AICN Interview w/ Ioan Gruffudd ("Galactus: A No-Show?")

The Corman film is wooden and amateurish. Rebecca Staab was good as Sue (at least as good as Alba) as was the guy playing Johnny, but everyone else was just awful.
Morphing the Mole Man into "The Jeweler", again awful.
Dr. Doom's muffled dialogue and terrycloth hood and cape, awful.
Doom's cartoonishly effeminate henchman/doctor giving Reed his syringe and saying "Here; (pout) draw your own blood." - Awful.
And I won't go into the terrible costuming and FX, since those can be (presumably) be blamed on the $42 budget.
But I'll never forget reading the article in Film Threat back in '92 about the production, and the picture of the grinning wardrobe guy holding up those embarrassing FF suits - Sue's "4" was actually tucked under her belt!
Awful, awful, awful.

Dude- all of the above you mentioned was due to budget constraints. EVERY ONE. My question was ASIDE from the budget.

Why do you think Doom's suit was so cheap? Why do you think the Moleman became The Jeweler? Do you think someone said The Jeweler would be a superior villain? Do you think someone said Doom's costume looks like it should be nylon and terry cloth? Do you think someone said the FF's suits should look homemade? That they shouldn't re-record and amplify Doom's voice? ALL DUE TO BUDGET LIMITATIONS.

And you even give more credit than I did with kudos to Jay North, who I thought was only passable casting for Johnny.

And again, I say Joseph Culp looked far better- more handsome and menacing than McMahon.

Fox's first FF film has many, many flaws, but it's nowhere near the not-even-laughable cheese-fest of the Corman film.
Flaws and all, FF1 is a real movie, one that millions watched and enjoyed, even if it wasn't the LOTR calibre blockbuster we'd all hoped it would be.
But I've met very few fans who could even sit all the way through Corman's film. Including me. I had to watch it in painful sections.

Fox's FF1 is at least watchable.
Corman's FF wouldn't even make decent fodder for Mystery Science Theater 3000.

In my opinion.:cwink:

You continue to miss my point. But honestly, it's all trivia, so in the end it doesn't really matter.

Haha - Turns out somebody out there actually did their own MST3K-style treatment of Corman's FF -a particularly painful 4 minutes from the legendary crapfest.
Ignore the amateur quips, and you can still breathe in the putrid stench that was Corman's FF:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSwHaDT7PQY

A very adult Reed being swooned over by a 13-year old Susan...Yecch!
And then there's Susan's pathetic "He's dreamy." :whatever:
Awful, awful, awful.

LMAO.......oh god, the memories.....

Dude- all of the above you mentioned was due to budget constraints. EVERY ONE. My question was ASIDE from the budget.

Why do you think Doom's suit was so cheap? Why do you think the Moleman became The Jeweler? Do you think someone said The Jeweler would be a superior villain? Do you think someone said Doom's costume looks like it should be nylon and terry cloth? Do you think someone said the FF's suits should look homemade? That they shouldn't re-record and amplify Doom's voice? ALL DUE TO BUDGET LIMITATIONS.

And you even give more credit than I did with kudos to Jay North, who I thought was only passable casting for Johnny.

And again, I say Joseph Culp looked far better- more handsome and menacing than McMahon.

Jay Underwood played Johnny. Jay North played Dennis the Menace. :yay:

NO, I do not think all those horrible problems were due to budget constraints. Budget limitations forced them to go with friggin' terrycloth for Doom? Come on. Fabric ain't that costly!:yay:
And the FF suits were passable as far as the fabric, but horrible otherwise. Someone could have said "Raise the 4" on Sue's suit or "make the 4 symbols smaller."

The Corman FF is a bik stinkeroo for many reasons, and budget only covers some of 'em.

By the way, I agree. Culp was a far superior Doom!

She was never with Doom, it was never shown in the movie, and Sue herself said that she was never with Doom. The only one in my group that even mentioned the word triangle in the discussion was me, and no one else even thought of that....I knew it because it was discussed here and in some articles...That was not a love triangle in any sense of the term.

