Edgar Wright Leaves Ant-Man!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Creative differences" my ass...more like

"Edgar Wright isn't a little ***** who will let Marvel push him around."

Its time for Marvel to let their directors breathe a little more and stop with the cookie cutter pre-fabricated formula BS.

They got tired of his BS probably. Left it in his hands for the script and he takes ****ing 7-8 years?! LOL

But the movie was happening at last, I love Marvel but the amount of replacements they have done is just ridiculous.

They knew it was gonna take that long with everything else he had lined up.

Two movies, not one every year or every other year, just two. Scott Pilgrim and The World's End, he had plenty of time to come up with a simple script in 4-5 years if you take away the time it probably took to make the two previously mentioned movies.

Yeah but the problem with that is that it hurts the individual movies. As much as I love Marvel and what they've accomplished, that's the biggest drawback. How much better could IM 2, or TIH, or TDW have been if Marvel weren't so concerned with "world-building" and, I don't know, concentrated on telling a good/compelling story? My guess, quite a bit better.

honestly... after Avengers was released... Iron Man 2 was a hell of a lot better...

Marvel is doing something VERY different from pretty much any other films in movie history... when in the past people just sort of viewed films as "Iron Man 1, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3" etc.. and thought those films would be stand alone, and that you wouldn't have to see any other film that might be related to completely grasp everything...

but instead, Marvel has taken all there films and serialized them. The origin films all of course stand alone, but rather then this being "Harry Potter 1, 2, 3, etc... its "the Marvel Cinematic Universe" where each film plays out like a television episode to a much bigger season.

Alot of people love it, and others still haven't caught on to this new way of handling things. It's funny how many people i heard (when cap 2 came out) "Do i need to see the first one? I've only seen the Avengers"

well.. that's fine and all.. but if you really want to fully appreciate the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier.... you really have to not only watch Captain America: The First Avenger (and the Avengers) but it'd also really help to watch Iron Man 1 and 2 to get a better handling of Shield, Howard Stark, and Black Widow.

you don't read the 6th book in a series without reading what came before it...

I don't think it'll be scrapped unless actors start leaving like it's a firesale. Who knows? Maybe they've got a hell of an a-lister on the back burner.

They're likely contracted.. and unless marvel disagrees with casting choices.. they're probably staying

This is really shocking news; mainly because of how long Wright has been invested in the project for so damn long. However, as disappointing as the news is, it's equally very interesting.

Why is Marvel being so horrible with directors? Jon Favreu, Alan Taylor and now Edgar Wright.

Sheeesh

Its time for Marvel to let their directors breathe a little more and stop with the cookie cutter pre-fabricated formula BS.
I'm sorry, Alexei, but this cookie cutter nonsense is nonsense

This does not bode well for the production, as I cannot recall any blockbusters whose directors left this far into production that turned out well. It is unfortunate; I do hope they find someone as equally talented to take his place, as I would hate for Ant-Man's long deserved cinematic debut to be scrapped.
Gone with the Wind? The Wizard of Oz?

marvolo I agree with you. Marvel Studios is not a place for directors who want their complete vision in the film. Hopefully Wright moves onto something else soon.

Two movies, not one every year or every other year, just two. Scott Pilgrim and The World's End, he had plenty of time to come up with a simple script in 4-5 years if you take away the time it probably took to make the two previously mentioned movies.

They didn't seem to be in any sort of rush though. They seemed fine with the time table.

In Marvel's defense (hmm, kinda), we can't lump Wright with Favreau and Taylor. We've seen those final products and can rightfully say "Marvel f***ed it up." With this, we have no idea what happened.

idk.. im fine with them doing the whole "cookie cutter pre-fabricated formula bs" because it's also whats given us a really great continuity... look at the X-men franchise.. it's full of lapses in logic, continuity errors, and a very diverse amount of films that range from being either Excellent, or completely horrid.

And that's for the fact they never sat down and planned any film out. They just concentrated on each film at hand.. and each director basically just did what they wanted, even if it meant bending our out right ignoring continuity.

Yep. MCU is like the studio system of old. The production company is the autuer, not the director. It's worked so far, but you are rarely going to get stand out films with yes-men directors.

Why is Marvel being so horrible with directors? Jon Favreu, Alan Taylor and now Edgar Wright.

Sheeesh

Fav's really isn't a logical complaint... considering he still has a very good relationship with Marvel

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

There goes all my excitement :(

Was definitely not expecting this since I thought they had already started shooting some things and he's been connected to the project for so long. Not sure what the prospects are for the director Marvel can hire at such a late date but it could also be the case that this has long been coming and is only now being released publicly by Marvel. From the press release, it sounds like Marvel has its sights on someone already and probably going through contract negotiations.

I am really sad about this news. I was really excited to see what Wright would bring to the table with Ant-Man. I really thought his directing style would be very cool with a character like Ant-Man.

I mean, I usually try to stay positive when there are news regarding directors and actors having beef with Marvel, but damn... Also, I know that some of you said that Marvel likes to have a lot of control, but what about directors like Whedon and the Russo brothers? I'm talking about before they made their respective successful movie.

Yeah, it was either dragging or wishful thinking: Wright was offered a Star Wars spin-off movie and it was either this or Ant-Man :D

This has to be gutting for him, working for so long on this, for nothing in a way (although it wasn't really for nothing, he probably learned a lot in the process)

They're likely contracted.. and unless marvel disagrees with casting choices.. they're probably staying

Oh I'm sure they're contracted, but I've got to imagine there's loopholes when something as major as a director leaves. I hope I'm wrong, but you see actors dropping out of films all the time.

marvolo I agree with you. Marvel Studios is not a place for directors who want their complete vision in the film. Hopefully Wright moves onto something else soon.

Rrrrrrrrright

210570-Untitled-1.jpg

Joss-Whedon.jpg

this is really funny (in a bad way) because I was just thinking yesterday that it's been way too quiet on this project considering it should start shooting in a couple weeks if not sooner

They had years to discuss this and now they say ''won't happen due to differences in their vision of the film''? I hope they keep the actors, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"