does marvel have any other characters similar to dc's character's

GoldenAgeHero

Avenger
Reaction score
is there a marvel vesion of shazam, or dr.light. i dont need mainstream heroes, i already know who theyre similar to.

Quasar = Green Lantern
Moonknight = Batman
Dr.Midnite = DareDevil
RocketRed = Crimson Dynamo
Solomon Grundy = Hulk
Deathstroke = Early Deadpool/Task Master
Whizzer = Flash
Sentry/Hyperion = Superman
Bork = Thing

and on and on and on...

Taskmaster looks a little bit like Dr.Destiny in my opinion

Don't forget
Hawkeye = Green Arrow
Siryn/Banshee = Black Canary (although that's a bit of a stretch. Speaking of which...)
Mr. Fantastic = Plastic Man/Elongated Man
Human Torch = Fire
Quasar/Invisible Woman = Green Lantern

Jesus CHRIST, look at those DC names! Look at how god damn cheesy they are compared to the Marvel ones. I'm reminded why I avoid DC like the Plague.

'Cause a guy swinging around New York City dressed in skintight red lycra is just the height of sobriety, is that right:rolleyes:?

No one wins in the Comic Book Cheesefest; superheroes are by nature cheesy and you're fooling yourself if you think one grown man in spandex is all of a sudden less laughable than another grown man in spandex.

Hmmm I don't see how thinking names are cheesey suddenly equates to their costumes being cheesey:confused:

Ps spider-man has arguably the best costume in comics bar none, hence why it looks so good on the big screen:o

I agree, I always thought DC characters had cheesy names compared to Marvel, but DC had some of the better artists in the 70's and 80's. I also didn't care for made up cities in the DC Universe.

Oh come on, let's be honest here; Spider-Man's costume is utterly ridiculous by real world standards. Almost any superhero costumes, by and large, is going to look ridiculous if you wear it on the street. That is the rule, not the exception.
Spider-Man looks good in a comic book movie in the same way that he looks good in a comic book: in the comic book world, that's what a superhero wears. The element of fantasy and iconism comes into play. Not to mention it was a million dollar piece of costuming designed by the best and most talented of Hollywood marketting, trying their utmost to make it not look silly. Take all that away, and what do we end up with? A grown man wearing skintight bright red lycra in broad daylight.

review-1.jpg

If we're talking about names instead of fashion sense, then let's look at names. Mr. Fantastic. Dr. Doom. Marvel Girl. Multiple Man. Strong Guy. Baron Zemo. Ms. Marvel. Purple Man. Dr. Octopus. Dr. Strange. Ant-Man. Giant-Man. Absorbing Man. Heck, even Magneto. Like I said, if we play the cheese game then no one wins.

Either way it has nothing at all to do with the quality of the characters, and it's most definitely a ridiculous reason to "avoid DC like the plague." It's like Star Wars fans laughing at Star Trek technology, as if having hyperspace was all of a sudden cooler and less cheesy than having the Borg. Now that's silly.

BrianWilly said:
Oh come on, let's be honest here; Spider-Man's costume is utterly ridiculous by real world standards.

I disagree its a cool costume, especially the black one. Its just a full body suit with a pattern on it. He's not wearing PANTS on the outside of his trousers:o

Almost any superhero costumes, by and large, is going to look ridiculous if you wear it on the street. That is the rule, not the exception.

Thats because you're not a super hero , you're just some guy dressed like one. Hell wearing a Tuxedo down the shops will make you look ridiculous, doesn't mean a tuxedo is a cheesey bit of attire

Spider-Man looks good in a comic book movie in the same way that he looks good in a comic book: in the comic book world, that's what a superhero wears. The element of fantasy and iconism comes into play. Not to mention it was a million dollar piece of costuming designed by the best and most talented of Hollywood marketting, trying their utmost to make it not look silly. Take all that away, and what do we end up with? A grown man wearing skintight bright red lycra in broad daylight.