Well, i haven't had the misfortune of sitting through that cheezfest since the theatrical release and I'm happy to say my memory of it is fading. But i recall while watching the film that there was some hint of a relationship between Sue and Doom. Maybe not enough for marriage, but something.

And, even though I'm not happy with this either, it looks like the jealousy is from Reed's point of view (according to Ioan), and we probably will not see ANYTHING from Sue other than she spends time with the SS and Reed reads more into it than is really there....

Ioan doesn't say that. He says Sue finds the Surfer "mysterious and appealing, much to Reed's chagrin". Not that Reed only thinks this. Even Jessica has alluded that there's some type of triangle.

I have to say, though, that I still have great affection for the Corman FF's trailer. (link below) The emphasis on family is nice; the four hands joining together in the first few seconds (We NEVER got that in the Fox FF) and the hugs as Ben returns... I always dug the music, too. Wonder what it was originally from?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_X5C6e3ZeY

Jay Underwood played Johnny. Jay North played Dennis the Menace. :yay:

NO, I do not think all those horrible problems were due to budget constraints. Budget limitations forced them to go with friggin' terrycloth for Doom? Come on. Fabric ain't that costly!:yay:
And the FF suits were passable as far as the fabric, but horrible otherwise. Someone could have said "Raise the 4" on Sue's suit or "make the 4 symbols smaller."

The Corman FF is a bik stinkeroo for many reasons, and budget only covers some of 'em.

By the way, I agree. Culp was a far superior Doom!

Well, suiting Doom up in in the type of fabrics needed, for example leather and suede is costly to work with. And clearly judging by the shoddy construction of the FF suits, the costumes weren't made by a fine tailor. I've heard the Corman was simply so worried over every penny that he chose the cheapest way to go in all aspects. Again- if he had Tim's budget, he probably would have loosened his belt and went for better setpieces.

But- at least they were trying to be closer to the source material. Their only major leaps were again due to budget- such as making the Moleman the Jeweler.

Well, i haven't had the misfortune of sitting through that cheezfest since the theatrical release and I'm happy to say my memory of it is fading. But i recall while watching the film that there was some hint of a relationship between Sue and Doom. Maybe not enough for marriage, but something.

Ioan doesn't say that. He says Sue finds the Surfer "mysterious and appealing, much to Reed's chagrin". Not that Reed only thinks this. Even Jessica has alluded that there's some type of triangle.

*sighs*....yes

But does this make Sue even the least big "****ty"???? please....:cwink:

*sighs*....yes

But does this make Sue even the least big "****ty"???? please....:cwink:

Well, you know that words often take on meanings apart from their original one. For example- a woman doesn't actually have to sleep with numerous men to be ****ty. What this new triangle hints at is that Sue trifles with men's feelings. That rather than making it clear to her fiancee or husband that he's the man in her life, she's being flirtatious with the Surfer.

But it's also sad that the crew of the film only sees her value as in how much sexual tension she can provoke in these films, rather than her strength and formidability as a member of the team. Or maybe not ;)

Malus,

You thought Corman's "Human Torch" actor was good?

Ugh. I found him severely irritating. :o

Well, you know that words often take on meanings apart from their original one. For example- a woman doesn't actually have to sleep with numerous men to be ****ty. What this new triangle hints at is that Sue trifles with men's feelings. That rather than making it clear to her fiancee or husband that he's the man in her life, she's being flirtatious with the Surfer.

But it's also sad that the crew of the film only sees her value as in how much sexual tension she can provoke in these films, rather than her strength and formidability as a member of the team. Or maybe not ;)

In fairness to the film-makers (and I'm not inclined to give them an inch what with this no show Galactus deal...still p#ssed over that...) Sue was somewhat flirtatious in the books in the earlier days, namely with Namor before she married Reed (and also afterwards to a degree too).
So on that score I don't especially mind her being attracted to the surfer on some level (just consider him a substitute for Namor) as long as it's made clear he is no real competition for Reed in the end (as was always the case with Namor).

I do agree with you though in that they have trod down this road in the first film already, as she was undoubtedly supposed to have been involved on some romantic level with Doom: no-one proposes for nothing after all.

