film noir/gangster classics.

Carmine Falcone

So it goes.
Reaction score
Can someone recommende me some old school film noir/gangster movies from the 40's , 50's or 60's (or other decades) because I like too see some of those but don't know where to start.

thanks in advance.

:)

Check out that new collection, I think it's actually called something like film noir classics volume 1, you get a few movies, all classics.

even though its not from that time. but fits the genre u want perfectly.
SIN CITY

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=pd_sxp_f/104-0041119-7305500?v=glance&s=dvd

Asphalt jungle, The (1950) = CLA1
Borderline (1950) = FN10 Note: at best marginally film noir!
Call it murder (aka Midnight) (1934) = FN10 Note: a 1934 film, not film noir!
Detour (1945) = CLA9 FN10 KIL5 MY10 Note: right-hand-drive vehicles in first scene a goof of film, not a reissue mistake!
D.O.A. (1950) = CLA9 FN10 KIL5
Gun crazy (aka Deadly is the female) (1949) = CLA1
He walked by night (1948) = FN10 MY10
Hitch-hiker, The (1953) = CLA9
Hollow triumph (aka The scar--UK) (1948) = CLA9
Impact (1949) = MY10
Kansas City confidential (1952) = FN10 MY10
Man who cheated himself, The (1950) = CLA9
Murder, my sweet (aka Farewell my lovely) (1944) = CLA1
Out of the past (1947) = CLA1
Quicksand (1950) = CLA9 MY10
Red house, The (1947) = FN10 Note: rural film noir!
Scarlet Street (1945) = FN10 KIL5 MY10
Second woman, The (1951) = FN10 MY10
Set-up, The (1949) = CLA1
Strange love of Martha Ivers, The (1946) = CLA9
Stranger, The (1946) = CLA9 FN10 KIL5 MY10 Note: The separate Roan Group issue (with Cause for alarm, 1951) is superior.
Suddenly (1954) = MY10
Too late for tears (aka Killer bait) (1949) = CLA9 KIL5 MY10

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=pd_sxp_f/104-0041119-7305500?v=glance&s=dvd

BORN TO KILL
CLASH BY NIGHT
CROSSFIRE
DILLINGER
THE NARROW MARGIN

The Third Man

M

Touch of Evil

The Asphalt Jungle

Stray Dog

High and Low

The Stranger

D.O.A.

Detour

White Heat

Little Caesar

Angles with Dirty Faces

Night in the City

The Street with No Name

The Maltese Falcon

The Lady from Shang Hai

Shadow of a Doubt

Laura

The Killers

Johnny Apollo

The poster for Too Late for Tears is hilarious:

"That's just to remind you...you're in a tough racket now!"

mp00379.jpg

Underdawg 2.0 said:
even though its not from that time. but fits the genre u want perfectly.
SIN CITY
:rolleyes:

Thats like post neo-noir...

The Maltese Falcon is considered to be the original film noir...even though noirs origins are rooted in german expressionist style films.

U.S War Machine said:
Bonnie and Clyde
Bonnie and Clyde is not film noir at all.

also try Touch of Evil, White Heat, The Big Sleep, and this AWESOME boxing noir (that i just recently purchased off of Overstock.com for only 11 bucks (s & h included)) called Body and Heat. Its SUCH a great movie. Right up there as one of my favorites

Stewie Griffin said:
:rolleyes:

Thats like post neo-noir...

The Maltese Falcon is considered to be the original film noir...even though noirs origins are rooted in german expressionist style films.

Weird, cause Fury (which is pretty good) was made at least four years before the maltese falcon, and Fury is DEFINITELY film noir

ImTheWombat said:
Weird, cause Fury (which is pretty good) was made at least four years before the maltese falcon, and Fury is DEFINITELY film noir
I'm just telling you what i read :)

It could have been wrong... :0

While Sin City was made long after the depression era films such as Maltese Falcon, it has all of the characteristics of true film noir.

JLBats said:
While Sin City was made long after the depression era films such as Maltese Falcon, it has all of the characteristics of true film noir.

i agree. Sin City is film noir with splashes of color. Its not neo-noir or post neo-noir. It is indeed film noir, just like "The Man Who Wasn't There" was film noir because it had all of the characteristics of film noir. People are often to anxious to slap the title of neo-noir or post neo-noir onto any contemporary film noir, simply because its new.

Mentok said:
Blade Runner :up:

blade runner was awesome futuristic noir. It was just really interesting to see them combine noir and sci-fi in that way. Then see a ton of other movies emulate it

Yeah, some of these have been said and I agree...

The Third Man
Touch of Evil
Key Largo

and here is one a bit obscure but excellent, with Sydney Greenstreet ("The Big Man") and Peter Lorre:

The Mask of Dimitrios

"The Mask of Dimitrios"

Never heard of it... will keep an eye out for it :up:

Truthteller said:
Yeah, some of these have been said and I agree...

The Third Man
Touch of Evil
Key Largo

and here is one a bit obscure but excellent, with Sydney Greenstreet ("The Big Man") and Peter Lorre:

The Mask of Dimitrios

Touch of Evil is such an incredible movie. Just remembering it gives me the shivers. :up:

I have seen:

The Maltese Falcon
Bogart and Greenstreet are great. Very good story to.
8,5/10

Key Largo
****ing great movie. Edward G Robinson is awesome as Johnny Rocco, Bogart is great to. The ending was great. Superb movie.
9/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zelzela
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"