Irrelevent, the movie costume looks good, I don't care if it made of diamond dust and cost 5 billion dollars.. Its look and DESIGN is all I'm talking about

review-1.jpg

If we're talking about names instead of fashion sense, then let's look at names. Mr. Fantastic. Dr. Doom. Marvel Girl. Multiple Man. Baron Zemo. Ms. Marvel. Purple Man. Dr. Octopus. Dr. Strange. Ant-Man. Giant-Man. Absorbing Man. Heck, even Magneto. Like I said, if we play the cheese game then no one wins.

Who care who wins and loses I merely pointed out that him thinking "elongated man" is a cheesey name has NOTHING to do with his or anyone elses costume. You just brought THAT out of nowhere.

Either way it has nothing at all to do with the quality of the characters, and it's most definitely a ridiculous reason to "avoid DC like the plague." It's like Star Wars fans laughing at Star Trek technology, as if having hyperspace was all of a sudden cooler and less cheesy than having the Borg. Now that's silly.

Yes it's ridiclous reason but who the **** cares? Virtually everyone around here finds some lame reason to dis dragonball but I still enjoy it regardless.

Wow, speaking of bringing things out of nowhere...

The point isn't that he thought Elongated Man was a cheesy name, the point is that he thinks Elongated Man being a cheesy name somehow makes Marvel better than DC. Which is ridiculous, so I said so. What else are we supposed to do on a message board? Nod politely and move on?

EDIT:

You know what?

Balls to this, I'm wasting far too much time on such a pointless topic

Kotagg said:
Jesus CHRIST, look at those DC names! Look at how god damn cheesy they are compared to the Marvel ones. I'm reminded why I avoid DC like the Plague.

heh? Elongated man or whatever I'll give you but come on Whizzer isn't a crappy name, whilst the Flash is cheesey?

Kotagg said:
You've gotta be kidding me. You do realize "Captain America" sounds just as cheesy and stupid to the non reading public as does "Superman", right?

I do agree that some aspects of comics are rather cheesy. But is that a bad thing? I loves me some cheese from time to time.

No, I'd say there's inherent cheesy elements to superhero comics and other escapist fantasies. Even books like Watchman and Miracleman, despite their depth, a discerning "mature" adult would still look at them and see silly people in silly costumes

Comics, in general, are not inherently cheesy, not when you look at books like Road to Perdition, 100 Bullets, etc.

I know. That's why I said "some aspects". I wouldn't consider Road to Perdition cheesey. Hell, I wouldn't even consider some super hero comics cheesey. There are, however, some cheesey aspects to comics. But there's nothing wrong with that when they're not taken to extremes.

deemar325 said:
Quasar = Green Lantern
Moonknight = Batman
Dr.Midnite = DareDevil
RocketRed = Crimson Dynamo
Solomon Grundy = Hulk
Deathstroke = Early Deadpool/Task Master
Whizzer = Flash
Sentry/Hyperion = Superman
Bork = Thing

and on and on and on...

But which character was created first? "Copying" characters and ideas is common on DC and Marvel. DC comes up with Darkseid, Marvel counterstrikes with a much better improved Thanos. And viceversa, Marvel comes up with a character and DC improves it by far. Its only a matter of who does the character better.

I'm not sure quite how much Thanos had in common with Darkseid to begin with. Those characters may have been createdx seperately, and thier natures evolved to be more similar later

Well, they started out rather similarly, but Thanos later became his own character by becoming a nihilist obsessed with death.

The entire Shi 'ar Imperiel Guard is basically the Legion of Superheros.

Marvel also owns Prime and I'd think he'd be the closest Shazam analogue

GoldenAgeHero said:
is there a marvel vesion of shazam, or dr.light. i dont need mainstream heroes, i already know who theyre similar to.
(raised eyebrow)

Hmmmn
Screaming Mimi,... used to be the Black Canary of Marvel.
You need to draw a line,... define Mainstream and give a list,... otherwise people will name all the ones you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"