Edgar Wright Leaves Ant-Man!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

socool

True
Reaction score
The filmmaker and studio split “due to differences in their vision of the film”

Edgar Wright has left the Marvel Universe.

The “Cornetto Trilogy” and “Scott Pilgrim” director and the Disney-owned Marvel Studios announced in a joint statement that he has left the big screen adaptation of “Ant-Man,” which stars Paul Rudd.

“Marvel and Edgar Wright jointly announced today that the studio and director have parted ways on ANT-MAN due to differences in their vision of the film,” a statement read. “The decision to move on is amicable and does not impact the release date on July 17, 2015. A new director will be announced shortly.”

http://www.thewrap.com/edgar-wright-exits-marvels-ant-man/

WHAT.

Great, this'll go down well

He's been working on this since 2006 and now there's creative differences?

Sure, Marvel, sure...

Disappointed. Would have loved to have seen his version, especially considering he has been wanting to do it for years. I'm sure they'll replace him very well.

He's been working on this project since 2006 and now he leaves due to "Creative Difference?" Sure Marvel....

EDIT: Randal said the same thing :funny:

Oh oh oh, at least Rudd & Douglas are staying put for now. Let's hope they got a good director to replace him but this is so shady. After hearing that it didn't go well btw Taylor & Marvel with TDW, questions will be asked.....

But maybe his style is just too far removed from the rest of the MCU.

Well, Marvel had Black and Gunn, who's styles are pretty much unique to themselves, and there doesn't seem to be issues there.

Yeah, something went down. IDK about creative or what, but at least this isn't the only horse in Marvel's stable. It'll be interesting to see if Ant-Man's scrapped altogether and maybe they go with a different property (*ahem* BP/Captain Marvel*ahem*) later in '16 or so. Besides Doctor Strange.

This is massively disappointing. Edgar Wright and Ant-Man were my the dream team to kick off Phase 3. And now it's gone. Damn.

Hopefully this isn't another TDW-type situation. Marvel micromanaging to the point where they drive off several directors, and the micro-manage the actual director so that he was unable to make the best film that he could have otherwise.

Oh no. :(

Another incident on Marvel's list, and this one makes me unusually sad.

this is indeed sad news.. but it's also quite possible Wright wanted to do something that marvel just really did not want to budge on.

From a creative standpoint Marvel really sucks for directors... and really puts there creativity on a leash. But on the other side.. Marvel knows there characters well, and knows what grand story these little stories make when placed together. Each director really sees point A to B, but marvel is looking at these films seeing Point A to Z.

So i get both sides of these situations... it's not just "a small stand-alone" ultimately. Just a stepping stone to a greater story.

This does not bode well for the production, as I cannot recall any blockbusters whose directors left this far into production that turned out well. It is unfortunate; I do hope they find someone as equally talented to take his place, as I would hate for Ant-Man's long deserved cinematic debut to be scrapped.

this is indeed sad news.. but it's also quite possible Wright wanted to do something that marvel just really did not want to budge on.

From a creative standpoint Marvel really sucks for directors... and really puts there creativity on a leash. But on the other side.. Marvel knows there characters well, and knows what grand story these little stories make when placed together. Each director really sees point A to B, but marvel is looking at these films seeing Point A to Z.

So i get both sides of these situations... it's not just "a small stand-alone" ultimately. Just a stepping stone to a greater story.

Yeah but the problem with that is that it hurts the individual movies. As much as I love Marvel and what they've accomplished, that's the biggest drawback. How much better could IM 2, or TIH, or TDW have been if Marvel weren't so concerned with "world-building" and, I don't know, concentrated on telling a good/compelling story? My guess, quite a bit better.

That sucks. The dude has working on this before the MCU even existed. What sucks is we will never know the details until 2016 just like the Norton/Avengers situation.

He's been working on this since 2006 and now there's creative differences?

Sure, Marvel, sure...

They got tired of his BS probably. Left it in his hands for the script and he takes ****ing 7-8 years?! LOL

I don't think it'll be scrapped unless actors start leaving like it's a firesale. Who knows? Maybe they've got a hell of an a-lister on the back burner.

They got tired of his BS probably. Left it in his hands for the script and he takes ****ing 7-8 years?! LOL

They knew it was gonna take that long with everything else he had lined up.

I'd be doing the happy dance right now,but for the fact that the die is cast.Unless Marvel wanted to change the ending to be a time travel story,we're still getting old man Pym.

In any case,it shows that Marvel actually gives a semi-damn for the character's role in the MCU,so my interest has gone up a couple points.

Honestly, I'd rather them scrap Ant-Man and either move up Doctor Strange or just decide to do a Black Panther. I have no love for Ant-Man. I don't give a damn if he's a core Avenger, Pym or Lang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"