World Your least favourite characters

Gambit...he just never was appealing to me.....

Emma had at a time a relationship with havok and Wolvie(Make out). So to me that subject is a between. I like jean for the Endsong, But Emma could become pure daimond. that is a wierd trick.
:huh: :huh:

Gambit isn't lame at all. He's just an acquired taste to some. It depends on what you like. I have loved him, and Rogue just as much, since I first met them in the comics. Remy was an unwilling participant in the Morlock Massacre, he didn't know he was leading the Marauders to kill them. As soon as he saw what was happening, he tried to stop it, but could only save one little girl.

Stop bashing Gambit! :cmad: You never had read his series, never read much about that character but you're talking such bull**** and calling him a traitor! Typical Gambit-haters who have NO clue about him!
One thing guys - where are you comming from? Newsarama? CBR?

We Gambitfans have enough hard times to survive (for example bad written Gambit, no Gambit in the movies etc.) then listen to your unlogical comments! Just because Gambit wasn't well written for almost 10 years (with exception for his series and XXM) it doesn't mean that he sucks!
Of course you can dislike the character, but everytime I read mostly of those typical "traitor etc." comments about Gambit I'm gonna grrrrr!:cmad:
Give me a REAL description.

I still say Gambit.

Exactly what is his point in the X-Men?

What is Cable's point? What is Wolverine's point? What is Bishop's point? What is Psylocke's point? What is Colossus point? What is what is what is what is!
My god, if you have no clue then stay quiet...

Every mutant has his/her reasons to join the X-Men. You just have to find out.

to other Gambitfans out here: we have a glimmer of hope ---> Mike Carey! He starts to like Gambit, just read his interviews on his blog! You'll be surprised! :D

Yes, someone else agrees with me. Gambit has been put through enough bad stuff already. Thankfully, Chris Claremont always loved him as does former head editor Bob Harras. Mike Carey has shown a real desire to do Gambit justice and fix what's been done. With our main man as a Horseman of Apocalypse, it's a hard time for us and to see people ragging on him breaks our hearts even more.:csad:

Yes, someone else agrees with me. Gambit has been put through enough bad stuff already. Thankfully, Chris Claremont always loved him as does former head editor Bob Harras. Mike Carey has shown a real desire to do Gambit justice and fix what's been done. With our main man as a Horseman of Apocalypse, it's a hard time for us and to see people ragging on him breaks our hearts even more.:csad:

There's really hope, emmymae! :woot: Mike starts to like the character, he has visited New Orleans and said that he had a great time there :woot:
I think he mentioned once that he had read a book about Cajuns but I'm not sure...

Gambit isn't lame at all. He's just an acquired taste to some. It depends on what you like.
Basically sums up pretty much why some character are liked more than others in the X-men fan base.....I like rogue but could careless about gambit.....

Too bad you don't love them both. Romy forever:heart:

Yes, Crazy Dragon, Carey read a book about the Cajuns. I have been studying them for years. I'm glad he thinks Gambit's cool. Thank goodness someone respects him.:yay:

I do agree that people don't give Gambit the credit he needs. The guy snaps rouge from Shaw's Control and not to mention that in the Future He becomes the Witness and The New Sun! Gambit is in my Top 5 Fav X-men

Stop bashing Gambit! :cmad: You never had read his series, never read much about that character but you're talking such bull**** and calling him a traitor! Typical Gambit-haters who have NO clue about him!

What is Cable's point? What is Wolverine's point? What is Bishop's point? What is Psylocke's point? What is Colossus point? What is what is what is what is!

to other Gambitfans out here: we have a glimmer of hope ---> Mike Carey! He starts to like Gambit, just read his interviews on his blog! You'll be surprised! :D

Wow, the rage. The anger. The numerous times you ask "what is the point." Good stuff. To bad that Gambit is, well, just not that great. As I have said before, he was a great character turned into....well, death. He kinda stinks like death now to - but I have hope that Carey will lift him up and give us something to talk about (besides grey gambit). :cwink:

Well, he's only been Death since last April and since he's not himself it doesn't apply to the character.:oldrazz: Looking at Gambit's past appearances and because I love him (and Rogue just as much) I know he's great. Carey says he's a really cool character and he wrote Constantine, so he knows what he's talking about.