In regards her power within the team, well she was no light-weight in the first film (that dubious honour fell to Reed...). After all, she freed the frozen Reed, took on Doom single handed, then contained Johnny's Nova at the end, so I think she played a good enough part on those terms.

Malus,

Agreed...The only ones I liked were Culp as the pre-accident Doom (in armor the guy acted like a demented traffic director) and the human Ben.
Sue was ok, but just a little too 'homely' for my tastes. The guy playing Reed tried, but just wasn't suited for the part.

You guys can kick my butt if you want, but i actually liked Corman's version of The Thing. :thing: :up: :o

Malus,

He was enthusiastic, I thought. Seemed more like the brash but naive Johnny Storm of the comics. And sure looked a lot more the part.

Chris Evans is a good actor, but his Johnny Storm is a mean-spirited jerk compared to the comics' Johnny.
I do think he's a better actor than Underwood, and I realize that I have the script, largely, to blame for "his" Johnny.
"Where are your ears?" indeed.
What a thing to say to any human being who's just become a hideous monster.
:up: But hey, funny stuff! Gotta make the audience laugh at the right beats.
Go, Fox. :whatever:

You guys can kick my butt if you want, but i actually liked Corman's version of The Thing. :thing: :up: :o

If they could have just synched the voice better, and if the mouth had just been a little...different....
I don't hate the Corman Thing, either.
In fact, I was disappointed that in the 12 years since the Corman cheapie was made that we weren't getting something significantly more advanced than the "Ninja Turtles" Thing.
I'm not in the "CGI Thing" camp, but I feel strongly they should have gone with some type of CGI/live action synthesis.

What's done is done, though.
Maybe my kids will get to see a faithful "Thing" some day.
Hope I still have my hearing and/or other faculties then. :csad:

We will not hold that against you. I have seen it. I take it at face value. For what it was, and only for what it was, it was ok. The Thing suit was awfull. He looked like a TMNT, with a bad hangover, and had been run over by an 18 wheeler. When he turned sideways, the mask reminded me of Robocop. The jaw just jutted out. The Torch couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his fireballs, and when he finally did Flame On, it was the lamest thing I had ever seen. Reeds stretching effects would make Inspector Gadget laugh. Sue's force shield looked like a huge contact lens. The space suits looked like what you wrap a potato in before you throw it in the fire. The sets looked like the sets from Star Trek. Cardboard. The only good thing was, they remained as faithfull to the original comic story as possible.

We will not hold that against you. I have seen it. I take it at face value. For what it was, and only for what it was, it was ok. The Thing suit was awfull. He looked like a TMNT, with a bad hangover, and had been run over by an 18 wheeler. When he turned sideways, the mask reminded me of Robocop. The jaw just jutted out. The Torch couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his fireballs, and when he finally did Flame On, it was the lamest thing I had ever seen. Reeds stretching effects would make Inspector Gadget laugh. Sue's force shield looked like a huge contact lens. The space suits looked like what you wrap a potato in before you throw it in the fire. The sets looked like the sets from Star Trek. Cardboard. The only good thing was, they remained as faithfull to the original comic story as possible.

"Flame Off" was the best....lol

I wonder if Windex sponsored the movie???? :cwink:

If they could have just synched the voice better, and if the mouth had just been a little...different....
I don't hate the Corman Thing, either.
In fact, I was disappointed that in the 12 years since the Corman cheapie was made that we weren't getting something significantly more advanced than the "Ninja Turtles" Thing.
I'm not in the "CGI Thing" camp, but I feel strongly they should have gone with some type of CGI/live action synthesis.

What's done is done, though.
Maybe my kids will get to see a faithful "Thing" some day.
Hope I still have my hearing and/or other faculties then. :csad:

I can agree with this....but there were times in the movie 2005 that I liked the look of Thing, but yes it could have been much better....

The idea of Surfer coming to Earth to scout for Galactus, then Doom's resurrection, followed by his ascension to godhood, and the F4 must challenge Doom's power..then yeah it could easily fill up a whole movie (especially if Doom takes full command of Latveria towards the end).

I agree and that would make a great movie.

