First Hitman 360 screenshots...

TheCardPlayer said:
RE5 is prerendered. It won't look like this....at all.

And trust me. PS3 won't offer a huge jump either.

Well, i'll be just as disappointed, then. ;)

TheSaintofKillers said:
You know, you are proving my point more than anything else here. These games look all the same, except the 360 games seems more blurry, and a bit more shiny.

No they dont. You just seem to be yet another whiner complaining that there is no huge leap between this gen and the next like their used to be.

I gotta tell you, the only real leap we have ever had was from 2D to 3D. PS2 launch games looked barley better than most psone games.

TheSaintofKillers said:
to be that far of a jump between generations, i'm stunned more than anything else here. Look at the the ground, it's the same. Even the characters are near the same, only that the 360 has "rounder" effects, but they still both look as plastic.

It looks nothing like the xbox version... then again you only have a picture to compare. Try playing both games then decide on graphical improvements.

Now, for me, a real gap is when I look at a picture of that resident evil 5 video. Will it really look like this when it will be release ? No idea, but that's the least I want when there's a generation gap. Am I asking for too much ? I doubt it, especially when i'm going to shell 400-500$ for new consoles.

Pre rendered video... dont tell me you fall for the hype and expect that stuff in the first freaking wave of games?

Especially consoles that offer nothing new in the gameplay department, except when it comes to graphics. If the only huge update we are getting this generation is in graphics, then I expect WONDERS in that department, unlike you.

Since when does a new console mean new gameplay... we are doing esentially the same things we were a decade ago.

I remember when the Dreamcast came out. Barely anything showed a jump. Sonic barely outdid Ocarina of Time, and was pretty close to Conker in everything besides textures. Eventually it's PS1-port-flooded days ended, and the system proved itself to be a beautiful piece of hardware.

With Ghost Recon 3, Oblivion etc. I'm surprised people can't see the difference. Ghost Recon 3 blows away Ghost Recon 2, and Oblivion smashes everything.

Mentok said:
It looks nothing like the xbox version... then again you only have a picture to compare. Try playing both games then decide on graphical improvements.

It's true that pictures rarely do justice to a great-looking game. You'll just have to see it in motion.

WhatsHisFace said:
I remember when the Dreamcast came out. Barely anything showed a jump. Sonic barely outdid Ocarina of Time, and was pretty close to Conker in everything besides textures. Eventually it's PS1-port-flooded days ended, and the system proved itself to be a beautiful piece of hardware.

Let's not forget the Xbox, which was originally thought to be nothing but a souped up DC primed for failure. Looking at the multiplatform ports, the Xbox had barely a handful of enhancements and even that were hardly noticeable. Of course as time passed, many people shut their traps when they finally saw the first Splinter Cell in action followed by the likes of Riddick, Ninja Gaiden, Jade Empire and so on.

With Ghost Recon 3, Oblivion etc. I'm surprised people can't see the difference. Ghost Recon 3 blows away Ghost Recon 2, and Oblivion smashes everything.

Of course, you don't expect all those Nintendophiles to see that now, do you? I bet we wouldn't even be having this whole graphics VS gameplay debacle if the Revolution was just as much loaded under the hood as the 360 and Revolution. Instead, we'd have been seeing them orgasming over the prospect of playing Zelda at 10 times the level of detail, and even HD to boot.

Phaser said:
Let's not forget the Xbox, which was originally thought to be nothing but a souped up DC primed for failure. Looking at the multiplatform ports, the Xbox had barely a handful of enhancements and even that were hardly noticeable. Of course as time passed, many people shut their traps when they finally saw the first Splinter Cell in action followed by the likes of Riddick, Ninja Gaiden, Jade Empire and so on.

Of course, you don't expect all those Nintendophiles to see that now, do you? I bet we wouldn't even be having this whole graphics VS gameplay debacle if the Revolution was just as much loaded under the hood as the 360 and Revolution. Instead, we'd have been seeing them orgasming over the prospect of playing Zelda at 10 times the level of detail, and even HD to boot.

Actually, a lot of "Nintendophiles" were greatly disappointed by the Gamecube.

Oh, and I still think Ico was the most important game of last generation. The first game to show us that video game could also be viewed as art, imo. :)

TheSaintofKillers said:
Sigh, ok, whatever.

If you find this:

call-of-duty-2-big-red-one-20050607110837286.jpg

and this

3417_1127154364.jpg

to be that far of a jump between generations, i'm stunned more than anything else here. Look at the the ground, it's the same. Even the characters are near the same, only that the 360 has "rounder" effects, but they still both look as plastic.

Now, for me, a real gap is when I look at a picture of that resident evil 5 video. Will it really look like this when it will be release ? No idea, but that's the least I want when there's a generation gap. Am I asking for too much ? I doubt it, especially when i'm going to shell 400-500$ for new consoles.

