DTL Season 5-Week 12 (Set 2)

DTL Commish

DTL Commisioner
Reaction score
The rules:
This is one of four threads containing matches.
Due to the holiday, these threads will be in use for 9 days. Days 1-4 (Feb 15 - Feb 18) are strictly setup time for owners to plead their cases, tell us their team’s strategies, breakdown the match ups, and do whatever else they can/want to do to try and convince you that their team would pull out a victory. Please, let the owners do this on their own with no help.

On Day 5 (Feb 19) I will post and tell everyone that voting may begin. Any votes cast before I open voting will not count. Look over the matchups and read the strategies, and take into consideration how in-character each character is. Afterwards, use your best judgment to decide who you think has the best chance to win the match. (Note: The length of a writeup the discretion of the owner. Do not punish owners just for having a shorter writeup.)

To vote, post the team names you think will prevail in each match. Remember to vote for all matches or your vote will not count! The teams with the highest vote total at the end of the 9th day (Feb 23) will get a W while the other will get an L. (Equal votes will result in a tie.)

The battleground for this week is: Oa

Deadpool's Harem
Thordis (MU) - god-like speed, reflexes, strength, and durability. Powers granted by Mjolnir
Wonder Woman (DU) - Immortal being with superhuman strength, speed, stamina, agility, and durability
Byakko (DM) - Wraith like being, able to turn herself and others intangible, disrupts electronic devices, controls gravity
Deadpool (MR) - enhanced agility, reflexes, healing factor. Paraphenelia: image inducer, teleporter
Duke of Oil (DR) - Powerful cyborg limbs, control of devices

VS.

Mistress Gluon*
Abomination (MU)
Hyperion (eXiles) (MU)
Warbird (eXiles) (MM)
Deathstroke (DR)
Bullseye (MR)

The Deadly Dozen
Hadrian (Daemonite) (DU) -- teleportation, energy blasts/shields, superstength/speed/durability, regeneration, invisibility, flight
Magneto (Pre-Fatal Attractions) (MM) -- controls metals and electromagnetism
Invisible Woman (Malice) (MM) - invisibility, forcefields
Darkchylde (Inferno) (MR) -- teleportation, minor sorcery, magic-disrupting Soulsword
Deadman (DR) -- invisible, intangible ghost who possesses others

VS.

Last Chancers*
Hulk (MU)
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) (DU)
Wolverine (MR)
Wild Child (MR)
Husk (MR)

composite91c2.JPG

The Deadly Dozen
Hadrian (Daemonite) (DU) -- teleportation, energy blasts/shields, superstength/speed/durability, regeneration, invisibility, flight
Magneto (Pre-Fatal Attractions) (MM) -- controls metals and electromagnetism
Invisible Woman (Malice) (MM) - invisibility, forcefields
Darkchylde (Inferno) (MR) -- teleportation, minor sorcery, magic-disrupting Soulsword
Deadman (DR) -- invisible, intangible ghost who possesses others

vs

Last Chancers*
Hulk (MU)
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) (DU)
Wolverine (MR)
Wild Child (MR)
Husk (MR)

Prep-Time

No descriptions from my opponent, which means my team gets to know everything. Normally, this would be a good thing. But as Hadrian peruses the files on each of our foes, his expression grows sourer and sourer. "A Green Lantern . . . on the Lantern Corps homeworld."

"I'm sure it's nothing we can't handle," Magneto confidently declares.

"You weren't there the last time," answers Hadrian. The android tells Magneto how the last time he faced a Green Lantern (in week 5), he ended up getting fried by an electromagnetic pulse -- leading to the Deadly Dozen's sole loss of the season.

Magneto smiles. "No, I wasn't there last time. And that, my cybernetic friend, is why you have nothing to worry about."

Battle
As the battle begins, my team doesn't wait for their opponents to find them. Instead, Hadrian teleports himself, Magneto and Malice into space. (Hadrian doesn't need air to survive, and Magneto and Malice are protected by their respective forcefields.) Malice makes herself and Magneto invisible. Next, Hadrian teleports Hal Jordan into position in front of him. (Hal may have made himself invisible to try to get the drop on his opponents, but it makes no difference. Hadrian doesn't need to know where you are to teleport you.)

