Ever gotten sick from depression?

So people are to much into the sadness and unhappiness that they cut themselves.

Some cut for attention and go to school to say
"Heeey, check out how sad I am! :word:" to which I want to respond
"Oh, really? Here, let me help *SLASH*"
"GAAAAAAH I'm BLEEDING!!"
"I thought you liked that, tough guy..."

....but the others are mainly the people who'd rather not make a big deal out of it, AND hardly cut solely on their arms; "I have cuts but....they're not on my arm o_O. *points at chest* *points at tummy* *points at pee pee*".

And then there are the silly kids who think slitting a wrist will cause death :whatever: Little do they know it HURRRTS when you REALLY get in there. Cut once, then open up the scar and cut INSIDE the scar, open THAT up, cut some more, and if you haven't passed out due to the PAIIIN, then you've got a perfect 50% of dying.

Some cut for attention and go to school to say
"Heeey, check out how sad I am! :word:" to which I want to respond
"Oh, really? Here, let me help *SLASH*"
"GAAAAAAH I'm BLEEDING!!"
"I thought you liked that, tough guy..."

....but the others are mainly the people who'd rather not make a big deal out of it, AND hardly cut solely on their arms; "I have cuts but....they're not on my arm o_O. *points at chest* *points at tummy* *points at pee pee*".

And then there are the silly kids who think slitting a wrist will cause death :whatever: Little do they know it HURRRTS when you REALLY get in there. Cut once, then open up the scar and cut INSIDE the scar, open THAT up, cut some more, and if you haven't passed out due to the PAIIIN, then you've got a perfect 50% of dying.

Isn't it that the guys will look for something instant if they are sucidal?

Isn't it that the guys will look for something instant if they are sucidal?

It differs very much. Some want to end it right away and not think, others would like to take their time and plan their suicide("if im going to enjoy SOMETHING in my life I might as well choose the way I want to die").

Some grab the nearest knife and stab themselves and end up in the hospital(mostly), others wait a few days and drive 7 hours to a nice pretty bridge and have a delicious dinner at the town before hopping off the next morning.

It differs very much. Some want to end it right away and not think, others would like to take their time and plan their suicide("if im going to enjoy SOMETHING in my life I might as well choose the way I want to die").

Some grab the nearest knife and stab themselves and end up in the hospital(mostly), others wait a few days and drive 7 hours to a nice pretty bridge and have a delicious dinner at the town before hopping off the next morning.

Then there are others that hang themselves. It was weird but in one of Criminal Justice classes last year I can't remember if you commite suicide and fail it's another thing you are bad at along those lines.

Then there are others that hang themselves. It was weird but in one of Criminal Justice classes last year I can't remember if you commite suicide and fail it's another thing you are bad at along those lines.

If you attempt suicide but fail, you're bad at that? Well, it's mainly just because they didn't place the rope in the right position/stab themselves deep enough/jump high enough. In all the attempts made, i'd say a good 70% survive. It is a challenge, if you're under the right circumstances, to kill one's self. The human body can endure a hell of a lot more than one would think...

If you attempt suicide but fail, you're bad at that? Well, it's mainly just because they didn't place the rope in the right position/stab themselves deep enough/jump high enough. In all the attempts made, i'd say a good 70% survive. It is a challenge, if you're under the right circumstances, to kill one's self. The human body can endure a hell of a lot more than one would think...

Yes for example it would be harder to just drown yourself and die becuase your body is going to fight it more rather just drown.

Im actually suffering from it and i take medication to keep it to a minimum. Sadly, it's not that effective...:csad:

In my first year of college I tried to end my relationship with my girlfriend and she threatened to kill herself. I ended up talking her out of it... and STAYING in the relationship out of fear of what she would do to herself.

Over the next few months I tried to gradually back out of the relationship but it always ended with her in the bathroom with the door locked and telling me she was going to take all these pills.

I was still a teenager and couldn't handle all that pressure. I eventually had a mini-breakdown. I remember sitting in the kitchen floor at my mother's house rocking back and forth and not talking. Not even wanting to talk. She took me to the hospital where I was given sedatives.

Things eventually worked out. I'm now happily married with two children.

I've struggled with depression and anxiety most of my life. I have gotten sick because of it, which is the main thing that got me to finally see a doctor and get some help (and meds).
Even on meds I still got myself pretty sick, mentally and physically. The cutting and suicidal thoughts/urges/plans got to be too much and I ended up in the hospital for a bit, probably the best thing I ever did for myself.

