First Person Shooters on the XB360

MrHateYourself said:
What it missed is what every modern 3d FPS is missing-hordes and hordes of monsters. Too 3d graphics heavy to display what 2 and a half D sprites could. Doom was about speed and intensity......Doom 3 was something else with the Doom name slapped on it.

Play PREY, that was not about hordes, many a modern day FPS do not feature a wall of enemies coming at you.
W/ Doom3 id wanted to do something different, not just repeat the past.
Instead they built creepy set pieces designed to throw you off.
Doom3 was all about atmosphere, claustrophobia, building fear and tension.
I’m not about to try and sell the game to you, if it was not your thing fine.

^ exactly dangerous. btw just started fear. Not too far into it...seems ok. The thing prey kind of spoils for you is when you die...you can come back to life an unlimited amount of times right where you died. I have to remember to be more careful in fear which seems like a ripoff of several other games.

Dangerous said:
WhatsHisFace- if you don like Doom3 that’s your problem.

Doom3 may have been a simple game in terms of game mechanics/linear level design.
But this was the point. What it did, it did miles better than any other FPS to date.
And that was scare the s-hit outta the player.
I guess you didn't play Thief 3, because that game has more horror in one room of The Shalebridge Cradle than what's in the entire Doom 3 package. And Thief's horror is deeper, more psychological, more emotional, more gripping. It lasts. It's not "A monster in the dark!" It's a scenario, the backstory behind it, the desperation.

Anyway I'm not about to validate the game by listing all the things that were great about.
For a straight up blaster that was all about scares and incredible graphics mixed w/ the occult nothing comes close.
Scares? You mean monster closets and predictable scripted events? Not very scary at all. The only moment in Doom 3 that resembles "scary" is when you get to the portal to hell, but that's still not even "Silent Hill" scary.

Perhaps if you are a particular fan of the horror genre it will appeal to you more.
For me and other hardcore Doom fans it was very refreshing to finally get back to an FPS that stripped the genre back to its bare roots instead of trying to most clever/advanced/tactical shooter out there.
Well, then you should have done that four years ago when Serious Sam came out. Oh, that doesn't have Horror? Then you should have played Painkiller, which had atmosphere and fun on a level Doom never even tried to reach.

Here was a game that was just straight up cold blooded violence for no reason other than fun,
wrapped up in an amazing cinematic experience and it is awesome.
I wouldn't say Doom was violent. It was gory, but it was all just placed there by a level designer, none of it was there because of any action in the game. When you as the player kill something, it vaporizes to save polys. Blood isn't left behind either.

(in case ya wondering my second fav FPS is the tactical/genre progressive Halo, just so you don think I'm all about gore+guns. Doom3 is just more fun.)
Well, fun is definitely a suggestive word. To some, fun is swimming the English Channel, to others, it's doing Quadratic Equations. I actually find Halo more fun because there's more you can do, there are more engaging battles, more variety in both gameplay and levels, there's a better story concept, better levels, better AI, better this, better that. Halo's better than Doom 3, which is probably why I find it more fun.

So anyway, your opinion is wrong, I am right.
Go back to your wanky tactical FPS, and Il play Doom.
You know, you can say my opinion is wrong, but when you disagree with me, you're not disagreeing with only me, you're disagreeing with every game critic, every journalist, and millions of gamers around the world. You disagree with the entire gaming community.

So you can go play Doom while I play my "wanky" (sic, assuming you mean "wonky" and not a british derivative of *********ion) FPS games along with the millions of other gamers who have

a. taste
b. an understanding of what makes games good

and we'll go our own ways. God knows I wouldn't like it where you're going.

Ok, I got a bit of time on my hands, plus you are easy to beat,..

WhatsHisFace said:
I guess you didn't play Thief 3, because that game has more horror in one room of The Shalebridge Cradle than what's in the entire Doom 3 package. And Thief's horror is deeper, more psychological, more emotional, more gripping. It lasts. It's not "A monster in the dark!" It's a scenario, the backstory behind it, the desperation.
Scares? You mean monster closets and predictable scripted events? Not very scary at all. The only moment in Doom 3 that resembles "scary" is when you get to the portal to hell, but that's still not even "Silent Hill" scary.

Played all the games you listed.
The type of ‘scary’ I am talking about is the type that is at it's purest in Doom3.
Lets me explain-
I have watched hundreds of Horror films, being a fan of the genre.
Of course anyone will tell you who watches that many none of them will actually scare you anymore.
So games like Silent Hill that aspire to be like films are just that, an interactive movie.
Not scary at all (to me).