Snikt, my brother's favorite character is Wolverine but he says that since he's everyone's favorite character it really takes away from the joy of being a fan of the character.

CrazyDragon and I are holding a candle for Gambit.:heart:

Wow, the rage. The anger. The numerous times you ask "what is the point." Good stuff. To bad that Gambit is, well, just not that great. As I have said before, he was a great character turned into....well, death. He kinda stinks like death now to - but I have hope that Carey will lift him up and give us something to talk about (besides grey gambit).

Typical gambithater. You're soooo wrong. ;)
What I have noticed about most Gambithaters is that they're using the same comments about Gambit:
traitor, "the Death-thing is the best what happened to him", useless, etc.
But I'm sure that you've never read any of his series or good written stories.

I give you some examples why I think that Gambit is a very deep character:

Gambit works great as a character even if he would lose his powers. He doesn't use his powers often to reach his goal - he rather uses his brain and experience in thieving ;)
And what about Cyclops for example? What is he if he lose his powers?
Going to apply for an early pension? lol (Nothing big against Cyclops but that's just true)

Now here an example quote from Joe Quesada:

JQ: Gambit came out during the glut and when everything X-Men was making people rich. That said, he may be one of the most interesting characters to come out of that era. His origin, his ancestry, all of it is fantastically Shakespearean. Add the cool visual and a fantastic name and you have the building blocks of a great character.

JQ: Here’s a good test that gives you an idea of why I think Gambit is cool, take away his mutant powers, take away his cool black and red eyes and he’s still remarkably interesting. The whole Thieves Guild thing and his upbringing - it’s just fascinating stuff. You could right a movie around this character without ever having to use a single super power.
But for now, as you may or may not know, Gambit's current status is as A Horseman of Apocalypse. Who knows where this new status will lead him?

And here a quote about Remy/Rogue form Chris Claremont (hey Emmymae :D)

"Scott and Jean can keep their precious 'psychic rapport', what we have here are two very
hot-blooded River Folk with a Gulf chaser. Can't get much more passionate, or primally honorable, than that." - Chris Claremont about Remy+Rogue

Gambit is charming, humorously, dark, sneaky and mysterious. His mind is not reachable for telepaths and he has to fight his inner demons everyday. You never know what he's thinking because he's very good in hiding emotions and thoughts and makes through his sweet talking people think that everything is alright.

In addition, Gambit is an empath.

Here is a better explanation about his character:

"Gambit is a master thief. Hints place him as the best or one of the best in the Marvel Universe and quite capable of getting into, out of, and stealing almost anything without the use of his mutant powers. Gambit is an expert in hand-to-hand fighting especially the use of a bo staff and has incredible aim with throwing objects. Gambit has shown his bravery in battle on numerous occasions.
Gambit has also been shown to be very cunning and willing to pick and choose his battles if possible. Hence the name, Gambit.
Unlike most of the other X-Men, he has been known to try to talk his way out of a fight or more
likely to buy time to set up his plan and obtain an advantage. He can be very sneaky, observant and patient as seen in Uncanny X-Men #274-276, and does not mind looking weak, afraid, trapped, or hesitant to have his foe underestimate him or to wait for his chance. He also did this in X-Tinction Agenda when he took a spike in his leg to later use as a means of escape. He will also try to anger his foe to get them to make a mistake. He beat Wolverine in a mock battle with his cunning and understanding of people, and was willing to wait in Uncanny X-Men #349 until he had some idea of what he was up against rather than jump head long into almost certain death. In contrast, if not for dumb luck, Joseph's "we must escape now" plan would have killed them all. All that said, Gambit can also be emotional and reckless in battle if he perceives that is what is required or if someone or something he cares for is in danger. And he lives for the excitement and thrill of the game, the adrenaline rush, loves the company of interesting women, and is an accomplished flirt. Gambit is also a master cardsharp and gambler and weighs the risks based on what there is to be gained or lost. He is strongly loyal to and protective of those who he considers his family. He will gamble everything for those he cares about and he cares about things very deeply. Sometimes, because of his past, he feels inadequate as a person of worth in comparison to those around him. Gambit's greatest accomplishments and greatest downfalls have come when he has let his emotions override his instinctive cunning and wits since those are the times he risks everything. Marvel has, for the most part, ignored many of Gambit's skills in favor of his powers which seems a detriment to the character..."

