Episode 3: Lamentis (Spoiler Discussion)

Very much a confusing episode for me. I feel I should have enjoyed more than I did, and disliked it more than I did. Like I say, confusing.

I do enjoy Loki and Loki chats, but wasn't a huge fan of the writing. And (crucify me some other time), Hiddleston's acting can seem a bit over the top. Prefer when his Loki is a little less manic. Yes, I know that's his Loki in this show but hey... He (or the directing) also seemed to struggle with acting to a green screen apocalypse.

Also.... Where the hell do these powers come from... Concussive energy blasts, telekinesis?
Seemed like it would have been hellishly useful... Anywhere else in his Marvel existence?

Enjoying the show, even episode 3... sounding way more critical than I felt watching it... I'm all over the place with this.

Need more Mobius. That'll fix everything. Our Mobius chose to be an Investigator instead of professional jet skiier, and that's how he became a variant haha

The director stated on twitter that he's bi.

It seemed like such a random piece of dialogue to include (about relationships) if there isn't a payoff for it.

I would be all for Loki hooking up with Lady Loki, just for the amusing implications it would create.

And the look on Owen Wilson's face.

• Is every planet we visit only going to have humanoids?

To be fair, that's not purely the fault of this show, since all the planets we go to in GoTG are inhabited by humanoids too and nobody seems to have a problem with that.

An enjoyable episode to be sure, but I do share the sentiment by a few others that this is the weakest episode.

Short of the reveal that the TVA agents are variants themselves, this episode didn't really go anywhere... we had the chemistry which was great, but beyond that, I didn't think there was much ... development.

- Sylvie is a Loki... or is she? Could she be a Loki, even our Loki, who changed her identify because she couldn't stand being Loki anymore? Is she his ex-wife? His daughter with Enchantress? His sister? His mother? Between the conversation about love, the trip down memory lane about his mother, and the woman in the trailer, I can see it matching up with the wife/daughter idea best. Maybe her battle with the TVA is her birth was a variance and they tried to element her. Maybe that is why she hangs out in the apocalypse. She survived one.
This would be the best case scenario for me I think; and it would kinda make a lot of sense.

Rather than being adopted, maybe she was hidden (by Loki) to keep her safe. Something happened and she had to fight for herself. Whether she's an actual variant or simply time displaced however remains to truly be seen.

Few other things:
  • Loki can reverse time, since when?
  • When being accompanied by TVA agents, he can’t make his knives appear?
  • Is every planet we visit only going to have humanoids?
I gotta admit, this ... irritates me too, especially as the entirety of the TVA also appears to be human, but then I guess it's keeping production costs down?

To be fair, that's not purely the fault of this show, since all the planets we go to in GoTG are inhabited by humanoids too and nobody seems to have a problem with that.

Xandar, Knowhere, and Hala all had a combination of humanoids and “alien looking” species. All I’m saying is we could at least get humanoids that are green or purple.

There's a difference to behind humanoid and human. I'd accept humanoid, but it's the constant number of (what appears to be) humans that's bothering.

No blue, green or yellow skinned folk. No horns. No sharp teeth. No prosthetics or makeup. Just plain old humans.

I'm an idiot. She's a time displaced Enchantress, isn't she? She's a variant because Loki saved her from an apocalypse, right?

It was an okay episode, not the best, but that is expected from someone who wrote Rick and Morty. As great as that show is (and I quite enjoyed the season 5 premiere) it does tend to have filler episodes every once and a while.
Filler episodes are to be expected with ongoing shows like Rick and Morty, less so for a six episode miniseries.

I think the TVA aren't as all powerful as we are led to believe.
The fact that magic and/or powers don't work in there for some reason and that they can travel between space and time is a pretty big indication that they are at least powerful in that sense alone. But I agree that there's *something* behind them.

Soo far I've enjoyed this series a lot. This was a bit different, and can see why some people thought it was more of a filler episode. It wasn't perfect (for instance, I felt some inconsistance regarding powers/fighting skills during action scenes), but I highly enjoyed it. Hiddelston is still great fun as this character, and the interaction and dialogues between him and Lady Loki/Sylvie was very entertaining IMHO. Still hope we'll get more episodes with Mobious, I'm one of them who missed him.

Liked this episode. Prob my least favorite of the 3 episodes so far, but that isn't really a knock. Still very much enjoyed it

I don't believe Loki exhibited any sexual appetite whatsoever during his prior MCU appearances. So spending sexy time with princesses and princes are both new revelations.

