First Person Shooters on the XB360

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
Just finished PREY. Despite alot of negativity I've heard about the game from a few people here I loved it. Very innovative, creative level design, great weapons, spirit mode, wall walking, etc...Not your typical hall walker.

I have FEAR and Gears of War sitting on my bookshelf waiting to go next. I'm gonna try FEAR first. I wish the DEUS-EX series would come. I've seen some early screen shots of TUROK for the 360 and it looks awesome.

Any Aliens games coming out???

Anyways so I've now finished 2 games for the 360: Prey & Splinter Cell: double agent.

Advanced Dark said:
Just finished PREY. Despite alot of negativity I've heard about the game from a few people here I loved it. Very innovative, creative level design, great weapons, spirit mode, wall walking, etc...Not your typical hall walker.

I have FEAR and Gears of War sitting on my bookshelf waiting to go next. I'm gonna try FEAR first. I wish the DEUS-EX series would come. I've seen some early screen shots of TUROK for the 360 and it looks awesome.

Any Aliens games coming out???

Anyways so I've now finished 2 games for the 360: Prey & Splinter Cell: double agent.

I have PREY, the first game I got and I was kinda enjoying it.
Got quite far into the game but just came totally stuck at one point,
can't remember the name of the level.

I just don't really like the level design much.
I went back to the level quite a few times but just can't find my way out.
So I'm done w/ it now.

Looking forward to getting Gears, from what I have heard/seen I reckon I will be able to enjoy it. Plus it don't seem anything but straight foward.

Dangerous said:
I have PREY, the first game I got and I was kinda enjoying it.
Got quite far into the game but just came totally stuck at one point,
can't remember the name of the level.

I just don't really like the level design much.
I went back to the level quite a few times but just can't find my way out.
So I'm done w/ it now.

Looking forward to getting Gears, from what I have heard/seen I reckon I will be able to enjoy it. Plus it don't seem anything but straight foward.

Tell me the level and I'll help you. Don't give up cause it gets better and far more violent and crazy. It seemed like a very long and very detailed game. YOu have to get used to the wall walking...it gets disorienting at first. Some of the puzzles are quite cool. The cube was cool, the rotating wall of panels, the ending had a cool little sphere thing that took me awhile to figure out but I did it and then it still didn't end. Even the ending takes a little time to figure out but once you do it's kind of easy.

I'm on a level were you end up in this kinda small arena type area.
Four walls, each one has one of those vagina things on it that in turn releases the four legged mech-legs creatures.

These walls are about 10 feet tall and arond them is a walk way leading to (I think) 2 apposing wall walking pathways.
I just can't find a way to get past that area as the wall walking pathways seems to lead to nowhere.

Were there the gravity levers on the ceiling??? On some levels there are these things that look like a group of four white bulbs or lights. Shoot them and the room flips upside down. On some levels you'll need to be in a certain area to shoot them or you'll land in the wrong place. Once you shoot it go to where you want to go and then look up at your new ceiling. There should be another one to flip the room again...or they're might be a doorway on the ceiling from the first time you flipped it.

If that's not it then did you kill all the creatures on that level??? If you did then when you get to the end of the walkway look for a place to jump off. Even if it looks like you're jumping onto a vertical wall or ceiling...search for a door or flat surface you can jump on no matter what way you're facing. The camera should adjust.

Or it might be the level where at the end of the wallwalk you just jump straight up. That might put you somehwere that you can't access from just jumping on the floor. When you jump up you'll fall down.

Before you try any of that though kill ALL the creatures first. Wait till they stop coming out.

I hope that helps. Also don't forget when all else fails look for a secret way out in spirit mode.

Lastly take a pic of the scene and that might help me. Once you figure it out you'll kick yourself.

Thanx I think that spoiler stuff will help.
I have sneaking suspicion that the answer may be the ceiling, I don think I have looked at that yet.

So the game gets better toward the end?
I like the bigger boss type enemies, like that thing that looks like the Cyber demon from Doom.

Doom3 is my fav FPS ever, that’s what drew me to PREY.

Doom 3 was cool. For the regular X-Box I really enjoyed Snowblind, Wolfenstein, and SOF2.

I see RTCW bored me, I was all about Doom3, completed about 6 times on veteran difficulty. Best shooter ever.

Dangerous said:
I see RTCW bored me, I was all about Doom3, completed about 6 times on veteran difficulty. Best shooter ever.
Yeah, Doom 3 is awesome. You've got to love monster closets, perpetual darkness, corridors, zero squadmates, and, well, that's about all the game was.

At least Hell was really cool.

Doom 3 is probably one of the most out-dated shooters released (for it's time). It basically needed to come out before Half-Life 1 opposed to launching next to Half-Life 2, because both Half-Lifes at least had the capability for you to have a squad, didn't rely on gimmicky ways to introduce monsters, there was variety in the level design as well as the theming, and enemies for the heck of it.

Doom had none of that, and the story was pathetic. For a game that spent forever in production I was at least hoping they'd get a new idea during that time.

Technology was the only good thing that game had to offer. If it wasn't for the graphics, I'd rate it below Red Faction, maybe even 007: Nightfire.

