• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Don't Dumb it Down Dangit

hunter rider said:
Giant Robots,Giant Lizards and Giant Gorillas all need suspension of belief certainly,but with what pertains to basically a giant man i think the audience would laugh
So....the audience can handle a guy made of rock, one that stretches like silly putty, one that flies while on fire, and a woman that can turn invisible and put force fields arounds things.......but a giant alien is unbelievable?:)

I don't see people having trouble with Big G if they can believe 4 non-astronauts can fly up to a gravity-filled space-...nevermind.

hunter rider said:
I gotta back this,im sorry but i just don't see this.....

working onsreen for a general audience

why not ?? that'd be tight if they got the CGI right

C. Lee said:
So....the audience can handle a guy made of rock, one that stretches like silly putty, one that flies while on fire, and a woman that can turn invisible and put force fields arounds things.......but a giant alien is unbelievable?:)

Absolutely. :up: I hate the idea of Fox dumbing down Galactus. Can't they just stick to original source material? :confused:

They dumbed down Dr Doom (nice bit of alliteration there :D) for general audiences, only to have a film that wasn't particularly well received by these general audiences anyway. Plus, it p**sed off the fans in the process.

As the only person in this thread who has actually argued in FAVOUR of Ultimate Gah Lak Tus, I feel compelled to defend my point of view. Firstly let me say this; I would LOVE it if we got Galactus, and I'd LOVE it if he was done well... but I don't think he can be in these circumstances.

I DON'T think they should pick Gah Lak Tus just for the UFF readers
I DON'T agree with what they did with Doom in FF 1
BUT I can understand why they did what they did to Doom
And I can understand why they might want to choose Gah Lak Tus

So here are my arguments on why Gah Lak Tus can work better IN A MOVIE:

1. Spectacle. Let's be totally honest wirh ourselves here- I like Galactus as much as the next guy but what is going to make audiences say 'wow'- seeing an enormous guy in WHATEVER costume... no matter how big... or seeing this colossal armada of creatures through space... being told it is one hundred thousand miles long.... let's face it, for the general audience it's definitely more of a 'wow' factor

2. Tension and Impact. Again, I'm going to use a comparison- through FF2 and yes, into FF3 if necessary, there has to be tension about Galactus' arrival. The audience needs to feel it. Now let's face it, again, putting our own comics knowledge aside, what is going to build tension more- this mass hurtling through space or the aforementioned giant guy? But wait- tension is dependant on what they can DO. One of the (few) parts of the Ultimate Extinction series done well was showing what Gah Lak Tus has done to other planets- when Reed showed that hologram of people going insane with fear, of the virus destroying people... it worked brilliantly.

This, as opposed to a hologram of an enormous guy amidst boiling lava destroying a world.. the latter can work, but the former can work better for a movie audience. The audience really needs to feel that Galactus is a colossal threat. Another idea which would be great but very unlikely because of the light-hearted movie tone is to take from the Ultimate Galactus series the idea of every television channel on earth being taken over and just broadcasting the same message of no escape, etc. Plus it is far more 'realistic' in movie terms to have this threat suck a planet's life force rather than blow it up

3. How to Defeat It- What defeats Galactus? The Ultimate Nullifier? Well, let's face it... I don't see how they can REALLY 'defeat' Galactus without killing him. In the time afforded to the movie, I just don't think it is plausible to explain that Galactus is necessary for the universe, despite the fact that he DESTROYS PLANETS, etc, etc. It doesn't work so well. The Ultimate Extinction way- destroy 20% of it's mass so that it is so badly hurt it seeks easier prey elsewhere etc, works- and then you can tie that in with the Surfer departing to tell other worlds the secret so that they will all be safe from Galactus/Gah Lak Tus. Leave the 'superhero fight' for Doctor Doom.

Well those are my three big arguments for why, IN THE MOVIE, Gah Lak Tus might be a more plausible idea. I feel I should make clear; I THINK they will use a more original-style Galactus, I believe Galactus has the potential to be far better if done correctly, but I am just arguing to the contrary because Gah Lak Tus can work. Plus I like being the underdog in an argument ;) My only real problem with using Gah Lak Tus is that since FF is more 'family friendly' they won't be able to build up Gah Lak Tus as enough of a threat.

Oh yeah, and one last thing; as I said before, Gah Lak Tus IS the easy way out. But the easy way out is sometimes preferable to trying to bring Galactus to the bigscreen and ruining him completely. With people being so unsatisfied with FF1, I don't think I would trust Story and Co to be able to bring Galactus to life properly!

