Favorite Characters vs. Favorite Movies

JTStarkiller

Sidekick
Reaction score
I try not to be biased when it comes to movies, or anything for that matter. But many times the idea that I am is there.

Do any of you have a similar relationship between your favorite characters and favorite comic book movies? Meaning that if you made a list of favorite characters in order, it would roughly be the same as your favorite films in order?

I've always loved Batman and Superman, ever since I was a kid. Not surprisingly, Batman Begins, Superman: The Movie, and Superman Returns would probably be my favorite three superhero flicks. I've also never really understood the fascination with the two Spider-Man films. I've always thought the acting, action, story, and effects are much weaker than other films. But then again, I've never really felt strongly about the Spider-Man character to begin with.

I often ask myself, am I just lucky that my favorite characters get the best writing, directing, and actors to play them? Or am I a bit biased underneath?

Just curious if anyone else has similar thoughts.

Well, you said you love Batman and Superman, and love BB, S:TM, and SR, but how do you feel about the other movies with those characters? I mean, I dont even have to guess to know you hate Batman and Robin, Superman III and Superman: The Quest for Peace (everyone hates those) but do you consider the Burton batflicks and Superman II to be some of your favorite films?

As for myself, I wouldn't say i'm too biased. There are several characters I never really cared much for, whose films I enjoyed (Blade, Daredevil, Punisher), and there are characters I love who had films I didn't like (the old Batman and Superman movies). So no, I dont think i'm TOO biased.

With some movies it's a factor, with others, not at all. I'm sure my enjoyment of Batman Begins was augmented by my liking of the character. But then there's movies like X-Men where my enjoyment of it really has no basis on how much I like the characters in it.

There's movies like Spider-Man, Superman: The Movie, The Punisher that I like, but I'm really not a fan of either character, nor does it make me a fan.

And then there's stuff like Batman89, Superman Returns, etc that actually makes me a fan of a character I really didn't have much interest in before. I think those are really the most enjoyable movies to me for that reason.

CConn said:
And then there's stuff like Batman89, Superman Returns, etc that actually makes me a fan of a character I really didn't have much interest in before. I think those are really the most enjoyable movies to me for that reason.

Yeah, definitely. I think Hellboy was one of those for me.

As for the previous question, no, I'm not a fan of BF or B&R, and not of SIII or SIV. And only in the last few years did I realize that B89 and BR aren't quite as good as I thought. I still enjoy them very much, but they're missing key elements that Begins got right.

Superman II is also fairly enjoyable, but I feel it's overrated. Can't wait for Donner's cut.

Well not to be snyde, but if you put SR in your top 3 comic films, there is a bit of bias there.

I think I used to be more bias when I ranked X-Men and Spider-Man above Superman and B'89 (and I am a Batman fan, but admittedly more a casual on/off observer of Superman) and certainly when I enjoyed the Daredevil Theatrical Cut but times have changed. I still enjoy the Director's Cut of that film but see it as very flawed and messy now.

I t hink my top 5 do include my favorites (Spider-Man 2 is my tops, followed by Batman Begins and X2) but then again I also have B'89 in there (certainly not the most faithful Batman movie) and V for Vendetta (a graphic novel which I have read but never been a huge fan of). And I also rank S'78 and SR above SM1 and X-Men now.

DACrowe said:
Well not to be snyde, but if you put SR in your top 3 comic films, there is a bit of bias there.
Well, I think SR's the best superhero movie yet, I can guarantee you it's hardly because of bias. Sure, I like Superman, but no more than Spider-Man, or Daredevil, or a hundred other superheroes; I was never particularly enamored with Superman: The Movie either; but SR blew me away. I often say, I now understand how those STM fans felt.

No because most of my favorite superheroes don't have movies and probably never will have movies. My favorite characters, in this order are:

1. Green Arrow
2. Green Lantern (Alan Scott)
3. Superman
4. Hourman (Rex Tyler)
5. Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)

That being said, none of the Superman movies are really favorites of mine. My favorite comic book movies are Sin City, Batman Begins and V for Vendetta.

I think it works against my favorite characters and their movies. I havnet kept up with comics in a long time, but I was always a Wolverine fan, so I expect the most out of these movies. With X-Men I didn't expect much because I didn't like the trailer or anything, I did not even go to the theater to see it, but after I got it on DVD, I really liked it, so by the time Last Stand came out I was expecting so much out of it that even though it was good, I was still let down by it.

I have never read any Blade or Hellboy comics but enjoyed the movies.

I guess though my favorite two charactors are Wolvie and Spider-Man and of their 5 movies, they'd make the top 5 of my comic book movies of all time. So I guess I'm bias when it comes to my favorite characters movies

Not biased at all because i never read any comic book or watched any of the cartoons

Everyone has a bias...whether you know it or not. The trick is not letting it influence you. I was never a DC comic fan..but surprisingly, I still feel that Superman the movie, may be the greatest film of it's genre. I still would put Batman Begins right under it and the original Batman right under that. I was never an X-fan either but I also recognize X2 as one of the greatest films of that genre as well. I was however a big Spider-man comic fan, and honsetly feel those films were great so there is no conflict there for me.
If a movie is disapointing in any way, I don't allow it to effect how I feel about the character or visa-versa. I personaly overall enjoyed the Hulk and Punisher but am able recognized their flaws despite being two of my favorite characters. Conversely, I had never read V for Vendetta and was blown away by the movie.

And if a movie sucks...I'll acknowledge it flat out sucks.

I can't talk for others....but I have no bias based upon what I like to read and the movies that are made from them.

Hellboy is one of my favorite comic based movies....and I have yet to read one of the comics.

Two of my favorite characters have both had movies made from them....Doc Savage and Captain America.....and they were two of the worst adaptations made.

I grew up reading primarily Marvel comics.....and Batman Begins and Superman the Movie are the top comic adaptations.

I don't really have a bias towards this subject either.

I'm more of an X-Men fan, but I've always known that Batman Begins and Superman in essential are better movies than the first X-flick.

When it comes to TV shows, I've always felt that Batman: TAS was better than X-Men: TAS.

Well i like X-men and X1&X2 were pretty sweet. Hellboy was a good film that drew me into the comics. And i don't like superman, so i dislike the films, except the one with the kryptonians, that's fun. But the other kinda suck.

Phantom is a good film, often underaterd due to it's shoddy ending, and phantom is a really great character, same goes for shadow. Shadow is easily one of my fav characters, but the movie underachieved, although had some breathtaking sets.

Spider is a fav character of mine, but no film to talk bout:( , also constantine is cool, and the film is too, but does lack an ending.

Blade is a realy good comic, the films aren't half bad either, a lot more accessible than the comics. Spider-man is my fav comic, prob coz of the 1990's series and the brilliant cast of villains he had.

Hulk never really interested me and the film was the same, SPAWN, how badly did they mess up that movie!!! the biggest injustice in comic book movies ever!!!

Batman is quite cool, batman and batman returns are the best in my opinion, but begins is still pretty cool.

I don't think there's a relation between fav. characters and films for me, but i can see that there is for some people. oh, dick tracy was cool, but should have had nick the nose in! he's the best!!!

My favorite comic book super hero is Spider-Man because me and him have kind of the same personility because we both make lame jokes when it comes to talking trash and we both just wanna help people. And my favorite comic book movie I would say is Spider-Man 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"