Elemental - Pixar's newest movie

It would suck if Disney ditches theatrical releases for future non-franchise Pixar movies because of this.
Feels like an unfortunate possibility given they’ve already scaled back on that front. Numbers like this can’t help either. :csad:

I thought the movie was fantastic, and I loved it. Charming characters and world. I think they could've fleshed out a few of the concepts and done a bit more, but I thought it was lovely.

People are sleeping on this movie, and it's unfortunate. I don't know if it's because of Disney devaluing the Pixar brand with the Disney+ streaming, the film getting shredded at Cannes, but I thought it was a great, imaginative film.

And then we complain and wonder why studios are only making sequels, reboots, or endless rehashes.

Once upon a time, Pixar film were events. Same way Marvel was in its prime. Hell, you went to see a Pixar film as much for the short before it (remember those?) as for the film itself. But in the Disney era, it seems like it’s just another cartoon.

The place where I had my “oh no” moment with Pixar was Coco. Don’t get me wrong, Coco is fantastic, one of the very best things the studio ever did. I went to see it opening weekend…and I found myself sitting through that like 45 minute Olaf thing beforehand and I wanted to shoot myself. Reception to that was so bad Disney pulled the Olaf crap in like week two but the damage was done. Pixar was now just part of the machine.

Then of course it became streaming first content during the pandemic and here we are.

Real shame if it’s over. Pixar had such an amazing run.

I believe Disney thought that giving away such a premium brand was a great lure for potential D+ subscribers but in the end it’s cheapened the brand to people.

Now as for the movie. This is pretty good. I feel like a lot of thought went into it especially how the elements react to each other and the environment around them. It’s a romance movie and I don’t think Pixar has done that before.

Pandemic really sucked but sticking everything on streaming was a disaster. And once lockdown was over, you had people wanting to get out and go back to the theaters. The numbers show this.

You cannibalized your premium products. Also, is streaming really raking in the revenue it was supposed to? Now you have studios writing off tons of content and shows, some of which was made for straight to streaming because the streamers are losing money.

Pandemic really sucked but sticking everything on streaming was a disaster. And once lockdown was over, you had people wanting to get out and go back to the theaters. The numbers show this.

You cannibalized your premium products. Also, is streaming really raking in the revenue it was supposed to? Now you have studios writing off tons of content and shows, some of which was made for straight to streaming because the streamers are losing money.

I think all streaming services run at a loss for a number of years but that loss is not helped when you put movies made for hundreds of millions on a 7.99 (at the time) service. It was just stupid. Heck I thought putting Frozen 2 on there early was stupid as well sure it had completed its theatrical box office run but it took away from the Blu-ray/dvd/digital market sales.

Disney was not prepared for the effects of entering the streaming market. 45 day window has impacted box office, Pixar’s brand has taken a hit, Feige is now clearly overwhelmed at Marvel having to produce tv shows and movies, I don’t watch Star Wars so I can’t say what it’s done to Lucas Film other than maybe delayed production on actual SW movies they’re pretty much LucasTV now.

Last edited:
Yeah I definitely think a lot of it is families deciding to wait and see it at home on streaming. It's a fun night out, but going to a movie as a family of four or five is expensive

Frankly, Pixar themselves are the ones to blame for this. Now, it may be a very unique story in actuality, but from the marketing? It feels like a reskin of a wide number of Disney/Pixar movies.

Frankly, Pixar themselves are the ones to blame for this. Now, it may be a very unique story in actuality, but from the marketing? It feels like a reskin of a wide number of Disney/Pixar movies.

I think that's more Disney's area isn't it?

In positive news it got an A cinemascore so legs should be decent.

I think all streaming services run at a loss for a number of years but that loss is not helped when you put movies made for hundreds of millions on a 7.99 (at the time) service. It was just stupid. Heck I thought putting Frozen 2 on there early was stupid as well sure it had completed its theatrical box office run but it took away from the Blu-ray/dvd/digital market sales.

Disney was not prepared for the effects of entering the streaming market. 45 day window has impacted box office, Pixar’s brand has taken a hit, Feige is now clearly overwhelmed at Marvel having to produce tv shows and movies, I don’t watch Star Wars so I can’t say what it’s done to Lucas Film other than maybe delayed production on actual SW movies they’re pretty much LucasTV now.

yeah…shame on Disney, for not being able to run a company during the worlds first pandemic…

It would suck if Disney ditches theatrical releases for future non-franchise Pixar movies because of this.
I feel like they've released too many movies in the last ten years... it should have been once a year at maXimum. PiXar movies just don't feel special anymore.

Now, their sparkle is diminishing with the general public and we have these numbers to back that up.

Imo, they should just release a new movie every 2 years as a result of handful of underperforming movies. Something has to change.

I feel bad for Peter Sohn out of everyone. He might be known as the director of the two lowest grossing Pixar films (The Good Dinosaur and this).

Onward I don’t count as the pandemic hit immediately once it hit theatres.

Terrible in fact. :csad:

I feel bad for Peter Sohn out of everyone. He might be known as the director of the two lowest grossing Pixar films (The Good Dinosaur and this).

Onward I don’t count as the pandemic hit immediately once it hit theatres.
I haven’t seen The Good Dinosaur. Is it good?

Yeah, I think that's the problem.
The place where I had my “oh no” moment with Pixar was Coco. Don’t get me wrong, Coco is fantastic, one of the very best things the studio ever did. I went to see it opening weekend…and I found myself sitting through that like 45 minute Olaf thing beforehand and I wanted to shoot myself. Reception to that was so bad Disney pulled the Olaf crap in like week two but the damage was done. Pixar was now just part of the machine.

That was a BIG mistake on Disney's part. The problem was that the short was just too long to put in front of a full length movie. I remember watching it in the theater and thinking "Well, this is cute, but I'm here to see Coco, not Frozen."

It was like the studio didn't think Coco would be able to draw an audience so they stapled a Frozen made for TV show in front of it. A shame because Coco is great.

Coco made close to 800M, so I don't think it hurt it much lol

It's cute. It's definitely not among the great Pixar, but is better than a Cars 2 or even Lightyear.

It's cute. It's definitely not among the great Pixar, but is better than a Cars 2 or even Lightyear.
Thanks. I’ll be biased towards it a bit with any dinosaur element so that should be enough for it to be worth it for me. :up:

Yeah, I think that's the problem.

That was a BIG mistake on Disney's part. The problem was that the short was just too long to put in front of a full length movie. I remember watching it in the theater and thinking "Well, this is cute, but I'm here to see Coco, not Frozen."

It was like the studio didn't think Coco would be able to draw an audience so they stapled a Frozen made for TV show in front of it. A shame because Coco is great.
It was interminable

I believe they got rid of the short the second week after everyone complained

Yeah I haven’t seen it in some years but it’s good. Nothing amazing but good. It definitely felt like a movie made just to show off what was the new photorealistic tech. There are various points where you’ll feel like it ripped things from other animated movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"