The Winter Soldier Favourite characters in Cap 2

Ms. Marvel

Screwed up Avenger
Reaction score
Who did you think gave the best performances or which characters did you enjoy the most?

Cap and Pierce indeed.

Wish more people would post in this, I wonder what everyone thought of Mackie/Falcon!

Falcon is great and Mackie is awesome. He deserves more and I hope he gets more. Jesus, Whedon, you had one job.

Redford lends plenty of gravitas to his portrayal of Pierce.

Bucky... I don't like Bucky, that much. I enjoy cracking jokes about the punk in comics, but Sebastian Stan is really wonderful.

Chris brought his a-game for Steve, both in terms of emotion and physicality.

Maria is a BAMF, too.

And I even want more Batroc.

Cap had some great moments with the various characters. We get to see him make jokes and small talk, we get to see him flirt, we get to see him in emotional pain, we get to see him angry and unsure of who to trust, and we get to see him be the badass leader and selfless, fearless, inspirational figure that we all know him to be from the comics. It's great that they were able to do so much with a straight-laced character like Captain America who a lot of casual fans probably think is too "good" or boring. Not to mention his fighting is off the chain. Cap clearly spent his free time watching MMA and Asian martial arts films since being thawed out.

I liked Widow showcasing not only her fighting skills but also her wits, intelligence, and charm. It was cool that you got to see that even for a spy/assassin she has a deep sense of loyalty to certain people. There were a few moments where she also shows her vulnerability and true character, and it was a welcome change for her. Also, she looked gorgeous in some scenes. Love that long, straight hair.

Falcon was slightly underused I think but he was pretty good. He just comes off as a genuine, straight forward guy who is kind of star struck by Cap. He believes in Steve and as a result is willing to follow him to hell and back. I think they could've wrote him better lines in a few spots but I think Mackie does a good job with what he was given and I'm sure he'll get a lot more development in a sequel.

It was also nice to see Fury get some more characterization and do more than sit around glaring at people with his one good eye. He was used just enough I think.

Pierce, played by Redford, was a pretty well-done character that constantly shows just how ruthless he is. One of my favorite moments was
when his housekeeper happens to return to his apartment unannounced and sees him meeting with the Winter Soldier. You can actually hear the sincere regret and disappointment in his tone as he shoots her twice because she has seen too much.

The Winter Soldier was really imposing and had a great on-screen presence. I would've liked to hear him talk more or for them to sell the final battle a bit better, but otherwise he was pretty good. One of my few complaints with the movie is that WS could've used a bit more development. No big deal though, we'll see where they take the character in Cap 3.

Other supporting characters all did a solid job too. Agent 13, Rumlow, Hill, etc. all had their share of cool moments, even if most of them didn't get much screen time. As far as Rumlow,
I kind of like the whole "this isn't personal" thing between him and Cap in the elevator, and Cap replying "it kind of feels personal." I feel like that specific line and sentiment behind it is going to resurface in the next Cap movie when he is officially Crossbones and carries a major grudge. Ie. "It IS personal now."

So my verdict? I liked all the characters. Everybody got to do some cool stuff and everybody got to be a bit weak and vulnerable by the end. It's not often you get to see this kind of thing happen in a comic book movie (or any movie) so it really stood out to me. The good guys actually feel like good people you can believe in rather than characters who just fight bad guys because they're supposed to. I mean we had a handful of villains and they all got their moments and nobody got shafted. Many comic films can't even do one villain correctly. If nothing else, this movie is a great accomplishment in the area of character development alone, nevermind the spectacular action and interesting premise.

Even though he had limited stuff to do, i absolutely loved any time TWS appeared on screen. He was just so badass and Terminator like. I kept saying to my girlfriend "HS he's awesome!".

Even though he had limited stuff to do, i absolutely loved any time TWS appeared on screen. He was just so badass and Terminator like. I kept saying to my girlfriend "HS he's awesome!".

This

I think all the characters were great in this. From Cap all the way to Rumlow's random right hand man. :funny:

Off topic, but I watched Zero Dark Thirty the other day, and both Crossbones and his random right-hand man were members of the SEAL unit that took down OBL. Starlord was there, too... Makes me wonder.

you know who i thought was cool and was a complete nobody was
the shield nerd who refused to launch the helicarriers and had rumlow put a pistol to his head
i freaking thought that was COOL! not every hero needs super soilder serum or wings to be a herp i love that dude told the others to to go %^& themselves! that was AWESOME!! i dig when the everyday dude like the old dude in avengers refuse to bow to Loki and this guy in TWS !

All of them? That's a good enough answer for now ;)

Falcon - absolutely loved Mackie's performance and I really hope he gets more screen-time in the future!

Oh and the security guard at the museum :funny:

I thought Cap, Widow, Fury and Bucky were all really strong. Evans gets to be a bit more playful, without losing his earnestness. Widow gets to actually show some emotion, and Scarlet played it beautifully. Fury was his usual ornery and hilarious self. But as usual, there was more to Fury and Jackson played the underlying sadness great imo. And of course Stan didn't get a lot of time, but he made what he got count.

Hill had the best "smaller" role imo. Every moment with her was badass and great. Security camera ownage. :funny:

I was not interested in the Black Widow or Hawkeye in the Avengers. In this though, I thought Scarlett was the MVP. They really nailed that character.

Black Widow was the most pleasant surprise for me. I mean, I thought Joss did a really good job of turning her from a prop/cipher (in IM2) into an actual character in TA, but in this one she became a much better-defined, more dynamic and memorable character. Her scenes with Evans were all gold.

After her, I'd say Cap and Falcon. Evans has made Cap the most interesting Avenger to me, and Mackie was a great addition to this franchise.

Yes! Though I think I was the only guy in theater who laughed when I saw him.

Every character in this was fantastic. That's a rare thing in a film of this genre.

:up:

Scarlett's portrayal of BW was the best for me, no joke. I watched IM2 yesterday and the difference is uncanny. She's gotten comfortable in the role and it's the little things that make her character so great like when she startles Cap by chewing gum in his ear or...

When she totally fooled Pierce by disguising herself as a WSC member. Best part of the film.

Armin Zola was really well adapted. The used the TV screen to make it as good as an adaptation of how he is portrayed onto something sellable on the big screen.

Hard to beat Cap though, stunning portrayal of him really.

Black Widow. I mostly like Scarlett's acting performance.
:up: This.

Evans was good in his role again, and Samuel L. Jackson had me smiling. Falcon was a good addition to the story as well. He felt like a real person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"