"Flame On!" The Human Torch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just dont see the point of making JOhnny that young. Im not saying it would be bad if they did but I think anywhere from late teens to mind 20s is fine for Johnny. It's more about how the character acts then his age

Fair enough. I woulf'nt mind a more 20-21yr old characterization. But he shouldn't be sciene type. No astronaut job. Make him a gearhead, always working on cars.

I have a feeling they are going to go the UFF route...

Justin Bieber Going To Space With Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic

Justin Bieber is the latest celebrity to sign up to head to space following the NASA cuts over the last few years. He will be joining Richard Branson's Virgin A-list space team of Ashton Kutcher and Leonardo DiCaprio in what will probably be a mission to explore the galaxy and help us find out more about the universe around us. Or maybe they'll just find this slice of pizza.

Justin Bieber paid $250,000 to be a modern-day Ferdinand Magellan but that's only .2% of his estimated $110 million net worth so it's kind of like when you splurge on getting some ice cream. At least Bieber will only get that gross space ice cream. Now all we need is a kickstarter to make Bowie in Space a reality.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/06/justin-bieber-space_n_3396025.html

It looks like we have found our Human Torch. :hehe:

I imagine that hes just poorly advertising a podcast hes a part of somehow

read that and that is just an idea no way to know if that will even take off at this point.

I'm not against a black actor for Torch, but seeing as how they are siblings, it would be strange to have Sue be white. If I had my preference, just make them both white and have Johnny be an 18 year old immature pretentious jackass like he's supposed to be.

I'm not against a black actor for Torch, but seeing as how they are siblings, it would be strange to have Sue be white. If I had my preference, just make them both white and have Johnny be an 18 year old immature pretentious jackass like he's supposed to be.

I don't think there is anything race specific about being 18 years old, immature, pretentious or general jackassery. :oldrazz:

But, in seriousness, I think if Johnny were to have an ethnic/racial change for the films Sue would have to be black as well. And... I am surprisingly OK with that. Of course, I have a real weakness for chocolate females of every shape and size so I am a little biased. :woot:

I don't care what colour Johnny is because i never liked him, but if they change Sue then i will never watch this film and will hate the whole franchise that could be made from it. This race change isn't something that will only be noticed by fans, the F4 are famous enough that the GA will also notice the race change, it just seems like a pointless hurdle that could stop the movie from being great. I have no problem with Reed being another race and it would need no explanation ( because he has no relation on the team). Ben should stay Jewish.

I don't care what colour Johnny is because i never liked him, but if they change Sue then i will never watch this film and will hate the whole franchise that could be made from it. This race change isn't something that will only be noticed by fans, the F4 are famous enough that the GA will also notice the race change, it just seems like a pointless hurdle that could stop the movie from being great. I have no problem with Reed being another race and it would need no explanation ( because he has no relation on the team). Ben should stay Jewish.

The general audience has no clue what religion Ben is, nor does it have to be an issue...it very seldom, if any really is it an issue in the comics. The rest I understand where you are coming from, but the last is not that big of a deal, I'm very doubtful that they are going have a religious issue in any of the movies for it to even come into play.

I don't think there is anything race specific about being 18 years old, immature, pretentious or general jackassery. :oldrazz:

But, in seriousness, I think if Johnny were to have an ethnic/racial change for the films Sue would have to be black as well. And... I am surprisingly OK with that. Of course, I have a real weakness for chocolate females of every shape and size so I am a little biased. :woot:

I didn't mean he had to be white to be obnoxious, I just meant that the classic character is white and obnoxious. But as there has been talk of a black actor, Sue would have to be black as well unless of course they wouldn't be related in the new movie continuity. But that would be WRONG!

The general audience has no clue what religion Ben is, nor does it have to be an issue...it very seldom, if any really is it an issue in the comics. The rest I understand where you are coming from, but the last is not that big of a deal, I'm very doubtful that they are going have a religious issue in any of the movies for it to even come into play.

I know that the General Audience wouldn't know that Ben is Jewish, I just like that he is and hope that stays the same.:yay:

Hunter Parrish for Torch for sure! He looks like Kirby's Johnny Storm.

