AICN Interview w/ Ioan Gruffudd ("Galactus: A No-Show?")

How is the surfboard the source of all his powers???

Keep in mind...even if that is true...the movie is not part of the 616 continuity or even the ultimate universe. The movie (like most comic movies) are seperate universes all with some of their OWN unique stories. Just like in any other continuity, it pulls large portions from the original stories...but creates it's own as well. It's normal for comics.

So no Galactus for FF2?

Whats the point of starting off the story of the Silver Silver, when Galactus is an integral part of that story?

This one has to have something point to the coming of Galactus at the end, or this franchise, which is already struggling, is Doomed (no pun intended).

Yes, I accept that the Doom-getting-the-Surfers-powers story will take up a good part of this one, but not include Galactus in any way, shape or form is stupid.

It now seems, just like the 1st, it will depend on how Doom's looks as far as fanboy appreciation goes (yes, there are other factors, but Dooms depiction in FF1 was the biggest faux-pas on the part of Story/Fox). He is getting a new look, but if they screw it up again, & dont go the whole hog of the Doom from the comics, this franchise is finished.

So no Galactus for FF2?

Whats the point of starting off the story of the Silver Silver, when Galactus is an integral part of that story?

This one has to have something point to the coming of Galactus at the end, or this franchise, which is already struggling, is Doomed (no pun intended).

Yes, I accept that the Doom-getting-the-Surfers-powers story will take up a good part of this one, but not include Galactus in any way, shape or form is stupid.

It now seems, just like the 1st, it will depend on how Doom's looks as far as fanboy appreciation goes (yes, there are other factors, but Dooms depiction in FF1 was the biggest faux-pas on the part of Story/Fox). He is getting a new look, but if they screw it up again, & dont go the whole hog of the Doom from the comics, this franchise is finished.

they are including Galactus in one way, shape or form. He's a presense that's felt. =) That's about the best that they could do without taking out character scenes or removing one of the characters all together.

they are including Galactus in one way, shape or form. He's a presense that's felt. =) That's about the best that they could do without taking out character scenes or removing one of the characters all together.

Ok, I take that on board, but im talking about a direct reference to him coming, if not in FF2, but in the near future.

I'm talking about something like (& this is only my idea), at the end of the movie, after the FF have stopped Doom in a really big, tiring, energy-sapping battle, the Surfer could say something like "you have battled bravely, however you have no idea what is coming for your world", pul back on camera from the FF/Surfer right back to to Earth in space, then see a shadow being cast........

This gives fans a nod to whats coming, those who are not fans will guess at whats coming.

Just an idea.

And you know this how?

And you know this how?

The FF team.
Silver Surfer
Dr. Doom

A plot which focuses on three major plot points:

Love Triangle
Surfer as the enemy at first until he realizes the potential of humanity.
Dr. Doom and his plot to steal the Surfers powers.

This ain't gonna be a 3 hour movie. :) There's no room left for Galactus. Sure, they could throw him into the last scene of the movie, but that would be forced and just poor writing in general.

Ok, I take that on board, but im talking about a direct reference to him coming, if not in FF2, but in the near future.

I'm talking about something like (& this is only my idea), at the end of the movie, after the FF have stopped Doom in a really big, tiring, energy-sapping battle, the Surfer could say something like "you have battled bravely, however you have no idea what is coming for your world", pul back on camera from the FF/Surfer right back to to Earth in space, then see a shadow being cast........

This gives fans a nod to whats coming, those who are not fans will guess at whats coming.

Just an idea.

That could work. And none of us KNOW for certain something like that won't happen.
I'm starting to think there might be a little something after the credits. A teaser of a sort...it may not show Galactus, but it would imply it.

The FF team.
Silver Surfer
Dr. Doom

A plot which focuses on three major plot points:

Love Triangle
Surfer as the enemy at first until he realizes the potential of humanity.
Dr. Doom and his plot to steal the Surfers powers.

This ain't gonna be a 3 hour movie. :) There's no room left for Galactus. Sure, they could throw him into the last scene of the movie, but that would be forced and just poor writing in general.

