Game of Thrones General (Non-Book Related) Discussion Thread - Part 1

I will definitely be doing a GoT rewatch, possibly with someone who hasn’t seen it before. Varys was also one of my favourite characters.

Season 6 is only highly regarded because it's better than 5, but it wasn't a return to form either. To me it always been overrated. I feel like the increased production value clouded people's judgment of the post-season 5 seasons. 8 was demonstrably the worse tho.

Seasons 6 and 7 were where the rushed storytelling started to happen, particularly 7. I think people give them a pass because there are so many crowd-pleasing moments spread across those two seasons. The Battle of the Bastards, the official reveal of Jon Snow's parentage, Arya taking down House Frey, Drogon and the Dothraki vs. the Lannisters, the Night King taking out Viserion and converting him to his army, all the character reunions who hadn't been on screen together since the first season, and pretty much the entire season 6 finale, just to name a few.

But no matter what their overall stance on it, I think everyone agrees that season 8 was the worst one.

I know the big appeal to the franchise isnt what im about to say....but...i wouldn't mind a Highgarden spin off focused on Queen of Thornes in her younger years in a sort of GoTesque Bridgerton way.

As I make my way through the series again (S5), I definitely grow more annoyed with the showrunners/directors taking any chance they can to show full female nudity but somehow are gracious enough to film males from torso up most of the time.

Also my annoyance at how Cersie/Sansa never meet again after her escape grows more and more with each re-watch along with how somehow Cersie holds all this power in Kings Landing yet Margaery never really tries to use any herself apart from her manipulation of Tommen.

I know the big appeal to the franchise isnt what im about to say....but...i wouldn't mind a Highgarden spin off focused on Queen of Thornes in her younger years in a sort of GoTesque Bridgerton way.
That would honestly be a lot of fun. Not just because Olenna is a blast of a character but because there's so much interesting stuff going on in that era with Egg as king and his family.

Margaery and the Tyrells should've lived to the end. She had that whole subplot with Joffrey about being beloved by the common folk and all of that was forgotten with The Faith storyline.

Brynden Tullys going down in death offscreen was stupid. Should've have him join Jon&Sansa

Lord...season 7 is so rushed. 2 episodes in and enough content that should've taken 4 episodes. They couldn't come up with smart reasons for Dany to have losses so they just went "the enemy knows her every move"

The siege of High Garden one of the biggest let downs. Only saving grace was Olennas speech.

Jon hangs people for betraying him.

Tyrion kills his father on the toilet.

Daenerys kills 2 men who waged war against her and refused to join her.

Everyone thinks she's the bad guy..... this writing is so bad.

Jon hangs people for betraying him.

Tyrion kills his father on the toilet.

Daenerys kills 2 men who waged war against her and refused to join her.

Everyone thinks she's the bad guy..... this writing is so bad.
No one considered her to be a bad person for sentencing the Tarlys to death. Murdering countless innocents by burning down King's Landing, on the other hand?

No one considered her to be a bad person for sentencing the Tarlys to death. Murdering countless innocents by burning down King's Landing, on the other hand?

Im not talking about general audience. Im talking about people in her very camp. Varys was not happy about it, Tyrion took it better but wasnt fully happy about it either.

There's still several scenes in S7 that make me smile
got-season-7-finale-dany-dragonpit-1503892655.gif

Having all these characters in spot at one time still a great moment but we still deserved so much more from it.

Kings Landing has become so bare and boring with so many characters killed off by now. Winter barely hits it. Cersie rules with a golden thumb and everyone just goes with it. . Jamie should've ultimately turned on Cersie. Having Cersie do her stupid little fake out was stupid. Had she joined in, it would've made S8 so much more complex.

Viserions deaths till makes me tear up and I still wish they had done a "Dragons are magic, Viserion isn't totally gone and ends up turning on the Night King and rejoining Dany"

Im not talking about general audience. Im talking about people in her very camp. Varys was not happy about it, Tyrion took it better but wasnt fully happy about it either.
Ohhh gotcha. The writers betrayed Varys worst of all.

I took time off from the rewatch because 8x03 is gonna piss me off but im watching iy again and....im pissed off.

What in the 7 hells was the point of lighting up the Dothrokis swords just for them to get taken out in under a minute? They should've been some of the last ones too be taken out.

While i don't think dragon fire should outright kill the Nightking....it damn well should've harmed him and melted his little ice spears.

After they defeat the NK...why are there none of Danys people in the celebration with her. Instead they isolate her just to deem her as going crazy. Sansa has more respect for the Hound than she does Dany.

Last edited:
Daenerys begging Jon to keep his lineage a secret was very cringe to watch. They just flip a switch and undo 7 seasons of development.

The Starks annoy me and knowing they all get their happy endings....while Dany is torn down to justify everyone else. These last 3 episodes are going to be long.

Rhaegals death still has me seeing red. That entire attack made zero sense.

The last 2 episodes...just were plain bad and i couldn't take watching them fully through apart from my first view so i had to FF through majority of the scenes. Continues to leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Last edited:
IMHO Game of Thrones as a series is definition parts are greater than the whole.

As much as I've liked House of the Dragon, I still wish that Blood Moon made it to series. Though I thought it had a different title pertaining to The Long Night.

Where is all this coming from? Was there a leak or something? Usually networks keep anything involving failed pilots under lock and key. We never even saw anything from the original GOT pilot that had different actresses as Daenerys and Catelyn.

Everything I’ve heard about this show sounds super interesting. As much as I’ve enjoyed HOTD and would like to see Aegon’s Conquest depicted as well especially with Mattson Tomlin working on it, I also want something that’s a bit more non-Targaryen focused. I’m super interested in the Long Night/the Others/Night’s Watch side of this world and if this show really was about the Long Night, then that’s a huge bummer for me that it didn’t get the green-light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"