Does Magneto's plan make any sense this time?

XCharlieX said:
I think the x1 plan was still interesting... the plan was to make the world leaders rethink their policies while in office.

Exactly. Is everyone forgetting what he intended to do? That machine was tons more interesting than Magneto simply taking advantage of Xavier's power (though it's just as diabolical).

XCharlieX said:
I think the x1 plan was still interesting... the plan was to make the world leaders rethink their policies while in office.

Goes back to that joke from MadTV when a drunk became president, he motivated people to care about curing cancer by giving it to the leaders of the world. After that there were more than five.

So if the world leaders were mutants then everyone who rethink it just like Charlie said.

I don't think Magneto's motivations and actions via the machine in X1 were stupid or out of character, as some are suggesting (as though it's against the comic books). Magneto doesn't simply go on rampages, taking siege of things left and right. He's been shown as having more depth than that.

He has a vindictive nature--he wants people who do harm to feel the pain of those they do harm against (the whole point of his past). Thus, in X-Men he wants the humans to become mutants, so they too will be in the same boat and feel the same things that mutants are feeling. They too will become "different", and those [the world leaders] affected by the machine will know what it's like to be a minority, ostracized by the rest of humanity . . . "soon our cause will be their's."

Moreover, if there's anyone he's going to make feel this way, it will be the world leaders (those individuals in power who have the ability to do something about such ostracism via laws or whatever).

What I just realized is that Magneto needed Rogue to power the machine...and yet he can lift the entire GGB on his own?

calibud said:
What I just realized is that Magneto needed Rogue to power the machine...and yet he can lift the entire GGB on his own?

Yeah, there seems to be a discrepancy there . . . maybe the machine just needed a lot of energy . . . a lot.

I don't know.It just seems odd for a mutant with a superiority complex,to want to bring ordinary humans to his level.

BMM said:
Yeah, there seems to be a discrepancy there . . . maybe the machine just needed a lot of energy . . . a lot.

Magneto killing or crippling levels of power.

Abaddon said:
I don't know.It just seems odd for a mutant with a superiority complex,to want to bring ordinary humans to his level.

I think that Magneto was a tad less vindictive in X1. His plan then was pretty clever and it probably would have worked. But...he just gets more violent as the series progresses. More angry and spiteful towards the government's policies towards mutants.
I'm pretty happy with how we've heard Magneto meets his end in X3 though. It's suitably ironic.

Abaddon said:

I think it was more to punish them--to make them feel the suffering mutants felt . . . I guess it can be argued that way though . . . or conversely, maybe he thinks mutants are so great, that everyone should be one. I don't know.

I guess I can see both sides of the argument,but it still see's a bit odd to me.He considers mutation a gift,and then he just decides to give it to some undeserving humans just so they can feel the negative aspects of it?Ehh..:\

Abaddon said:
I guess I can see both sides of the argument,but it still see's a bit odd to me.He considers mutation a gift,and then he just decides to give it to some undeserving humans just so they can feel the negative aspects of it?Ehh..:\

It also kills after awhile and Mags may have known about that prior to using it.

The only thing that bothers me about X3's plot is. . .

SPOILERS!!!

If Magneto is powerful enough to relocate the entire Golden Gate bridge (and apparently is so callous as to want to kill Leech in the end), why not just drop the bridge on top of the complex holding Leech? Problem solved. No more source for the cure. Or why not simply fly over to the complex, get to Leech (as clearly no one can stop him), kill Leech, destroy Worthington Labs . . . again, effectively resolving the cure issue. It's not like he couldn't do it. He clearly has the power . . . and if he's worried about Leech cancelling out his power while up close, why not be really savvy about it, and just shoot Leech with the cure [or take a real gun] or have Juggernaut knock him around a bit . . . Hell, he doesn't even need to be close enough to Leech to have to worry about it.

