FIFA Women’s World Cup Australia-New Zealand 2023

Oh yeah, would love to see Australia get the bronze.
Though Sweden won't go without a fight.
I like Sweden but it would be good for Australia to finish on a high in their home tournament, especially after the amazing support they've generated.

I’ve been rewatching highlights of that England Australia game and loving it. Great to see us starting to find our feet after struggling in the last 16 game. I’m so hyped for Sunday!!

Sweden 2 - 0 Australia

Was hoping to see Australia take the bronze, they played well.
Yet Sweden helped by a somewhat spurious clip(intent?) penalty, never let up, and well earned that second gol.
Congrats Sweden.

Incredibly their 4th time at 3rd.

Next up tomorrow ...

England favorite in terms of bookmakers betting numbers .
England also won when they last faced 22 Euros
England without captain Williamson, Spain without some 8-12 players?
Will be first time for either.

Last edited:
I was also hoping Australia would finish on a high but happy for Sweden too.

Lauren James starts on the bench today. I thought she would having been out for 2 games and after the team (including her replacement) played well in the semi. Great option to have for later in the game though.

Spain have started more sharply and just missed a great chance. Could be a nervy experience.

England look far inferior to Spain. Like they are playing a different sport.

Spain 1 - 0 England

Spain have dominated with possession , and found the shot.

England have been siting back watching Spain , I think they are better on the attack just need to get the ball, not sure if they can switch it ip second half?

Penalty saved! That would have been the end otherwise.

England look far inferior to Spain. Like they are playing a different sport.
They look much sharper and more agile with fast feet moving the ball quickly. England a step behind throughout.

13 minutes injury time.

All over, Spain are champions.

Thought Spain was going to win for a while, and they were the best team of the tournament, easily imo.

England gonna England.

That was a very physical game. I don't know who is a bigger whiner, the Spanish HC or Lucy Bronze.

Happy Putellas get on the pitch. Best player in the world for a while and she gets to claim a World cup winners' medal.

I hate how bad our head announcer is over here. Clearly doesn't watch much of these players, not calling them by the names on their back of their shirts, but the names he has written down. Now I have to listen to Lalas. BLAH!

I hate how bad our head announcer is over here. Clearly doesn't watch much of these players, not calling them by the names on their back of their shirts, but the names he has written down. Now I have to listen to Lalas. BLAH!
That’s terrible, should have done the research if didn’t have the knowledge.

Thought Spain was going to win for a while, and they were the best team of the tournament, easily imo.

England gonna England.

That was a very physical game. I don't know who is a bigger whiner, the Spanish HC or Lucy Bronze.

Happy Putellas get on the pitch. Best player in the world for a while and she gets to claim a World cup winners' medal.
Yeah, good for her to get a WC win.

That’s terrible, should have done the research if didn’t have the knowledge.
They bring homeboy out of cold storage for tournaments, and it shows. He does not watch football in his "free time". :funny:

Well fought, Spain consistently controlled most of the play, putting together chances, England had the drive going in, having won every match, just found themselves picked apart here by a Spain who never let up.
Congrats Spain! Well deserved.
They get to go home to one star on each badge (men's & now woman's), I think they join Germany with that unique distinction, pretty neat.

American announcers are a snore, don't celebrate goals! I have to quickly switch to the latino channels, to hear them losing their minds.
Lala's shtick about England while funny at first, got old too.

Fun tournament, I enjoyed watching.
XSY6IESDTFGWBOTBRXQIT3I6BU.jpg

IXTLWB57AJE4VNN46U2VASQ65I.jpg

Last edited:
The "greatest manager in women's football" decides not to start England's best player, Lauren James in the final of World Cup. Brilliant move.

Anyway, congrats Spain. When they scored that first goal it seemed to suck the life out of the English side, for some reason. Thought the Lionesses were grittier than that.

Still, a result that FIFA should be happy with.The women's game needs to spread the wealth around a little. You can't have the USWNT dominating every tournament.

LOL Queen of Spain!
Can any other team get their Queen to Jump'around! :yay:

Last edited:
The "greatest manager in women's football" decides not to start England's best player, Lauren James in the final of World Cup. Brilliant move.

Anyway, congrats Spain. When they scored that first goal it seemed to suck the life out of the English side, for some reason. Thought the Lionesses were grittier than that.

Still, a result that FIFA should be happy with.The women's game needs to spread the wealth around a little. You can't have the USWNT dominating every tournament.
Lauren James missed the last two matches because of pure selfishness. The manager understands her players better then we do and knew how they'd react if the person who everyone said they couldn't win with, just walked back into the side. The interviews made it clear they were ticked off about it. One does not want bitterness in their side during a final. They could've lost, worse.

If you want to blame someone, blame James. She set up that mess.

I think James could get a 3 match ban that means she’s out for the tournament. It was a blatant act that will get deservedly punished. A shame she don’t have the self control needed (yet anyway) in these high pressure international tournaments, as she could have been the one to win it for us.

I love seeing Japan do well in this and the men’s tournaments. @MarvelFan are you watching by any chance? :D

Hi...big sorry for the very late reply...
Had personal matters that I had to deal with in the past months, so didnt get any chance nor time to frequently logged in like I used to.

I have watched only a few match of group stage and also the one we lost to Sweden.
The hype for Nadeshiko Japan (that's the term for our women's team...hehe) sadly isn't as big as Samurai Blue (our male counterpart), but I still proud of our achievements.
This is a different team than our peak team that won us the world champion in 2011 (back when we still had Homare and Ando, our two aces)...but still a great accomplishment by relatively our young players in this tournament.

Between this and men's world cup (and now FIBA Basketball World Cup!))...we have a very good and respectable team here ;) hehe

Last edited:
Hi...big sorry for the very late reply...
Had personal matters that I had to deal with in the past months, so didnt get any chance nor time to frequently logged in like I used to.

I have watched only a few match of group stage and also the one we lost to Sweden.
The hype for Nadeshiko Japan (that's the term for our women's team...hehe) sadly isn't as big as Samurai Blue (our male counterpart), but I still proud of our achievements.
This is a different team than our peak team that won us the world champion in 2011 (back when we still had Homare and Ando, our two aces)...but still a great accomplishment by relatively our young players in this tournament.

Between this and men's world cup (and now FIBA Basketball World Cup!))...we have a very good and respectable team here ;) hehe
Hope all ok buddy and great to hear from you again.

The Japanese team were exciting here and a shame they didn’t go further. If they are young then they will have more good chances with this team. Hope you also do well in the next men’s WC. I didn’t know you guys were good at basketball!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"