About his history:
I think you know already that he was abandoned because of his eyes and raised by the Thieves Guild. During the years in the Thieves Guild he became a master thief and could work for the X-Men to steal some evil, dangerous projects or thingies of some evil scientist or he could be used as a spy or what hell I know.
(but sadly, nooooooo)
About the mutant massacre:
Here's a good explaination if you still think that Remy is a "murderer" (Morlock Massacre):

"Sinister Connections
At some unspecified time during Gambit's roaming, his mutant ability to charge matter with kinetic
energy became so powerful that he was unable to control it. An acquaintance of his, Grey Crow (better known as Scalphunter), probably introduced him to Sinister at this point, suggesting that the scientist could help Gambit. Unfortunately, Sinister, although successful in getting Gambit's powers under control through brain surgery, demanded a terrible price in return for his services. The vile vialInitially, all seemed well as Gambit stole items for Sinister, who was obviously very pleased with his work. However, he was then contracted to gather a group of mercenaries together for Sinister who would later be known as the Marauders. (This also explains the connection with Sabretooth that was intimated in early appearances.) Ironically, his sense of honor lead him to feel it was necessary to repay Sinister, forced him to temporarily overlook the very criminal nature of the mercenaries he was gathering. To indicate that the debt was repaid, Sinister gave him the silver vial, which probably contained whatever he had removed from Gambit to dampen his powers. Although he speculated it would mean some illegal activity, it's clear he really knew nothing about Sinister's real plans and didn't want to know any more than he did.
Gambit was breaking off their arrangement when Sinister asked him to do one more job saying he knew Gambit's price to do it, but this "price" has not been revealed. Evidently, however, Sinister offered him something he could not refuse as Gambit agree and ended up leading the Marauders into the Morlock tunnels. It is unclear if Gambit was with them when they left Los Angeles. The Marauders originally had been shown following the Morlock, Tommy, to New York and into the Morlock tunnels. He may have met them there, after they'd killed her. Gambit believed that it was big heist or something where killing could likely occur if necessary but never suspected the resulting massacre of men, women, and children. He later admitted that he had a bad feeling about the job, but had told himself to ignore it, this was a job he needed to do. Regardless, when he found out what was happening, he tried to stop the Marauders. Sabretooth attacked Gambit and left him for dead, but he managed to escape, even saving the Morlock child, Sarah, who later became Marrow. Despite his interest in Gambit and admiration for his skills, Sinister apparently considered him expendable for this job, probably because he had told Sinister he wanted to leave his employ. Gambit and Little Sarah Flee the Massacre Gambit was sickened, both physically and mentally, by the Morlock Massacre and after that it seems he spent much time trying to make up for his mistake. This seems to have been a few years later since Gambit had already been involved with Spat and Grovel prior to then. It is also obvious that Gambit didn't like Sinister or the work and didn't want to do his bidding, but there are hints from Sinister that at some time he helped Gambit out. It is unclear when this was (it is even possible this is from Remy's childhood) or if it has some connection to Sinister's theater in Seattle (Essex Theater, named after him) or if that was just their meeting place. While it is apparent that Gambit considers them "squared away" for now however Sinister hints that Gambit will always be tied to him."

Gambit was always missunderstood and he always tried to make everything alright - but somehow everything seemed always to backfire.

