DTL Season 5-Week 11 (Set 2)

DTL Commish

DTL Commisioner
Reaction score
The rules:
This is one of four threads containing matches.
Due to the holiday, these threads will be in use for 10 days. Days 1-4 (Feb 5 - Feb 8) are strictly setup time for owners to plead their cases, tell us their team’s strategies, breakdown the match ups, and do whatever else they can/want to do to try and convince you that their team would pull out a victory. Please, let the owners do this on their own with no help.

On Day 5 (Feb 9) I will post and tell everyone that voting may begin. Any votes cast before I open voting will not count. Look over the matchups and read the strategies, and take into consideration how in-character each character is. Afterwards, use your best judgment to decide who you think has the best chance to win the match. (Note: The length of a writeup the discretion of the owner. Do not punish owners just for having a shorter writeup.)

To vote, post the team names you think will prevail in each match. Remember to vote for all matches or your vote will not count! The teams with the highest vote total at the end of the 9th day (Feb 12) will get a W while the other will get an L. (Equal votes will result in a tie.)

The battleground for this week is: Imperial Gladitorial Ring (Planet Hulk)

The Immortals
Xavier Juggernaut (MU) - Extremely powerful telepath with powers of super strength, invulnerability and "unstoppability".
"Burnt Offering" Cable (MU) - Telekinetic/telepath with high level healing/regeneration factor.
Brainiac 417 w/MonElves (DM) - Spirit-being genius with access to high level tech and three small, super powered assistants.
"Death"Wolverine (MR) - Mutant with healing factor, heightened senses, unbreakable bones/claws, a sword that fires large energy blasts and armor that provides cloaking and low level teleportation.
Midnighter (DR) - Fighter who has heightened senses, enhanced speed, durability, strength, skeleton and a healing factor. Also has a computer-enhanced brain that can instantly predict every possible move an opponent can make and plot the most effective counter move.

VS.

Last Chancers*
Hulk (MU)
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) (DU)
Wolverine (MR)
Wild Child (MR)
Husk (MR)

The Deadly Dozen
The Magus (Adam Warlock) (MU) -- superstrength/durability, energy projection, teleportation, intangibility, flight, hyper senses, Soul Gem (capable of manipulating spiritual energy and stealing souls)
Doomsday-Brainiac (DU) -- super-strength/speed/durability, supergenius intellect, telepathy, adaptation
Darkchylde (Inferno) (MR) -- teleportation, minor sorcery, magic-disrupting Soulsword
Deadman (DR) -- invisible, intangible ghost who possesses others
Ambrose Chase (DR) -- uses a selective physics distortion field to manipulate time, gravity, etc.

VS.

Deadpool's Harem
Wonder Woman DU - Superhuman strength, speed, reflexes, stamina, durability, flight, excellent hand to hand combatant
Kayla Ballantine - superhuman strength, powerful energy blasts, manipulation of matter, teleportation, telepathy
Byakko DM - ability to turn herself and others intangible, martial artist, disrupts electronical devices, controls gravity to an extent
Deadpool MR healing factor, enhanced endurance, agility, and reflexes. Paraphenelia: Image inducer, teleporter
Nemesis DR - superstrength, invulnerability, empath, 5000 year old warrior. Paraphenelia: Pegasus hover bike, sword that can cut through virtually anything, stealth suit which can shield her from detection and enclose her in a protective force filed.

The Immortals
Xavier Juggernaut (MU) - Extremely powerful telepath with powers of super strength, invulnerability and "unstoppability".
"Burnt Offering" Cable (MU) - Telekinetic/telepath with high level healing/regeneration factor.
Brainiac 417 w/MonElves (DM) - Spirit-being genius with access to high level tech and three small, super powered assistants.
"Death"Wolverine (MR) - Mutant with healing factor, heightened senses, unbreakable bones/claws, a sword that fires large energy blasts and armor that provides cloaking and low level teleportation.
Midnighter (DR) - Fighter who has heightened senses, enhanced speed, durability, strength, skeleton and a healing factor. Also has a computer-enhanced brain that can instantly predict every possible move an opponent can make and plot the most effective counter move.

VS.

