Guardians of the Galaxy Early Guardians of the Galaxy Box Office Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll be building up to Avengers 3 but in the overall grand scheme of things, it's pretty separate from the current state of the Avengers franchise. It won't be building up to Age of Ultron the way the other Phase 2 Marvel films have, and doesn't star any actual Avengers.

And come on, it's a movie that stars a bunch of heroes that no one has ever heard of including a talking raccoon and a talking tree that can only say "I am Groot." This was a leap and Disney's marketing team along with the cast and crew for making a very high quality movie deserve a lot of credit for not only making this work successfully, but making it huge. One wrong step (whether it be bad marketing or a bad movie) and it could have fallen apart.

MCU is the franchise not The Avengers. Avengers is part of t. GoTG is part of it too. I clearly said GoTG would be in Avengers 3. AOU i didnt mention.You missunderstood although i cant understand why u did that.

Like other comic book movies arent weird right ? Come on a guy who wears dresses like a bat and beats the hell out of alien gods ? would you fall for that ? All superhero movies are weird. Sci-fi too . What makes GoTG unreal ? i dont see that as a leap. I cant really see how this movie could have gone the wrong way when we started to get intel on it.All the way till now it seemed to be doing just fine.Im guessing same will be with all the next properties. Marvel simply cannot bomb. If Iron Man 2 didnt nor will the rest that follow.

Just finished watching it at the matinee and it was so packed that I had to sit in the front freaking row! :argh: But the movie was freaking amazing! Marvel is showing other studios how to do comic book movies. Thanos is amazing! :wow:

MCU is the franchise not The Avengers. Avengers is part of t. GoTG is part of it too. I clearly said GoTG would be in Avengers 3. AOU i didnt mention.You missunderstood although i cant understand why u did that.

Like other comic book movies arent weird right ? Come on a guy who wears dresses like a bat and beats the hell out of alien gods ? would you fall for that ? All superhero movies are weird. Sci-fi too . What makes GoTG unreal ? i dont see that as a leap. I cant really see how this movie could have gone the wrong way when we started to get intel on it.All the way till now it seemed to be doing just fine.Im guessing same will be with all the next properties. Marvel simply cannot bomb. If Iron Man 2 didnt nor will the rest that follow.

Well that's just you. In 2012 everyone was saying this was a ridiculous idea and would be Marvel's first flop. People were saying a talking racoon and tree were stupid. This was a risk for Marvel. Even a week ago people were predicting like 65 million OW. Now it will open close to 100 million probably.

Per RTH early Friday estimates is 39-43 million. Boom. Looking at possible 100 OW guys!

Per RTH early Friday estimates is 39-43 million. Boom. Looking at possible 100 OW guys!

Hell yeah, that's awesome! I hope this movie breaks records in every department it can. Truly on the best films of the year and on of the top CBMs ever

Woah! He's usually pretty good with the estimates. Pretty much better at these than anyone else I've seen.

Good golly-wolly!

I haven't been around these parts much, I haven't seen all of the ads and experienced the online hype, but I knew from the interest of the average folks around me that GOTG was going to do far better than the rosiest predictions of fansites. Over the past month I've heard people ranging from little kids to grandmothers chattering about this film. It's tapping into the same demographic motherlode as The Avengers, Iron Man 3 and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. A broad swath of the general audience is excited about Guardians of the Galaxy and they're the ones thronging the multiplexes and breaking records.

There are fans who dismiss Marvel films as lightweight fare that appeals to the lowest commonh denominator, but in actual fact the studio has managed to tap into the popular zeitgeist in an extraordinary way. Kevin Feige is following a path forged by Sam Warner and Louis B. Mayer, those titans of American cinema in the early 20th Century. Under Feige's careful guidance, Marvel Studios gives the moviegoing public exactly what it wants, even when the public doesn't yet know that they want it yet.

Well as Alan Moore once said(and I'm para-phrasing here): It’s not the job of the artist to give the audience what the audience wants....It is the job of the artist to give the audience what they need. So in order to do that the artist needs to know what is needed before the audience does.

tumblr_n9nhaqmGmO1rrkahjo2_500.gif

I was hearing a lot of doubt from folks on the web about how successful this film was going to be. I knew it was going to be a huge box office hit from the day it was announced. I take my hat off to Marvel for pulling this galactic rabbit out of the hat!

Last edited:
He does look awesome huh? I can't believe this movie it cost less than $200M to make. It looked amazing!

He does look awesome huh? I can't believe this movie it cost less than $200M to make. It looked amazing!

It really is one of the best, if not the best looking movie's I have ever seen!

Seriously can't believe that either. Such a gorgeous movie and the post-converted 3D was probably the best I've seen of any movie. There were a couple times when things were flying at me that I flinched and/or blinked.

Well as Alan Moore once said(and I'm para-phrasing here): It’s not the job of the artist to give the audience what the audience wants....It is the job of the artist to give the audience what they need. So in order to do that the artist needs to know what is needed before the audience does.

Curioulsy enough, thats exactly what Joss Whedon once said, many years ago, about Buffy... Give them what they need, not what they want.

If TMNT isnt absolutely rock-solid its going to be toast next weekend.

This is fantastic news and also, well deserved. :)

according to nikki finke, guardians is currently tracking to make 98m for the weekend!

Last edited:
I calling it: I think GOTG will be #1 two weeks in a row.

Not sure if it will win it but I see it being a 50/50 weekend where they are neck and neck and it could go either way. I'm just not pumped for TMNT at all.

according to nikki finke, guardians is currently tracking to make 98m for the weekend!

tumblr_n9nhaqmGmO1rrkahjo2_500.gif

I think we should just use this as the standard gif for good news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"