As for now, I've been off my meds for about a year and all seems well. No cutting for a little over a year and no suicidal thoughts etc.
Though I do know that I have to keep an eye on myself. My gf keeps her eye out too. First sign of trouble I go back to see my doctor and possibly back on my meds. For now though I'm happy that I've learned to help deal with it on my own.

"I got my PMA, I got my attitude"

Antidepressants that my doctor prescribed. I'm at 30mg a day and to be honest it doesnt really help so much these days.

Lol she probably wants to know which specific anti-depressant. Most people I know on meds can't stand them and the pills don't seem to help. I remember one of my best friends in high school was bulimic and VERY depressed...she said all her meds did is make her feel never happy but never SUPER depressed. So, she just felt blandly unhappy all the time.

In my first year of college I tried to end my relationship with my girlfriend and she threatened to kill herself. I ended up talking her out of it... and STAYING in the relationship out of fear of what she would do to herself.

Over the next few months I tried to gradually back out of the relationship but it always ended with her in the bathroom with the door locked and telling me she was going to take all these pills.

I was still a teenager and couldn't handle all that pressure. I eventually had a mini-breakdown. I remember sitting in the kitchen floor at my mother's house rocking back and forth and not talking. Not even wanting to talk. She took me to the hospital where I was given sedatives.

Things eventually worked out. I'm now happily married with two children.

that happened to a guy at my school. he had a very over sensitive girlfriend and she threatened to kill herself whenever he'd try to break it off.

it's great that everything worked out for you in the end. brave of you to stay with her all that time. most guys would've left, not caring about the consequences.

I knew a woman She said she was cutting herself. She didn't like her boss.

I don't mean to advertise but this program found here http://www.stresscenter.com/program/ helped me when I was younger and completely help me recover from anxiety and depression WITHOUT any medication. But for the program to work, you have to do all of the excercises and homeworks that are prescribed there. Some stuff from Tony Robbins helped out too. Now I know how to control my emotions and lead a happy life. It's all about positive thinking and how you talk to yourself. Hope that helps some people.

I recall before I started getting help for my depression how bad things were getting. I was really sad, if I wasn't sad then I was absolutely furious, and then paranoid at the same time. It's hard to describe, but it wasn't pleasant. I started to distance myself from family and friends. I remember days where if I wasn't sleeping, then I was at work, if I wasn't working, then I was sleeping. It went on like this for quite some time, before I knew it, I was in my own little world. Then there were some tragic events, which made things even worse.

I then snapped back to reality, made amends with everyone and went to see a psychiatrist and I was prescribed medication. I realized it wasn't going to be an easy fight, so I had to develop a positive attitude and I can say I'm getting a lot better.

When I found out my girlfriend (who I didn't have sex with) was having sex with some nasty dude, I woke up in the middle of the night with my heartbeat blasting my ears... at what seemed like a very high volume.

Also, my veins were bulging and my blood felt like concrete... it was so hard for me to move I had to drag myself across the floor to the bathroom where I expected to die.

That's about as close as I ever got.

Yes for example it would be harder to just drown yourself and die becuase your body is going to fight it more rather just drown.

Well yeah, drowning us no different than holding your breath to death. You get the same feeling of your head slowly exploding, jawline popping out, head throbbing, ect. Unless you get under there and open up.

People have survived attempts such as jumping in front of trains(its gotta be speeding), off 10 story buildings(15+ lowers the risk), electrocution in the bathtub(risk of going mentally ******ed), and the all famous charcoal grill method(more preparation needed than one might think).

And I seriously don't know why im continuing this O.O Maybe im just tired.

When I found out my girlfriend (who I didn't have sex with) was having sex with some nasty dude, I woke up in the middle of the night with my heartbeat blasting my ears... at what seemed like a very high volume.

Also, my veins were bulging and my blood felt like concrete... it was so hard for me to move I had to drag myself across the floor to the bathroom where I expected to die.

That's about as close as I ever got.
You were probably having an axiety attack. It's very scary when it's happening. I haven't had one in like 6 years 'cause now I laugh at it.

I've been depressed for a while. I've been taking lexapro, and it's worked for a while.

But now that I'm back at my old school with all the problems that got me depressed in the first place, I think my depression is coming back.

I don't know that I was ever physically sick from depression, but I've had friends become violently ill from panic attacks and so forth. And I did go to some pretty dark places over the years. Spent some overnights on the floor of my bathtub/shower at one point in high school. Good times, those.

