• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gamestop sued for misleading used game ads

Uh, i'm Australian, so yeah, $30 dollars is at least how much they would knock off what is originally a $100 game.

Used games are usually around 10% less than the new ones in the US. At best you save $5.

The $5, is the problem.

That, and employees using the new games as they're own personal game rental store.

that i agree with, i went in on day and asked did they have twin snakes for the gc(yeah that far back) to be told

"yeah we've got one copy but "bob" has it and he's on holiday for the week, when he brings it back we can sell it"

the other which i've seen GAME(uk chain) and a few others do

game new £25
game used £35

GameStop sucks. It's a glorified pawn shop.

What I hate the most is they make a killing off used games but NEVER have sales on new games. The only time they do is 1-2 days a year with their "Gamers Day Sale" (which is actually this weekend). But the copies they sell are the gutted, display copies.

Take God of War III for example. Brand new game, came out not even 2 weeks ago. It's $59.99 new. You're probably going to get $25 for it. GameStop is going to sell it for $55.99. That's $30 more than they gave you for it, so they're at least making $25 off that game. It's no different with games they pay $0.25 for.

And here is where my problem with them comes in. They make all this money from new and used games but never have sales on brand new games. All other stores do but GameStop never does. It's only used. Remember, MSRP means Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price. The stores can price it whatever they want.

And on the subject of trade-in values, you're not getting real money in return for your games.

Oh, and I love their promos which are a complete joke. Take this one for example:

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/specialt...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-Y.F0RcAKIsG8mG0VA.AIWw

Get $40 off GoWIII or FFXIII by trading in 2 games you paid $120 for. What a great deal :rolleyes:

I found this a year ago. I PM'd it to Kingfish (an ex-GS employee) and he said, while he never saw it, it was the exact same type of instructions they got.

There's not much to say about the used games buying and selling practices, it's all based on supply and demand. If you're going to buy God of War 3, then sell it in less than a month, use Gamefly, it's cheaper. There are options besides buying and selling games back at half price.

For new games, the reason why they rarely go on sale is the MSRP is usually what the stores have to pay for new games. Stores make very little off new games, places like Best Buy can undercut the price with sales because they have other merchandise to sell. The cheap game is to get you in the store and hope when you buy the game, you'll pick up some batteries, controllers, speaker wire, a replacement plan crap like that, where they make the real money. GameStop doesn't sell anything besides games and the business for making that profitable is in the used game buying and selling.

We act shocked when places that sell used items sell them for a larger amount than what they paid for them from customers.

There's not much to say about the used games buying and selling practices, it's all based on supply and demand. If you're going to buy God of War 3, then sell it in less than a month, use Gamefly, it's cheaper. There are options besides buying and selling games back at half price.
GameFly isn't that good depending on the type of gamer you are. Their cheapest plan (1 game out at a time) is $16. And of course there's the wait for each game. For me, GameFly would be a waste. I never pay the full MSRP for a game. The last on I did was Darksiders but even then I traded in a game to get $20 off it and had store credit (the game was A Boy and His Blob. Didn't like it and I wouldn't have made more than $20 selling it elsewhere). I also have a lot of games still sealed (9 last I counted). Anyone who does want to trade games after a month, Goozex is a much better option. I've been using it for almost a year now.

For new games, the reason why they rarely go on sale is the MSRP is usually what the stores have to pay for new games. Stores make very little off new games, places like Best Buy can undercut the price with sales because they have other merchandise to sell. The cheap game is to get you in the store and hope when you buy the game, you'll pick up some batteries, controllers, speaker wire, a replacement plan crap like that, where they make the real money. GameStop doesn't sell anything besides games and the business for making that profitable is in the used game buying and selling.

You're missing the point. They NEVER have sales on anything. Would it kill them to have a recently released game for $49.99 instead of $59.99? No. Especially since they have a big portion of the game market. It's [sadly] the first place people think of going to buy a game. They make enough off their used games to give $10 off a game for a week or weekend.

the only problem with Gamefly is that they have 4 warehouses in the country and they are all basically in the south, if they could get a few more out there and spread them out better than Gamefly could be really awesome. Anyways, I hope this kid gets countersued by Gamestop, it says right on the box free dlc with full retail purchase plus if it takes the kid a full week to find out the code doesn't work or whatever than he doesn't deserve the refund. He's an idiot, this whole lawsuit is stupid and a complete waste of time and money for both parties involved.

GameFly isn't that good depending on the type of gamer you are. Their cheapest plan (1 game out at a time) is $16. And of course there's the wait for each game. For me, GameFly would be a waste. I never pay the full MSRP for a game. The last on I did was Darksiders but even then I traded in a game to get $20 off it and had store credit (the game was A Boy and His Blob. Didn't like it and I wouldn't have made more than $20 selling it elsewhere). I also have a lot of games still sealed (9 last I counted). Anyone who does want to trade games after a month, Goozex is a much better option. I've been using it for almost a year now.
I use Goozex too. The downside with that though is that its not so good with new games as the wait can be lnog

True. I use it mostly to get stuff I missed that's 500 points or lower. It's especially great for GBA games since 90% of them are counterfeit.

While I think the guy was a dummy for not putting 2 and 2 together, GameStop had to know something like this might eventually happen. They should just tell customers that free dlc on some games only works with new copies when making used game purchases just like they tell me PC games are non-refundable. There problem solved.

You're missing the point. They NEVER have sales on anything. Would it kill them to have a recently released game for $49.99 instead of $59.99? No. Especially since they have a big portion of the game market. It's [sadly] the first place people think of going to buy a game. They make enough off their used games to give $10 off a game for a week or weekend.