I have no problem with making supporting characters like Nick Fury or even villains like Kingpin and Electro a different race than their comic counterparts, but Johnny Storm is one of the four main heroes of FF, and he was already featured in two movies. I think it is very important to keep the major heroes the way they are from the comics. I'm sure Jordan is a very talented young actor, but I for one do not want to see him being cast as Johnny Storm. Call me a purist or whatever, but if Trank make this change I will not see this movie. Period.

I have no problem with making supporting characters like Nick Fury or even villains like Kingpin and Electro a different race than their comic counterparts, but Johnny Storm is one of the four main heroes of FF, and he was already featured in two movies. I think it is very important to keep the major heroes the way they are from the comics. I'm sure Jordan is a very talented young actor, but I for one do not want to see him being cast as Johnny Storm. Call me a purist or whatever, but if Trank make this change I will not see this movie. Period.

I absolutely agree with this statement. The Four are an institution and to make any of them (as well as any well known character in pop culture) a race that they are not known for being would be wrong. It would be akin to making Batman Asian or Power Man white or turning Wonder Woman into an Arab. Questions of race don't come into it. When you are doing a character like that, it MUST stay true to what it is. With lesser known characters like Harvey Dent in Batman 89 or Fury it is fine, but don't mess with institutions. It's the same reason James Bond should never be a black man.

This whole debate is ridiculous. There is nothing in Johnny Storm's personality or background that necessitates him being a white dude. Nor, as many people have pointed out, would him being black mean that Sue or anyone else would have to be black - mixed race siblings happen all the time in real life, whether they're adopted, natural, or any of five billion other possibilities.

I don't need the Torch to be black, but if he were, it would just be a different visual interpretation. It's no less "true to the comics" than the Batman movies are for not having the grey spandex costume. If you don't have a problem with that, you shouldn't have a problem with this.

On a side note, I would love to hear Stan Lee's reaction to this. Probably make everyone's day.

Stan's reaction would be, "Does it make money? Oh, and do I get a cut of it because I have a do nothing Producer credit?" There might be a "True Believer" or the like thrown in there.

There is nothing in Johnny Storm's personality or background that necessitates him being a white dude.

But he should be younger and not as cool/confident as Michael B. Jordan - and that gets lost in the debate over race.

While it was fun to watch Chris Evans performance and he did a good job of playing an 'older' Johnny (the type of Johnny we should see when Franklin is born), people have come to accept him as the prototypical Johnny. I think MBJ can play that Johnny, but I want to see someone who can grow into the roll and play it differently than Evans.

I'd like to see an 18 year old who's into cars and girls - but not somebody who has the over-the-top cool-confidence that Evans had. He should have some attitude, but he should also be a little immature and annoying at the start (as teenagers can tend to be - says the father of a 20 year old).

Then he can grow and mature and gain confidence with his super-powers and eventually get to that point, but I want to see someone younger (or at least someone who can play younger). MBJ is 26 and he's heavier and beefier than he was in Chronicle. He probably could have played it a few years ago, but he's getting too mature now.

I'm not saying he can't pull it off, but I think there are better fits out there.

The characters age in a movie and the actual actors age are rarely the same and even less so with teenagers. Tom Cruise played a teenage boy when he was in his mid 20's in Risky Business. So actual age is of little factor to Jordan and Teller they can do enough with makeup and lighting to pull convincing teenagers out of a cast most in their mid 20's so far.

Well, the casting right now is kind of weird sounding. The person they might be casting for Sue, or maybe just a young Sue and another actress will play an older Sue. IF Jordan is the older Johnny and another Sue is cast as the older Sue, then fine. At it seems right now, Johnny looks older than Sue to me.

Seconded.:up:

Stan's reaction would be, "Does it make money? Oh, and do I get a cut of it because I have a do nothing Producer credit?" There might be a "True Believer" or the like thrown in there.

No more like "hello true believers, I am still a marketing ****e, and will agree with anything if money is put in my pocket....anything"

Ben is jewish? Really? Then... this guy:

russell-hantz-survivor-samoa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"