Dragon Age 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The talking Darkspawn were pretty cool.

I got a kick out of that one that's leading the assault at the end at [blackout] Vigil's Keep [/blackout] and then incredulously demands to know why [blackout]the Fortress is still standing[/blackout].

I honestly wish they had kept them around.

any one knows if Duncan was The Warden-Commander of Ferelden or not

Duncan was in fact the Warden Commander of Ferelden.

Yeah, I liked that one too. I chose to spare him. I would love to see him turn up in a future game (and more of his ilk).

talkeing about dragon age awakening The only thing i do not like about awakening is The only thing i do not like about Dragon Age 2 the Dialogue points

I want to speak with Companions when I want

I forgot how much Mages used to PISS ME OFF in this game.

I think the Templar's are just as annoying at times, but it's more to do with the writing of Dragon Age rather than specific characters. Even in Origins it felt as subtle as a brick at times, but at least it wasn't at the forefront like in DA2.

I think the only thing that annoyed me more than either group were the Dalish elves in DA2. They went from soppy hippy elves with a mild distrust of the player character to a cheap traveler stereotype that heaped abuse and threatened the player character if you so much as walked past them.

I ****ing hate them because one single Mage can **** up your entire group if you don't take care of him immediately. And even when you know he's there or where he is, he still manages to cast faster than you can nail him with a bloody arrow.

lol, it never occurred to me that you meant that. I'm more used to people complaining about other aspects of DA.

I ****ing hate them because one single Mage can **** up your entire group if you don't take care of him immediately. And even when you know he's there or where he is, he still manages to cast faster than you can nail him with a bloody arrow.

Mana clash is your best friend. Bring a mage, and set mana clash to closest mage. It's usually an instant kill. I felt the same as you at first. The fade gave me trouble in my first game. Now I look forward to fighting them.

When Leliana got Arrow of Slaying I used her primarily to snipe enemy mages.

One thing I always wondered. Why does the game hate Leliana? She's way in the back and I've got my main as an Arcane Warrior, together with Alistair, dishing out tons of damage, and Wynne is keeping everyone alive. And every ****ing time, the enemy goes after Leliana, trying to kill her first. Why the **** is that?

It's like that with me and Oghren.

I think it has to do with how much aggro they are generating. That's why the fighters have Taunt and the like to draw heat off of your Mages or Archers.

I get that, but why would she exactly generate so much aggro? I'm pretty sure she isn't dealing the most damage. It's like the game simply knows she is the easiest to kill.

Say, does someone know if it's still possible to get Sten's sword after the Darkspawn attacked Redcliffe, or did I **** up?

I always get it after the Redcliffe quest so you should be fine.

EDIT: Oh after the Darkspawn attack. Yeah its gone.

Ah.. bonkers! Luckily I save often. But that means at least 2-3 hours down the drain just to get Sten's sword, which isn't even that good. But I was planning to make this my Ultimate playthrough. *sigh* Damn it... *reload*

The Lead Writer Of Dragon Age Largely Avoids BioWare’s ‘Increasingly Toxic’ Forums

It can't be easy to be a BioWare writer. You and your co-workers run yourselves ragged crafting huge, sprawling stories, and afterwards you're subjected to all manner of intense feedback, much of it shouted by the more extreme corners of your fanbase.

So it's perhaps not a huge surprise that these days, Dragon Age lead writer David Gaider tends to avoid the BioWare Social Network (BSN), his own company's forums, which he describes as "increasingly toxic."

In a thoughtful and nuanced post at his personal blog, Gaider discusses fandom and toxic environments broadly, as well as his personal relationship with the BioWare forums. The post was prompted by a fan mentioning a hope that Gaider and the rest of the BioWare creative staff don't assume the more extreme posters on the forums speak for all BioWare fans.

After assuring the reader that no, he doesn't think that the more negative forum posters speak for all fans, Gaider goes into detail about his relationship with the forums, and with fan feedback in general.

I tend to largely avoid [the BSN forums] these days, myself. Why? Because spending too much time there starts to make me feel negative- not just about the games we make, but about myself and life in general. That's not a good feeling to have. I'm sure there are folks there who would bristle at that comment, suggesting that all negative feedback is justifiable and that ignoring it is the equivalent of us sticking our heads in the sand. How will we ever improve unless we listen to their scolding and take our lumps like good little developers? That is, of course, ignoring the idea that we haven't already digested a mountain of feedback- both positive and negative- and there's really only so much of it you can take. Eventually you make decisions (informed by that feedback, though only in part- it can only ever be in part) and move on.