Doom3’s tactic to scare you is very one dimensional and the same throughout the game,
but that is because it works.
The ‘fear’ in Doom3 from the player, is that (on the harder difficulties) of dieing.
It’s a different type of fear to being scared of a film, no films will scare a stiffened horror fan who has seen loads of them.
But if you are low on health creeping around in the delta labs w/ the hell hordes popping up from behind you it can be very scary when you are not expecting it.
It’s a different type of fear to actually being scared for your safety IRL, but it is definitely real.
Doom3 made me jump and my heart pump more than any other game.
Playing it in the dark for the first time- Amazing.

This was basically the sole purpose of Doom3, its what the developers set out to do.
Make a game that would make the player jump.
They succeeded.

WhatsHisFace said:
Well, then you should have done that four years ago when Serious Sam came out. Oh, that doesn't have Horror? Then you should have played Painkiller, which had atmosphere and fun on a level Doom never even tried to reach.

Played SS when it came out, was a very fun game, not as scary as Doom3 nowhere near.
Painkiller similarly, was nowhere near as macabre or sinister as Doom3.
Painkiller was more like the old Doom games, as was Sam.

WhatsHisFace said:
I wouldn't say Doom was violent.

It was violent very much so.
That’s is not debatable.

WhatsHisFace said:
I actually find Halo more fun because there's more you can do, there are more engaging battles, more variety in both gameplay and levels, there's a better story concept, better levels, better AI, better this, better that. Halo's better than Doom 3, which is probably why I find it more fun.

Good for you.

And yes no doubt there is a lot more to Halo than Doom3.
Halo (number 1) is a great game my second fav ever FPS.
For me tho I just like the back to basics simplicity / occult theming / ultra violence of Doom3 best.

Does that mean Halo is better than Doom3 or vice versa? -No.
They were both aiming for a totally different experience.
One was a tactical FPS, while the other was like a ghost train filled w/ zombies come to life.
Comparing the two is quite ******ed because they were both had a different goal.

WhatsHisFace said:
and we'll go our own ways. God knows I wouldn't like it where you're going.

I dunno what on earth you were talking about in this part, I think you were just waffling, and yea, I originally said 'wank' as in the British term for *********ion since I live in England.

If you say a game is s-hit (like you did w/ Doom3) when it obviously ain’t, and is respected as being a high quality game and is the best at what it does, then you come off sounding like a moron, see.?

Dangerous said:

The type of ‘scary’ I am talking about is the type that is at it's purest in Doom3.
Lets me explain-
Of course anyone will tell you who watches that many none of them will actually scare you anymore.
So games like Silent Hill that aspire to be like films are just that, an interactive movie.

Doom3’s tactic to scare you is very one dimensional and the same throughout the game,
The ‘fear’ in Doom3 from the player, is that (on the harder difficulties) of dieing.
It’s a different type of fear to being scared of a film, no films will scare a stiffened horror fan who has seen loads of them.
But if you are low on health creeping around in the delta labs w/ the hell hordes popping up from behind you it can be very scary when you are not expecting it.
It’s a different type of fear to actually being scared for your safety IRL, but it is definitely real.

This was basically the sole purpose of Doom3, its what the developers set out to do.
They succeeded.

Played SS when it came out, was a very fun game, not as scary as Doom3 nowhere near.

That’s is not debatable.

Good for you.

For me tho I just like the back to basics simplicity / occult theming / ultra violence of Doom3 best.

One was a tactical FPS, while the other was like a ghost train filled w/ zombies come to life.
Comparing the two is quite ******ed because they were both had a different goal.

I dunno what on earth you were talking about in this part, I think you were just waffling, and yea, I originally said 'wank' as in the British term for *********ion since I live in England.

If you say a game is s-hit (like you did w/ Doom3) when it obviously ain’t, and is respected as being a high quality game and is the best at what it does, then you come off sounding like a moron, see.?

What a surprise. an arrogant **** lives in england. Im so ashamed of my country these days, and for whf, I apologise on behalf of the decent english people out there. Not many of us but still.

Hey I agree with you about doom 3 being better than halo- but he does know more than you, and he comes off as more intelligent (no offense). He just puts things more eloquently than you. Not to mention you come off as a bit of a pompous ******** :p

You slam me for not liking a series of critically acclaimed games, and yet you are slamming whf for liking a game (halo) that did get better reviews than doom no matter how much we liked it? That seems kinda hypocritical to me....

And its funny how the people who say they are too good for this forum always (ALWAYS) come back to it. Its not like we would die without you here, so dont stay for our benefit.

Oh I loved this comment:

''
BTW- I have been playing videogames since 1986.
Which judging by the way you summarise games was probably when you were in diapers, and sucking on your moms tit.''