PS: I do in fact like FF1, it was not as bad as everyone said so they did destroy Doom, and I have no problem with Story and Co- I don't think I'd trust ANYONE to bring Galactus to life properly!

C. Lee said:

*sighs*....same argument different verse...ok we have come to the point in this debate where we are simply repeating over and over again the same arguments......

We have fallen into the black hole of debate.

Doctor of Doom said:
As the only person in this thread who has actually argued in FAVOUR of Ultimate Gah Lak Tus, I feel compelled to defend my point of view. Firstly let me say this; I would LOVE it if we got Galactus, and I'd LOVE it if he was done well... but I don't think he can be in these circumstances.

1. Spectacle. Let's be totally honest wirh ourselves here- I like Galactus as much as the next guy but what is going to make audiences say 'wow'- seeing an enormous guy in WHATEVER costume... no matter how big... or seeing this colossal armada of creatures through space... being told it is one hundred thousand miles long.... let's face it, for the general audience it's definitely more of a 'wow' factor

2. Tension and Impact. Again, I'm going to use a comparison- through FF2 and yes, into FF3 if necessary, there has to be tension about Galactus' arrival. The audience needs to feel it. Now let's face it, again, putting our own comics knowledge aside, what is going to build tension more- this mass hurtling through space or the aforementioned giant guy? But wait- tension is dependant on what they can DO. One of the (few) parts of the Ultimate Extinction series done well was showing what Gah Lak Tus has done to other planets- when Reed showed that hologram of people going insane with fear, of the virus destroying people... it worked brilliantly.

This, as opposed to a hologram of an enormous guy amidst boiling lava destroying a world.. the latter can work, but the former can work better for a movie audience. The audience really needs to feel that Galactus is a colossal threat. Another idea which would be great but very unlikely because of the light-hearted movie tone is to take from the Ultimate Galactus series the idea of every television channel on earth being taken over and just broadcasting the same message of no escape, etc. Plus it is far more 'realistic' in movie terms to have this threat suck a planet's life force rather than blow it up

3. How to Defeat It- What defeats Galactus? The Ultimate Nullifier? Well, let's face it... I don't see how they can REALLY 'defeat' Galactus without killing him. In the time afforded to the movie, I just don't think it is plausible to explain that Galactus is necessary for the universe, despite the fact that he DESTROYS PLANETS, etc, etc. It doesn't work so well. The Ultimate Extinction way- destroy 20% of it's mass so that it is so badly hurt it seeks easier prey elsewhere etc, works- and then you can tie that in with the Surfer departing to tell other worlds the secret so that they will all be safe from Galactus/Gah Lak Tus. Leave the 'superhero fight' for Doctor Doom.

Well those are my three big arguments for why, IN THE MOVIE, Gah Lak Tus might be a more plausible idea. I feel I should make clear; I THINK they will use a more original-style Galactus, I believe Galactus has the potential to be far better if done correctly, but I am just arguing to the contrary because Gah Lak Tus can work. Plus I like being the underdog in an argument ;) My only real problem with using Gah Lak Tus is that since FF is more 'family friendly' they won't be able to build up Gah Lak Tus as enough of a threat.

Oh yeah, and one last thing; as I said before, Gah Lak Tus IS the easy way out. But the easy way out is sometimes preferable to trying to bring Galactus to the bigscreen and ruining him completely. With people being so unsatisfied with FF1, I don't think I would trust Story and Co to be able to bring Galactus to life properly!

PS: I do in fact like FF1, it was not as bad as everyone said so they did destroy Doom, and I have no problem with Story and Co- I don't think I'd trust ANYONE to bring Galactus to life properly!

I think my fears come from this more than anything else....if the original could be done right and I believed that Fox could do it, I might be more compelled to go that way. I don't think they can...

DOG LIPS said:
I don't see people having trouble with Big G if they can believe 4 non-astronauts can fly up to a gravity-filled space-...nevermind.

Doctor of Doom, you make some good points. And yes, even I would rather see the UFF version done right than the original version done terribly wrong.

So maybe what they have in mind is a synthesis? As long as there is a single being named Galactus at the heart of the threat, they can keep the armada of ships concept and some of the other UFF touches. Broadcasting "Prepare for the end" on all channels around the Earth, I do like that. It reminds me of the Borg's "resistance is futile," but in a good way.

As for repelling Galactus, I'll suggest it again: The Big G is swatted away by Frankilin, still in his mother's womb.

