Error Code (aka The Great PSN Easter Outage of 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade ins have seen an increase this last month, but so have purchases. In the end I don't think that a few CoD no-lifers trading in their systems is going to have a big impact on this situation. If all you play is CoD, then yeah, a month with no online is a huge deal. For most people though, they'd rather not have to replace their whole game collection and then have to pay $60 just to go online.

Apparently.

There's a LOT of single player games out there... Seriously. I still have yet to beat Portal 2. I'm taking my time with it.

I said the same thing some pages ago.
Turns out they are.

Are people that obsessed with online gaming??

It's not just online gaming. I could get a 250gb X-box 360, with a Kinnect for the same price I got my 80gb paper weight. And considering I could knock that price almost in half if I traded my PS3 in, that's a pretty good deal. If I wasn't waiting for Uncharted 3, I'd probably do it.

So anyone think it will be back up by monday?

It's not just online gaming. I could get a 250gb X-box 360, with a Kinnect for the same price I got my 80gb paper weight. And considering I could knock that price almost in half if I traded my PS3 in, that's a pretty good deal. If I wasn't waiting for Uncharted 3, I'd probably do it.

so its now a paperweight because you cant game online?

I figured Id try and finish up some trophies from RDR Undead Nightmare, only to find that its unplayable bc the PSN is down :(

Some rather unsettling news and 'new' insight on the attacks:

IGN said:
Reuters: Expert Finds "Security Flaws in Sony's Networks"

If a report from news organization Reuters is any indication, Sony's overall Internet security is lacking far beyond the confines of the PlayStation Network, Qriocity music service and Sony Online Entertainment servers.

Reuters has concluded that "Sony Corp's computer networks remain vulnerable to attack three weeks after the company learned that it had been victim of one of the biggest data breaches in history, according to an Internet security expert." That security expert is John Bumgarner, chief technology officer of the partially government-funded U.S. Cyber Consequences Unit. And the flaws Bumgarner found in Sony's Internet security -- and how he found them -- are startling.

Bloomberg said:
Amazon.com Server Said to Have Been Used in Sony Attack

May 14 (Bloomberg) -- Amazon.com Inc.’s Web Services cloud- computing unit was used by hackers in last month’s attack against Sony Corp.’s online entertainment systems, according to a person with knowledge of the matter.

Hackers using an alias signed up to rent a server through Amazon’s EC2 service and launched the attack from there, said the person, who requested anonymity because the information is confidential. The account has been shut down, the person said.

Yes. People ARE obessed with online gaming. It's why so many games are getting tacked on with multiplayer modes, even when they don't need them.

I have friends that literally only play online. I know a few that only buy COD games, and don't even touch the single player campaign. Now...that's just ****ing crazy to me, but there are more than a few people out there like that.

It's the reason why "is single player dead?" is a topic of discussion for gamers.

Its up!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not up but the software update is available for download

So we get a free month of PSN + & MMO & then any other missed days after that right ?

They should turn on DC Universe tonight & let people test the servers etc

From the Blog.

We have been working on a new PS3 system software update that requires all PSN users to change their password once PlayStation Network is restored. The update (v3.61) is mandatory and is available now.
If using a PS3, your password can only be changed on your own PS3 (or a PS3 on which your PSN account was activated), as an added layer of security. If you have never downloaded any content using your account on the system, an email will be sent to the registered sign-in ID (email address) associated with your account when you first attempt to sign-in to PSN. This e-mail will contain a link that will enable you to change your password. In this email, click on the link and follow the instructions to change your password. Once you have changed your password you can sign-in to your account using your new password.
We strongly recommend that all PSN account holders with PS3s update their systems to prepare for when PlayStation Network is back online. The release of this update is a critical step as we work to make PlayStation Network significantly more secure. Thank you for your continued support and patience.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/14/ps3-system-software-update/
Woo Hooo!

Any news on the free games?

just completed the update but the network is still down

Finally, I can play Calling All Cars again!!!

They must be getting slammed. First time I got kicked "off" of a software update...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"