Nicely lifted from millions of tv shows and movies. I live in england too sadly, by the way, so it would be mum ;)

You were saying about assuming things?

Horrorfan said:
What a surprise. an arrogant **** lives in england. Im so ashamed of my country these days, and for whf, I apologise on behalf of the decent english people out there. Not many of us but still.

Buddy what’s w/ the attitude?
We’re just discussing games here, is that too much for you to be able to join in w/ in a civil manner without childish name calling?
Apparently so.

Horrorfan said:
Hey I agree with you about doom 3 being better than halo-

I never said either game was better than the other.
Read my post again.
That was one of my main points,- they are totally different styles of FPS and as such you cannot write one off by saying the other is better than it.

Horrorfan said:
but he does know more than you,

Unlikely, and very immature of you to assume.

Horrorfan said:
and he comes off as more intelligent (no offense). He just puts things more eloquently than you. Not to mention you come off as a bit of a pompous ******** :p

No offence to me, though I come off as a pompous ********, right.
How eloquent of you.

Horrorfan said:
You slam me for not liking a series of critically acclaimed games, and yet you are slamming whf for liking a game (halo) that did get better reviews than doom no matter how much we liked it? That seems kinda hypocritical to me....

I did not ‘slam’ you for not liking anything.
I ‘slammed’ you because you are a ****** w/ a capital ‘R’ and you proved this by saying Half Life & Half Life 2 ‘suck’, and ‘suck bad’, even though they happen to be two of the highest rated games ever.

Horrorfan said:
And its funny how the people who say they are too good for this forum always (ALWAYS) come back to it. Its not like we would die without you here, so don’t stay for our benefit.

Hey just mopping up the scraps, it’s easy pickings when you are mostly talking to pinheads who don’t even read your posts properly.

Horrorfan said:
Nicely lifted from millions of tv shows and movies. I live in england too sadly, by the way, so it would be mum ;)

You were saying about assuming things?

It is a well known phrase or saying, you noob.
Also if I am addressing someone who lives in the US then to them it is mom, not mum, hence I will implore their terminology so they don’t ask me what mum means.
Class is dismissed.

Advanced Dark said:
^ If you thought Doom 3 was mediocre then you must have hated Halo 2. I really enjoyed Doom 3 but thought Halo 2 was total rush job looking for quick bucks by bungie. What a horrible game that was. Worse than the original, horrible ending, lousy enemies, sappy weapons, repetive levels, boredom. I couldn't wait to finish it so I could return it.

This guy seems to know what he is talking about though.

Dangerous said:
Buddy what’s w/ the attitude?
We’re just discussing games here, is that too much for you to be able to join in w/ in a civil manner without childish name calling?
Apparently so.

I never said either game was better than the other.
Read my post again.
That was one of my main points,- they are totally different styles of FPS and as such you cannot write one off by saying the other is better than it.

Unlikely, and very immature of you to assume.

No offence to me, though I come off as a pompous ********, right.
How eloquent of you.

I did not ‘slam’ you for not liking anything.
I ‘slammed’ you because you are a ****** w/ a capital ‘R’ and you proved this by saying Half Life & Half Life 2 ‘suck’, and ‘suck bad’, even though they happen to be two of the highest rated games ever.

Hey just mopping up the scraps, it’s easy pickings when you are mostly talking to pinheads who don’t even read your posts properly.

It is a well known phrase or saying, you noob.
Also if I am addressing someone who lives in the US then to them it is mom, not mum, hence I will implore their terminology so they don’t ask me what mum means.
Class is dismissed.

OMG he called me a NOOB! I am pwned!!!!!!!!! Pure pwnage!!!

You are so teh awesome and cool, surely you are too cool to be hanging round these forums? So feel free to, you know, wonder back off to that cool message board you said you frequent :o

pwned indeed since you can't come back at me w/ anything I highlighted (since I am right),
and instead revert to attempted sarcasm.

Dangerous said:
pwned indeed since you can't come back at me w/ anything I highlighted (since I am right),
and instead revert to attempted sarcasm.

Ok well done you win. Now are you going to leave, or was this fabled super dooper special games board you visit in fact made up to make you look cool? :o

Horrorfan said:
A UK forum?

No thanks, mate. I'm good here.

I was not suggesting you join it. hahahhahah,
It's a UK hosted site, but NTSC denotes US games.

Dangerous said:
Lets me explain-

Dying? :whatever: You can die in every game, including Silent Hill, Thief, and F.E.A.R., all games that also manage to be scary while you're alive. Oh no! I'm about to die! :whatever: Howabout you just quicksave, which is just a button press.

