Football (Soccer)

If Southgate wants a club job he should be getting the likes of Sheff Utd IMO, not a club in the top half. International football management is very different.

I agree, I think there's about 8-10 clubs max that could entertain giving him a go & they're mid-lower half of the table.

In fact, I've just had a great idea, maybe Liverpool should appoint him! Yeah, why didn't I think of that sooner? They actually need a manager at the end of the season & he's a fantastic one, greatest England manager ever.. :D

Didnt even realize it was an international weekend, still in a daze after THAT fa cup game last Sunday it seems. England v Brazil is a fun match up as far as international friendlies go at least. as doesnt happen too often. Interested to see how we get on against them at least and decent competition ahead of the summer Euros.

Chilwell, Gallagher, Gordon and Watkins all playing today. Hopefully a good game in the last couple of friendlies before the Euros.

Quite competitive for a friendly. Bit of needle and a fair few chances, quite an open game. Main thing I want to avoid is injuries and Kyle Walker went off after 20 minutes holding his hamstring.

I had a feeling 17 year old Endrick might do something after coming on. In the end an easy finish after the work was done by Vinicius Jr. 1-0 Brazil.

Classic Southgate then, weakened Brazil side playing away at Wembley and England hand them a win. Not exactly important result but Southgate really cant win a game against an opposition of note can he. If United really think he is the answer this was further proof he just aint it.

Southgate is a painfully mediocre manager and he's the one reason nobody believes England will actually win anything despite having one of the strongest teams in a long time.

Columbia vs Spain at London Stadium had a better atmosphere than most West Ham home games :o

Ridiculous goal conceded by England against Belgium. ****e clearance by Pickford and it was in the net within 2 touches. Stones also injured adding to the long injury list.

Toney wins and converts a penalty but Tielemans scores his second to make it 2-1. Defending not the best today.

Bellingham scored with the last kick of the game to rescue the result, set up by Maddison. 2-2 final score. Seemed a better performance than against Brazil.

Bellingham scored with the last kick of the game to rescue the result, set up by Maddison. 2-2 final score. Seemed a better performance than against Brazil.

There was a period in the 2nd half where we practically played a diamond with Rice at the base and Foden/Mainoo/Bellingham ahead of him, it was some of the best football England have played in ages.

There was a period in the 2nd half where we practically played a diamond with Rice at the base and Foden/Mainoo/Bellingham ahead of him, it was some of the best football England have played in ages.

RIce, Mainoo, Bellingham needs to be the starting midfield for the Euros now. Phillips shouldn't even make the squad. Henderson inevitably will but hopefully doesn't play a significant part. Gallagher I'm not sure if he will be on the plane but hopefully also doesn't get minutes. Toney has helped his cause today. Bowen too although I'm not sure if he will make it yet given the intense competition for places amongst the non-central striker forwards.

This could be the England midfield for a long time and good number of tournaments if Mainoo lives up to his early potential - until (25 year old) Rice is done essentially.

WE seem to be very good at going forward, Rice, Mainoo, Bellingham and Foden are frightening for any team to face but I feel it leaves us very open at the back where we arent nearly as talented in players and against decent opposition we will always come up short in keeping the other teams out. The balance of the side is the hardest part to get right with this side it feels, we certainly have a lot of good players its just getting the the mix right.

WE seem to be very good at going forward, Rice, Mainoo, Bellingham and Foden are frightening for any team to face but I feel it leaves us very open at the back where we arent nearly as talented in players and against decent opposition we will always come up short in keeping the other teams out. The balance of the side is the hardest part to get right with this side it feels, we certainly have a lot of good players its just getting the the mix right.
On the plus side we’d have no out and out attacking midfielder starting (like Maddison). All 3 of Rice, Mainoo and Bellingham can contribute a lot when we don’t have the ball as well as when we do. England aren’t like old school Italy, we don’t have the nerve or quality when defending a lead, only a matter of time before we eventually concede. I think we’d be better playing to our strengths and being relentless going forward with high tempo.

With Mainoo, Rice, Bellingham, Foden, Saka and Kane in the front 6 we have the ability to steamroll the resistance of any team and make a few breakthroughs if we stick to an attacking philosophy. We’ll concede but I think that’s our best chance to win the big games 3-2 rather than 1-0.