Ugh, what a lame game. So much should have been done differently. id Software needs a new game designer now. They shouldn't have too much trouble finding one, since everyone in the industry wants to work with the semi-autistic John Carmack, who codes better than just about anybody. Bring in Warren Spector, Jens Andersson, hell, they can even bring in Harvey Smith and they'll be doing better than Tim Willits, who has apparently not played a single-player First Person Shooter since Quake 2.

I don't know if technology is what held the game back, though. Doom 3 used stencil shadows, and considering the corridor theme, maybe it HAD to be that way to keep shadow volumes down. Even games like Gears of War have to skimp on lighting in some areas, where Doom never did. Or course, Doom 3 had basically no lights and the flashlight was more of a "light filter" than a true light source, because the flashlight didn't cause objects it illuminated to cast shadows.

Whereas Riddick, Deus Ex:IW and SplinterCell did.

So you know what? Screw Doom 3. It's a lame game with lame technology workarounds. The Doom 3 engine is crap (or at least was, because John Carmack's mega-texture engine is up and running in Quake Wars and that game is beautiful, WITH full lighting and running at high-res darkness. So hopefully Wolfenstein will look good, even though it's going to suck because Raven is making it and they're like the EA of FPS games: small scripted levels and awful gameplay scenarios.

You know what? Raven needs a new designer too. After their Jedi Knight games it's like he stopped caring and just decided to put cliches and unbelievable amounts of backtracking into his games. I mean, Quake 4 is basically 70% backtracking. And I know you're saying it's impossible, because you can only have up to 50% since you have to go there once before you go there again, BUT I TELL YOU IT'S TRUE, because you have to go back to the same areas sometimes FOUR TIMES.

Okay, I don't want this to become a long post so I'll just stop here, but you know where I'm coming from and you know I'm right.

But by the way, I didn't play Black, but it's probably a better game than Doom 3.

Doom 3 was AWESOME.

IMO, Doom 3>>>>>Halo AND Half life. By far.

It might not have super complicated physics or vehicals, but it was an amazing ghost ride on a disc. Half life 2 may be technically superior, but it also made me thing having my teeth taken out with hammers would have been more fun and fufilling.

I don't care how much technical wizardy and 'teh awesome physics'' it has, if its not fun, it's not worth playing. HL2 just wasn't fun.

Halo (the original came sort of close , but I prefered the more realistic/ mature sci fi story for doom 3. I loved the whole picking up audio diarys, which added to the fantastic atmosphere.

I liked Quake 4 a lot oo.

One of my favourite fps of all time is Call Of Cthuhlu. I highly reccomend it, even though its not what you may be expecting.

Horrorfan said:
Doom 3 was AWESOME.

IMO, Doom 3>>>>>Halo AND Half life. By far.
Doom 3 is worse than Half-Life 1. Halo had better combat, better levels, vehicles, variety, you know, the little things that make games playable.

It might not have super complicated physics or vehicals, but it was an amazing ghost ride on a disc. Half life 2 may be technically superior, but it also made me thing having my teeth taken out with hammers would have been more fun and fufilling.
And amazing ghost ride. Okay. Walking down a dark hallway and shooting monsters that spawn in behind you.

I don't care how much technical wizardy and 'teh awesome physics'' it has, if its not fun, it's not worth playing. HL2 just wasn't fun.
I admit Half-Life 2 wasn't the best FPS I've ever played, but it's a lot closer to it than Doom 3. At least Half-Life 2 had a story you could care about and environments that didn't repeat the entire game.

Halo (the original came sort of close , but I prefered the more realistic/ mature sci fi story for doom 3. I loved the whole picking up audio diarys, which added to the fantastic atmosphere.
Realistic and mature? A portal to hell? Please, Halo and Half-Life are much better sci fi.I don't know if it was a tribute to System Shock or not, but the audio diaries were the worst part of Doom 3.

I liked Quake 4 a lot oo.
Quake 4 was a backtrack suck-fest.

WhatsHisFace- if you don like Doom3 that’s your problem.

Doom3 may have been a simple game in terms of game mechanics/linear level design.
But this was the point. What it did, it did miles better than any other FPS to date.
And that was scare the s-hit outta the player.

Anyway I'm not about to validate the game by listing all the things that were great about.
For a straight up blaster that was all about scares and incredible graphics mixed w/ the occult nothing comes close.

Perhaps if you are a particular fan of the horror genre it will appeal to you more.
For me and other hardcore Doom fans it was very refreshing to finally get back to an FPS that stripped the genre back to its bare roots instead of trying to most clever/advanced/tactical shooter out there.
Here was a game that was just straight up cold blooded violence for no reason other than fun,
wrapped up in an amazing cinematic experience and it is awesome.
(in case ya wondering my second fav FPS is the tactical/genre progressive Halo, just so you don think I'm all about gore+guns. Doom3 is just more fun.)

So anyway, your opinion is wrong, I am right.
Go back to your wanky tactical FPS, and Il play Doom.