Maybe.....just maybe.....I actually don't believe this but maybe......

If in this movie all we get is a huge shadow in the silhouette of Galactus that shows his actual size, without showing him fully. JUST A SILHOUETTE of him....then maybe just maybe with that....(NO PURPLE AND PINK STUFF SORRY BAD, BAD, BAD) maybe, possibly the use of him in the 3rd movie would not be a OMG big purple dude.....but damn that thing really is that big.......MAYBE that would work.......but I'm very skeptical. Him looking like this in the third after a slight introduction of him in the 2nd.....

galac58yv.jpg

*he has to be set up as a true, scary as hell menace, world ending huge terror thread from beyond... in the 2nd.
*the silhouette has to show his full size, the audience should know that what is coming is huge.
*no pink and purple/no primary bright colors at all.
*possibly even huge, huge, huge explosion coming from this silhouette of this huge being.....and SS realizing that the one he said would come ..... "is here"....get that feeling across to the audience and end it there.

MAYBE, just maybe the audience wouldn't fall out of their seats in laughter....

maybe.....:O

Doctor of Doom said:

Gah Lak Tus is the easy way out, but I disagree with his use. You don't get Surfer/Galactus interaction nearly as good with the ultimate version. I would agree with giving Galactus a horde maybe, but I want him to be a single powerful being. Since he devours planets, he must be big. He has to look like he devours planets. As for how he is defeated, have the Silver Surfer be instrumental in his defeat, and I like the idea someone had of Franklin helping in his defeat. I don't want Galactus to die, either. I would like him to be alive for future Surfer movies.

JMAfan said:
Maybe.....just maybe.....I actually don't believe this but maybe......

If in this movie all we get is a huge shadow in the silhouette of Galactus that shows his actual size, without showing him fully. JUST A SILHOUETTE of him....then maybe just maybe with that....(NO PURPLE AND PINK STUFF SORRY BAD, BAD, BAD) maybe, possibly the use of him in the 3rd movie would not be a OMG big purple dude.....but damn that thing really is that big.......MAYBE that would work.......but I'm very skeptical. Him looking like this in the third after a slight introduction of him in the 2nd.....

galac58yv.jpg

*he has to be set up as a true, scary as hell menace, world ending huge terror thread from beyond... in the 2nd.
*the silhouette has to show his full size, the audience should know that what is coming is huge.
*no pink and purple/no primary bright colors at all.
*possibly even huge, huge, huge explosion coming from this silhouette of this huge being.....and SS realizing that the one he said would come ..... "is here"....get that feeling across to the audience and end it there.

MAYBE, just maybe the audience wouldn't fall out of their seats in laughter....

maybe.....:O

I agree with you that they should change the purple costume. If anything, that is what I think people will say is goofy, not his size.

Spider-Fan930 said:
I agree with you that they should change the purple costume. If anything, that is what I think people will say is goofy, not his size.

Don't get me wrong.....I still think the size is a problem as well.......but if he can be INTRODUCED properly....maybe....just maybe.....this can help in the size area as well. The audience will remember what was introduced in the 2nd movie....and will be ready for that size in the 3rd.....much like the King Kong and Godzilla.....people knew already that these creatures were over the top big....it wasn't a surprise......thats what they looked for......

If you introduce him as the huge being, and then he's too small in the 3rd you have the opposite effect......the audience might say...."what the hell, I thought this guy was supposed to be huge".....so introduce the silhouette as huge....prepare the audience.....and then very first scene in the 3rd movie.......the destruction begins.....

maybe....

but I go back to one of my earlier posts......I do not have confidence in Fox to do it properly...

JMAfan said:
Don't get me wrong.....I still think the size is a problem as well.......but if he can be INTRODUCED properly....maybe....just maybe.....this can help in the size area as well. The audience will remember what was introduced in the 2nd movie....and will be ready for that size in the 3rd.....much like the King Kong and Godzilla.....people knew already that these creatures were over the top big....it wasn't a surprise......thats what they looked for......

If you introduce him as the huge being, and then he's too small in the 3rd you have the opposite effect......the audience might say...."what the hell, I thought this guy was supposed to be huge".....so introduce the silhouette as huge....prepare the audience.....and then very first scene in the 3rd movie.......the destruction begins.....

maybe....

but I go back to one of my earlier posts......I do not have confidence in Fox to do it properly...

Cliffhanger is definately the way to go with Galactus. I do it kind of like what was done at the end of POTC2.

