Logan Does the events of "Logan" ruin "Days of Future Past" for you?

Speaking of the X-Men timeline and its issues...it occurs to me that LOGAN may have accidentally managed to fix two of the ones people complain the most about.

Xavier saying he met Magneto when he was 17 (which FIRST CLASS contradicts) and Xavier saying Magneto helped him build Cerebro are quite possibly now not continuity errors, but just early signs of Xavier's emerging dementia.

As you already know, to me 'FIRST CLASS' belongs to a second timeline and Xavier's recollections in X1 are 100% right because that was Timeline 1.

Indeed, in X2 Magneto confirmed Charles' claims.

the magneto helping to build cerebro can easily be solved as magneto helped xavier rebuild version of cerebro offscreen before they went to CUba.

I feel too many are trying to make things way more complicated than it needs to be.

Well that is depressing haha.

Works well enough for the age inconsistancy, though not so much the Cerebro thing. In X2 it appears Magneto did help build Cerebro as it's not just Xavier's recollection of events, Stryker uses Mags' intimate knowledge of the device to build his own.

Oooh I like the early dementia explanation.

Magneto helping Xavier build Cerebro is one of the least problematic inconsistencies in the series for me. We know in the original timeline, Magneto was imprisoned after the Kennedy assassination. This took place from the 60s to 70s. The next we see Magneto chronologically is in the 80s, when he and Xavier are recruiting a young Jean Grey to the school.

At the same time, Xavier was in a depressive, drug dependent state in the early 70s, before eventually getting out of his funk to restart the school in the 80s.

It is very possible that Magneto was released from prison (maybe it was proven that he did not in fact kill Kennedy), reunited with Charles, and the two restarted the school together, and this would involve rebuilding/upgrading Cerebro. Then the two would have another falling out, leading to Magneto's departure and creation of the Brotherhood of Mutants circa the 2000s.

Bringing in multiple timelines is unnecessary.

You mean how in the original timeline Logan meets Stryker in Vietnam during the war and in DoFP Logan is in the US in 1973 when the US is withdrawing from the war?

No, I mean X2 established that he met Stryker through the military.

Last edited:
Oooh I like the early dementia explanation.

Magneto helping Xavier build Cerebro is one of the least problematic inconsistencies in the series for me. We know in the original timeline, Magneto was imprisoned after the Kennedy assassination. This took place from the 60s to 70s. The next we see Magneto chronologically is in the 80s, when he and Xavier are recruiting a young Jean Grey to the school.

At the same time, Xavier was in a depressive, drug dependent state in the early 70s, before eventually getting out of his funk to restart the school in the 80s.

It is very possible that Magneto was released from prison (maybe it was proven that he did not in fact kill Kennedy), reunited with Charles, and the two restarted the school together, and this would involve rebuilding/upgrading Cerebro. Then the two would have another falling out, leading to Magneto's departure and creation of the Brotherhood of Mutants circa the 2000s.

Bringing in multiple timelines is unnecessary.

Only problem is: Cerebro as it is in X2 was built pre-73. It is up and running in DOFP before any time travel takes hold.

Best explanation is that Erik helped build Cerebro in '62 while they were training to take down Shaw. Shame they didn't slip a quick shot into the training montage.

I just watched DoFP again after watching Logan for the third time. And it's made it even better and even more emotional. The scenes between Logan and Charles, past and present. And the ending knowing that the future is sad. It made DoFP even more of a roller coaster ride of emotions.

Only problem is: Cerebro as it is in X2 was built pre-73. It is up and running in DOFP before any time travel takes hold.

Best explanation is that Erik helped build Cerebro in '62 while they were training to take down Shaw. Shame they didn't slip a quick shot into the training montage.

It wasn't in use for a long time though. This was explicitly highlighted in the movie. Xavier only used it because of Wolverine's time travel. It could have needed upgrading/maintenance by the time Magneto came to the school in the 80s.

The FC explanation works as well. I'm just more partial to the former theory because we were shown Magneto and Xavier's time in FC and there was not really a hint that he was working on Cerebro, whereas theres a whole decade in the 80s and 90s unaccounted for that anything can happen.

technically Magneto did help rebuild Cerebro when him and Jean were fixing the school the end of Apocalypse

if the mansion was also destroyed at some point in the original timeline and Magneto helped to reconstructed the whole building from the underground tunnels up, he would have had to build Cerebro too

I know this just leads to a whole knew set of questions of what could have happened in the original timeline, what events lead to Megnetos release from being locked up? what brought him and Charles back together (even temporarily) when they recruited Jean in the 80's?... so, on

but still

I'm so conflicted about this. On one hand, having just seen "Logan", it did feel like the right type of ending for these characters...but on the other hand, it's still so freaking depressing to think that the happiness that was shown at the end of DOFP will eventually end in tragedy.

And what's more depressing to think about is that, regardless of what X-Men film they make now (that's set in the past), we all know now that it's going to end in tragedy for everyone...that most of them are going to die anyway as a result of Professor X's actions.

"Logan" really is the end of the X-Men franchise...unless Laura or some other group of mutants decide to take up the mantle after the events of "Logan".

