FOX's Marketing Technique: "What Happens Last/Remembered First?"

star_chaser65 said:
I'm not responding or arguing with any of the above poitns, even though I read them.

I just wanted to say that, we're doing EXACTLY what fox wants us to. I don't think this strategy of marketing was a mistake or because of problems, it was planned from the beginning and it is GOING exactly as planned: rabid fans.

But to what point ?

To the point where fans are starting to loose interest in this Movie with NOTHING to look at / see ? All I can say is fans just want something to see. No matter how little, how big, how small it is. Heck look at that Spider-Man 3 Set Video. It stinks but fans are HAPPY they are SEEING SOMETHING. Fans here are getting to the point where they just won't want to give a damn about this Movie.

As someone in the actual marketing field, I fully understand why they are doing what they are doing with X3.

They are waiting for everything is perfect and then they are going to pound in it every which way they can.

People keep comparing it to Superman just because they are both comic films but there is a big difference. Xmen is a public-TESTED franchise that has already been proven to work. Sure they ran into a bit of a snag and got a bit of bad press at first because of director changes and such, but that is why they have to be even that much more precise on what is released. Sure it might annoy some of the more active fanbase (read: comic fanboys) but to the majority who know very little, small things like the X3 giant posters and cardboard mockups are doing quite a bit already.

X3 doesn't NEED to ****e itself out like King Kong or Superman does to the fanbase because their fanbase is already established and even those that are *****ing Marvel knows will STILL go see the movie regardless. Even if their initial desire is to try to debunk it.

From the small ammounts we know, this already is appearing to be a very massive film and unless they do something completely absurd, I seriously doubt it's going to do any worse than the other x films. If anything, I'm pretty certain it'll even do better.

Besides, look at the negatives that kong and blue boy had the deal with by releasing early shots where Kong looked cartoony and Superman looked like an 80s aerobics instructor.

I'd much rather they wait and release a packed trailer and press images that are perfect and refined and really knock the socks off people.

afmvdp said:
As someone in the actual marketing field, I fully understand why they are doing what they are doing with X3.

They are waiting for everything is perfect and then they are going to pound in it every which way they can.

People keep comparing it to Superman just because they are both comic films but there is a big difference. Xmen is a public-TESTED franchise that has already been proven to work. Sure they ran into a bit of a snag and got a bit of bad press at first because of director changes and such, but that is why they have to be even that much more precise on what is released. Sure it might annoy some of the more active fanbase (read: comic fanboys) but to the majority who know very little, small things like the X3 giant posters and cardboard mockups are doing quite a bit already.

X3 doesn't NEED to ****e itself out like King Kong or Superman does to the fanbase because their fanbase is already established and even those that are *****ing Marvel knows will STILL go see the movie regardless. Even if their initial desire is to try to debunk it.

From the small ammounts we know, this already is appearing to be a very massive film and unless they do something completely absurd, I seriously doubt it's going to do any worse than the other x films. If anything, I'm pretty certain it'll even do better.

Besides, look at the negatives that kong and blue boy had the deal with by releasing early shots where Kong looked cartoony and Superman looked like an 80s aerobics instructor.

I'd much rather they wait and release a packed trailer and press images that are perfect and refined and really knock the socks off people.

Just to let you know those Press Images are 100 % done / refined & ready to release as said by a1ant & various others why FOX is holding back is anyone's guess. But like said according to various others were told by the FOX Publicist that the pics are READY & have been ready for a LONG LONG time now & no before anyone thinks & tried to put words in my mouth that I did not say or just assume. I am NOT whining about the pics not being released Im just telling this guy FOX has stuff ready to be put out.

I think fox is doing a great job, in this day and age nothing has been leaked. Beast has been stolling around the set and we still haven't see him, I mean this has to be the most secretive movie ever considering how rabid the fan base is. Now for the release date, keep it, I'm sure they can finish the movie in time, and there has been nothing from the set that says they are having problems. Look at War of the Worlds, that things started production at the beginning of 05 and still got out in the summer and it was a huge hit.
This thing has been worked on for a while now, it already has characters developed that we care about, and anyone that disses the change in directors, just look at Prisoner of Askaban, and what looks like Goblet of Fire, the new directors came in to much criticism, but did a great job. Lets wait until we actually here anything to let the flaming begin.

The pictures will be out when the time is right...

Just a little FYI. WB tried this whole marketing approach Lightning is talking about with CINO. They even had a trailer during Spider-man 2.

This marketing strategy could backfire because its alienating the fans. Filmmakers like Jackson and Singer are showing us material because they want us to get more excited about it. Even Lucasfilm took a more open approach for Episode III and that's been the biggest movie of the year so far.

I remember a studio tried the whole secrecy thing with Godzilla (1998) as well...and they kept everything secret for a reason. IT F'N SUCKS!

If Fox had more faith in their own material I think we'd be seeing something already.

I'm just going to say, the most successful movies don't take this ridiculous backdoor approach.

faesforce said:
Absolutely. 95% of board conflict comes down to the simple, universal division of optimism and pessism; it depends on each person's nature.

Pas d'accord, mon ami.

