• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Games to Movies

I'm not getting the Mario thing, either. There's really no story to adapt. It's just 'go here to save princess, princess is not here, go somewhere else to eventually get the princess'. There's no real personalities to the characters or anything, either.

Right there with you, just because it's a big franchise doesn't mean it's ever been known for having a deep and satisfying storyline. Mario's all about fun gameplay. I think the Super Mario 90's cartoons took the story as deep as it can go while not drastically altering the source material.

Personally Mario just doesn't resonate with me like a lot of other gaming experiences anymore on several levels. When I was a kid, saving a Princess, jumping on a mushroom, and climbing a flag pole was all I needed, but anymore I find Mario games not to be as deep and satisfying, or have as rich of gameplay mechanics as a lot of other games. I think a game like Dragon's Age, or Demon's Souls give you a feeling of accomplishment when defeating tough enemies or finally level up, and give you rich customization, and a deep satisfying story that Mario doesn't.

Mario, for it's time was great, but it's just a solid, vibrant, finely tuned platformer. We let nostalgia let us think of Mario in a brighter light. Like it's 'THE' ultimate game because of it's history, but anymore a lot of games are just as fun, have deeper and more satisfying game mechanics, and a better story. They just don't have Mario (and it can be argued not always as fine tuned gameplay). There's nothing wrong with enjoying a Mario game, I just think a lot of ppl tend to look at the series with rose tinted glasses and think of it as being a perfect game, and included along with that perfect title they include all aspects like the story.

Movies I Am waiting for
Gears Of War
Halo
God Of War
Movies I would like
Uncharted
Mass Effect
Assassin's Creed
Call of Duty MW

A Mass Effect film will be made. Film studios are all fighting over the rights to it. Its just that Bioware wants to wait until a good deal comes by so their property won't treated like *****, aka Uwefied (or Bollified whichever it is).

A super mario movie, could defiinitely work animated, but...

I don't want to see that ****! :p

Who really wants to see a Super Mario film? I cant see how that would be a good film.

Outside of the games, there's nothing really there that a full length movie could deliver--especially when you accept that the only way to make it work would it to be animated..

Army of Two could be a kick ass movie if done right

Who really wants to see a Super Mario film? I cant see how that would be a good film.
Mario isnt epic enough to warrant a movie. He and the plot of the games are rather simplistic

I think movies should be original. All these movies being made from books, and games are not original. What happened to writing screenplays yourself and using your imagination?

People still do that. But they also adapt things from other media, and it's not exactly a new practice.

I think movies should be original. All these movies being made from books, and games are not original. What happened to writing screenplays yourself and using your imagination?

First of all, this isn't about whether films has lost any originality or anything like that. Its about what people would believe which video games would make the best films and what they would want to see on film.

Second of all. I don't ever understand why people always do this and always say that there is no originality in films anymore. It is an ignorant comment because there are many films that are still original, whether it be mainstream, indie, or foreign.

Third of all, most of film history includes films being adapted from books, sequels, remakes, prequels, and reboots.

Why are people always say the film industry isn't what it used to be when its exactly what it always was?

Last edited:
Uncharted basically is a movie, same with MGS. Hollywood would still find a way to screw them up and I'm in no rush for them to develop the two

I have np with Hollywood latching onto a pre existing story as long as they do it justice. I personally never read the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I loved the movies and would never have experienced any of that series universe had the movies not been put out. I realize that the movies left things out that the book had in, and it may have hurt the experience for avid LoTR fans, but I enjoyed it. Same with Jurrassic Park (novel before movie), and others. There are plenty of movies considered classics today that started out as novels.

What I don't like is cheap cash ins. Like the Street Fighter movie, no one on that project cared about the source material, treated it as a camp fest, and just decided to use the name to draw in video game fans. Then there are other movies that do not even remotely resemble their origins, where a director and screen writer are assigned that want to make it their own rather than draw on the source material.

I think there are plenty of games that could make great movies (and other would make better TV series), they have deep, compelling plots and characters. It's just that Hollywood doesn't have faith in most of the source materials because they were games so they do what they envision it should be, they tie a cast and crew on that could give a crap what it is as they see it as a cheap ride to fame on the source materials name, and some things just don't work when making the translation from game or comic to movie.

I believe that this decade will be the decade that filme studio will finally see the goldmine that are video game adaptations. They've gone through their dark ages like comic books, and once a hit film based on a game comes out, there will be more quality games.

Maybe 'Prince of Persia' will be game movie's 'X-Men'?

I hope so. If not that I can see Mass Effect be the big breakout film sometime this decade.

Mass Effect is one game I don't think ever needs to be turned into a movie. The games already tell Shep's story at a level comparable to a good movie, as far as I'm concerned. Now, if they wanted to make a movie about someone/something else set in the Mass Effect universe, I'd be all for that. Maybe a movie about Wrex's story with the assassin chick. :hehe:

Yeah, I thought the point of the CoD games were to let you feel like you're playing through a war movie.

Mass Effect is one game I don't think ever needs to be turned into a movie. The games already tell Shep's story at a level comparable to a good movie, as far as I'm concerned. Now, if they wanted to make a movie about someone/something else set in the Mass Effect universe, I'd be all for that. Maybe a movie about Wrex's story with the assassin chick. :hehe:

I'd be fine for either.

Games I would like to see as movies are
Army of Two
Metal Gear Solid
Assassins Creed
Gears of War
Call of Juarez Bound in Blood
Star Wars Republic Commando

That's all I can think of right now.

I'd love to see God of War now. The Movie would be a mix between 300 and Clash of the Titans.

I'd love to see God of War now. The Movie would be a mix between 300 and Clash of the Titans.

Looks like we're already getting that with the upcoming Clash of the Titans remake

Some games have story elements to work fine as films, they already made enough successful sci-fi films like Star Wars, Ghost Busters, 28 Days Later, Alien, Terminator, Iron Man, etc.. to warrant the potential of turning some game stories to film, even if the stories in the game aren't exactly high quality standards
I'm not one against video game films, I -for one- really like Mortal Kombat the movie, it's Enter the Dragon with supernatural elements mixed into the batch, some stuff aren't done right either for a movie or in adapting the story, but it's fun
I remember hearing a while back that they were going to make a live action Zelda movie
Link is a no personality always save the princess kind of character, works for the games, no use turning him to live action

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"