FIFA Women’s World Cup Australia-New Zealand 2023

England vs Australia might be the funnest game of the tournament. Sorry Iceman, but I have a feeling that England might actually get destroyed in this game. Do you know how much this game means to the Australians, playing their mother country in front of their home crowd? Plus England playing without their best player. If England can withstand what is sure to be a wild, emotional first half, with the Australians playing like they're amped up on drugs, they have a shot. If not, could be a long day for England.
I was doing a game while some of the Australian matches were on with some Australians and they were watching the match at the same time and going crazy haha. Definitely have been very passionate about the tournament being at home, even one who knows barely anything about football. :D I’m sure it will mean that much more when they face England at the one sport we’re supposed to be better than them at.

There were various factors behind those eight players making themselves available for the national team at the World Cup. Sources say the RFEF has enacted changes since September 2022. Travel to camps and games has been significantly improved, the quality of opponents in friendlies has risen and new staff have been appointed to help with fitness work and injury prevention and rehabilitation. Players are also said to have more freedom during meetups, whereas before they felt there was too much control exerted on them.
Beyond the changes, sufficient or not, carried out by the RFEF, the players (some more than others) were also under huge external pressure to make themselves available for the World Cup.
Terrible treatment.
Was there something else ? Is it about pay? Any quote. Thanks!
Sounds like for several changes were enacted, and those are happy to be there and playing.
And doing great!
So I will absolutely root for them.
Seems more like the media and some trying to vilify them.

The funniest thing was a friends mother was like - look it shows the Spanish team are so outraged and mistreated like the Americans, they refuse to sing their own National Anthem.
No ... That's cause the Spanish Anthem has no lyrics.:doh::funny:

Up against one of the strongest teams next, should be good.

Last edited:
Half-time 0 - 0
Spain most possession, Sweden best shot at target.

Finally last 10 min All that meandering possession finally pays off, Paralluelo scores for Spain.
Sweden instantly come back with the equalizer. 1-1
And now Spain fire back. 2- 1
That heated up quick. No denying Spain want this. - 7vuh50.gif

End congrats Spain, through to their first final.
Australia - England next!:yay:

Last edited:
Damn you, Spain! :argh:

That super quick 2-1 comback was totally unnecessary lol. But Spain was great, and finally took this. A final for Sweden would've been awesome, but I guess it's just on to the bronze medal game now.

I woke up too late and missed the game, will check highlights later. Should be a tough final for whoever gets through out of Australia and England. Feels like a 50/50 game with crazy home support in Australia for this tournament. I’m happy to see how big it’s got over there.

I like Spain's chances against Australia, I don't like their chances against England with James back. But we'll see.

Got up in time for England Vs Australia. Gonna be huge!! Just hope we’re solid and don’t concede early or the great Aussie support could make a big difference.

England take the lead!! Ella Toone with a great first time shot! We’ve had good possession to this point.

Nice glide into the top-right corner. :cwink:

Epic come back from Australia, decided to make this interesting!
Now 1 -1 !

Last edited:
Sam Kerr scores a great goal to make it 1-1.

Hemp puts England back in the lead, 2-1!!

Wow!
Lionesses relentless.
3- 1

3-1!!! Great play by Hemp again to set up Russo who finishes it well. That’s got to be it now.

Gongrats England!
Definitely shows cool decisive on the attack, they have everything it takes to win this.
Spain like to control, but have trouble finishing.

Sunday...
7vxa0a.gif

Last edited:
England are in the final. That was their best performance in the knockout rounds, much better than the last 16 where they had no fluency. Can’t wait for Sunday.

Not sure why they made it such a long wait?

I’ve arranged to watch the final with family and some family friends who are over from abroad that weekend. Great timing for their visit!

Not sure why they made it such a long wait?
At least more chance that everyone from both teams will be fit and rested and ready to give it everything. There will be the 3rd place playoff on Sat too.

Pure guts by England. To beat red hot Australia, in front of their home crowd, with England missing their top player in James...unbelievable. And they did it in fairly convincing fashion too.
Legendary performance by the Lionesses.

Highlight if anyone wants. Was a good game, love rewatching this. Hopefully the final is even better.

Pure guts by England. To beat red hot Australia, in front of their home crowd, with England missing their top player in James...unbelievable. And they did it in fairly convincing fashion too.
Legendary performance by the Lionesses.
The squad is decent nowadays. They’ve done this all without captain Leah Williamson, player of the tournament (and year) at the last Euros Beth Mead, and Fran Kirby, as well as without promising talent James. Should have an amazing bench when everyone is fully fit, hopefully at the next Euros.

There will be the 3rd place playoff on Sat too.
Oh yeah, would love to see Australia get the bronze.
Though Sweden won't go without a fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"