Enjoyed the episode, but I am having trouble believing Loki got drunk, caused both he and Sylvia to be tossed off the train, and busted the TemPad. There's got to be some kind of con going on here, right? Maybe he and Moebius are in cahoots and he's using their imminent demise to drill Lady Loki for info? He already got the "TVA employees are Variants!" knowledge drop we already kinda knew.

Oh I think there is a con going but I can't decide if Sylvie is the one behind it or our Loki.

I mean Loki is a well established sorcerer and he kept pumping her for the particulars of her control enchantment. It could be something that he could figure out on his own after learning the fundamentals.

So could be after a certain point it was all an illusion with Loki in charge trying to get to the heart of what makes Sylvie tick.

OTOH... It could be Sylvie making the same play.

Filler episodes are to be expected with ongoing shows like Rick and Morty, less so for a six episode miniseries.

I think this episode left us on a filler-y note because the way the ending was written. That wasn't much of a cliffhanger. We know the Lokis will survive this apocalypse. TVA will likely rescue them. So it seemed rather pointless and abrupt.

The other two episodes had far more engaging and intriguing cliffhangers.

The writer they chose for this (whos going to be the Miss Marvel head writer I believe) isn't particularly good.

Hiddleston still manages to elevate the material though.

The planet very much reminded me of a DW ep: Apocalypse and quarries with a purple filter!

This was different than the first two but I enjoyed it. I think it was necessary to have both Loki and Sylvie establish a "relationship" right away as set up for the rest of the series.

I liked Sylvie. I don't love her yet but she and TH worked well together. I suspect her agenda is going to be self serving but will end up working just enough for everyone else's benefit that she/a form of her will live to cause chaos another day.

I enjoyed the discussion on the train and the way it wandered from upbringing to Frigga to sexuality, to love and magic. Both of them packed a lot of layers into the discussion. Frigga keeps being brought up so much that I wonder if she's going to cameo. TH drunk dancing, singing and drinking like an Asgardian was funny and the look between them when he was maudlin drunk was interesting.

So the TVA are all variants...hmm. So like the Time Lord, Time Masters etc before them the Time Keepers are shady AF, you don't say. That said, I guess it's better than being murdered for being a variant. Slyvie has been a variant since she was a child, that's interesting, still not entirely sure how that all works.

I missed Mobius and B-15 but I think this was a good character ep for both Lokis.

Did feel a bit like a Dr Who episode. I'm actually more convinced now what Sophie Di Martino would make a better Doctor than Jodie Whittaker. She has more charisma, isn't as annoying and would be more of an action heroine as well. Maybe they'll consider her in future.

It did feel like a Doctor Who episode, and I have no problem with that.

Also, lots of planets in the Marvel Universe have humanoids that look exactly like humans. Lamentis in the comics is part of Kree space hence why they resemble humans.

Asgardians look human in every aspect.

Here are Norrin Radd and his girlfriend Shalla Bal before Norrin became the Silver Surfer

silversurfer01_20.jpg

Last edited:
Sylvie mentioned she was in a long distance relationship with a postman. Any chance we might see @Willie Lumpkin in this show or in the MCU soon?

It could all be tying into the FF especially with Ravona and Kang.

Didn't think I would miss Mobious the way I did lets hope he returns next episode wound up wayching zoolander to get some loco Owen Wilson

Brainstorm...

Loki will learn Sylvie's enchantment and that is how he will turn Mobius against the TVA. He'll go into Wilson's mind and that's when we'll see the jet ski connection. When confronted with the truth Mobius will be on team Loki.

Can we all agree that Mobius probably used to Jet Ski before the TVA took him into their realm?
He was some kind of jet ski champion or he sold them.

Depressing thought... All the TVA staff are Variants.

And... They were all collected from Apocalypses. The Time Keepers or whomever had Sylvie's idea. Hide their work in the timelines via cataclysmic events that happen. So like Loki returning the Variants home may not be an option since they would likely be fated to die.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the head.

This episode was okay, was expecting them to have one central episode for other Loki. Can't say I am that invested in the character, seems like they are skating around her being an Enchantress without saying the name. I do enjoy the TVA so they were missed in this episode for me.

I think the TVA aren't as all powerful as we are led to believe.
I think the Timekeepers are or at least the thing that is running the TVA. The group itself is just a pawn since they don't realize they are variants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"