And I'm sure there are also people there who would say that there's plenty of useful, thoughtful feedback. Not all of it consists of angry ranting. You can, in fact, meet and talk to some very keen and intelligent posters. And that's very true. If it weren't true, I wouldn't go there at all. Yet the signal-to-noise ratio does seem to be worsening, and eventually you get the feeling like you're at one of those parties where all anyone is doing is *****ing. It doesn't matter what they're *****ing about so much as, sooner or later, that's all you can really hear. Engaging starts to mean partaking in the *****ing until you feel like that's all you're doing. Even when I try to rise above, those who are most negative will seek me out in order to get a rise out of me- and not unsuccessfully. I am only human, and I'll end up responding to score points just as they do, and end up feeling ****** for having done so.

There's a lot more in the the full post. It's an interesting, balanced, and welcomely candid look how video game creatives can feel in the face of overwhelming, often toxic fan feedback.

Source

Simple solution: Write better. Make better games. Maybe then people wouldn't be on Bioware's back so much.

I think it was just the 2 big negative hits being in a row. With Dragon Age 2 being awful compared to DA O, and Mass Effect 3's ending coupled with Bioware employees arguing with the fanbase. If DA 2 had turned out better, I doubt the raging some are still doing on Bioware's boards would be as loud. A lot of ppl jumped on the, "Bioware's starting to suck ship", because it built steam from both incidents being back to back.

I was very disappointed in 3's ending, but the rest of the game was brilliant. I didn't finish it thinking they lost their touch. Though DA 2 was just awful. I have no clue how they took a great game like Origins, and followed it up with that.

Once Mass Effect 4, or DA 3 comes out (assuming they keep up Bioware's usual high standards), the *****ing will probably shift back to praise. I do understand his point though. Focusing too much on the negative comments can be a drain, and make him constantly second guess himself. There is plenty of good, constructive criticism. However there's also a lot of rambling, *****ing, pointless, and redundant arguments made as well with no constructive criticism given.

So, I finished DAO a couple days ago and have been playing Awakening, only to find out that I can't finish 3 companion quests, due to bugs. -_-

Simple solution: Write better. Make better games. Maybe then people wouldn't be on Bioware's back so much.

I'm a bit yes/no with this. Bioware has made a lot of cock ups with both Dragon Age and Mass Effect and deserve many harsh criticisms, but the BSN is a bit of a cesspool at times and I don't think that's entirely dependent on the quality of work from Bioware. Though saying that, it's not necessarily always down to the fan base that the BSN is a cesspool.

So, I finished DAO a couple days ago and have been playing Awakening, only to find out that I can't finish 3 companion quests, due to bugs. -_-

What quests are those? Also, what platform are playing on?

Last edited:

I'm playing on PS3, I know on PC those bugs could probably be quickly resolved. Here are the quests I can't finish.

1. Oghren the Family Man - After Felsi came to the Keep, all that's left is that I talk to Oghren. I need to get his approval to 76+, and I'm pretty sure I've got him just barely below 80. But nothing happens when I talk to him.
2. Sigrun's Roguish Past - No chance of initiating it, when I do the Law and Order quest in Amaranthine. It's not supposed to interfere. It simply bugs the game and prevents the quest from activating when you enter the city with Sigrun.
3. Velanna's Exile - This apparently randomly activates, either by traveling between the Keep and the city, or the Keep and the woods. Well, I traveled the roads plenty of times but nothing happens. Might not actually be a bug, just a low probability for the quest to activate.

I'm a bit yes/no with this. Bioware has made a lot of cock ups with both Dragon Age and Mass Effect and deserve many harsh criticisms, but the BSN is a bit of a cesspool at times and I don't think that's entirely dependent on the quality of work from Bioware. Though saying that, it's not necessarily always down to the fan base that the BSN is a cesspool.

:jedi harsh criticisms They deserve But I do not think the BSN should behave like the company lost the ability to make great games:jedi

For some fans they have. You have to remember that a sizable contingent of Bioware fans think Mass Effect 2 was an abomination and every game since then has largely been a failure in their eyes.

Most people who don't post on BSN generally like Mass Effect 2, but whether you do or not, most people I think can agree that Bioware has had a string of misses. Or at the very least a string of very divisive games.

I can respect somebody saying that ME2 is not their cup of tea, but anyone that says ME2 is an objectively bad game is a crazy person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"