In your opinion :cwink:

Thing is, the 3 plot points you mention are not all that complicated, certainly not enough to make this anything like a 3 hour film unless we have a hellova lot of pointless dialogue going on (and that's including the needless love triangle which was already done in the first film)

So I have to disagree. Imo, they could give us the Surfer, Doom & Galactus and still bring this movie in at around the 2 hour mark without it feeling forced or rushed in any way. Of course if Fox are aiming for the magic 90 minute mark again (as they are unfortunately prone to doing) then trying to do Galactus justice does become trickier, but to that I say screw it, the story is more important than an extra screening a day so if 2 hours is needed that is what it should be (cutting the film to fit that 90 minute slot was another mistake they made with the first film)

New Interview (exclusive) where he talks even more:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/765/765590p1.html?RSSwhen2007-02-16_150400&RSSid=765590
Mr. Fantastic Speaks
IGN's exclusive chat with actor Ioan Gruffudd.
by Stax

February 16, 2007 - IGN Movies chatted with Welsh actor Ioan Gruffudd this week, during which time we got him to open up about what fans can expect from Fox's Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. Gruffudd reprises his role as Dr. Reed Richards, a.k.a. Mr. Fantastic, in the sequel to the 2005 blockbuster.

IGN Movies: What is the nature of the relationship between the Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer in the film? Will the Surfer be a good guy by the end of the movie? Or is he still going to be a villain so as to set up a third film?

Ioan Gruffudd: We're certainly keeping to the comic book. Absolutely, yes. So his good side is revealed towards the end of the movie, but not quite entirely. So we are true to the ambiguous nature of the character in that comic book and that's why he's so loved. He's tormented.

IGN: Were you ever concerned at all that the film was being used as a springboard for a new character and potential franchise? Was there any concern about balance since it is supposed to be your film and not the Surfer's?

Gruffudd: I hadn't thought of that until you brought it up. That is interesting.

IGN: I'm glad I brought it up after you finished filming.

Gruffudd: Yeah, right! Run in there in a panic, "We must get this guy out of the movie!" [laughs] No, because of his popularity he can only help us as the Fantastic Four. That's the exciting thing about it. The fans can't wait to meet the Silver Surfer, and if he does have a spin-off then good luck to him.

[SIZE=-2]Fox[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Ioan Gruffudd (in the Fantasticar); click for more images from Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.[/SIZE]

IGN: So it is accurate then, too, that Galactus is never in the movie? You were quoted as saying that in another interview.

Gruffudd: Yes. Yes, it is.

IGN: Are the Fantastic Four films envisioned as a trilogy, kind of like Fox's X-Men films? And does this one end on a cliffhanger?

Gruffudd: Yes and no. It comes to a good, natural conclusion but, yes, obviously we leave it open-ended for the next one certainly.

IGN: So how's Dr. Doom handling it now that you took his girl, took his looks and sent him off on a boat to Latveria?

Gruffudd: [laughs] He's mightily pissed off about it. But then he comes back. He does bear a grudge. You can put it that way.

IGN: Since the Fantastic Four are a family, how has the dynamic of the relationships between the character changed or evolved since the last film? Are they more comfortable being who they are? Less comfortable?

Gruffudd: I'd say they are more comfortable but they're still grappling with it. They're still toying with the idea of maybe we should give up this life and move out into the countryside somewhere and forget about it. The "I don't want to be Superman anymore" kind of thing. So we do have that conversation. We do present them as celebrities, absolutely. Every time they walk out the door people are watching them. They do live amongst everyone in New York City.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer opens June 15th.

Cool interview but it's kind of pissing me off how much he's revealing. Sure any of us that know the silver surfer's story knows he spares Earth but why the hell does he have to spill the beans on the net where it's gonna spread like this. Why not let the general public think he's a bad guy like they did in the trailer. I think finding out later he can be good would be a great surprise for the average person who doesn't know. They're spoiling this film too much...not for me but for others.

Thanks AD!
I agree that Ioan (as goodhearted as he is) may have revealed a little too much at this early stage.Or is it intentional on his part? I mean the cast and crew sign NDAs and such but yet he's gone on record not once but twice to say that Galactus is a no-show.Are they trying to pull a fast one on us?Hmmm..

Thanks AD!
I agree that Ioan (as goodhearted as he is) may have revealed a little too much at this early stage.Or is it intentional on his part? I mean the cast and crew sign NDAs and such but yet he's gone on record not once but twice to say that Galactus is a no-show.Are they trying to pull a fast one on us?Hmmm..

Probably not...and to be honest we've down this road a few times already with these films where we speculate (and hope) they are hiding stuff or misleading us on purpose only to find out what we feared was all true in the end. Probably wiser to take his comments at face value rather than open up the whole "cyclops returns at the end!!" can of worms again.

Having said that though...the one thing that might give me some hope in this idea is that they have (so far) kept everything to do with the story under wraps very well for once, so Letting it be known that Galactus isn't in the film is quite a big slip at this stage (however, it's also possible Ioan isn't aware of just how significant Galactus SHOULD be to this story, seeing as he has always admitted he knows very little about the books).

Whatever the case...once bitten, twice shy and all that.

I'm going to the film believing Galactus will not be in the movie. If by some great plan he is, then that would be awesome. However, I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'll just take what we get. That's all we can do at this stage.