Especially consoles that offer nothing new in the gameplay department, except when it comes to graphics. If the only huge update we are getting this generation is in graphics, then I expect WONDERS in that department, unlike you.

i agree, those 2 particualr pics didn't make for the best comparison, as they do look near identical (to me, at least) but honestly, most other games on the 360 not only look at least twice as good as current gen, but they're also able to have bigger, more interactive environments, more physics, better sound, better AI, etc.

your argument is flawed.

Mr. Credible said:
i agree, those 2 particualr pics didn't make for the best comparison, as they do look near identical (to me, at least) but honestly, most other games on the 360 not only look at least twice as good as current gen, but they're also able to have bigger, more interactive environments, more physics, better sound, better AI, etc.

your argument is flawed.

Every argument is flawed, welcome to debates. ;)

TheSaintofKillers said:
You know, you are proving my point more than anything else here. These games look all the same, except the 360 games seems more blurry, and a bit more shiny.

The gap is small, come on. It will probably get bigger the farther we will get down the line, but right now, aside from VERY few games, the graphics sure aren't anything to blow us away, imo.

You seem easily impressed. When I put aside a picture of Goldeneye and then of Halo 2, yes, THERE I see a huge gap. But these games above ? An update as small as these pictures above in FX doesn't warrant a "next-generation" jump yet. At least, for me.

APPARENTLY YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED ANY '360' GAMES, IF YOU THINK THERE ARE ONLY "GRAPHICAL" DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THEM, AND THEIR LAST-GEN BRETHREN. 'COD2' AND 'COD:BR1' WERE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES, LARGELY BECAUSE THE 'COD2' WAS A MUCH MORE IMMERSIVE, REALISTIC EXPERIENCE. LIKEWISE, 'FNR3' FOR THE '360' IS ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING TITLES EVER CREATED; THE PS2/XBOX VERSIONS WERE JUST ORDINARY SEQUELS. 'OBLIVION' IS WHAT 'FABLE'.....AND 'MORROWIND' WANTED TO BE, BUT COULDN'T, BECAUSE OF THE 'XBOX'S LIMITATIONS.

THWIP* said:
APPARENTLY YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED ANY '360' GAMES, IF YOU THINK THERE ARE ONLY "GRAPHICAL" DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THEM, AND THEIR LAST-GEN BRETHREN. 'COD2' AND 'COD:BR1' WERE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES, LARGELY BECAUSE THE 'COD2' WAS A MUCH MORE IMMERSIVE, REALISTIC EXPERIENCE. LIKEWISE, 'FNR3' FOR THE '360' IS ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING TITLES EVER CREATED; THE PS2/XBOX VERSIONS WERE JUST ORDINARY SEQUELS. 'OBLIVION' IS WHAT 'FABLE'.....AND 'MORROWIND' WANTED TO BE, BUT COULDN'T, BECAUSE OF THE 'XBOX'S LIMITATIONS.

I find Oblivion impressive. Heck, I found Morrowind impressive when it first came out. Oblivion, just like Half life 2 (which, imo, is one of the most important game of last gen, reminding people that immersion is ten times more important than CGI cutscenes) is a step forward in technology, using it in a way where the games doesn't just appear prettier. But when I look at the other games here ? I see most games who don't offer much new.

I played to death Medal of honor: allied assault when it first came out. Loved the game, I though the gameplay was fantastic and fun. Then came out Call of duty. The game was bigger, more immersive, and prettier in every way. And yet, I found that it didn't add enough for me to truly have fun with it. It was Allied Assault's gameplay that mostly made me have fun. Having it all become even more real didn't enhance the fun I was having. Most developpers seems to think more real is the way to go. I'm not so sure, but then again, I've been wrong in the past. ;)

TheSaintofKillers said:
I find Oblivion impressive. Heck, I found Morrowind impressive when it first came out. Oblivion, just like Half life 2 (which, imo, is one of the most important game of last gen, reminding people that immersion is ten times more important than CGI cutscenes) is a step forward in technology, using it in a way where the games doesn't just appear prettier. But when I look at the other games here ? I see most games who don't offer much new.

I played to death Medal of honor: allied assault when it first came out. Loved the game, I though the gameplay was fantastic and fun. Then came out Call of duty. The game was bigger, more immersive, and prettier in every way. And yet, I found that it didn't add enough for me to truly have fun with it. It was Allied Assault's gameplay that mostly made me have fun. Having it all become even more real didn't enhance the fun I was having. Most developpers seems to think more real is the way to go. I'm not so sure, but then again, I've been wrong in the past. ;)
T'es dans le champ man...t'es vraiment dans le champ....Trust moi! :)

But yeah...Gameplay between PS and PS2 was largely the same...just like XBox and 360 play the same.

Next-gen is about immersion and better graphics...How can you make gameplay next-gen? You simply can't.

TheSaintofKillers said:

Thinly veiled Revolution ad.

WhatsHisFace said:
Thinly veiled Revolution ad.
Yeah. I could see that.