Last Chancers*
Hulk (MU)
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) (DU)
Wolverine (MR)
Wild Child (MR)
Husk (MR)

The team stands on planet Sakaar totally unfamiliar with its surroundings but surprisingly it is given very complete information on its opponents and they realise that location wise, they will be facing a green behemoth who is very familiar with the surrounding area and is even the King of the planet.

They realise that they have an enourmous advantage with the telepathic power they have at their hands. They know Hal Jordan cannot resist them and no one else has any real protection except maybe...The Hulk.

As usual everyone besides Cable and Xavier decide to stick together and they will attack the others as a unit. Death says the imposter using my bname will face me. Midnighter suggest he will take care of Wild Child while Brainiac realises Husk is no match for his Monelves.

Battle seen from the eyes of the Hulk:

The Hulk is full of rage. He has lost his wife on this planet and his oldest follower among his warbound betrayed him and destroyed his only happinness Caera. One again in the stadium but this time there is no more weakness and no control discs. He see the Juggernaught and goes to face him, but also notices his teammate Hal go down quickly (telepathically green lanterns can be shut down), and he finds himself facing both the Juggernaut and Cable. It is of no moment...all who face him will be destroyed as he will not lose....he focuses just as he was taught and uses his rage to increase his might even further....each step causes a tremor to the ground and when he clashes with the Juggernaught it creates a sonic boom which blows away the others and weakens the structure of the stadium behind them.....

The battle of the weak ;)

Death faces off against Logan and starts taking him apart. He has all of Wolverine's powers slightly heightenned plus he is completely cloaked and fires energy blasts, not mention teleports around him. Midnighter has a harder time with Wildchild but he can predict all of Wildchild's moves and respond with superiour strength. The Mon-elves pick up Husk just as she changes into an adamantium form and stuff her into one of the cages that Brainiac teleports them to and then....BOOM Everything shakes and Wolverine, Death, Midnighter and Wild Child find themselves flung violently against the walls of the stadium. They all recover even though death and wolverine are first on their feet. Death puts Wolverine down and as an added measure teleports the groggy Wolverine into a cell below strong enough to hold him.

He goes to help Xavier and Cable.

But as he does this he notices the ceiling of the cells caving in with blocks tumbling all around....

Back to the Battle of the Strong

The clash is titanesque. Hulk has so far been immune to Xavier's and lables attempts and psychic control. The ground cannot hold them up as they sink further while looking like two immobile statues. Planets could be crushed between those four hands. Cable attampts to help by encasing the Juggernaut in telekinetic power but as he does this the Hulk keeps getting stronger as his rage and frustration ever grows. Cable finally attempts to create an image of Caera which causes an instant of distraction, a moment of where the Hulk recollects that he was happy once. The Juggernaut steps back attempting to overpower the Hulk to add to this feeling. And in one instant Bruce finds himself coming back as the Hulk seems to not want to battle anymore and wants to rest. His sadness is overwhelming and Bruce goes to sleep.

The stadium is crushed gravel and the Immortals are victorious when........ Womp.......

A green mix between Hulk and Conan jumps into the Stadium wielding a sword:

"Who are you to come to my planet and who is this puny pinkie (humans are pinkish in colors).....I will stand for no battles without my approval....I am Skaar" but all of these strange creatures fade away even the pinkie to whom he felt a strange bond.....

Notes: so I am a Hulk fan and I did not want to have him defeated.....it was Bruce not the Hulk who lost ;) The last character was the son of the Hulk who is going to appear in a new comic starting March.

composite6.JPG

The Deadly Dozen
The Magus (Adam Warlock) (MU) -- superstrength/durability, energy projection, teleportation, intangibility, flight, hyper senses, Soul Gem (capable of manipulating spiritual energy and stealing souls)
Doomsday-Brainiac (DU) -- super-strength/speed/durability, supergenius intellect, telepathy, adaptation
Darkchylde (Inferno) (MR) -- teleportation, minor sorcery, magic-disrupting Soulsword
Deadman (DR) -- invisible, intangible ghost who possesses others
Ambrose Chase (DR) -- uses a selective physics distortion field to manipulate time, gravity, etc.

VS.

