Supergirl Episode 3.22 "Make It Reign" (SPOILERS)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally, an episode description:

SUPERGIRL PREPARES FOR BATTLE – Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) learns the true depth of Serena’s (guest star Anjali Jay) nefarious plans for Earth. Supergirl, Mon-El (Chris Wood) and Alura (guest star Erica Durance) must devise a plan to stop her before Serena gets to Earth. J’onn (David Harewood) prepares to say goodbye to his father (guest star Carl Lumby). Armen V. Kevorkian directed the episode written by Ray Utarnachitt & Cindy Lichtman (#322). Original airdate 6/11/2018.
https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/05/supergirl-episode-322-make-it-reign.html

Again with the Selena/Serena thing.

Last edited:
The stuff with Alura and Serena since the beginning of the season is about to pay off.

I think this is where Alura goes to Earth with Kara and arrives in the DEO.

Dark Kryptonians? Really?

Isn't it meant to be Selena? And is she a nod to Faye Dunaway from Supergirl the movie?
Never seen the movie, but yeah, it's supposed to be Selena. The promo dept is clearly unaware of their error considering they did it again in another press release, lol.

Never seen the movie, but yeah, it's supposed to be Selena. The promo dept is clearly unaware of their error considering they did it again in another press release, lol.

Selena was the big bad in the movie, played by Faye Dunaway. But she wasn't a Kryptonian. She was a witch who came into possession of the Omegahedron which enhanced her powers.

But since they're doing Argo (which was in the movie) and they have someone named Selena, then it can't be a coincidence.

They should have the Omegahedron be the power source for Argo, as it was in the film, instead of this black rock. I can't remember what they did with it though after Season 1.

Now this is how I've been expecting Argo to look.

Feels like its been 84 years since this storyline started. J'onns storyline has been so bad and so human.

Winn's new invention seems suspiciously like Brainiac 5's force field belt.

They should have the Omegahedron be the power source for Argo, as it was in the film, instead of this black rock. I can't remember what they did with it though after Season 1.
General Lane and Maxwell Lord took it with them to Offscreenville. Pretty sure they were the ones last seen with it.

Come on..lol..shouldn't her punch have broken that panel? And how did she not know it was a hologram.

NO! Don't kill Asian hottie! Of course everyone just stares as he gets killed.

Of course everyone just stares as he gets killed.
Yep. While TV is generally the writers' medium, this is one of those instances where directing drags down the quality of the episode. If that had been cut more quickly, or if the director had made one of them strike Kara right before they did that so she was at least disoriented for a moment, that could have been a good scene. As it was, it was extremely dumb.

Also, could she not have destroyed the blood without tossing it to them?

That agent had just two days before retirement.

Had he even done anything noteworthy prior to him and Winn fighting when J'onn's dad got into everyone's minds?

Had he even done anything noteworthy prior to him and Winn fighting when J'onn's dad got into everyone's minds?
Pretty sure he was the same hothead who escalated the situation during the White Martian DEO takeover last season. So all in all...he didn't have the best tenure there, lol.

Yep. While TV is generally the writers' medium, this is one of those instances where directing drags down the quality of the episode. If that had been cut more quickly, or if the director had made one of them strike Kara right before they did that so she was at least disoriented for a moment, that could have been a good scene. As it was, it was extremely dumb.

Also, could she not have destroyed the blood without tossing it to them?

Preach.

Oh damn, I almost forgot Reign wielded a sword in the comics.

So.....Sam and her daughter are hidden behind forcefield that baddie can't see through and doesn't know they are in it.....so of course the daughter has to reach for random object for no reason what so ever so that she can drop it and make a noise alerting baddie where they are.....of course that happened........

So.....Sam and her daughter are hidden behind forcefield that baddie can't see through and doesn't know they are in it.....so of course the daughter has to reach for random object for no reason what so ever so that she can drop it and make a noise alerting baddie where they are.....of course that happened........
Well at least the daughter's the one who thought to raise the forcefield in the first place, so...maybe those points can cancel each other out? :oldrazz:

If Reigns whole thing was to help turn Earth into New Krypton, I really wish they had had Reign do things throughout the season help set up a terraforming initiative that set all of this in motion.