Someone told me once that if you live in this world, and see some of the elements of it for what it is, then there would be something wrong with you if you didn't get depressed once in a while. Based on what I've seen over the years, I personally feel that people who get depressed tend to do so because they already allow themselves to feel things on a level that many don't, and I don't neccessarily think that this is always a bad thing.

I was on all kinds of medication from the time I was about nine until I was in my early twenties. I'm talking four or five pills a day. And then, at one point, I mistakenly took one pill instead of the other, threw my brain chemicals into a serious imbalance, and ended up very, very, very suicidal. Oh, I didn't want to kill myself, I pretty much just wanted to die. Swore off of medication after that, and decided to solve my problems through a reassessment of my values and goals in life and some very deep soul searching. You've got to be careful with medication. I've also found that medication alone does nothing. The combination of medication and the right kind of counseling can work wonders, if you're willing to invest the time and energy and serious about changing your thinking patterns and the way you see the world.

I've found that depression is very situationally triggered. And I don't neccessarily mean weather or seasonally. It's about mindset. If you believe something, or the world tells you to believe in something that upsets or depresses you, then your mind will reinforce that belief. Essentially, you end up fighting your societal instincts. Back when I was in all the "high school" mindset, I was often very depressed, but getting out into the real world and realizing some key "truths" about the world has helped a lot. Another thing that helped me was building confidence via finding something I was really, really good at and got a lot of pleasure out of, rather than trying to enjoy the things most people around me did. If you've got something like that in your life, you're halfway there.

I don't think beating or dealing with depression is about controlling your emotions, as much as learning to see them for what they are and putting that in perspective.

I don't know that I was ever physically sick from depression, but I've had friends become violently ill from panic attacks and so forth. And I did go to some pretty dark places over the years. Spent some overnights on the floor of my bathtub/shower at one point in high school. Good times, those.

Someone told me once that if you live in this world, and see some of the elements of it for what it is, then there would be something wrong with you if you didn't get depressed once in a while. Based on what I've seen over the years, I personally feel that people who get depressed tend to do so because they already allow themselves to feel things on a level that many don't, and I don't neccessarily think that this is always a bad thing.

I was on all kinds of medication from the time I was about nine until I was in my early twenties. I'm talking four or five pills a day. And then, at one point, I mistakenly took one pill instead of the other, threw my brain chemicals into a serious imbalance, and ended up very, very, very suicidal. Oh, I didn't want to kill myself, I pretty much just wanted to die. Swore off of medication after that, and decided to solve my problems through a reassessment of my values and goals in life and some very deep soul searching. You've got to be careful with medication. I've also found that medication alone does nothing. The combination of medication and the right kind of counseling can work wonders, if you're willing to invest the time and energy and serious about changing your thinking patterns and the way you see the world.

I've found that depression is very situationally triggered. And I don't neccessarily mean weather or seasonally. It's about mindset. If you believe something, or the world tells you to believe in something that upsets or depresses you, then your mind will reinforce that belief. Essentially, you end up fighting your societal instincts. Back when I was in all the "high school" mindset, I was often very depressed, but getting out into the real world and realizing some key "truths" about the world has helped a lot. Another thing that helped me was building confidence via finding something I was really, really good at and got a lot of pleasure out of, rather than trying to enjoy the things most people around me did. If you've got something like that in your life, you're halfway there.

I don't think beating or dealing with depression is about controlling your emotions, as much as learning to see them for what they are and putting that in perspective.

great point

Aw, I think everyone has these days. Just remember, the most important thing you can do is in your hour of loneliness, remember that you are never alone. There are many, many other people in the world feeling the same way you do.

I was a cancer survivor by the time I was 17; there were some times that I felt very sad and alone and just wanted to give up. I always told myself that it could be worse, and that's what I tell myself today when I have bad days. Things could always be worse. Look for the happiness in your lives and strive for it, and remember to keep your loved ones close by you. Living life to the fullest, enjoying the time that you have here, and letting go of anger are important. Letting go is hard but I can't express how much of a happier person I am because of it.

I am also going through some problems with my friends, and I feel empathy for them as well (to the point of crying/not being able to eat correctly, sometimes), so my PM box is always open if you want to talk. Please don't hesitate; talking about the problem almost always makes us humans feel better about things.

And if anyone here needs any suggestions as to things that they can do to keep their minds off of dark thoughts, then I'll start: we're all at SuperHeroHype, aren't we? Let's read some comics. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"