Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't you heard? I'm the Gif master around here, so I tend to use them a lot.It's a way of expressing my emotions or how I'm feeling at the time.:D

Yet you needed help with you avy haha! ;)

Haven't you heard? I'm the Gif master around here, so I tend to use them a lot.It's a way of expressing my emotions or how I'm feeling at the time.:D

child-please.gif

I thought that was Loki?

Nope, that's Thor.

Um I don't think I can write a full review until I have a second viewing, but here are my thoughts, current rating, and ranking with the rest of the MCU.

• The action scenes were great. :up:
    Frigga was awesome with the little that she had. :up:
    Volstagg, Fandral, and Sif still had a smaller role, but were great in the scenes they were in nonetheless.
    Had the right balance of action AND humor, imo there were just a few moments where humor was ill placed, however the humor does not detract from the film, I may say it is a plus.
    Malekith was not the greatest villain, however knowing his past that was cut helped me sympathize with him more.
    Loki/Thor and Loki/Frigga scenes were great, hell any scenes with Hiddleston interacting with someone else is great. I even loved the scene when [BLACKOUT]Kurse goes up to Loki's cell, decides not to break him out, and then Loki tells him where to go.[/BLACKOUT]
    Jane was more tolerable this time around, however I was left sad that she and Thor are still a thing. What lies here is a Thor/Sif shipper...
    The funeral scene was absolutely breath-taking... I could not even speak a word, all I could do was listen to the music.
    Overall it is a fun ride that I loved experiencing. I am definitely going to see it again in theaters.

I will give it an 8.5 out of 10 for now. After a second viewing, I will see whether I want to raise my score closer to a 9 or to an 8. Seeing it a second time will not only help me take in more feedback for the movie, it will also show me how much I will be able to re watch the movie, which does play a factor into my scoring of the MCU movies, since I feel these movies aren't those that are a great, "Seen it once, but don't ever really need nor want to see it again".

Here is my ranking of the MCU so far:

1. Avengers (9.5)
2. Iron Man 3 (9.2)
3. Iron Man (9)
4. Thor: The Dark World (8.5+-)
5. Captain America: The First Avenger (8)
6. Thor (7.7)
7. Iron Man (6.5)
8. The Incredible Hulk (6)

1. Iron Man
2. The Avengers
3. Thor The Dark World
4. Thor
5. Captain America The First Avenger
6. Iron Man 2
7. The Incredible Hulk
8. Iron Man Three

It's not so much in what he says. It's just watching the video interviews, you can kind of read between the lines that this was not the cut he wanted.

The collider.com interview with Taylor, I think, is the one that clued me in on his unhappiness with portions of this cut.

Sounds like he got ****ed like Norton and Leterrier on Hulk.

We'll never , ever see director's cuts for these films. Since Marvel does't give freedom to the directors in the editing room, what we see in the theater is the only cut Feige/Marvel wants us to see.

I thought it was solid, fun entertainment. It had impressive special effects, it looked expensive, and overall was enjoyable. I'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10, even though it's pure whizz-bang entertainment with nothing to get you thinking afterwards.

Loved the fact it was set in the UK, though it felt like they probably wanted to do that to make sure the other Avengers weren't on hand (so people wouldn't say 'Why isn't Iron Man helping out? blah blah.')

As for my issues with the movie...and there are SPOILERS ahead

1) Odin seemed underwritten
2) Where was Odin at the end, when it revealed that - somehow - Loki was still alive?
3) The Thor/Loki escape from Asgard in the Elves' ship was like something out of Star Wars, it felt like a Disney influence
4) How did Erik Selvig suddenly become a lunatic who streaked at Stonehenge?
5) I thought Stonehenge was going to factor into the film in a big way after that scene and although mentioned again as they calculated where the convergence would occur, the whole 'streaking at Stonehenge' and not wearing his trousers seemed odd and unnecessary
6) What happeened to the Aether?
7) What was that thing that Sif gave to The Collector? Was that the Aether or something else?
8) Minor plot point: Greenwich is not three stops from Charing Cross, it's not even on the same underground line! But a fun moment nonetheless!
9) Where are Jane, Darcy and Selvig actually based? I couldn't get a clear sense of whether they live in the UK or US?
And, yes, I could well have forgotten or overlooked some things in the film that answer those questions, probably because I was caught up in the fun of it all, but I'd like them answering anyway.

Sounds like he got ****ed like Norton and Leterrier on Hulk.

We'll never , ever see director's cuts for these films. Since Marvel does't give freedom to the directors in the editing room, what we see in the theater is the only cut Feige/Marvel wants us to see.

IM3 and Shane Black say hi. ;)

I thought he was alright. Malekith on the other hand...

2) [BLACKOUT]Where was Odin at the end, when it revealed that - somehow - Loki was still alive?[/BLACKOUT]

That was more of a Cliffhanger more than anything else. Can't wait for Thor 3.