Games have been having things pop out at you for a while now, which you would have known if you actually did play those games. I don't get what your whole underexposure to games is all about, but it's really apparent so you might want to get a bigger frame of reference before you talk about things.

They succeeded.
Then Doom 3 is neither a very ambitious game nor a success. I jumped once in Doom 3 - when you're looking at yourself in the mirror and you suddenly ignite and decay.

Shock horror is "horror" at it's lamest, by the way. All you need is a sudden loud noise.

Yeah, which is, as you said, an FPS at it's core. Much more so than Doom 3, which was basically a stripped-down Half-Life with fewer light sources.

That’s is not debatable.
Violence is defined as an act.

Doom 3's gore was planted there.

You can shoot things, but they vaporize without a trace in a Teen-esque manner. The game got the M rating for designer-planted props. There are far more violent games.

Only Doom 3 wasn't "back to basics", it was just outdated and horrendously pretentious. You can play the Doom 3 mods where it ACTUALLY goes back to basics, but a person with such perceptive problems as yourself probably wouldn't make the connection.

Actually, Halo is better than Doom 3. You can ask anyone. Including hundreds of game journalists and critics. Gamers if you want to. Doom 3 was a massive letdown to id fans and people who remembered the Doom and Quake games of old, and was probably the biggest disappointment of 2004.

You'd be right, except that Doom 3 is not respected in any way, especially not for being a high quality game. At best it was a glorified tech demo (though it launched after more technically impressive games), but as a game it falls behind even mediocre FPSs.

So when you go around calling a sub-par FPS your favorite, you come off sounding like you have infinitely bad taste, see?

WhatsHisFace said:
Dying? :whatever: You can die in every game, including Silent Hill, Thief, and F.E.A.R., all games that also manage to be scary while you're alive. Oh no! I'm about to die! :whatever: Howabout you just quicksave, which is just a button press.

Yes you can die in all those games listed, how astute of you to notice.
Like I said however, Doom 3 created a very dark, suffocating and claustrophobic atmosphere,
to much greater effect than any of those games. Thus if the player was able to except the premise of the game and allow oneself to be drawn in, fear (in the context of how I have previously explained) was one of the prevailing elements.

WhatsHisFace said:
Games have been having things pop out at you for a while now, which you would have known if you actually did play those games.

I am fully aware of this as I have played those games.
Sorry it chafes you so much but, like I said none of them do it half as good as Doom3.

WhatsHisFace said:
I don't get what your whole underexposure to games is all about, but it's really apparent so you might want to get a bigger frame of reference before you talk about things.

I don’t get what your whole not being able to understand me telling you I have played the games you listed is about, but it’s really apparent that you don’t seem to be able to except other peoples opinions or taste in games if they differ from yours.

WhatsHisFace said:
Then Doom 3 is neither a very ambitious game nor a success.

Wrong.

Better to set to accomplish a few goals based around a game theme, and pull it off w/ distinction, than to set out to try and craft a contrived or over complicated design brief, and not quite get it all.
What Doom3 did, it did very well and that is not disputable.
Go read an online review and see what the pros are.
If you are talking about financial success it was one of the biggest games of 04/05.

WhatsHisFace said:
I jumped once in Doom 3 - when you're looking at yourself in the mirror and you suddenly ignite and decay.

Shock horror is "horror" at it's lamest, by the way. All you need is a sudden loud noise.

Ok so Doom3 was not for you.

Maybe you went into in expecting something like the old games w/ hordes of enemies running at you constantly. Or maybe you wanted something more in the lines of an advancement of the FPS genre in the traditional sense. As a result you did not let yourself get drawn in.

Well, I think it is obvious you would have preferred something like that,- more meaningful NPC interaction, vehicles (hahahah) non linear levels etc etc.
Doom3 was not ‘shock horror’ as you put it, shocks were one element to the game but it was about creating a multi layered environment that typified foreboding, that before we even got to the hell spawn.

WhatsHisFace said:
Yeah, which is, as you said, an FPS at it's core. Much more so than Doom 3, which was basically a stripped-down Half-Life with fewer light sources.

Doom3 was as much an FPS as SS, just because it was not fought at the breakneck speed of Sam, does not mean it is not any less an FPS. I find such comments very immature and indicative of someone who does not really know what he is talking about in these matters. Even though he (w/ a few others noobs on this board) profess he does.

WhatsHisFace said:

Yes violence is defined as an act.
Upon clicking on that link I was greeted at the top of the page with-

*An act of aggression (as one against a person who resists); "he may accomplish by craft in the long run what he cannot do by force and violence in the short one"

*Ferocity: the property of being wild or turbulent; "the storm's violence"

*A turbulent state resulting in injuries and destruction etc.