I could give you more aspects and reasons but I'm tired already, lol.

Before you say, that Gambit is always whining and useless etc. let me explain you one thing:
Fact is that Gambit wasn't well written for almost 10 years. After the antarctica-thing everything went downhill with him.
No writer besides Chris Claremont, Jim Lee (who works for DC now) or Fabian Nicieza seem to get him right. Austen and Milligan were even commiting character assassination to him by making him blind by his own cards (for crying out loud!) and making him a horrible Horseman with no reasons at all.
Truth is that Gambit isn't easy to write - but not even an amateur could have such stupid ideas making him such a horrible Horseman etc. with such a dumb reason! (because the X-Men aren't listening to me! Whawhawha!!)

Gambit was killed in AoA and Ultimate X-Men - in X-Men he's floating somewhere as Deathbit (*shudders* Hate that name!)

We Gambitfans have absolutely nothing left to read about our fav. Cajun! No AoA, no Ultimate, no Astonishing, no Exiles, no Uncanny, etc...

Oh and don't forget the movies!!!

So still wondering why we're so angry?

But now we have hope: Mike Carey! I think he starts to like the character - he has even visited New Orleans and read a book about Cajuns .
I think we can start to think optimistic again :D

Anyways,
If Gambit is great or not is your oppinion.
Everybody has different tastes, true.
But at least stop with this non-sense Deathbit-is-the-best-thing-to-Gambit because I know that you can't be serious by meaning that - you don't like Gambit anyway.
And if you've been serious - then you have either a very strange taste or you like masochistic-stuff if you know what I mean, lol.

But if he would be really a dull character, Marvel would have killed him off long time ago and fans wouldn't give a crap if he would appear in the movies or not.
So tell me, why so much people want him in the movies if he isn't that great?
Why are there many save-Gambit-campaigns out there?
Why is Gambit an A-list character and not a B-list, or C-list?
Why was his series better sold than Nightcrawlers for example?
How come?

I'm living in Germany (pardon my bad english, lol) and sadly X-Men isn't very known here (because of the whole

Manga-and-Anime-fanatism here).
But some of my friends who like X-Men love the Cajun as well and know him - even when he didn't play in the movies. Most guys here are X-Men fans because of the movies. So Gambit is to most of them totally unknown.
I'm pretty sure if he would play in the movies, it would increase his popularity much more.
On holidays I'm visiting a part of my family in Poland and two of my cousins are X-Men fans and they love Gambit ;)

I tell you, Gambit HAS potentional. But sadly, no writer seems to use it and most of them even ignore some of his characteristic aspects (for example the empath-part, his great thieving skills etc.)

That's really, really sad :( .......

btw, have you ever read Wolverine & Gambit: Victims ? ;)

But at least we have the good ol' fanfics and fanarts ^^

Phew, I think I'm done, lol

If that doesn't convice you dislikers of Gambit of his value, then I don't know what will. Great job CrazyDragon! Gambit and Rogue are my favorite couple and both my number one favorite characters. I don't care what people say, Romy is here to stay. It'll take a while to fix things to where they can be together again, but when that happens, I'll be there cheering.

If that doesn't convice you dislikers of Gambit of his value, then I don't know what will. Great job CrazyDragon! Gambit and Rogue are my favorite couple and both my number one favorite characters. I don't care what people say, Romy is here to stay. It'll take a while to fix things to where they can be together again, but when that happens, I'll be there cheering.

Thank you emmymae :)

I just can't stand it when haters say "he/she sucks" or "he/she is the worst thing what could happen to Marvel" etc.

Everybody likes different characters. Not everybody has to like Wolverine, Cyclops, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Storm, Jean, etc.

But we're not in the pre-school anymore to say "Hehe, red is cool and green SUCKS!"
I ask you, how old are yah?
That's why I often dislike "forumgangsters" - they often leave a primitive, non-sense comment about a character and that's it.

