Doug Jones Interview..Speaks on "Norrin's Nads" and Galactus

He-Man

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=interviews&id=8772

INTERVIEW: DOUG JONES
By Russ Fischer

We have to talk about the Fantastic Four…are you aware of the iconic nature of the Silver Surfer?

I'm aware of it now. When first approached, I was not. I'm not a comic book reader, so when these roles come to me I have to do some research. What's the hoopla?...is there hoopla? I went to a comic book store in Burbank and talked to the pale faced kid behind the counter, and he ran through the store grabbing comics, action figures, all of it. I went home with the Essentials volume with the first 18 issues of the Silver Surfer's book, and also the Fantastic Four Essentials where he was introduced initially. I wanted to look at the original, see how he was born. And I fell in love with him, and I can see why he's iconic. He's a true gentleman, he has valor. He's very Christ-like, very angelic.

And you're providing the voice?

So far, so good. Again, big studio. Layers of decision makers. They really want him to fly so there can be more films later. I went into this knowing they had the right to replace my voice if they so choose. They're really happy with the sound they've got, but then do they want to synthesize that as well? I don't know. I'm ever hopeful that they'll keep my voice in some form, even if they enhance it later. And when I saw playback and saw the look and the sound of him together, what I gave them really worked for me, so I hope it does for them as well.

What was your costume comprised of?

It's a combo platter. To my understanding, that is. I don't want to speak for anyone else, because I'm not qualified to. As I understand it, it's the best of all worlds. First: state of the art practical effects. I wore a makeup and costume on set. Beautifully constructed by Spectral Motion, the same people who brought you Abe Sapien. The other part would be WETA doing the CG enhancements. Together, this makes the Silver Surfer, as I understand it. The trailer is a combo as I described, and some shots are completely CG.

Speaking of the trailer, have you heard the controversy surrounding the Surfer's 'endowments'?

Someone sent me a link to a freeze frame, and I don't remember doing that. The costume was…enclosed. And all my business was tucked in. And I can't tell you…if my naughty bits are discussed one more time in a conference room!. It was all about, make it smaller, can we tuck it in, can we bind everything up and smash it down more? So I think it was someone having fun somewhere, because I'm not really sure where the free-hanging boys came from.

Have you seen Galactus…is there a Galactus?

I have not. Again, so many decisions are being made every day, we went into it with a lot of things not decided. My official answer, that no one has told me I can't say is: it's difficult to introduce the Silver Surfer on film without Galactus having some sort of presence, now, isn't it? There, that's my answer.

The interview is also about PAN'S LABYRINTH...click the link to read that part.

Jesus...things are getting really complicated around here!

I went home with the Essentials volume with the first 18 issues of the Silver Surfer's book, and also the Fantastic Four Essentials where he was introduced initially. I wanted to look at the original, see how he was born.

Excellent, very encouraging to hear an actor taking his material seriously. I don't think it would've been too much to ask for the LEAD in these movies to have done the same (yes, I'm talking to you, Ioan "Galactus does have a form, doesn't he, in the comic books?" Gruffudd).

Excellent, very encouraging to hear an actor taking his material seriously. I don't think it would've been too much to ask for the LEAD in these movies to have done the same (yes, I'm talking to you, Ioan "Galactus does have a form, doesn't he, in the comic books?" Gruffudd).

He really said that?? Jeez.
Now I'm not going to go see Amazing Grace.
(Imagines Ioan quote: "I'm guessing these slaves were shackled, if I'm correct.")

It was all about, make it smaller, can we tuck it in, can we bind everything up and smash it down more?

That sounds rather painful...:(

Excellent, very encouraging to hear an actor taking his material seriously.

Doug took every one of his movements for the Surfer straight from the comic books and worked for months getting the flow of movement from one pose to another, and for it to look smooth and as natural as he can - he's tried hard to get the Surfer as close as he can to the comic creation.