It's weird to see Kara so happy about Alex meeting Lara when a guy just died. Even if it was fairly quick.

So Arrow, The Defenders, and now Supergirl have all had massive, city-wide earthquakes.

I get why they didn't do it throughout the season for budget/time reasons, but you know, this would've been the PERFECT opportunity to give us Reign in a more comics-accurate form for the finale.

General thoughts - despite some poor directing, this was much better than the last two eps.

-I've mentioned before how I love it whenever this show decides to showcase Kara's science/tech smarts (a pretty significant part of her character in the comics that the show usually downplays), and the early portion of this ep was chock full of that, so yay.

-Still loving Miss Tessmacher's new role. I kinda want her to be a regular next season.

-Alura's new outfit is awesome.

-Reign's intended purpose on Earth now seems a bit murky. First she was cleansing the world of sinners, but now they're terraforming? I could understand the "moral cleansing" before setting up a new society or something like that, but they literally said this episode that the terraforming would kill ALL the humans, so...why bother wiping out the sinners first?

-Alex taking on the Kryptonians with Kryptonite was pretty cool...

-...but that scene afterwards where the agent guy gave his life was just very poorly done. Including the bit where Kara needlessly tossed them the blood before attempting to destroy it. She could have done literally anything else before destroying and it would have been fine, lol.

-I hope Brainiac 5 makes a new and improved version of Winn's belt at some point. Otherwise, they totally stole one of Brainy's coolest inventions in the comics and gave it to Winn.

-Armen Kevorkian is a solid director when it comes to the action/VFX stuff...which makes sense since he's usually a VFX supervisor. But damn, he really needs to work on his dramatic and basic actor-directing, as there were so many needlessly awkward moments here: When Selena's home collapses, it cuts straight to a shot of Kara and Mon-El standing there like nothing ever happened and then immediately to Alura saying they needed to get Thara help, all within the span of like, 2 seconds. There were ZERO shots of anyone actually reacting and getting their bearings after surviving a major explosion, so the moment never got a chance to land at all. Then there's that shot of Ruby dropping the pointless object she reached for that gave away their location to the Kryptonian lady. That shot was so clumsy, it looked like Ruby literally dropped the object intentionally. Like, the actress practically threw the thing down. A better director would have gone for another take of that and made it seems like she was fumbling because she was scared, and just knocked the object or something. And of course, there's that whole scene with that random agent guy's sacrifice that I've already covered. So yeah, a lot of major moments that were quite poorly executed from a directing standpoint. I'm glad Jesse Warn is directing the finale. His action directing can be a bit spotty at times, but he gets great stuff from the actors and usually nails everything else.

Regarding next week's promo: OMG, how many times are they gonna use that same shot of the ground cracking from the season premiere in their promos for other eps? It's like their go-to shot for "TERROR IN THE STREETS!" And I feel like I've seen it in at least 4 promos this season...including last week! They seriously need to let that shot go already. If it shows up in any promos for S4, I'm storming the CW marketing offices and deleting the footage myself. :cmad:

EDIT: misslane has just pointed out that Ruby DID intentionally drop that object to distract the Kryptonian lady, so I retract my criticism of Mr. Kevorkian's directing at that one point.

Last edited:
This is the first of two parts as next week will be the second and final part.

I was hoping for Sam to become Superwoman based on Lucy Lane's version.

If the spoilers about Winn leaving the DEO and the series is true, this would be a good reason for it.

So Supergirl gets Alura to meet Alex. You can start the 4th season by having both her mothers, Alura and Eliza, meet as well.

I like Miss Tessmacher's new role that separates her from the original movies version. I'm not sure about the spoilers about Lena going insane and experimenting on people as there is no lead-up to it.

You knew that Human cult leader would be disposed of once he served his purpose.

4th season has to be about New Krypton. If Reign resembles her comics form next week, there would be no need of Sam for the next season unless they turn her into Superwoman.

Better than last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"