Not if you see it as its own timeline that they didn't get the happy ending and the current stream as the one they do.

I'm so conflicted about this. On one hand, having just seen "Logan", it did feel like the right type of ending for these characters...but on the other hand, it's still so freaking depressing to think that the happiness that was shown at the end of DOFP will eventually end in tragedy.

I'm conflicted too. Pretty much.
To me, "Logan" is the cinematic counterpart of the "Old Man Logan Universe".

And what's more depressing to think about is that, regardless of what X-Men film they make now (that's set in the past), we all know now that it's going to end in tragedy for everyone...that most of them are going to die anyway as a result of Professor X's actions.

"Logan" really is the end of the X-Men franchise...unless Laura or some other group of mutants decide to take up the mantle after the events of "Logan".

That's what I am saying it's the perfect time for a reboot!

That's what I am saying it's the perfect time for a reboot!
Only is deadpool is rebooted too.otherwise he would be the stark of X-Men franchise.That is major issue i have with MCU him as the golden boy of avengers even some rooting for him against cap in cap's last solo film.

Only is deadpool is rebooted too.otherwise he would be the stark of X-Men franchise.That is major issue i have with MCU him as the golden boy of avengers even some rooting for him against cap in cap's last solo film.

They should keep Deadpool and X-Force while working on a reboot for the other X-Men that isn't Colossus. Then have cross over sometime in the future. Anyway, we only had 1 Deadpool film so far and that one have zero appearance from the ot cast and the less marketable cast.

And no, it doesn't make Deadpool as de facto lead of the X-Men but just his films And maybe X-Force. Especially if the rebooted X-Men focused on the actual X-Men and not just Erik, Raven and Peter.

They ain't rebooting anytime soon.

More films are coming either way.

very unlikely they reboot anytime soon.

but my postion is if they reboot they have to reboot deadpool too.I strongly disagree with notion fox should treat deadpool as film 1 of new contunity.

There's nothing to reboot. 'Apocalypse' is a stellar movie. And it's the birth of the X-Men in the new timeline. Perfect. Let's follow their adventures.

I wish they will reboot MCU soon. It's getting boring, clichés and predictable.

Well I don't care if they reboot Deadpool if it means we would get a proper X-Men film that isn't undermined by the book ends of Dofp and Logan.

Lmfao reboot Deadpool?

I don't know why there's so much doom and gloom in all these various threads. Oh wait it's cause one poster keeps talking about rebooting. There's nothing to reboot. And why would they? They're finally expanding into other properties like X-Force and New Mutants and have a successful show in Legion and a new show coming, and now people are talking a reboot. You're high because they aren't rebooting any time soon. Adapt to it or why bother sticking around with something if you're just gonna complain constantly.

There's nothing to reboot. 'Apocalypse' is a stellar movie. And it's the birth of the X-Men in the new timeline. Perfect. Let's follow their adventures.

I wish they will reboot MCU soon. It's getting boring, clichés and predictable.

doudtful they do that.though it will be intresting to see if any of the phase one actors will still be around after Infinity war and it's sequel in 2018/2019.

I actully slaute fox for not jumping reboot wagon which i feel studios are going way way overboard.

I feel reboot would make DOFP a waste of time.why erase original trilogy from timeline if after 2 more films your going to reboot.

when all is said and done Apocalypse will remain 4th biggest X film WW.I
know some will say apocalypse domestic box office.well if we listened to them we would never have gotten Days of future past and Logan because first class and the wolverine did less than Apocalypse did domesticly.

end of apocalypse has X-men team assemmbled so it would be crazy not to
follow through with them.

when all is said and done Apocalypse will remain 4th biggest X film WW.I
know some will say apocalypse domestic box office.well if we listened to them we would never have gotten Days of future past and Logan because first class and the wolverine did less than Apocalypse did domesticly.

end of apocalypse has X-men team assemmbled so it would be crazy not to
follow through with them.

Spot on on all points. Kudos.

As you already know, to me 'FIRST CLASS' belongs to a second timeline and Xavier's recollections in X1 are 100% right because that was Timeline 1.

Indeed, in X2 Magneto confirmed Charles' claims.

Did he? Magneto knew about Cerebro,but did he say he helped build it?

And even he'd said that...early dementia.

The system works.

The system works.
Storm: [coldly] Wait a minute. How would Stryker even know where to find Cerebro in the first place?
Magneto: [ashamed] Because I told him. I helped Charles build it, remember? Mr. Stryker has powerful methods of persuasion, even against a mutant as strong as Charles.

The system works.

From X2:

Storm: Wait a minute, how does Stryker even know where to find Cerebro in the first place?

Magneto: Because I told him. I helped Charles build it, remember?

Magneto doesn't have dementia as far as we know, of course that could change in the next movie. XD

And what's with all this talk about a reboot? Fox is never going to want to reboot, not even the main X-Men films, considering that in the main team lineup itself they have the immensely popular Quicksilver, a Game of Thrones actress, up and coming young actors in Tye and Kodi, and commitments from James McAvoy and Nicholas Hoult, both of whom would love to return.

Plus, their approach to continuity is so loose anyway they can just ignore the previous movie or at least not reference it while keeping the same actors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"