I remember a discussion we had when he was offered the role and he bought the Essential Silver Surfer ... Doug was (and still is) completely hooked by the way the Surfer speaks, and read reams of dialogue to me from the comics. His voice instinctually dropped lower, became measured and very, very noble ... perfect for the Surfer. And that was even before he had begun working on the character.

HM

Well, as far as his vocal talent is concerned, let's just hope his hard work was not invested for nought Hellmistress.

They are going to use his voice....I would bet money on it....

It was all about, make it smaller, can we tuck it in, can we bind everything up and smash it down more?
:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

You know, I'm not even a man and I'm cringing[FONT=&quot][/FONT]. OUCH!

>^^<

He really said that?? Jeez.
Now I'm not going to go see Amazing Grace.
(Imagines Ioan quote: "I'm guessing these slaves were shackled, if I'm correct.")

hahahahahahahahah

Very droll sir, very droll.

:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

You know, I'm not even a man and I'm cringing. OUCH!

>^^<

Isn't it amazing. They worry sooooooooooooo much about the actors having to much meat packed in the sack, but ta ta's hanging out all over is fine. Do they say to Jessica, lets see if we can get them smaller, tuck them in, squash them down ? I don't think so. :ninja:

Isn't it amazing. They worry sooooooooooooo much about the actors having to much meat packed in the sack, but ta ta's hanging out all over is fine. Do they say to Jessica, lets see if we can get them smaller, tuck them in, squash them down ? I don't think so. :ninja:
Just shows who's running the studios.

>^^<

He's going to upstage everyone onscreen!
This will feel more like a Silver Surfer movie featuring the FF then the other way around, and I couldn't be happier :D!

Well, in Fox's defense, the Surfer has always been drawn as a character with neither clothes nor genitalia, so bringing him to the big screen presents a unique problem. On the other hand, while Sue Storm-Richards has been drawn with varying breast sizes over the years, she's certainly always had boobs, at least!
:oldrazz:

Q: So, you aren&#8217;t kidding, you actually got the mandate from them to stop&#8230;.

Ioan: Yes. What was happening is my mind was on this [Amazing Grace] and somebody asked me about it [Fantastic Four 2] and I go, &#8216;Oh yes. Blah, blah, blah&#8217; and then thought &#8216;*****, I shouldn&#8217;t have said that. That&#8217;s spoiling the whole movie and then nobody needs to come and see it&#8217;.

Q: Was there one straw that broke their back?

Ioan: What I&#8217;m saying is there is a presence of Galactus. That&#8217;s all I&#8217;m allowed to say.

Q: That would have gotten out there with or without you.

Ioan: I know, I know. Like they told me &#8216;don&#8217;t talk about Doug Jones as the Silver Surfer&#8217;. I&#8217;m like &#8216;but, he&#8217;s credited as The Silver Surfer&#8217;.

Q: He told us about it.

Ioan: I know. I think it&#8217;s to the detriment of the movie. They should be celebrating Doug Jones as the Silver Surfer. He&#8217;s brought this great character to life.

Q: What was it like working with someone who is so talented?

Ioan: Exactly. I thought he was under-appreciated because they say &#8216;don&#8217;t mention Doug&#8217;. No, no, Doug has brought this character to life and they&#8217;re just manipulating what he did on set; putting that sheen on him. I thought it was wonderful, so majestic. When you meet him, he&#8217;s like a beanstalk of a guy, isn&#8217;t he? But, his movement is fantastic, breathtaking. When I saw &#8216;Pan&#8217;s Labyrinth&#8217; I was like &#8216;that&#8217;s you?&#8217; It&#8217;s beautiful. I just want him to have his credit where credit&#8217;s due.
You can adopt him, HM, but I'm taking him home and hiding him in my closet.:D

>^^<

Well Pan has just won its first oscar of the evening.....let's hope there are many to come......

ART DIRECTION

#2 Achievement In Make Up

#3 Cinematography....

I'm going to bed....check back here www.imdb.com for all the winners...

It didn't get original screenplay, original score or foreign film. *hiss*

>^^<

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"