Deadpool's Harem
Wonder Woman (DU) - Superhuman strength, speed, reflexes, stamina, durability, flight, excellent hand to hand combatant
Kayla Ballantine (MU) - superhuman strength, powerful energy blasts, manipulation of matter, teleportation, telepathy
Byakko (DM) - ability to turn herself and others intangible, martial artist, disrupts electronical devices, controls gravity to an extent
Deadpool (MR) healing factor, enhanced endurance, agility, and reflexes. Paraphenelia: Image inducer, teleporter
Nemesis (DR) - superstrength, invulnerability, empath, 5000 year old warrior. Paraphenelia: Pegasus hover bike, sword that can cut through virtually anything, stealth suit which can shield her from detection and enclose her in a protective force filed.

LadyVader's promise of a "gimicky write-up" has me a bit nervous. But I'm going to keep mine fairly brief and straightforward. Maybe I'll just have to do a gimicky debate . . . critiquing her writeup in rhyming couplets or something. ;)

The Battle

With a wide-open arena for a battlefield, it takes no time at all for the ubers to find eachother. To me it seems obvious that the high-octane energy wielders (Magus and Kayla) will end up paired against each other, while the super-strong, super-fast hand-to-hand combat types (Doomsday and Wonder Woman) fight their own fight.

Magus vs. Kayla Ballantine
Magus and Kayla have a similar list of powers. Both wield massive amounts of energy, both possess superstrength (although I don't think Kayla has Magus-level strength), both can teleport. Kayla has telepathy, but Magus, like all versions of Adam Warlock, has an incredibly high degree of telepathy resistance. (To give one example, Moondragon with the Mind Gem easily took down Xavier with a single psi-blast. Yet when she tried to invade the mind of a comatose Warlock, he forcibly tossed her out.) Magus can also evade Kayla's attacks by going intangible. Plus he has the Soul Gem, a weapon Kayla isn't likely to be able to stop. But the biggest difference is this: Kayla is totally untrained in combat and inexperienced with her powers, whereas Magus is a highly-skilled combatant with over 5000 years experience.

Anyway, I picture it going something like this:

Magus blasts at Kayla with an energy blast, but she manages to deflect it with an energy shield. Kayla fires back with a blast of her own, but Magus phases and the blast passes harmlessly through him. Still phased, he flies straight through Kayla, then solidifying and grabbing her from behind. Magus's strength has overwhelmed Thanos (pre-resurrection Thanos, not as strong as the current one but still a beast) and Kayla now finds that same strength crushing the life out of her. She struggles with her own super-strength but is unable to break his grip. She can feel that her ribs are on the verge of cracking. Summoning her concentration, Kayla teleports away.

But she hasn't gone far. Kayla simply ported behind Magus, about 20 feet away, and now fires another energy blast at him. But Magus's hyper senses alert him to her presence (he has something like cosmic awareness), and he intercepts the blast with a portal and redirects it. Kayla is hit in the back with her own energy blast and hurled towards Magus, who meets her head on with his mighty fist.

With Kayla still reeling from the blow, Magus grabs ahold of her by both arms. Opening a portal he forces her head through, and then slams the portal shut. Kayla's body remains in his grasp, but her head is now floating, say, somewhere near alpha centuari.

Anyone else would be deader than a doornail, but Kayla is powered by the Starbrand, and those who possess the Starbrand cannot die. Kayla revives, her body taking on an alien appearance as the healing process proceeds. Seeing that his opponent is immortal, Magus simply shrugs. If he can't kill her, he'll do the next best thing. The Soul Gem glows green, and he rips the soul right out of her.

Doomsday-Brainiac vs. Wonder Woman

Doomsday-Brainiac has trounced a JLA team that included not only Wonder Woman, but also Martian Manhunter, Flash, Green Lantern (Kyle), Orion, Plastic Man and the Huntress. He's stronger, faster, smarter, more telepathic, and better looking than Wonder Woman. OK, let's call it a tie in the looks department. Of course Wonder Woman knows she's a bit outclassed, and will be pulling out all the stops to even things up.

She flies at him while wearing Nemesis's stealth suit to hide her approach. But Brainiac can still locate her telepathically -- he senses her incoming trajectory and reads in her mind that her intent is to ram him head on. He prepares to intercept her with a devastating punch.