If you don't like Gambit, then just say that you don't like him and done!
And not such bull***** like "the-death-thing-is-the-best-thing-what-could-ever-happen-to-Gambit" or "he sucks"

Not everybody thinks the same way, you have to know.

So just say that you personally dislike him.

Whoa! I didn´t know there was this whole Gambit war going on over here. Go team! :woot:

Civil War for Remy! There's strength in numbers. The best Cajun a Rogue ever loved.:heart:

Gambit
Big time most hateable x-man of all times.
It's just that i don't like anything about him.
His love for Rogue is pathetic.
His behavior is disgusting.
His look is terrible.
What is he good for?
Do the X-Men need a shooter?
They have Cyk and Storm.
Need a lone wolf?
They have Logan.
I dont get the spot he should fill in.

Was für eine Überraschung - du kommst also aus Deutschland, Hannover?
Und Gambithasser? ;)

Nun, Ich liebe Gambit.
Die Gründe habe ich schon oben in meiner fetten Liste aufgeschrieben.

Ich sag dir jetzt mal was:

Gambit is NICHT der meistgehasste X-Men - sonst würde er ja wohl logischerweise nicht auf der A-liste der X-Men stehen und wäre auch nicht der meist begehrte Film-charakter.
Du magst wohl Gambit zu hassen, aber wir nicht. Nicht jeder ist deiner Meinung, Kumpel - das solltest du dir merken.

Noch eine Sache zu deiner unsinnigen Liste:

Lonewolf? Das sind ja wohl Cable, Deadpool, und noch viele weitere Charktere.
Also nicht nur Wolvie und Gambit ;)

Shooter? Da haben wir neben Cyke und Storm noch Longshot, Havok, Pete Wisdom, etc.

Gambit is ein Meisterdieb. Man könnte ihn sehr gut als Spionen einsetzen, da er in nahezu jeden Gebäude einbrechen kann, ohne bemerkt zu werden.
Es gibt noch viele andere Möglichkeiten.
Du solltest dir einfach mal seine Biografie durchlesen.

Mach mal lieber deine Hausaufgaben bevor du anfängst so einen Blödsinn zu schreiben :whatever:

Wie sagt man so schön?
Wenn man nix weiß - Klappe halten ;)

I suggest you to help me out a little instead of sitting there and watching me defending our fav. Cajun ;)

C'mon Gambitfans! Move! lol

I have been. Look at my posts in the X-Men forum. I gave a few treatises on why Gambit is so wonderful and defended the Romy relationship. I had an ongoing debate just recently in the thread. You are very well-spoken in your arguments, way better than I am, though I humbly try to do so. I also had a very heated debate with Sturmwolf in the Gambit Casting Speculation Thread.

So here goes in this thread:

My people, Crazy Dragon is right. I have rarely, if ever, encountered a character as wonderful as Gambit. He has the right mix of charm, angst, humor, darkness and personality. I don't understand how people could think of him as either ineffective or unnecessary. And I will never understand why people think his love for Rogue is pathetic. Many people I have encountered do. Gambit clearly loves Rogue and she loves him. This does not make her a soap opera queen. It's the most real romantic relationship in the comics.

There has been some bad writing, especially in the past two or three years. However, right now Mike Carey is doing an excellent job. He plans on doing Gambit justice. See the French Quarter website at www.geocities.com/thefrenchquarter03/thefrenchquarter03. Recently he expressed how much he fell in love with the Cajun culture on a recent trip to New Orleans. And he has expressed Gambit as a really cool character. Carey said in an interview that one of the saddest Rogue moments was when she threw Gambit's Queen of Hearts card back at him and told him he had no home upon abandoning him in Antarctica.

Gambit has been written out more than once, blinded by his own card, screwed over by his family, was an unwilling participant in The Mutant Massacre, abandoned by his team and the woman he loved, made into a Horseman of Apocalypse, and used as a throwaway character in the past few story arcs he was a part of. He has endured enough abuse in the comics and deserves way better.