Producers, writers and directors should have learned a lesson long ago and stop teasing the diehard fans. It doesn't lead to enticement, it leads to disappointment. Being elusive just makes the fan's mind run wild. This leads to unreasonable expectations and fanboy whining when those expectations aren't met. They've had this *wink wink* attitude about Galactus from the beginning knowing full well they weren't going to include him in the film. This intentional tease is just bad marketing. A similar thing happened on X3. They (especially the writers) personally led fans to believe that full Phoenix effects and Sentinels would be running around in the film. They wanted to keep things fresh and entice but all they did was agitate the fans and get expectations way too high.

They have our money already, quick dicking everyone around and hurting future word of mouth. THAT will actually cost them cash in the long run, not enticing already diehard fans.

Did you see this interview at superheroflix?

EXCLUSIVE: Ioan Gruffudd Talks Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer! Thursday, February 15th, 2007

During a recent interview with Ioan Gruffudd for his newest movie Amazing Grace, we had a chance to talk with him about the upcoming Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surger. Here is what Gruffudd had to say:

Lastly, what can we expect from Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer?

Ioan Gruffudd: (Laughs).

I'm sorry, I gotta ask.

Ioan Gruffudd: Absolutely, absolutely. I believe that this is a far better movie than the first one.

Oh really?

Ioan Gruffudd: The first movie is an origin movie. It's a movie about setting it up for a wider audience, who these characters are and how they came to be. There was a lot of criticism of that from the first movie. This time, we are pulling out all the stops. We start, from the beginning, the whole thing is just action packed from the word go. Yes, the Silver Surfer is the main protagonist and it's a really exciting char
acter

http://www.superheroflix.com/news/89/17789.php

Hah...the Silver Surger....that's one for the Nads thread.

Wobbly said:
Agreed...The only ones I liked were Culp as the pre-accident Doom (in armor the guy acted like a demented traffic director) and the human Ben.

Corman's pre-human Ben was cool (and I thought the suit was good with all things considering) but to be honest with you...sometimes I got the feeling that Reed and Ben had a little "sumpin-sumpin" going on the side in Corman's version. The way hot muscular Ben was always hugging him.....and comforting him.....and loving him down....while Reed found it perfectly okay to sob peacefully in his big brawny arms. :rolleyes: I distinctly remember a few times where I was thinking "Oh yeah, they're kickin it." LOL

Sorry guys, but I haven't had my first cup of java this morning. :cool:

Hah...the Silver Surger....that's one for the Nads thread.

Corman's pre-human Ben was cool (and I thought the suit was good with all things considering) but to be honest with you...sometimes I got the feeling that Reed and Ben had a little "sumpin-sumpin" going on the side in Corman's version. The way hot muscular Ben was always hugging him.....and comforting him.....and loving him down....while Reed found it perfectly okay to sob peacefully in his big brawny arms. :rolleyes: I distinctly remember a few times where I was thinking "Oh yeah, they're kickin it." LOL

Sorry guys, but I haven't had my first cup of java this morning. :cool:

Yes.....

Did you see this interview at superheroflix?

EXCLUSIVE: Ioan Gruffudd Talks Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer! Thursday, February 15th, 2007

During a recent interview with Ioan Gruffudd for his newest movie Amazing Grace, we had a chance to talk with him about the upcoming Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surger. Here is what Gruffudd had to say:

Lastly, what can we expect from Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer?

Ioan Gruffudd: (Laughs).

I'm sorry, I gotta ask.

Ioan Gruffudd: Absolutely, absolutely. I believe that this is a far better movie than the first one.

Oh really?

Ioan Gruffudd: The first movie is an origin movie. It's a movie about setting it up for a wider audience, who these characters are and how they came to be. There was a lot of criticism of that from the first movie. This time, we are pulling out all the stops. We start, from the beginning, the whole thing is just action packed from the word go. Yes, the Silver Surfer is the main protagonist and it's a really exciting character.

http://www.superheroflix.com/news/89/17789.php

Ummmm....isn't that the interview that this thread is about?????:huh: :huh: :huh:

Well, suiting Doom up in in the type of fabrics needed, for example leather and suede is costly to work with. And clearly judging by the shoddy construction of the FF suits, the costumes weren't made by a fine tailor. I've heard the Corman was simply so worried over every penny that he chose the cheapest way to go in all aspects. Again- if he had Tim's budget, he probably would have loosened his belt and went for better setpieces.