Hal reacts with the speed of thought, launching the most sensible attack when facing an android like Hadrian -- a technology-destroying electromagnetic pulse. What he doesn't know is that the invisible Magneto is positioned right between the two of them. Magneto sucks the electromagnetic energy right into himself, shielding Hadrian from the pulse and augmenting his own power. Hal doesn't get a second chance to attack, as Hadrian teleports the ring right off the Green Lantern's hand, leaving him powerless.
This evil, Daemonite-possessed version of Hadrian won't care that the freezing, airless environment will kill Hal almost immediately. And even almost immediately isn't enough for Malice, who impales the helpless Green Lantern on an invisible spike.

Disallowed from attacking the regs and unable to locate the ubers, the earth-bound Hulk has had no choice but to stand around and wait for my heavy-hitters to show themselves. Now his wait is over, as Hadrian teleports him into space. Floating in low-gravity, Hulk is basically helpless, and is hit by a blast of energy from Hadrian (or of magnetic force from Magneto, of an invisible blow from Malice, take your pick), which sends him flying off into space, away from the planet Oa.

Back on the ground, Deadman has possessed Husk, which is why she doesn't even try to dodge as Darkchylde opens a portal beneath her, teleporting her 30 feet up in the air. "Wildchild, help!" Deadman yells through Husk's voice as she falls. Thinking his teammate has panicked, Wildchild tries to catch her, but at the last second Husk rips off her skin to reveal a body of solid stone, which slams into Wildchild and knocks him out.

Meanwhile, Wolverine has gone after Darkchylde. Maybe he catches her with his claws, maybe she succeeds in teleporting away, who cares? As soon as Magneto comes back to earth he lifts Wolverine up by his metal skeleton, and holds him in place while Malice drives an invisible spike through his heart. She thinks they've won, but Magneto isn't taking any chances. He gestures for her to maintain the attack, and she does, keeping the forcefield spike in place and preventing his heart from healing. Not wanting to allienate Deadman, who might protest this cruelty, Malice makes the whole scene invisible, and Hadrian pretends he's simply teleported Wolverine away.

The blood stops flowing through Logan's body, depriving his cells of oxygen. Only once he's sure that complete cell-death has been achieved does Magneto signal Malice to stop.

Do I even need to say it? Deadly Dozen win

Deadpool's Harem vs. Mistress Gluon

Deadly Dozen vs. Last Chancers - Well Tim i was seconds away from clicking a vote against you on this purely on Lineups and to behonest im still not wholey convinced your team could take this battle. Especially with Hal Jordan to face. The guy could quite easily absorb more energy from the planets core and that EMP that he sent out would and could have been more than just an EMP and go on to do damage to all those in the air at the time.

but luckily for you there is noone to contest the battle and as such you managed to convince me....just

Nightwing said:
Well Tim i was seconds away from clicking a vote against you on this purely on Lineups and to behonest im still not wholey convinced your team could take this battle. Especially with Hal Jordan to face. The guy could quite easily absorb more energy from the planets core and that EMP that he sent out would and could have been more than just an EMP and go on to do damage to all those in the air at the time.

but luckily for you there is noone to contest the battle and as such you managed to convince me....just
Hey, I'd have done more if I was in a contested battle. :)

But that said, I think I'm being generous in saying Hal would get off an EMP at all before Hadrian disarmed him. Android reflexes beat human resources. But since 4 out of 6 voters bought Kyle doing it in week 5, I figured I had to assume he would. Hence, Magneto.

As far as Hal absorbing more power, there's only so much he can absorb from the central power battery before making himself too uber. Regardless, magneto can absorb electromagnetic energy. That's how he got his powerup in Fatal Attractions, by being "immersed in the Earth's magnetic field." So if Hal fires a stronger EMP, that's just more for Magneto to absorb. This could bump Magneto up to uber, but I still have a legal lineup even if Magneto is bumped up.