WhatsHisFace said:
Doom 3 is worse than Half-Life 1. Halo had better combat, better levels, vehicles, variety, you know, the little things that make games playable.

Just the above quote makes me wonder why I just bothered to respond...
You sound like a ****** that does not understand the concept of Doom3.
Never mind.

Here’s a tip-
Don’t spout about videogames unless you actually know what you are talking about.

WhatsHisFace said:

No way. Both Half lifes SUCK. And suck bad. Halo is good, but overrated. It had more than doom, and did the fps thing pretty well, but the actual combat was NOWHERE near as meaty, and nowhere near as atmospheric.

Halo is good unlike half life, but Doom 3 pwns it, if people are honest.

Halo had a more mature storyline? Yeah maybe when we see the politics behind hell and that the demons all communicate in perfect english, doom 3 might catch up in maturity and writing stakes eh? It's the way doom 3 did it....the subtleness of video diaries expanding the world and story line and not thrust upon you in countless cut scenes.

You aren't thinking about which game does what its supposed to best and entertaining way, you are thinking about everything thrown in. If I based games on what you could potentially do, Just Cause would be fantastic and not the suck fest it turned out to be.

Dangerous said:
Just the above quote makes me wonder why I just bothered to respond...
You sound like a ****** that does not understand the concept of Doom3.
Never mind.

Here’s a tip-
Don’t spout about videogames unless you actually know what you are talking about.

WHF isn't a tard- he certainly knows a lot about videogames for sure. He's a very cool guy. He just happens to be wrong this time :p

The only thing I don't like in FPS games is squad-members.

No matter how advanced the enemy AI, the AI for the squad members is ******ed.

Addendum said:
The only thing I don't like in FPS games is squad-members.

No matter how advanced the enemy AI, the AI for the squad members is ******ed.

Quake 4's squad was actually really, really good. I feel the same about squads usually...even Halo's squads die easy on anything other than the easiest settings. But Quake 4's squad were really a help and not a hinderance, for once.

The first Quake was ok when I was a freshman in college.

Quake 2 was better, but I got bored with it fairly quick.

I lost interest around the time of Quake 3, since multiplayer has never held any interest to me.

Quake 4 has yet to show me anything that says I have to play it.

Horrorfan said:
He's a very cool guy.

Il take your word on that one, heh.:cwink:

Horrorfan said:
No way. Both Half lifes SUCK. And suck bad.

Oh dear.
Now I know why I never bother to post in the gaming forums here at the hype, and use a seperate games forum.
I wonder if anyone knows what they are talking about here, prob not.

Dangerous said:
Oh dear.
Now I know why I never bother to post in the gaming forums here at the hype, and use a seperate games forum.
I wonder if anyone knows what they are talking about here, prob not.

It will be hard if you decide not to post here again, with your intelligent way of calling people with more knowledge than you like whf ******s, but someway....somehow....we will all try to survive without disintergrating if you don't come back. somehow...:(

I liked Doom cause it was honestly scary at times. Certain rooms you walk in and they're so dark and the flickering light and then suddenly that laughter and the whole room turns red and you're like...oh ****.

I really loved Aliens vs Predator on the Atari Jaguar when that first came out. It surely looks dated and boring now but they used stop motion for the characters and when the aliens popped out you'd crap your pants. I'm dying for a new one...and a new Turok.

I borrowed FEAR and am going through it for the first time.... I dont see the big deal. :csad:

Horrorfan said:
It will be hard if you decide not to post here again, with your intelligent way of calling people with more knowledge than you like whf ******s, but someway....somehow....we will all try to survive without disintergrating if you don't come back. somehow...:(

…People with more knowledge than me? Ahahahhaha,

What teenage noobs?

Who cannot differentiate between sub genres within the FPS cannon?
Who happen to be of the opinion that ‘Half Life sucks’ (how intelligent) or that Doom3 is lame because Half Life had better Vehicles or variety (can you get anymore dumb? -No), thus illustrating they obviously don’t understand what the concept was for Doom3.

BTW- I have been playing videogames since 1986.
Which judging by the way you summarise games was probably when you were in diapers, and sucking on your moms tit.
Never assume anything about someone else here, otherwise you will often end up looking like a t-wat. heh,

....if Doom 3 scared you, then....I'm sorry for you. "Oh look, ammo or health, I wonder if grabbing it will cause the lights to go out and an imp to appear." It was rather pretty, but it was repetitive quickly. Imagine if dogs jumped through EVERY set of windows in Resident Evil.

The audio logs would have been decent if that hadn't been the ONLY puzzle in the game-find the audio log to get the numbers.

What it missed is what every modern 3d FPS is missing-hordes and hordes of monsters. Too 3d graphics heavy to display what 2 and a half D sprites could. Doom was about speed and intensity......Doom 3 was something else with the Doom name slapped on it.

^ If you thought Doom 3 was mediocre then you must have hated Halo 2. I really enjoyed Doom 3 but thought Halo 2 was total rush job looking for quick bucks by bungie. What a horrible game that was. Worse than the original, horrible ending, lousy enemies, sappy weapons, repetive levels, boredom. I couldn't wait to finish it so I could return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"