One has to remember that it's possible Tim Story is not the comic fan that many of us are, or he'd understand the magnitude of Galactus in this film. That, or the suits at the studio are not the comic fans, or they would have put him in.

By not having a long film, the studio is looking to capitalize on more screen showings by having a shorter film time. Personally, I think the Surfer/Galactus storyline is an epic story and should be presented as such, but apparently the studio has other views, and since they are pulling the purse strings, they will give us what they want, not what we would like.

Tom Rothman apparently says otherwise.

Tim Rothman should be the last source of valid info in a comic book production. Deceit and half-truths are the man's speciality.

I'm going to the film believing Galactus will not be in the movie. If by some great plan he is, then that would be awesome. However, I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'll just take what we get. That's all we can do at this stage.

One has to remember that it's possible Tim Story is not the comic fan that many of us are, or he'd understand the magnitude of Galactus in this film. That, or the suits at the studio are not the comic fans, or they would have put him in.

By not having a long film, the studio is looking to capitalize on more screen showings by having a shorter film time. Personally, I think the Surfer/Galactus storyline is an epic story and should be presented as such, but apparently the studio has other views, and since they are pulling the purse strings, they will give us what they want, not what we would like.

That's stating the obvious...:o :yay:

After FF1 and X3 I've learned to take what these actors say at face value. It'd be great to be surprised later, but I'm no longer holding my breath on such things anymore. In a way, I'm glad to know this now, that way I won't be let down later (even though I never wanted to see a full-fledged Galactus deal in this film anyway--just a hint of him).

And no, I'm not bitter--I'm just smarter this time around.

I agree with LS. As much as I like X3, I did allow myself get way too hyped up, expecting to see Sentinels in all their glory as well as Angel "kicking bad guys asses" in the Alcatraz battle.

I was always skeptical about seeing Galactus in FF2.

Satan is the master of lies.

Too True, Too True.

However there is still some doubt that Rothman is indeed the devil.

Ok Luci... I mean tom can I have the 30 pieces of silver you promised me now.

Probably not...and to be honest we've down this road a few times already with these films where we speculate (and hope) they are hiding stuff or misleading us on purpose only to find out what we feared was all true in the end. Probably wiser to take his comments at face value rather than open up the whole "cyclops returns at the end!!" can of worms again.

Having said that though...the one thing that might give me some hope in this idea is that they have (so far) kept everything to do with the story under wraps very well for once, so Letting it be known that Galactus isn't in the film is quite a big slip at this stage (however, it's also possible Ioan isn't aware of just how significant Galactus SHOULD be to this story, seeing as he has always admitted he knows very little about the books).

Whatever the case...once bitten, twice shy and all that.

Yeah, you're probably right to not get hopes up but somewhere at the end of the tunnel theres a glimmer of hope.Ralph Winter's recent comments seem to suggest that they haven't even decided if we'll see Galactus full-on. So theres a possibility that they may shoot such a scene in the coming months.

Wouldn't be the first time a crucial scene was added at this stage in post production. The final scene chess scene with Magneto in X3, the final scene in Xavier's office in X2 and the final scene in the Bourne Supremacy in NY (was supposed to end in Moscow) were shot only weeks before the release.

So we're all for coming into this movie with low expectations? ALRIGHT!

Yeah, you're probably right to not get hopes up but somewhere at the end of the tunnel theres a glimmer of hope.Ralph Winter's recent comments seem to suggest that they haven't even decided if we'll see Galactus full-on. So theres a possibility that they may shoot such a scene in the coming months.

Wouldn't be the first time a crucial scene was added at this stage in post production.The final scene chess scene with Magneto in X3, the final scene in Xavier's office in X2 and the final scene in the Bourne Supremacy in NY (was supposed to end in Moscow) were shot only weeks before the release.

I did not know that.
capt.ny11701231900.people_carson_ny117.jpg

Reading this Ioan's new interview it seems to me he doesn't really get what SS is.

That's bad news, because it may be due to Story's movie itself.

SS is not just tormented, he is philosophical, and his melancholy gets worse when he sees what human being is capable of.

Is that too much to expect from cinema? I mean, if comics are enough developed medium to support that, why not cinema?

Reading this Ioan's new interview it seems to me he doesn't really get what SS is.

That's bad news, because it may be due to Story's movie itself.

SS is not just tormented, he is philosophical, and his melancholy gets worse when he sees what human being is capable of.

Is that too much to expect from cinema? I mean, if comics are enough developed medium to support that, why not cinema?

I think that "tormented" is a good base to go from, certainly not something to hang your hat on and say be upset about....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"