But- at least they were trying to be closer to the source material. Their only major leaps were again due to budget- such as making the Moleman the Jeweler.

You're forgetting that Roger Corman is considered the modern king of B-movies. First of all he would never get a bigger budget because by and large his movies suck. Second, the budget wasn't the only problem, more major problems were the script, the casting, the acting, and the pacing, to list a few. And as far as Doom goes I think Culp way over-played his role. He wasn't menacing, just hammy and ridiculous. Though I agree he looked more like doom, even though he had little metal pieces glued to his black gloves instead of a pair of real gauntlets. While McMahon may not have been able to play the role the way it should have been played, he is overall a better actor and hopefully he's been given a better script and better direction this time.

You're forgetting that Roger Corman is considered the modern king of B-movies. First of all he would never get a bigger budget because by and large his movies suck.

Dude, I know Corman's history. And if you read my first post on the matter, you'd know I said I HATE his movies. I was mostly noting that he with his tiny budget made a stronger attempt than Story et al to be true to the comics, which inherently was better than FF2005. Doom as ruler of Latveria was better than Doom, boy industrialist. Doom's costume (however cheaply made) was still better designed than the Salvation army outfit he's wearing in Story's film. He didn't give us Organic-Metal Doom. He didn't have Doom wanting to marry Sue. He didn't give us a Sue Storm too young for the character as written. He didn't give us a Sue & Johnny who didn't look like they grew up in the same neighborhood, let alone family. And he did give us a better looking unmasked Doom. A IMO perfect looking Sue an at least passable Johnny and Ben.

Corman, due to his tiny budget could have taken short cuts- altered the FF's story greatly, cast Tracy Lords as Sue or what have you. Nobody cared about this movie anyway. But despite his low budget (low? I should say non-existent) he still tried harder to give us Stan Lee & Jack Kirby's FF.

Second, the budget wasn't the only problem, more major problems were the script, the casting, the acting, and the pacing, to list a few.

And you're unaware that EVERY ONE of those complaints were lodged like boulders at FF '05? The script was a joke. There was no plot. Simply various excuses for special effects laden action scenes. No character development. Everyone merely did what they did "just because". Johnny was written as a scumbag. The comics Johnny would NEVER have humiliated Ben as the movie version did after HIS FRICKIN' WIFE DUMPED HIM. Sue & Reed only wound up together because they covered the romance end of the story, not out of a genuine building of affection between them.

Corman's script was paint by numbers, and silly at times. But Story's script was plain garbage.

And as far as Doom goes I think Culp way over-played his role. He wasn't menacing, just hammy and ridiculous. Though I agree he looked more like doom, even though he had little metal pieces glued to his black gloves instead of a pair of real gauntlets. While McMahon may not have been able to play the role the way it should have been played, he is overall a better actor and hopefully he's been given a better script and better direction this time.

Really, Marco Polo? I said, Culp was a better PHYSICAL DOOM. He looked better than McMahon for the role. And seeing as how both had bad scripts and poor direction you can't say that if given a better script and better direction Culp wouldn't have made a good Doom. McMahon certainly made for a poor one.

Again I say this- and TRY TO ACTUAL UNDERSTAND-

I'm saying switch the two budgets- give Corman 100 million bucks. IMAGINE how much better his sets could have been. Imagine that he could have hired better talent. Better costumers. Had a shooting schedule that allowed for more camera set-ups, more takes to get stronger performances.

Now- imagine Story's film without the expensive sets. With even lower salaried actors and crew. With even less time to shoot.

Which film is really better?

Yes I know Corman's movies suck. I avoid them like steaming piles of rhino ****. But I'm saying it this: Just like Paris Hilton is only beautiful because she's rich, and there are very beautiful women out there that because they don't have money can't look as "polished' as she does, so too was FF '05's only saving grace, the money put behind it. And maybe Michael Chiklis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"