Dumb moments in good movies

Bruce's magic knee brace that instantly heals his no cartilage knee!

No limp or anything.

That is essentially what happened. There was an immediate mass evacuation of the city on the spot in response to Joker's broadcasted TV threat after he made good on his threat to blow up the hospital. So they just started loading people and prisoners onto the ferries to get out of Gotham A.S.A.P.

Gordon mentioned that to the Mayor about getting the prisoners out of there pronto because he figured what ever Joker had planned involved Harvey's prisoners. You also saw the streets crammed with cars and people. Gordon even said it was backed up for hours. It was literally mass panic.

So yeah not doing an inspection or check on the engine room in such a situation is completely plausible. Same with the hospital. Explosives can be smuggled in garbage bags. Boxes. Medical bags. Any number of containers that go in and out of hospitals etc. Easy to do. It's not like he was placing bombs in the White House lol.

I work in the transportation industry. I don't buy for a Gotham City second that it would happen that way. Especially if you have law enforcement running around all over the place. Commercial operators are really paranoid about that kind of stuff. Always worried they'll get their licenses suspended or revoked. When cops are around you definitely play it by the book since that's your livelihood you're risking.

I work in the transportation industry. I don't buy for a Gotham City second that it would happen that way. Especially if you have law enforcement running around all over the place. Commercial operators are really paranoid about that kind of stuff. Always worried they'll get their licenses suspended or revoked. When cops are around you definitely play it by the book since that's your livelihood you're risking.

Have you ever worked in a situation where an entire city was being evacuated on the spot due to terrorist threats? Are the transport people worried about their protocol in life and death situations like that?

It's like saying people's cars were being checked to see if their road tax and insurance was up to date as they were evacuating the city lol. It was a disaster situation where even the National Guard was called in.

Have you ever worked in a situation where an entire city was being evacuated on the spot due to terrorist threats? Are the transport people worried about their protocol in life and death situations like that?

It's like saying people's cars were being checked to see if their road tax and insurance was up to date as they were evacuating the city lol. It was a disaster situation where even the National Guard was called in.

Of course not. It doesn't change anything. And your comparison isn't even close to valid. That's regular civilians, not DOT regulated professionals. I reiterate, unless it was something like Metropolis getting pounded in MoS they would have checked. And the threat wasn't even close to that imminent. They have to fill out a damn form/log book and sign it by law. It's a federal document. It's not something they would have just not done. Maybe they would have rushed it, but even a rush job would have caught the fact that their engine room was full of explosives. Hell, on a vehicle that size someone needs to be down there at all times just to make the ferries run.

Of course not. It doesn't change anything. And your comparison isn't even close to valid. That's regular civilians, not DOT regulated professionals. I reiterate, unless it was something like Metropolis getting pounded in MoS they would have checked. And the threat wasn't even close to that imminent.

Yes, it was. Or it was being treated that way after a hospital just got bombed.

They have to fill out a damn form/log book and sign it by law. It's a federal document. It's not something they would have just not done. Maybe they would have rushed it, but even a rush job would have caught the fact that their engine room was full of explosives.

Says who? Have you been in a situation like this before? Have you seen how a situation like this has been handled yourself?

I don't believe for a second that they'd go through all that hoopla just to dot some eyes and cross some teas for a document in a situation like that. No way.

Hell, on a vehicle that size someone needs to be down there at all times just to make the ferries run.

Unless the engine has a fault you don't need to be down there all the time. They had literally just left the dock when Joker made his threat known and they went to the engine room.

Do you or have you ever worked in the transportation industry? Because unless you do you are speaking from a place of ignorance.

If you say so. But in a situation of emergency where millions of people are being rushed out of a city post haste in response to a serious threat, common sense says they would dispense with formality documentation stuff like that and just start the evacuation.

Not really. In fact they'd be more inclined to closely check the ship in a pretrip inspection under those circumstances. Last thing they want would be to develop engine trouble mid-river because Bob was too lazy or busy to make sure the oil was filled.

If you say so. But in a situation of emergency where millions of people are being rushed out of a city post haste in response to a serious threat, common sense says they would dispense with formality documentation stuff like that and just start the evacuation.

Not really. In fact they'd be more inclined to closely check the ship in a pretrip inspection under those circumstances. Last thing they want would be to develop engine trouble mid-river because Bob was too lazy or busy to make sure the oil was filled.