Next-gen is about new technology? Yeah, a guess a DVD remote with a laser and a nunchaku really is super technology and will make Nintendo run past MS and Sony. :D

TheSaintofKillers said:

BUT YOU'RE REALLY MISSING MY POINT. THE FACT IS, GAMES LIKE 'OBLIVION', 'FNR3 (360), 'COD2'.......AND UPCOMING GAMES LIKE 'TEST DRIVE:UNLIMITED', 'GEARS OF WAR', 'HUXLEY', 'CHROMEHOUNDS', 'MASS EFFECT'........THESE ARE GAMES THAT SIMPLY COULD NOT HAVE BEEN DONE LAST-GEN. YOU SEEM TO THINK THAT THE NEXT-GEN IS "ONLY ABOUT PRETTIER GRAPHICS", BUT THAT'S JUST AN OBVIOUS SIDE EFFECT OF THE NEW HARDWARE. THE REAL POINT OF EMPHASIS FOR NEXT-GEN IS IMMERSION AND LARGE-SCALE SCOPE......SOMETHING THAT WAS LARGELY LACKING LAST GEN. AGAIN, 'MORROWIND' AND 'FABLE' TRIED, BUT HARDWARE LIMITATIONS PREVENTED DEVELOPERS FROM DOING WHAT THEY REALLY WANTED; THAT IS NO LONGER AN ISSUE.

TheCardPlayer said:
Yeah. I could see that.

Next-gen is about new technology? Yeah, a guess a DVD remote with a laser and a nunchaku really is super technology and will make Nintendo run past MS and Sony. :D
Not to mention sub-Xbox 1 capabilities.

Speaking of graphics and stuff, something I would love to see this gen is totally anatomically correct enemies, with everything represented. All the organs, all the bones, etc, and they get realistically damaged (ie if you shoot them in the stomach they don't die right away but will eventually, shoot off kneecaps and fingers, etc) and have a realistic reaction to all wounds.

Horrorfan said:
Speaking of graphics and stuff, something I would love to see this gen is totally anatomically correct enemies, with everything represented. All the organs, all the bones, etc, and they get realistically damaged (ie if you shoot them in the stomach they don't die right away but will eventually, shoot off kneecaps and fingers, etc) and have a realistic reaction to all wounds.

IT'S DEFINITELY POSSIBLE.......IT'S BEEN EXPERIMENTED WITH ON LAST-GEN GAMES, JUST IN LESS DETAIL. I'D SAY THAT LEVEL OF REALISM WON'T HAPPEN UNTIL CLOSE TO THE END OF THE '360'/'PS3' LIFECYCLES THOUGH.

THWIP* said:
IT'S DEFINITELY POSSIBLE.......IT'S BEEN EXPERIMENTED WITH ON LAST-GEN GAMES, JUST IN LESS DETAIL. I'D SAY THAT LEVEL OF REALISM WON'T HAPPEN UNTIL CLOSE TO THE END OF THE '360'/'PS3' LIFECYCLES THOUGH.
Imagine a condemned or dead rising sequel with that type of engine....

i think it'd be totally possible to pull those kind of body effects off. someone just needs to put in the effort.

THWIP* said:
BUT YOU'RE REALLY MISSING MY POINT. THE FACT IS, GAMES LIKE 'OBLIVION', 'FNR3 (360), 'COD2'.......AND UPCOMING GAMES LIKE 'TEST DRIVE:UNLIMITED', 'GEARS OF WAR', 'HUXLEY', 'CHROMEHOUNDS', 'MASS EFFECT'........THESE ARE GAMES THAT SIMPLY COULD NOT HAVE BEEN DONE LAST-GEN. YOU SEEM TO THINK THAT THE NEXT-GEN IS "ONLY ABOUT PRETTIER GRAPHICS", BUT THAT'S JUST AN OBVIOUS SIDE EFFECT OF THE NEW HARDWARE. THE REAL POINT OF EMPHASIS FOR NEXT-GEN IS IMMERSION AND LARGE-SCALE SCOPE......SOMETHING THAT WAS LARGELY LACKING LAST GEN. AGAIN, 'MORROWIND' AND 'FABLE' TRIED, BUT HARDWARE LIMITATIONS PREVENTED DEVELOPERS FROM DOING WHAT THEY REALLY WANTED; THAT IS NO LONGER AN ISSUE.

I bet he still thinks Oblivion, Gears of War and Mass Effect can be done on the PS2 and Xbox simply by toning down the visuals. At least that's what he claims in the very first post of his "Down with next-gen" thread. :down:

Now, about Hitman: BloodMoney.....anyone going to play that when it comes out?

TheSaintofKillers said:
Actually, a lot of "Nintendophiles" were greatly disappointed by the Gamecube.

Oh, and I still think Ico was the most important game of last generation. The first game to show us that video game could also be viewed as art, imo. :)

:up: to your comment about Ico. Truly underappreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"