3) The Thor/Loki escape from Asgard in the Elves' ship was like something out of Star Wars, it felt like a Disney influence.

That was a nice scene I thought, I loved the banter between Loki and Thor.:funny:

Because Loki mind controlled him in the Avengers.

5) I thought Stonehenge was going to factor into the film in a big way after that scene and although mentioned again as they calculated where the convergence would occur, the whole 'streaking at Stonehenge' and not wearing his trousers seemed odd and unnecessary

It was done for comic relief and to show that Selveig had lost it.

[BLACKOUT]The Collector has it.[/BLACKOUT]

7) [BLACKOUT]What was that thing that Sif gave to The Collector? Was that the Aether or something else?[/BLACKOUT]

The Aether

8) Minor plot point: Greenwich is not three stops from Charing Cross, it's not even on the same underground line! But a fun moment nonetheless!

I don't live in England so I wouldn't know that.:funny:

9) Where are Jane, Darcy and Selvig actually based? I couldn't get a clear sense of whether they live in the UK or US?

They live in the UK but originally come from the US.

I thought it was solid, fun entertainment. It had impressive special effects, it looked expensive, and overall was enjoyable. I'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10, even though it's pure whizz-bang entertainment with nothing to get you thinking afterwards.

Loved the fact it was set in the UK, though it felt like they probably wanted to do that to make sure the other Avengers weren't on hand (so people wouldn't say 'Why isn't Iron Man helping out? blah blah.')

As for my issues with the movie...and there are SPOILERS ahead

2) Where was Odin at the end, when it revealed that - somehow - Loki was still alive?
3) The Thor/Loki escape from Asgard in the Elves' ship was like something out of Star Wars, it felt like a Disney influence
7) What was that thing that Sif gave to The Collector? Was that the Aether or something else?
And, yes, I could well have forgotten or overlooked some things in the film that answer those questions, probably because I was caught up in the fun of it all, but I'd like them answering anyway.

Jane and Darcy are living with Jane mother in London for work reasons.

The clip gives the impression Jane has done nothing but cry for two years. That isn't actually true. She gave up looking for Thor and looking at the equipment that would find him (but left it on). She didn't stop working all together.

I thought he was alright. Malekith on the other hand...

That was more of a Cliffhanger more than anything else. Can't wait for Thor 3.

That was a nice scene I thought, I loved the banter between Loki and Thor.:funny:

Because Loki mind controlled him in the Avengers.

It was done for comic relief and to show that Selveig had lost it.

[BLACKOUT]The Collector has it.[/BLACKOUT]

The Aether

I don't live in England so I wouldn't know that.:funny:

They live in the UK but originally come from the US.

I live in England I didn't know that. I'm not from London though.:cwink:

Finally seen this now, some good and some bad in this, Loki was the best thing about it and really stood out especially compared against Malekith who was yet another weak Marvel bad guy.

Some of the comedy was good, again Loki especially, some of it was bordering on the silly and Darcy and her Intern just pulled me out of the movie entirely like they were beamed in from another film.

Also these Marvel film are a bit ham-fisted with there twists, not a lot of subtle work in those areas, far too obvious.

Some of the fights were fairly entertaining though and the CGI was mostly good. Overall a decent Marvel film but not one that stands out.

7/10

With half of the film set in the UK it had a great opportunity to introduce Brian Braddock to the MCU...:csad:

Speaking of which was there any particular reason this film's Earth parts were set in Britain?

Speaking of which was there any particular reason this film's Earth parts were set in Britain?

I thought it was because of plot related reasons (i.e. Stonehenge) and the fact that Marvel needed a place which could possibly pose a realistic response time issue for SHIELD.

Eh, it really doesn't play into the films plot all that much. Although the SHIELD thing makes sense I guess.

Eh, it really doesn't play into the films plot all that much. Although the SHIELD thing makes sense I guess.

Honestly it's good that one of these films ended up outside of America ...... needed a change of scenery. They already did the Chitauri invasion in NYC and since this features yet another invasion, it was a wise move.

I've seen it again now and I enjoyed it more the second time.

As for the reason it's set in England I'd say that it's probably to make it more global. It makes sense that not everything happens in the US. AoS is of course an even bigger step towards that.

Some people really want to feel as of they're the master at decoding things. There is no way that while watching this, that you all knew that Loki did what he did.

IM3 and Shane Black say hi. ;)

Based on Marvel's prior experience, their movies done by writer/director's and not just directors are better and feel more like a film, rather than the "studio made" feel that TDW and some of their other films give. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. If the streak continues, it means that GOTG and AoU will be the ones to watch

Solid, good fun, entertainment. Well crafted – but the drama, and supposed darkness, had no impact.

Lots of humor, not all of it worked, but some did – as humor. Cause unlike Iron Man 3, it felt more unbalanced and didn't always mesh with the story/feel as a whole.

Third act was one of the best in a Marvel Studios movie. The humor was at it's best there, and the ending battle was inventive and exciting.

7/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"