Comics Everything in ASM I wanted retconned, is finally happening.

MikenAyers

Civilian
Reaction score
It may have taken 13 years, but better late than never.

Harry’s return being a farce is one thing I always wanted. His resurrection never fit with the explanation given.

The good guys won.

Somehow the story about Harry's resurrection being a farce ended up being an even bigger farce.
Damn Spencer is really one of the worst writers to ever write a Spider-Man book.

Somehow the story about Harry's resurrection being a farce ended up being an even bigger farce.
Damn Spencer is really one of the worst writers to ever write a Spider-Man book.

Nothing about Harry’s resurrection made any sense. First it was his alterations to the Goblin formula that killed him, so being brought back the same way Norman did never sat well with me.

Second, it’s suddenly revealed Norman flew in from Europe that same night, and took him back with him.

Norman, eventually comes back and manages to keep Harry a secret all this time, and even mourns his passing/visits his grave IN PRIVATE.

Joe Quesada thought they didn’t have to explain his return, because it was magic, and fans demanded they get one when Marvel wasn’t prepared, so they made a bigger mess of canon.

This current story actually cleans things up significantly.

Nothing about Harry’s resurrection made any sense. First it was his alterations to the Goblin formula that killed him, so being brought back the same way Norman did never sat well with me.

Second, it’s suddenly revealed Norman flew in from Europe that same night, and took him back with him.

Norman, eventually comes back and manages to keep Harry a secret all this time, and even mourns his passing/visits his grave IN PRIVATE.

Joe Quesada thought they didn’t have to explain his return, because it was magic, and fans demanded they get one when Marvel wasn’t prepared, so they made a bigger mess of canon.

No, no, that's not what I meant. The story about Harry's resurrection was in fact a farce and definitely kinda ruined the impact of Spectacular #200, but it's been like 15 years since that, Harry grew as a character and has put his life in order, got a second son, got together with Liz and finally gave a big F You to Norman, so despite me being against it initially, I guess made my peace with that. Like, it was totally unnecessary, but, eh, well, fine, let it be that way, I guess. Plus, it gave us some great moments showing the friendship between Peter and Harry, including one great short story from DeMatteis himself.
And now this happens. A story that's basically undoes 15 years of development and makes Harry look even worse than before in such a forced and unbelievable way. And the fact that it's being written by such a low-quality writer as Nick Spencer certainly doesn't help.

No, no, that's not what I meant. The story about Harry's resurrection was in fact a farce and definitely kinda ruined the impact of Spectacular #200, but it's been like 15 years since that, Harry grew as a character and has put his life in order, got a second son, got together with Liz and finally gave a big F You to Norman, so despite me being against it initially, I guess made my peace with that. Like, it was totally unnecessary, but, eh, well, fine, let it be that way, I guess. Plus, it gave us some great moments showing the friendship between Peter and Harry, including one great short story from DeMatteis himself.
And now this happens. A story that's basically undoes 15 years of development and makes Harry look even worse than before in such a forced and unbelievable way. And the fact that it's being written by such a low-quality writer as Nick Spencer certainly doesn't help.

In all honesty, I can't tell you a single in continuity tale from ASM from the past 15 years that I wouldn't happily sacrifice to get Harry back in the ground, Gwen out of Norman's bed, and MJ and Peter being married to each other again.

Dan Slott had MAYBE 3 good stories over that 15 year run? Spectacular by Zdarsky and FNSM were awesome, but those stories can easily exist with a married Spidey.

In all honesty, I can't tell you a single in continuity tale from ASM from the past 15 years that I wouldn't happily sacrifice to get Harry back in the ground, Gwen out of Norman's bed, and MJ and Peter being married to each other again.

Dan Slott had MAYBE 3 good stories over that 15 year run? Spectacular by Zdarsky and FNSM were awesome, but those stories can easily exist with a married Spidey.
It's not about a particular story, more like an overall development. The resurrection was pretty stupid but it allowed Harry to grow as a character, so as I mentioned, I don't think bringing Harry back was a good idea, but, well, I'm not mad it happened.
Zdarsky or Tom Taylor on Amazing would've been just perfect, but instead we went from one hack writer to even a bigger hack. I just can't see what's stopping them from getting Tom or Chip on ASM. FNSM and SSM were better than anything from Spencer (or Slott), imo.

Yes and no.
It does kind of

Make a mess of things.
But that's only because the original retcons made a mess a mess of things.

Spider-Man needs to somehow be reset to before the 99/00 Mackie reboot!

Harry the person redeemed himself, but he didn’t get a chance to undo his AI that was meant to eff with Peter from beyond the grave.

That’s been around since the story with Harry hiring Chameleon to make duplicates of Peter’s parents.

It's not about a particular story, more like an overall development. The resurrection was pretty stupid but it allowed Harry to grow as a character, so as I mentioned, I don't think bringing Harry back was a good idea, but, well, I'm not mad it happened.
Zdarsky or Tom Taylor on Amazing would've been just perfect, but instead we went from one hack writer to even a bigger hack. I just can't see what's stopping them from getting Tom or Chip on ASM. FNSM and SSM were better than anything from Spencer (or Slott), imo.

I agree with everything except the hackness of Spencer over Slott. Slott gave us 23 year old man-boy Spider-Man. He was more immature than when he was actually in high school.

Yes, Tom Taylor and Chip Zdarsky are the Spider-Man DREAM TEAM, though. HOW did those books get cancelled?! Oh yeah...we need ASM 3 times a month.

In my opinion, Spencer's greatest failure was having an artist like Ryan Ottley on board, and having him do NOTHING. He literally did the minor arcs and in between issues after issue 6 or so. HOW do you have Ottley drawing Spider-Man, and NEVER get Venom in there to fight him or team up?! In fact, the closest he came to doing it was a TIE-IN issue for Absolute Carnage.

Jeez...maybe the hack case for Spencer is pretty strong.

Ottley was supposed to be the main draw of the new book and he was hardly ever the artist.

I actually agree with that as a negative. I mean instead of having Ottley draw Hunted for example, they put Ramos on it. Yuck. It was Spencer's first big storyline within his run and the main artist isn't even on it. Stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"