RIce, Mainoo, Bellingham needs to be the starting midfield for the Euros now. Phillips shouldn't even make the squad. Henderson inevitably will but hopefully doesn't play a significant part. Gallagher I'm not sure if he will be on the plane but hopefully also doesn't get minutes. Toney has helped his cause today. Bowen too although I'm not sure if he will make it yet given the intense competition for places amongst the non-central striker forwards.

This could be the England midfield for a long time and good number of tournaments if Mainoo lives up to his early potential - until (25 year old) Rice is done essentially.

I think Toney pushed himself ahead of Ollie Watkins in the striker pecking order, and I could see Bowen going, he's absolutely rapid and could be very useful off the bench later on in games. I was surprised Southgate didn't give Branthwaite a start last night and didn't give Palmer some minutes.

That should be the starting midfield for the Euros, I agree, but whether Southgate will have the balls to start Mainoo in a tournament remains to be seen. Longterm I'd also keep an eye on Archie Gray at Leeds, he's a brilliant young talent and will be in the midfield mix by the next World Cup in my view.

If Southgate was more adventurous I'd love to see England go with the 3-4-3.

Endrick scored again last night, been a hell of a week for the young man! :D

Not even going to comment on Wales' clusterf*** of an attempt to qualify. Battered at home by Armenia in the group stages then lose to a woeful Poland team on penalties.

I agree, I think there's about 8-10 clubs max that could entertain giving him a go & they're mid-lower half of the table.

In fact, I've just had a great idea, maybe Liverpool should appoint him! Yeah, why didn't I think of that sooner? They actually need a manager at the end of the season & he's a fantastic one, greatest England manager ever.. :D

For a club that's had midfield greats like Robson, Scholes, Keane and Carrick we have neglected the engine room disgracefully. In Kobbie we have a brilliant young midfielder we can build around, we saw last night when playing with Rice, Bellingham and Foden how he can link up and help control a game. Rice outlines it in the below article, we have to get top technical midfielders in to play with him, not a cruncher DM who's legs have gone and a technically poor CM like Mctominay.

Reactions: B
I think Toney pushed himself ahead of Ollie Watkins in the striker pecking order, and I could see Bowen going, he's absolutely rapid and could be very useful off the bench later on in games. I was surprised Southgate didn't give Branthwaite a start last night and didn't give Palmer some minutes.

That should be the starting midfield for the Euros, I agree, but whether Southgate will have the balls to start Mainoo in a tournament remains to be seen. Longterm I'd also keep an eye on Archie Gray at Leeds, he's a brilliant young talent and will be in the midfield mix by the next World Cup in my view.

If Southgate was more adventurous I'd love to see England go with the 3-4-3.

Yes, agreed on Toney. Watkins has had a great PL season with Villa but it feels like Toney is closer to taking the step up to international (and one day CL) level. For a tournament being great at pens can't hurt either. I certainly wouldn't complain if Bowen got the nod after his form this season. I tried doing a 23 man squad the other day and he was one of those on the border with a couple of others of making it in. I'll be upset if Palmer doesn't get a chance, another I'd like to come off the bench, and Branthwaite will be a big player for the future if he doesn't make it this time.

Yes, my mate is a big Leeds fan and I've heard a lot about Archie Gray. I think we are going to be stronger at the World Cup than we are here with all these young players making another 2 year's progress.

That is a hot lineup!! Southgate will definitely have Saka in there somewhere. I'd love to be able to fit Trent in the starting midfield, and otherwise to come on as sub. I really hope Luke Shaw is fully fit by the tournament, not sure if likely. Chilwell looked a bit off the pace in these friendlies. Konsa did well and him and Gomez should at least keep some pressure on Maguire if he makes some early errors in the tournament.

Endrick scored again last night, been a hell of a week for the young man! :D

I see he scored twice. :cwink: :D. Definitely a big talent for the future. Congrats to Todd Boehly on turning him down for Chelsea.

Barcelona have another diamond on their hands.

The lad looks amazing. Can’t believe he’s 16. Real and Barca seem to be stockpiling outstanding kids with this guy, Vitor Roque, Endrick and Arda Guler.

Not even going to comment on Wales' clusterf*** of an attempt to qualify. Battered at home by Armenia in the group stages then lose to a woeful Poland team on penalties.
Shame they couldnt make another tournamount, its more fun in the Euros with more home nation sides at least they have had a few of late to enjoy. Ireland dont seem to get close to qualifying these days they really have dropped off since the Keane, Roy and Robbie, Duff etc days. Would have been a tough group Wales were going into with France and Holland but would have been fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"