I imagine a check of the ship takes what? Half an hour? An hour? It would take at least that long to load everyone on board- espeically in the chaos of several thousand other people trying to get on at the same time. Though I don't (and never have) work in any kind of transportation, it seems to me that if there was a terrorist running around who's both known to and is currently threatening to blow things up, the officials would (as kedrell mentioned) be even more likely to check the ship. And it's not like this was some C4 hidden in a closest, no one is going to miss 50 barrels laid out in plain sight. Hell, even if they didn't do the checks someone would have found them by accident.

Ok, then consider this: the movie bends over backwards to tell us there's corruption everywhere in Gotham. People in Dent's office, the Cops, Judges etc. Several of the ship crew could have been on the take to stash that stuff down there, give some cock and bull story that the engine room was a-ok, and then high tailed it before the ship left the dock.

Try and tell me that scenario is impossible.

Ok, then consider this: the movie bends over backwards to tell us there's corruption everywhere in Gotham. People in Dent's office, the Cops, Judges etc. Several of the ship crew could have been on the take to stash that stuff down there, give some cock and bull story that the engine room was a-ok, and then high tailed it before the ship left the dock.

The Joker, I've been saying this for quite some time. It's like people forget that the mob has numerous people paid off and working for them. Gotham is supposed to be the most corrupt and dirty city in the country, maybe even the world. Some people want the director/s to film scenes for every little thing I guess.

"He is kind of hot" in MOS. Dumb unnecessary moment.

I agree! I've seen the movie twice and both times that line did get a few chuckles out of the audience, but it was really, really stupid. Not only was it dumb but that girl's delivery was pretty terrible.

There you go, that's an explanation I can buy. Much better than "They didn't check for bombs because there was terrorist bomber on the loose."

First off, I never said ANY of this was impossible. I don't know where you got that from. Rather it's highly improbable. Actually it's one highly improbable thing after another and another and another with the movie but I'll just stick back with the Ferries. So we're assuming your scenario is how it all went down. Ok, in order for that to happen you'd need those ferry crew guys to carry the bombs made of a hundred 55 gallon barrels down into each ship without being noticed by anyone in a city already on high alert; have those guys know how to rig up explosives; have absolutely no one else in the ferry crews go down to the engine rooms and trust that these guys who left all of a sudden before the ferries departed did the inspections that they were supposed to do(wouldn't that seem a little suspicious?); and have none of the cops and other law enforcement on board do even a minimal once over check. Keep in mind that none of the people on the ferry crews or the LEO's who were actually on the ships when they left could be in on it or on the take unless you expect me to believe that these people are so corrupt and greedy that they'd commit intentional suicide if the price was right.

That's a helluva lot of coincidences.

The Joker, I've been saying this for quite some time. It's like people forget that the mob has numerous people paid off and working for them. Gotham is supposed to be the most corrupt and dirty city in the country, maybe even the world. Some people want the director/s to film scenes for every little thing I guess.

The Gotham City they have shown us in the film isn't like it's Baghdad or something. It's modern day Chicago. I could buy such corrupt chaos in Baghdad after the invasion. But Gotham's corruption doesn't seem like it extends beyond those who would likely be targeted by it, the criminal justice system and political infrastructure, not the plebeians driving the buses and ferries. If you want me to believe it's the most corrupt city blah, blah, blah then you actually have to show it. The city I saw on film is basically like 1970's NYC. A very corrupt time in that city's history. Just watch American Gangster. But even there this whole thing just wouldn't work.

In Batman Begins I might have bought it since seeing stuff like what the Narrows looked like(nothing but squalor) sold it well. But there's nothing like that in TDK.

I imagine a check of the ship takes what? Half an hour? An hour? It would take at least that long to load everyone on board- espeically in the chaos of several thousand other people trying to get on at the same time. Though I don't (and never have) work in any kind of transportation, it seems to me that if there was a terrorist running around who's both known to and is currently threatening to blow things up, the officials would (as kedrell mentioned) be even more likely to check the ship. And it's not like this was some C4 hidden in a closest, no one is going to miss 50 barrels laid out in plain sight. Hell, even if they didn't do the checks someone would have found them by accident.

Probably between 15 minutes to a half an hour. I know it takes me 15 minutes to pre-trip my truck and trailer. But I'm just one guy and not a crew of half a dozen guys.

:up:

There you go, that's an explanation I can buy. Much better than "They didn't check for bombs because there was terrorist bomber on the loose."