Gambit has been a major part of countless story arcs including: Days of Future Past 2, Invasion of Dimension X, Legion Quest, Phalanx Covenant; and he also had two full-length solo series and two limited series. He's really popular. And he didn't even get into the movies. The part he would have had is the cameo appearance given to Multiple Man in X-3. It's in the video commentary. The writers realized that Gambit deserved a way better part. Thank goodness I love Rogue as much as him because if I didn't, the series wouldn't have given me any joy this past year.

About Romy, here are a few example of Gambit showing his love for Rogue: As Crazy Dragon said, he saved her from Shaw, and I may also add the X-Cutioner. Here's a quote from Chris Claremont himself from the French Quarter website: "Gambit loves Rogue as much as she loves him. Which actually [...] means quite a lot. I mean, she damn near died for him. That has to tell you something. And quite honestly, given the same choice, he'd have made the same sacrifice." He's referring to the Invasion of Dimension X story arc I believe where Rogue went in to free Gambit from the portal he had been forced to the power source for.

Gambit has shown his great love for Rogue, and she for him. There are countless examples. One that comes to mind is in Uncanny #342, the issue in which some of the X-Men get abducted into space by Gladiator to save the Shi'ar Empire from the Phalanx. Anyhow, Rogue is fighting some of the Phalanx when they capture her and are about to imprint her when Gambit rushes in and takes them out. She says to him: "Get outta here, Remy! While you can. Don't throw your life away." And he answers: "Girl, don' you ever listen? Wit'out you...I don't have much of a life." That just melts my heart.

Rogue had a framed picture of both of them in her room that Gambit gave to her that he signed: 'I'd always bet on you. Love, Gambit.' And he had a picture of her in his wallet.

So there you go. Gambit is an awesome character who has proven that he can be a hero. The examples are too numerous to mention in a post, but Crazy Dragon did a great job of putting some misconceptions to rest and explaining his personality and heroicness. Check out his profile at the French Quarter site, The Gambit Guild (UK), and also Wikipedia. Then decide what you think of him. Romy forever!:heart:

I'm down with that.Remy has got to be one of the most romantic character around.If you compare him with Deadpool,you'll get what i mean when it comes to relationships.

I suggest you to help me out a little instead of sitting there and watching me defending our fav. Cajun ;)

C'mon Gambitfans! Move! lol

The thing is i´ve encountered people who dislike Gambit before and believe me there is no way you can change their minds. But you can always try.

Yeah, people are pretty militant about who they like and who they hate. I wish people loved Remy like we do, but alas, some people cannot be convinced. No one can make me like Emma Frost, so there you go.

I'm glad some people share my Gambit (and Rogue) love.

Thanks, Strong Guy.:yay:

We Gambitfans have enough hard times to survive (for example bad written Gambit, no Gambit in the movies etc.) then listen to your unlogical comments! Just because Gambit wasn't well written for almost 10 years (with exception for his series and XXM) it doesn't mean that he sucks!
Of course you can dislike the character, but everytime I read mostly of those typical "traitor etc." comments about Gambit I'm gonna grrrrr!:cmad:
Give me a REAL description.

Every mutant has his/her reasons to join the X-Men. You just have to find out.

1. Calm down there. :up:

2. Colossus' point is to be awesome :up:

Wow, the rage. The anger. The numerous times you ask "what is the point." Good stuff. To bad that Gambit is, well, just not that great. As I have said before, he was a great character turned into....well, death. He kinda stinks like death now to - but I have hope that Carey will lift him up and give us something to talk about (besides grey gambit). :cwink:

Buddy, you gotta let me know when there's Rogue or Gambit bashing going on. I'm always up for watching :D

Dude, no more Gambit and Rogue bashing. It's not cool. I don't know who your favorite characters are, but I have dissed Emma Frost. But I realize that's not cool for her fans so I'm going to be good. I want you Gambit and Rogue haters to do the same.:heart:

I'm not here to contribute, it's just always fun to watch the debating back and forth. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"