Magneto knows he won't be around to "fight the good fight" so maybe he just wants to inspire young mutants to take up the cause and do what it takes to gain supremacy.

BMM said:
The only thing that bothers me about X3's plot is. . .

SPOILERS!!!

If Magneto is powerful enough to relocate the entire Golden Gate bridge (and apparently is so callous as to want to kill Leech in the end), why not just drop the bridge on top of the complex holding Leech? Problem solved. No more source for the cure. Or why not simply fly over to the complex, get to Leech (as clearly no one can stop him), kill Leech, destroy Worthington Labs . . . again, effectively resolving the cure issue. It's not like he couldn't do it. He clearly has the power.

Magneto's just a big drama queen.

Uh, they're on the bridge. Dropping it would be kind of dangerous. :)

The Guard said:

If he created his little protective, levitating, magnetic field like he's done so many times in the comics it wouldn't be so bad. Nice sig btw haha.

The Guard said:

He doesn't even need to take the Brotherhood. He can do it himself. Besides, he does drop it in the movie with everyone on it . . . he just drops it on top of a bunch of humans in a watch post or something.

In Magneto's defense, regarding his last minute plan in X2...he did just break out of his prison...so he had to think of something evil to do...and that was pretty frickin' evil.

josh8 said:
x1's machine was stupid.

x2's machine was stupid.

x3 is so far the most believable. it's like a revolution. i wonder if they'll make any reference to the indigenous people's occupation of alcatraz back in the day. that'd be a good motivational speech for magneto.

X1's plan wasn't stupid so much as the the screenwriters not thinking it out or them being limited due to budget restraints. It would have been better if Mags was stationed in the North Pole and the machine was to be used on a global scale. I guess the lower budget didn't allow this.

calibud said:

Well in X1 Xavier said that the device needed a tremendous amount of energy to power it, but the real is Budget my friend, budget. We all know that's the real reason. Moving the GGB is very much something Magneto can do, well in the comics, but in the movieverse if you want to go back and judge his power on what he did in X1 and X2 well I don't really see where he needed to go all out since what he had to do was confined to the storyline.

I think also...he wanted to destroy something huge and symbolic as a great accomplishment in american architecture...since he's going to alcatraz he decides to take a souvenier...obviously the filmmakers want to veer away from something like 9/11 and make Mags out to be some kind of monster...but it holds some relevance...he had no problem ruining parts of the statue of Liberty in X1...but when it really comes down to it...He's been pushed too far this time so he decided to bring the whole thing down...and show that if you get too close...only consequences will come of it...he's making a stand...like the title suggests.

MJB said:
Well in X1 Xavier said that the device needed a tremendous amount of energy to power it, but the real is Budget my friend, budget. We all know that's the real reason. Moving the GGB is very much something Magneto can do, well in the comics, but in the movieverse if you want to go back and judge his power on what he did in X1 and X2 well I don't really see where he needed to go all out since what he had to do was confined to the storyline.

Uh, no. No. It sounds like you haven't thought it out. The X-Men could get from Westchester to Liberty Island far more quickly than from Westchester to the North Pole. And there is the irony of him using America's symbol of peace and freedom (which he looks at and refers to, when talking to Rogue) as the place for his plan. And having him influence the entire world doesn't sound realistic - having him mutate the world leaders is much better for the grounded movie-verse.

You talk as though it's some random choice. It wasn't. It made perfect sense for the story. Perfect sense.

And I love that machine. Especially since it's the only time we're going to see an electromagnetic force bubble around Magneto.

For those foolishly wondering why the machine drained him, and yet he is able to suspend the X-jet or GG Bridge in the air, you don't understand. When he's raising the jet or bridge, he's creating magnetic fields or manipulating existing ones. When in the machine, it was 'drawing its power' from him - notice how the effect created is like the effect in the DNA at the start of the movie. His lifeforce, the mutant electromagnetic power of his body, was being sucked from his body by that machine whirling at huge speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"