These were the top three.

-An act of aggression/a person who resists -Marine w/ guns killing everything? Doom3- Check,
-Ferocity, of being wild and turbulent -Marine running through corridors killing? Doom3- Check,
-A turbulent state resulting in Death and Destruction , see were this is headed?

Good one Brainiac!

WhatsHisFace said:
Doom 3's gore was planted there.

Yes we had already established the gore was mostly intrinsic to the level design.

WhatsHisFace said:
You can shoot things, but they vaporize without a trace in a Teen-esque manner. The game got the M rating for designer-planted props. There are far more violent games.

It got an M rating because of themes of the occult, and because it featured a marine running through caverns and space labs shooting the ***** outta anything that moves w/ an array of weapons.

WhatsHisFace said:
Only Doom 3 wasn't "back to basics", it was just outdated and horrendously pretentious. You can play the Doom 3 mods where it ACTUALLY goes back to basics, but a person with such perceptive problems as yourself probably wouldn't make the connection.

In your simple black and white mind, back to basics probably means one thing- a game in the style of Serious Sam, w/ hundreds of enemies running at you.
Doom 3 was not pretentious at all- it accomplished everything id said it would.

Why don’t you go and learn what the word means before you start using it?
Id were very clear throughout the development period of exactly what type of experience Doom3 was going to offer. They explained how the game was going to be solely about a themed stripped down single player experience, based around building fear through the environment (set pieces & isolation), and the raw violence that typed the old games.
They were also very explicit in saying it was not going to be anything like the old games and there would be no hordes coming at you.

WhatsHisFace said:
Actually, Halo is better than Doom 3. You can ask anyone. Including hundreds of game journalists and critics. Gamers if you want to.

Halo scored higher unanimously everywhere true.
Halo is one of the highest rated games ever.
Doom3 was doing something that no other FPS had really had a stab at before though, set piece horror as seen in games like Resident Evil. Halo on the other hand, was just an evolved version of the FPS genre heading in its most obvious direction capitalizing on ideas started w/ HL.

I know many people online who prefer Doom3 to Halo but that is just because they prefer that type of experience. Personally I would not say one is better than the other, as they are two very different games.
To say X is better than Y, when we are talking about two great games of a different sub genre, exhibits an immaturity that is a symptomatic of youth culture (teenagers) or persons who have not yet grown to understand the context of different games in a more meaningful way.

WhatsHisFace said:
Doom 3 was a massive letdown to id fans and people who remembered the Doom and Quake games of old, and was probably the biggest disappointment of 2004.

Wrong.
It was only a disappointment to people like you who did not understand what the product was going to be.

WhatsHisFace said:
You'd be right, except that Doom 3 is not respected in any way, especially not for being a high quality game. At best it was a glorified tech demo (though it launched after more technically impressive games), but as a game it falls behind even mediocre FPSs.

These type of comments really prove that you do not know what you are talking about and also validate my previous assessments of your understanding of Doom3. It is quite amusing.

WhatsHisFace said:
So when you go around calling a sub-par FPS your favorite, you come off sounding like you have infinitely bad taste, see?

No it just shows I have different taste in FPS’ than you and that in the case of Doom3 I prefer an original and less cannibalistic, (HL=Halo influence) less contrived experience.
Whereas you sound like some sort of 14 year old child who is unable to except that others may find a different game to you their favourite, or a more enjoyable and absorbing experience.
Deal w/ it.

It is always interesting to see people argue their own opinions like they are facts though...haha.

And it's also funny seeing someone complain about another person's taste in games, like it's something important

I enjoyed Doom 3 quite a bit. Far superior to over-rated games like Halo. It was fun and if somone enjoyed it why bother posting how bad it was for the sole person of teasing and baiting someone into arguing back.

The thing is everyone has to like the same thing everyone else does. Somehow you're more of a gamer that way.

RedIsNotBlue said:
It is always interesting to see people argue their own opinions like they are facts though...haha.

Haha youre right. The sad thing is tho, that about 90% of this community can not distinguish the difference between an opinion and a fact.

Scrum said:
Please, just don't post here anymore. This board doesn't need people like you in it with the so-called 'cool kids' opinions.

What the hell are you talking about??? So because his opinion differs from yours, hes not allowed to post here??? Please explain...

Scrum said:
Please, just don't post here anymore. This board doesn't need people like you in it with the so-called 'cool kids' opinions.
Don't fall back into the old ways that got you in trouble before....everyone can post in here as long as they act nice to people.

Different people have different opinions....and they are allowe to express them...as long as they don't become offensive.

Road House offends me can you ban Swayze from acting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"