Another way my team could play the fight: make Hadrian the invisible one instead of Magneto. Maybe Hal would realize Hadrian was there from the fact that he was teleported, but more likely he'd just attack the person in front of him, namely Magneto. First, it's a natural gut reaction, and second, he's never faced Magneto and has no way of knowing Mags doesn't have some undisclosed teleportational ability. And in the time it takes Hal to mount that one attack, that gives Hadrian all the time he needs to teleport away Hal's ring and leave him helpless. Magneto would go along with the plan, because he'd know his forcefield only needs to hold Hal off for a second to make it work -- and he's held off some pretty massive attacks before.

It's also worth noting that Hal is the only one on the Last Chancers team that's a threat to mine at all. Even if Hadrian goes down, Darkchylde can readily take Hulk out by opening a portal under him and dropping him into orbit. She'd be able to get close enough to do it without Hulk tearing her apart because Malice could make her invisible. And Magneto could easily beat Wolverine, Wild Child, and Husk by himself, as could Malice.

I'll vote for Deadpool's Harem. I think she has an advantage at the reg and medium end (especially since Byakko can phase the weapons out of Deathstroke and Bullseye's hands). With the ubers, I think it's a bit more evenly matched. Hyperion's a beast, but Wonder Woman can match him, and Thordis has more versatility than Abomination even though Abomination is probably stronger (especially if this is the version of Abomination that had double Hulk's base strength.) So overall I think LV's team has the edge.

Plus, LV will probably get a writeup up eventually, and Mistress Gluon definitely won't.

Hey, I'd have done more if I was in a contested battle. :)

But that said, I think I'm being generous in saying Hal would get off an EMP at all before Hadrian disarmed him. Android reflexes beat human resources. But since 4 out of 6 voters bought Kyle doing it in week 5, I figured I had to assume he would. Hence, Magneto.

As far as Hal absorbing more power, there's only so much he can absorb from the central power battery before making himself too uber. Regardless, magneto can absorb electromagnetic energy. That's how he got his powerup in Fatal Attractions, by being "immersed in the Earth's magnetic field." So if Hal fires a stronger EMP, that's just more for Magneto to absorb. This could bump Magneto up to uber, but I still have a legal lineup even if Magneto is bumped up.

Another way my team could play the fight: make Hadrian the invisible one instead of Magneto. Maybe Hal would realize Hadrian was there from the fact that he was teleported, but more likely he'd just attack the person in front of him, namely Magneto. First, it's a natural gut reaction, and second, he's never faced Magneto and has no way of knowing Mags doesn't have some undisclosed teleportational ability. And in the time it takes Hal to mount that one attack, that gives Hadrian all the time he needs to teleport away Hal's ring and leave him helpless. Magneto would go along with the plan, because he'd know his forcefield only needs to hold Hal off for a second to make it work -- and he's held off some pretty massive attacks before.

It's also worth noting that Hal is the only one on the Last Chancers team that's a threat to mine at all. Even if Hadrian goes down, Darkchylde can readily take Hulk out by opening a portal under him and dropping him into orbit. She'd be able to get close enough to do it without Hulk tearing her apart because Malice could make her invisible. And Magneto could easily beat Wolverine, Wild Child, and Husk by himself, as could Malice.

Wouldnt this make him uber? I fail to see how a guy who can manipulate both metal and other materials just by using static, whilst also absorbing electromagnetic energy (which he could absorb from any location to boost his power) would only be medium.

If i remember correctly Mags used to be uber...and not only does he have this power to manipulate static but he is also pretty much immune to telepathy without his helmet...and this is against uber level telepaths.

I'll vote for Deadpool's Harem. I think she has an advantage at the reg and medium end (especially since Byakko can phase the weapons out of Deathstroke and Bullseye's hands). With the ubers, I think it's a bit more evenly matched. Hyperion's a beast, but Wonder Woman can match him, and Thordis has more versatility than Abomination even though Abomination is probably stronger (especially if this is the version of Abomination that had double Hulk's base strength.) So overall I think LV's team has the edge.

Plus, LV will probably get a writeup up eventually, and Mistress Gluon definitely won't.

I am not arguing against the vote but to clarify things regarding Thordis. She is a class 75 not class 100 like Thor. She is more versatile then Abomination but significantly weaker who starts at class 200.

That said I vote for:

Deadpool's Harem
Deadly Dozen

I didn't know that about Thordis. Thanks for the info. (Especially useful since I might have to face LV in the playoffs.)

