of the way. They were baited into an ambush and then got slaughtered..then Rose was baited by Danny, and was ambushed by the house.

The big bad, and her minions had a villainous presence, but last hour and a half of the movie, they were basically being hunted and reverse ambushed by Abra and Danny. Watching the death of Rose was joyful, because the film made you anticipate that she was out of her league.

As soon as Rose took on the task of hunting down Abra, the roles reversed Danny and Abra were the predators and Rose was really the sitting duck prey

This was fun, and I found this aspect of it WAY more appreciatable when you realize that this film's entire theme and story is about Danny conquering his demons and overcoming psychological trauma.

Abra, Rose, and that whole story was merely the plot device that symbolically served as Danny's "therapy" for his PTSD fueled alcoholism. It made the finale way more fun when you know for an hour and a half who were the predators and who were the prey.

The short battle between Rose and Abra didn't NEED to be longer, because the movie wasn't about THEM as I said. Watch the movie again with Danny as the focal point, and the rest as symbolic interpretations of his own psychological journey. Making Abra and Rose's battle longer would have confused the film away from it's clear intent about using that as a mere plot device to follow Danny's growth. He needed to save Abra from Rose. With his own demons. He was essentially protecting and rescuing his inner child through out the movie by protecting Abra from Rose. Abra was Danny as a kid, Rose, the the hotel.. Danny is the compassionate wise adult...in protecting Abra, he is healing that wounded child in him.

I wouldn't change a damn thing about this movie. 10/10 for me. Every recommended change in this thread would take away what made this movie great imo.

This movie was about TRAUMA..first and foremost

Last edited:
Interesting. So
that final confrontation between Rose and Abra was only added in later. I wanted more emphasis on Abra and Rose's battle, since the film built up to that and it was the major dynamic in the movie. It should've been the main focus of the final battle, not a last minute addition.

Exactly. Didn't need to see
The Shining ghosts that much. Looked cheesy. Less is definitely more with them. Didn't need the Jack with the axe either. Something about the last act didn't feel right and so it makes sense that a lot of stuff was added later.
More focus on the psychological battle was needed, esp. between Rose and Abra and less on The Shining ghosts and Shining throwbacks. It really didn't need that much since it already had an interesting story of its own.

Seeing my post, I don't think this matters. This movie wasn't about rose and Abra. There is a reason the Shining Ghosts were highlighted. All that stuff was a metaphor.

The core of this movie was about Danny's recovery from his alcoholism and PTSD/psychological trauma for the events of the first movie. It was about a man's journey through mental health struggles WAY more than it was about shining, ghosts, Abra, and Rose. Surely I can't be the only one who though this was obvious?

Seeing my post, I don't think this matters. This movie wasn't about rose and Abra. There is a reason the Shining Ghosts were highlighted. All that stuff was a metaphor.

The core of this movie was about Danny's recovery from his alcoholism and PTSD/psychological trauma for the events of the first movie. It was about a man's journey through mental health struggles WAY more than it was about shining, ghosts, Abra, and Rose. Surely I can't be the only one who though this was obvious?

Dan's psychological journey was fascinating that's why it didn't need to be cheapened with all these cheesy-looking ghosts.

Abra helping Dan and vice versa could've been better handled since these are interweaving themes throughout the movie i.e. Dan wanting to help someone like him, like when he was a child, empowering her. That could've been interwoven better in the final act. The final act was jumbled, and these reports of last minute additions only confirms that for me. Like I said, the ideas were strong but it was just the execution.

Last edited:
Saw it again today. Yep, still love out!!!!

I really liked this movie, it's a shame it bombed. I guess The Shining isn't as popular as I thought...

I do hope this doesn't affect the career of Mike Flanagan, I love what he's been doing with horror movies (& tv shows)

I could not imagine sitting through more of Tremblay's torture scene. I think that's the hardest thing I've watched all year.

“Are you gonna hurt me?”
“Yes”

It’s the scene that really drives home how soulless Rose and her gang are though. Before that, they’re almost somewhat likable at times even though there’s a creepy undertone. Never again after that scene.

That scene is very hard to watch. One of the scariest things I've ever seen in a horror movie. I think it ran the perfect length. The scene itself is supposed to be incredibly uncomfortable to watch, and I think it did a great job of achieving the desired effect without becoming too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"