• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Empire's Top 500 Films

I'm surprised Scarface is only 284 and that Nation Lampoons Animal House ranks better :huh: :hehe:

The Dark Knight is actually going to be the top ten or something.

But then what do you expect from a magazine who listed Buffy the Vampire Slayer as the second greatest tv show ever.

The TDK cover actually sold out, so yeah...Expect it to be in the Top 20 or even Top 10.

So far I'm liking the list. Some odd/surprising choice that I like too.

God I hate Garden State

Hate as in it's a pretty decent movie, funny, and with great music that has been so overblown with exaggeration on its greatness that I wish people who proclaim this to be the second coming would drink bleach and realize that they're full of themselves? Yeah I agree:oldrazz:

Some of the choices like Zodiac and Rain Man are far too low. It's nice to see Akira make a showing.

The number one film has been leaked to the BBC, it's

The Godfather

The number one film has been leaked to the BBC, it's

The Godfather

No surprise there then. Well, surprise that it's not The Dark Knight. But the top ones will always be The Godfather, Pulp Fiction, etc, etc.

Hate as in it's a pretty decent movie, funny, and with great music that has been so overblown with exaggeration on its greatness that I wish people who proclaim this to be the second coming would drink bleach and realize that they're full of themselves? Yeah I agree:oldrazz:

Hate as in every character is monumentously obnoxious and I will never watch it again

Top 50

1. Godfather
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Shawshank Redemption
5. Jaws
6. Goodfellas
7. Apocalypse Now
8. Singing in the Rain
9. Pulp Fiction
10. Fight Club
11. Raging Bull
12. The Apartment
13. Chinatown
14. Once Upon a Time in the Weest
15. The Dark Knight
16. 2001: A Space Odyssey
17. Taxi Driver
18. Casablanca
19. Godfather II
20. Blade Runner
21. The Third Man
22. Star Wars: A New Hope
23. Back to the Future
24. Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
25. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
26. Dr. Strangelove
27. Some Like it Hot
28. Citizen Kane
29. Die Hard
30. Aliens
31. Gone With the Wind
32. Butch Cassidey and the Sundance Kid
33. Alien
34. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
35. Terminator 2
36. Andrei Rublev
37. A Clockwork Orange
38. Heat
39. Matrix
40. Vertigo
41. The 400 Blows
42. Kind Hearts And Coronets
43. The Big Lebowski
44. Schindler's List
45. Psycho
46. On the Waterfront
47. ET
48. This is Spinal Tap
49. Evil Dead 2
50. Seven Samurai

I'm pleasantly surprised by this.

Last edited:
My greatest movies of all time are...
1 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
2 Pulp Fiction
3 Die Hard
4 Raiders of the Lost Ark
5 Taxi Driver
6 Jaws
7 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
8 Open Range
9 Stand By Me
10 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

9/10 on the list.

One Flew over the cuckoos just barely missed top 100, sad day indeed

1-7 are pretty much safe choices though, but 1-5 is my definitive favorite movies list. The last 2 are a little more ambitous but not much. 8 is the most ambitious. So mad this didnt make it and crap like Garden State, Speed, and School of Rock did.

Overall it was a good list, mostly accurate, afew surprises

Anyone figure out the secret cover

I'm one of the people who thinks Godfather II is superior to Godfather I. :o

Also Seven Samurai should have been much higher.

There must be some sort of clause where the godfather is the best movie of all time on just about any list. it was a good movie but im suprised it got so high on the list nowadays.

Well they usually have Casablanca, and Gone with the Wind up there.

I have no problems with Godfather 1, it's an excellent movie.

There must be some sort of clause where the godfather is the best movie of all time on just about any list. it was a good movie but im suprised it got so high on the list nowadays.

I saw it coming. (but who didnt). I was hoping for a surprise but when it comes to fans, hollywood employees, and key critics it seems to always be the one thing they can all agree on.

Two big problems. The Dark Knight far too high on the list, Raiders of the Lost arc too low

Actually this is an abomination of a list and it's clear that the people who voted for this are 18-25 year old geeks

So how many comic book movies have been on this list?

I'm really glad Raiders was so high up. Great movie. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind should have been in the top ten. :csad:

I also noticed that only one Star Wars prequel is on the entire list, and that's Revenge of the Sith.

Network and LA Confidential should have been closer to the top in my opinion, great list anyway.

Casablanca too... oh well. Good list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"