Actually what I said was it was because of a city wide evacuation due to a terrorist threat :cwink: But I'm glad you're happy with the alternative explanation lol.

First off, I never said ANY of this was impossible. I don't know where you got that from. Rather it's highly improbable.

Oh for god's sake you're buying into a concept that a millionaire can dress as a bat and fight crime. Sneaking some barrels on board a ship is a drop in the ocean in the probability/reality stakes.

As for sneaking them on board unnoticed, that depends when he did it. He could have had it arranged the night before. He obviously was expecting people to flee by ships because he said "the bridge and tunnel crowd are sure in for a surprise". He was scaring them into leaving Gotham by boat.

Even for argument's sake, lets say he did do it during the day. Got the barrels on board I mean. He could have disguised them as fuel drums. Then had his men rig them up once they were stashed in the engine room.

As for your assertion that Gotham never seemed that corrupt. It was rife with corruption. Ra's even said it was so bad that he had managed to infiltrate every level of it's infrastructure. It had not changed in TDK. The only difference was criminals were getting scared of Batman. So buying off a few ship crew is nothing.

As for your assertion that Gotham never seemed that corrupt. It was rife with corruption. Ra's even said it was so bad that he had managed to infiltrate every level of it's infrastructure. It had not changed in TDK.

I was just about to respond with almost the exact thing as you.

Nolan's Batman films aren't perfect(look at TDKR) but some people tear them apart more than the other comic films out there.

It reminds me of the complaint about joker driving a bus out of the bank in broad daylight. Some people *****ed that no one was calling the cops about the bus. I'm sure they were, it's just that Nolan's not stupid enough to waste time filming a few extras grabbing their cell phones with shock in their eyes.

Nolan's Batman films aren't perfect(look at TDKR) but some people tear them apart more than the other comic films out there.

Well they do take themselves more seriously than any other comic book franchise. I'd say that when you do that you're just begging for even further scrutiny.

Oh for god's sake, you're buying into a concept that a billionaire can dress as a bat and fight crime. Sneaking some barrels on board a ship is a drop in the ocean in the probability/reality stakes.

A person accepts this before they even walk into the theater. It's up front about it and is the central conceit of the movie. If you can't get passed that then why even see the movie at all?

As for sneaking them on board unnoticed, that depends when he did it. He could have had it arranged the night before. He obviously was expecting people to flee by ships because he said "the bridge and tunnel crowd are sure in for a surprise". He was scaring them into leaving Gotham by boat.

Even for argument's sake, lets say he did do it during the day. Got the barrels on board I mean. He could have disguised them as fuel drums. Then had his men rig them up once they were stashed in the engine room.

I never mentioned daylight. In a city that size it'd be implausible day or night. And I don't think anyone uses fuel drums anymore. Drums nowadays are pretty much used for transporting crude oil to places where they can't or haven't run a pipeline to.

As for your assertion that Gotham never seemed that corrupt. It was rife with corruption. Ra's even said it was so bad that he had managed to infiltrate every level of it's infrastructure. It had not changed in TDK. The only difference was criminals were getting scared of Batman. So buying off a few ship crew is nothing.

Ra's was talking about Begins's Gotham city which had parts that looked like they belonged in the 3rd world. Nothing like that at all in TDK.

Ra's was talking about Begins's Gotham city which had parts that looked like they belonged in the 3rd world. Nothing like that at all in TDK.

At the end of Batman Begins the corruption was just as bad as before and that carries over to TDK. He just stopped Ra's plan to destroy the city. It wasn't until TDK where he was going after the root of the problem which was the mob.

The city's corruption was the same in both BB and TDK, it's just in TDK Nolan had way more scenes in the big city/downtown part of Gotham which of course is going to look nicer than an area like the narrows. The corruption The Joker and I are talking about in regards to how they rigged the hospital or the ferries with bombs is the mob element. Paying off cops and politicians, that kind of corruption is all over the city and doesn't just exist in the dirtier looking parts of Gotham.

So yes, TDK made Gotham seemingly look like a visually clean city, but that wasn't supposed to represent the crime element dropping.

Both The Joker's plots in TDK and Silva's in Skyfall rely on an impossible avalanche of perfect timing at every turn.

Batman Begins' third act gets corny, and Gordon driving the Tumbler is too slap-sticky.

In the Matrix, someone else needs to plug you in or out of the Matrix, right?

So who the hell was plugging in Cypher at night when he was meeting with the Agents??

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"