I am hoping Fox does the right thing here.

Spider-Fan930 said:
Cliffhanger is definately the way to go with Galactus. I do it kind of like what was done at the end of POTC2.

I am hoping Fox does the right thing here.

In regards to POTC2, I don't want a 2.5 hour cliffhanger to the 3rd....:o

THE FOUR SHOULD BE THE FOCUS, ALONG WITH FAMILY...imo

If Fox can't do Galactus correctly in the original.....then the original is not the way for Fox to go.....IMHO

JMAfan said:
In regards to POTC2, I don't want a 2.5 hour cliffhanger to the 3rd....:o

THE FOUR SHOULD BE THE FOCUS, ALONG WITH FAMILY...imo

Wasn't talking about the whole movie, was referring to POTC2's ending. Not the whole film.

Spider-Fan930 said:
Wasn't talking about the whole movie, was referring to POTC2's ending. Not the whole film.

IMO, the entire 2.5 hours of POTC2 was the lead up to the 3rd. Thats what I meant....I don't want that.....

C. Lee said:

Spider-Fan930 said:
Again, why? No one has given me any reason other than it just won't work. If they can believe it for monkeys, lizards, and robots, why not for an alien? I don't see the logic, I am sorry.

See here's the thing,you both keep saying Alien but what the audience will see for all intents and purposes is a giant man and to put it bluntly i think they will laugh at it

hunter rider said:
See here's the thing,you both keep saying Alien but what the audience will see for all intents and purposes is a giant man and to put it bluntly i think they will laugh at it

He is a humanoid, not a human. Like I said, change up the look a bit, audiences will eat it up like candy. If he looks cool, no one will laugh, even though I don't think they'd laugh at him for being big anyway, but I guess I just have more faith in people.

Spider-Fan930 said:
He is a humanoid, not a human. Like I said, change up the look a bit, audiences will eat it up like candy. If he looks cool, no one will laugh, even though I don't think they'd laugh at him for being big anyway, but I guess I just have more faith in people.

And possibly throw up when they've had to much....candy can do that to you....;) If not done correctly....and the line is very narrow for them to get this right in my opinion....that candy you speak of can turn to a turd quickly.....and Fox has proven this too us time and time again....

oh please...:rolleyes:

Hunter's opinion has nothing to do with his faith in people...

It's Hunter's faith in Fox that is the problem....and mine as well.

JMAfan said:
And possibly throw up when they've had to much....candy can do that to you....;) If not done correctly....and the line is very narrow for them to get this right in my opinion....that candy you speak of can turn to a turd quickly.....and Fox has proven this too us time and time again....

oh please...:rolleyes:

Hunter's opinion has nothing to do with his faith in people...

It's Hunter's faith in Fox that is the problem....and mine as well.

That comment wasn't meant to be insulting, so don't take it that way.

Spider-Fan930 said:

This is how im looking at this,not from my eyes but from the perspective of the regular audience who know nothing of the mythos or the comic terminology....what they will see will still look like a giant man in a suit which harks back to B movies,now if someone like Cameron or Spielberg were doing this then maybe......just maybe they with full freedom could pull it off but a film at Fox..do you really think they can escape unintentional laughter and make him a threat ?

hunter rider said:
This is how im looking at this,not from my eyes but from the perspective of the regular audience who know nothing of the mythos or the comic terminology....what they will see will still look like a giant man in a suit which harks back to B movies,now if someone like Cameron or Spielberg were doing this then maybe......just maybe they with full freedom could pull it off but a film at Fox..do you really think they can escape unintentional laughter and make him a threat ?

I don't see why not. People once looked at Star Wars and laughed, but who is laughing now? My point is, audience's have bought some outlandish stuff, so why should this be any different? Sure, Fox will end up screwing this up, but that is because they try to fix what isn't broken at the cheapest cost. Hell, that is why they have Tim Story doing these movies, and not someone better. Like I said, they would buy the giant man if he looked cool. Weirder things have been done on film.

Spider-Fan930 said:
I don't see why not. People once looked at Star Wars and laughed, but who is laughing now? My point is, audience's have bought some outlandish stuff, so why should this be any different? Sure, Fox will end up screwing this up, but that is because they try to fix what isn't broken at the cheapest cost. Hell, that is why they have Tim Story doing these movies, and not someone better. Like I said, they would buy the giant man if he looked cool. Weirder things have been done on film.

I guess that is where we just disagree,and i never said buy it i said not laugh at it and think it looks comical rather than scary

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"