But to Brainiac's surprise, Wonder Woman changes directions at the last second, flying over him instead of slamming into him and wrapping her lasso around his neck. She'd anticipated that he'd use his telepathy to counter her invisibility, so she had Kayla telepathically plant a false battle strategy in her head. This telepathic suggestion was set to expire only when she was staring right into Doomsday's eyes. (Kayla may be inexperienced, but with a full day of prep she could figure out how to do this.) So when Brainiac looked into her mind, he saw that Wonder Woman truly intended to smash right into him -- until the very last moment.

With her lasso wrapped around Doomsday, Wonder Woman drags him skyward. He can't fly, so he's at somewhat of a disadvantage in the air. But for Doomsday the lasso is hardly an impediment -- he grabs it and with a forcefull tug sends Wonder Woman flying towards him. (He was able to do precisely this when they fought in the comics.) Of course, having been in this situation before Wonder Woman knew it was coming. She spins in the air, turning a dead-on punch from Doomsday into a glancing blow -- although even a glancing blow from Doomsday is enough to overwhelm her stealth suit's forcefield. Not waiting for him to strike again, Wonder Woman releases the her grip on the lasso and flies out to beyond Doomsday's reach.

Without Wonder Woman pulling him up, Doomsday begins to plummet back to earth. But although Doomsday moves with superspeed, he can only fall as fast as gravity can pull him. This gives Wonder Woman plenty of time to fly circles around him, and as she does this creates a whirling vortex of wind, holding him steady in mid-air where he can't touch her. But Brainiac's brilliant mind instantly devices a countermeasure, as he claps his hand together with such force as to send out a massive shockwave, disrupting Wonder Woman's cyclone. Snaring her with her own lasso, Doomsday yanks her towards him, and a devestating twin-fisted strike sends her crashing to the ground.

Doomsday comes slamming down on top of her, and delievers an earth shaking punch. A second punch follows, but this one Wonder Woman manages to block with her unbreakable bracelets. Unfortunately, she's still too groggy from Doomsday's blows to block the strike that follows -- Doomsday's bony knee slamming into her chin and knocking her flat on her back. Doomsday drops his full weight onto her, and his elbow opens a gash across her forehead. Stunned and badly bleeding, Wonder Woman can do little to stop Doomsday's massive fist as he administers the coup de grace. A mighty punch hits her square in the face -- and passes straight through her head like a ghost. Byakko has arrived.

Through the blood and pain, Wonder Woman smiles. This was the plan all along, for her to stall Doomsday long enough for Byakko to team up with her. (Doomsday and Wonder Woman are so much faster than the others that they got a significant amount of battling in before Byakko or anyone else could do anything about it.) With Byakko phasing him, Doomsday's greatest assest, his massive strength, is neutralized. Capitalizing on Doomsday's surprise, Wonder Woman draws forth her magical sword, which she had kept in reserve waiting for an opening like this one. She plunges the sword straight through Doomsday's still intangible head, and yells "Now!", signalling Byakko to render Doomsday solid once more.

But instead the sword falls straight through Wonder Woman's suddenly intangible fingers and crashes to her feet. "What are you..." Wonder Woman starts, but a one-two punch from the suddenly-solid Doomsday drops the already weakened Amazon to the ground, and a few viscious stomps on her head ensure she won't be getting up any time soon.

"Nicely done, Deadman." Doomsday says to the now possessed form of Byakko.

Some may object to Deadman aiding the villainous Doomsday against a hero like Wonder Woman. But I'm not saying Doomsday killed her -- if he had, Deadman wouldn't be OK with it. But he wants to win the fight, and he knows this means they have to at least knock Diana out, and furthermore he knows it will take a pretty severe beating to do it. No doubt this will leave a bad taste in Deadman's mouth, but he has enough confidence in Wonder Woman's durability and recuperative powers to believe she'll be alright when she does wake up.

Anyway, if you don't buy that, remember that Brainiac could also take control of Byakko's mind with telepathy, achieving the same outcome. (I've provided scans previously that demonstrate that Brainiac
does in fact have access to his telepathy while in Doomsday's body.) I just gave the job to Deadman so that he would have something to do.