Nightwing said:
Wouldnt this make him uber? I fail to see how a guy who can manipulate both metal and other materials just by using static, whilst also absorbing electromagnetic energy (which he could absorb from any location to boost his power) would only be medium.

If i remember correctly Mags used to be uber...and not only does he have this power to manipulate static but he is also pretty much immune to telepathy without his helmet...and this is against uber level telepaths.
The current Magneto is an uber. But he got an official powerup in the early '90s when he was resurrected for the Fatal Attractions storyline. I successfully argued that pre-Fatal Attractions Magneto was a medium, because he doesn't have the same high-end feats of the current Magneto.

As for absorbing electromagnetic energy, what's the big deal? Bishop can absorb EM energy, and he's a reg. Numerous other regs can as well. If Mags amped himself up too much he'd be an uber, but it doesn't matter sicne I have two mediums on my lineup. In other words, I'm allowed to amp him up to uber if I want to.

Plus, for the purposes of my writeup all Magneto really has to do is steer the EMP around them (like parting the sea), which there's no question he could do. Being "Master of Magnetism" doesn't just mean he went to magnetism grad school for two years. ;)

Deadpool's Harem
Thordis (MU) - god-like speed, reflexes, strength, and durability. Powers granted by Mjolnir
Wonder Woman (DU) - Immortal being with superhuman strength, speed, stamina, agility, and durability
Byakko (DM) - Wraith like being, able to turn herself and others intangible, disrupts electronic devices, controls gravity
Deadpool (MR) - enhanced agility, reflexes, healing factor. Paraphenelia: image inducer, teleporter
Duke of Oil (DR) - Powerful cyborg limbs, control of devices

VS.

Mistress Gluon*
Abomination (MU)
Hyperion (eXiles) (MU)
Warbird (eXiles) (MM)
Deathstroke (DR)
Bullseye (MR)

Prep time

Deadpool: I don't think I should've had that Double Mint Soy Latte last night.
Wonder Woman: Why?
Deadpool: Everything is so green...
Wonder Woman: That's because everything IS green.
Deadpool: Really?
Wonder Woman: Really.
Deadpool: Even your underwear?
Wonder Woman: no, my underwear is pi...*scowl*
*Smack*
Deadpool: Wooooh... I see little w's flating around my head.

Duke Of Oil: Settle down y'all, or I'm cummin over there and give you an ol' fashion whuppin. I ain't kiddin. Now *spits oil into a can* wha' we gonna do about these hurh old biddies cuz this fight's got me plumb bumfuzzled.

Byakko: I only recognize Deathstroke. He's a great warrior from my universe. He has no honor.
Wonder Woman: Yes, Slade Wilson is one of the,,,
Deadpool: Wait a second... What did you call him?
Wonder Woman: Slade Wilson.
Deadpool: Zoinks. Slade Wilson... Wade Wilson... What if... what if?
Duke o' oil: WHA? Spit it out man.
Deadpool: What if I found my daddy?
Wonder Woman: Wade... your father is dead. Remember? Issue 19? He died in a bar.
Deadpoo: ... Nevermind.
Duke of Oil: I'll take One Eye. The fella with the bullseye on his figure is going to our Wilson. I reckon he's a pretty easy target.
Deadpool: Stop it. You're killing me.
Duke of Oil: An android can dream...
Deadpool: of electric sheep I'm sure.
Duke of Oil: Misses Byakko. I'm trustin you can phase their doohickeys out of their most capable hands, caint'ya?
Byakko: Yes, I can.
Duke o oil: Thank ya kindly.

Byakko: I will fight the Warbird. She seems like a worthy opponent.

Thordis: That leaves these bad boys to us, Hyperion and Abomination to us. I'll take Abomination. I got a few ideas on how to handle him.

Wonder Woman: That leaves this Hyperion to me.

Duke o' oil: Is that it? Hoo-ey. Let's get dem critters!

TBC

Deadpool's Harem
Deadly Dozen

Decent writeups against onwerless teams. Good enough for me. :up:

Voting is now over.
Final Results.

Deadpool's Harem 5
Mistriss Gluon 0

The Deadly Dozen 5
Last Chancers 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online