The conflict happens (when it is a real one) when you have objective concern (and not pessismism) against "faith" in how "awsome" will be some movie (and not optimism), still in the making.

One should use his brains whenever he feels like doing it, even if the answer is just a chorus of uneducated common moviegoers saying: "I enjoyed it, damm the critics".

That's no optimism: it is simplism.

I dont know what everyone is fussing about....there are 6 months till we see this movie...that is 6 months in which we can get to see everything needed and for the audience to know about it....just because we are going through a dry patch doesnt mean FOX are trying to hide anything...

TheVileOne said:
I say there's no time like the present.

You havent got a multi million dollar movie in your hands which will make millions more...

Electrix said:
I dont know what everyone is fussing about....there are 6 months till we see this movie...that is 6 months in which we can get to see everything needed and for the audience to know about it....just because we are going through a dry patch doesnt mean FOX are trying to hide anything...

Yeah they are actually

Otherwise they would let leaked cast pictures & leaked pictures of ANYTHING stay on the net that were taking by fans on the Set

If its one thing you can NOT say is that they are NOT hiding anything WHEN THEY 100 % are hiding things

They arnt showing us things...they dont want our first image of Beast to look like a Furby...that doesnt mean they are hiding it....that means they are waiting till everything is 'perfect'

Electrix said:
They arnt showing us things...they dont want our first image of Beast to look like a Furby...that doesnt mean they are hiding it....that means they are waiting till everything is 'perfect'

Then that means FOX must think Fans are idiots or something

NO Fan should 100 % judge things from a pic taken WHILE FILMING as everyone would know its not 100 % how someone or thing will look

I can understand why FOX are being sensitive but they are also insulting fan's intelligence & basically saying f**k you to all fans

They are 100 % hiding things

Electrix said:

Spider-man 3 is yet to start filming and we've already seen an official image of the villain. That movie doesn't come out for a year and a half.

So many other movies aren't being shown for 6 months but we are still seeing a lot more than X-men 3.

All I'm asking for from the folks at Fox is proof that they are not going to screw this up and that they are not rushing it (when rush seems to be the first word to come out of the mouth of most of the people working on this movie). This sneak peak on the Fantastic Four DVD would've been the perfect time to do it, instead its just more hyperbole from Avi Arad.

They have started fimling on Spiderman 3...just not principal photography...it does suck tho that they already have pics out and we have....nothing...well the wolvie in the woods and the wolvie, storm and prof x shot...but thats all

OutcryX said:
They have started fimling on Spiderman 3...just not principal photography...it does suck tho that they already have pics out and we have....nothing...well the wolvie in the woods and the wolvie, storm and prof x shot...but thats all

Don't forget the Spider-Man 3 Set Video Recently Leaked

Sure it stinks but nice to know things are going good & that it has begun :up:

Lightning Strikez! said:
Do you think this could feasibly be FOX's plan?
Possible. I hope thats what they're aiming for and i hope they won't fall flat on their face when the pics and trailer are released.
FOX are handling things very differently with the marketing of X3 compared to the that of the first 2 X-Men movies and their other recent blockbusters (I, Robot, Mr. and Mrs.Smith to name a few). It's unusual and i can only hope they're doing because they believe they have something that can match the likes of Superman Returns.

TheVileOne said:
Spider-man 3 is yet to start filming and we've already seen an official image of the villain. That movie doesn't come out for a year and a half.

So many other movies aren't being shown for 6 months but we are still seeing a lot more than X-men 3.

All I'm asking for from the folks at Fox is proof that they are not going to screw this up and that they are not rushing it (when rush seems to be the first word to come out of the mouth of most of the people working on this movie). This sneak peak on the Fantastic Four DVD would've been the perfect time to do it, instead its just more hyperbole from Avi Arad.

They released that picture because the fans wanted to know which villians were going to be in Spiderman 3. They have a 2 year wait so they gave them that picture as a little 'something'.

Those other films need all the publicity it can get. X-Men 3 however, has had 2 filmed already get people interested. The X-Men movie franchise has its fans.

Well if the 'sneak peak' on the F4 isnt good enough then the teaser trailer with footage from the film, that will be released a few days later, should be enough...

TheVileOne said:

For once we are on the same page. It just irks me to pretty much every other comic book film with a set date after X3 is getting more publicity. With every day that passes it kind of builds up the possibility of disappointing people because people are thinking "Hey if they are taking this long to release photos it HAS to be amazing." I am just worried.

Electrix said:
They released that picture because the fans wanted to know which villians were going to be in Spiderman 3. They have a 2 year wait so they gave them that picture as a little 'something'.

Those other films need all the publicity it can get. X-Men 3 however, has had 2 filmed already get people interested. The X-Men movie franchise has its fans.

Well if the 'sneak peak' on the F4 isnt good enough then the teaser trailer with footage from the film, that will be released a few days later, should be enough...

Yeah yet we still don't know the main villain for X3. :O

Electrix said:

You have to admit it is POSSIBLE at any given rate that FOX can be also WORRIED that fans will NOT LIKE what they see because everything is well rushed with this Movie ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"