One might also say "Well, why didn't LadyVader's team anticipate that Byakko might fall victim to Doomsday's telepathy or Deadman's possession?" Maybe they did, but I'm not sure what they could do about it. The only thing I could come up with is they might have hoped Kayla would defeat Magus and be able to turn her telepathy to the task of protecting Byakko's mind. (It's quite possible they thought this, since none of them are familiar with Magus and they wouldn't know how big a threat he is.) Unfortunately, Kayla beating the arguably more powerful and definitely far more experienced Magus proved to be too tall an order, and that left things wide open for my team to take control of Byakko. (I checked with LadyVader and Byakko has never fought a telepath, so there's no reason to expect she could resist one. And even people with telepathy resistance can still be possessed by Deadman. You need a very strong will to resist him, and unless Byakko has some impressive feats of willpower I don't know about then I don't see that happening. Plus, Doomsday could also weaken her will to resist with a telepathic assault.)

I'll try to post the reg battles sometime on Saturday. The short version is LadyVader's team probably starts out winning, but once the possessed Byako phases all their weapons and equipment out of their hands or shorts it out with her electronics-disrupting powers, my regs are able to turn things around and take them out. If all else fails my ubers can finish them off, but I don't think it would come to that.

Deadly Dozen win

I'm not sure what time Wieg is planning to open voting, but hopefully I'll get the full version of my reg battles up sometime tonight. (My uber battles are already up, along with a brief summary of how I expect to win the reg battles.)

Nothing from LV yet, so I guess I'm winning so far. ;)

I vote for the Immortals for obvious reasons.

Tomorow. But I'm going strictly for the laughs, you can vote for Tim and spare yourself the hassle.:)

Tomorow. But I'm going strictly for the laughs, you can vote for Tim and spare yourself the hassle.:)

Never!!! :cmad:

Oh wait, you're both ahead of me in the conference.

[Doctor Cox]What to do, what to do[/Doctor Cox] :huh:

Well I'm going to lose against Tim, I'm going to win on Oa and I'm probably going to lose against Ari. If you win every match until the end you're definetely going to take 2nd place right?

It's a shame Who's against an ownerless team this week, so he doesn't have to do anything to win.

Personally, I think if he doesn't reclaim his team by the end of the regular season, you should get his playoff spot even if he's still ahead in the standings. I'd hate to see a no-show for a playoff match.

Well, if he misses a third week (which I think he has), he can't reclaim his team.

Well, then you should definitely get his playoff spot.

Anyway, this is his last week against an ownerless team and thus presumably his last win, so as long as you win two of the last three you're ahead of him in the standings. In fact, your last match is against Who?, so basically that means beat Harl this week or Gog next week and you're set.

I'm really sorry about ths, I've just had a ton of work dropped into my lap unexpectedly and I won't be able to do anything this week. It's my own fault for waiting till the last second as usual.

Just so you know, my gimmick idea would've been to do a video or a powerpoint write-up :D but I'll save it for the match on Oa because I have to spend some time on it. I'm really sorry Tim. maybe I'll post like a paragraph or something after I get home tonight but I doubt it, after ten hours in front of the computer you couldn't pay me to turn it on again.

I sympathize ... work has been kicking my butt lately too. I don't know if I'm ever going to get around to fleshing out my reg battles like I said I would -- maybe I'll add a little tonight, but if you're not doing anything I might not bother.

For what it's worth, I think a Powerpoint writeup would be pretty awesome. :woot:

The Immortals vs Last Chancers - like the little snippet info bit at the end too about the new character
Deadly Dozen vs Deadpool's Harem

The Immortals
Deadpool's Har-...

Dammit, I just can't do it! :(

Deadly Dozen

Tim's got a powerful team, but it's a real shame LV couldn't get up a writeup. Although, in such an open area, Deadpool would probably just stand around and stare at all the hot chicks fighting, making this a 5-4 match right off the bat.

Ahura put up good counters to the Chancers strengths. Although turning Hulk into Bruce is a little cheap, I'll forgive him this time since he didn't have the heart to take down his favorite character. ;) Weakling. :cmad: :p

Voting is now over.
Final Results:

The Immortals 5
Last Chancers 0

The Deadly Dozen 4
Deadpool's Harem 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"