I've never seen any sell a game for less than $60 ($50 for Wii) until it's been released for a month at least. Why would they, they would actually be losing money on the game then. Also, tou're generally not going to get someone who's paying $60 (or $50) for a game to buy another game at the same time. A place like Best Buy or Target, there's plenty of other stuff to grab, that's why they can reduce prices quicker. Oh, I'm already here, might as well buy some ink for my printer, some batteries, that DVD I've been looking at (which stores also generally don't make money off of), etc., etc.

Well, the guy is a dummy, but Gamestop should not be held responsible because a customer lacked common sense.

Gamestop probably should let people know, but that'd be expecting too much. Half the time the employees know less about games than any of us here do. More than half the time, the employees at gamestop don't even know what deals are on or off at the time.

When I first started going...years ago, the employees knew there systems, games, software, etc. etc....I could just go up to the guy and chat about the story to KOTOR (btw best star wars game ever)...or I remember waiting while the cashier and other customers, workers would be talking about their favorite games and such, or the new systems coming out, or the babes of DOA: Volleyball :cwink:...that's sorta what got me into going there years ago...the workers really sounded like they played games and knew the systems......today, not so much.

I'm always afraid to buy games w/exclusive content,etc...I've been tempted a couple times the last couple years......I'm always afraid somehow I'll end up like the guy in the lawsuit...lol...

When I first started going...years ago, the employees knew there systems, games, software, etc. etc....I could just go up to the guy and chat about the story to KOTOR (btw best star wars game ever)...or I remember waiting while the cashier and other customers, workers would be talking about their favorite games and such, or the new systems coming out, or the babes of DOA: Volleyball :cwink:...that's sorta what got me into going there years ago...the workers really sounded like they played games and knew the systems......today, not so much.

I'm always afraid to buy games w/exclusive content,etc...I've been tempted a couple times the last couple years......I'm always afraid somehow I'll end up like the guy in the lawsuit...lol...

As long as you pay attention and aren't an idiot, you shouldn't have a problem. I'm quite sure the guy's case will be thrown out of court. All GS has to do is show the court a dated ad where it states quite plainly, that The Stone Prisoner add-on for DA : O is INCLUDED FREE WITH EVERY NEW COPY OF THE GAME. It was advertised well in advance of the release, I knew it when I pre-ordered it the month before.

It and companies like it. Companies that leech off their customers and exploit their ignorance. Buying out all the big competition and forcing mom/pop stores to shut down. You think those companies are good for the world?

I agree.

But, Gamestop is way down in the food chain. Like...bottom rung, as far as being exploitive and dangerous. When Gamestop starts poisioning natural resources to break ground and build a factory, and people actually die because of it...then I'd agree that they're on the **** list. But, the fact of the matter is that Gamestop is a nuisance. An annoying one, at worst. There are more options, and now more places provide pre-order dlc incentives as well.

I guess since I've never got into the whole Rewards program at BB I don't know about how much I could be saving. But I think either way I mostly buy from Amazon and end up saving money from both places. A camera I bought last year cost me about 750$ on Amazon and Best Buy had it up to 825$ when I was browsing other store's prices. That's why I've never enjoyed buying from there.

The Rewards program is worth a look-see. It's free to join, and if you go through the website and add the gamers club you'll be treated to some nice coupons every month. Like a $10 coupon for Bioshock 2, a month ago. I think they had MW2 at $20 off with a coupon as well. There's some good stuff, sometimes.

That's true, for me as well. I remember when Gamestop was still pretty new, the guys they had working there knew about games. And I don't mean they'd say that game A sucked, and that game B was awesome. But, they were knowledgeable about the stuff they were selling.

But, the thing about it is that everywhere I go to buy games...the employees don't know anything either.

I went to two different Kmarts last week, to pick up Modern Warfare 2 for $40. It was a good deal, I wanted the game so I thought I'd go get it. The people working in the electronics department, in both Kmart's, didn't know what Modern Warfare 2 was. I thought MW2 was one of those games that everyone knew about, but I guess it's not.

I agree with what Pat said earlier. Gamestop is no better, and no worse. They get alot of attention because they're a videogames-only chain.

As long as you pay attention and aren't an idiot, you shouldn't have a problem. I'm quite sure the guy's case will be thrown out of court. All GS has to do is showthe court a dated ad where it states quite plainly, that The Stone Prisoner add-on for DA : O is INCLUDED FREE WITH EVERY NEW COPY OF THE GAME. It was advertised well in advance of the release, I knew it when I pre-ordered it the month before.

You don't have to be an idiot. You just need to look it up, if you care about the stuff that is.

People just need to do the homework. Before you buy a game, you gotta look it up before you even go to the store. Or hell, even ask the questions at the store.

I think, that had the guy asked the gamestop employee and been told that the DLC would be included with the used copy...it'd be a different case.

I've never seen any sell a game for less than $60 ($50 for Wii) until it's been released for a month at least. Why would they, they would actually be losing money on the game then. at (which stores also generally don't make money off of), etc., etc.
actually other retailers do have week 1 sales. Amazon, Toys R Us, Target and Best Buy frequently give out gift cards on new games. TRU gave $20 with GoW3 recently. Many of these places can be price matched to the other retailers for even more savings on the consumer. Thats what I did at Best Buy for GoW3 and essentially got it for $30 day one

I haven't been in a Toys R Us in years. Last time I went, their game selection sucked.

I haven't been in a Toys R Us in years. Last time I went, their game selection sucked.
maybe you should go back. TRU game selection is no different from any other retailer. They get all the major releases and tend to have the best sales when it does come to games

maybe you should go back. TRU game selection is no different from any other retailer. They get all the major releases and tend to have the best sales when it does come to games

I got GUN and Sopranos (both brand new) for $6 each in one of their clearance sales.

I agree about the open games trying to be sold as new is completley crap. I understand it is a business but the door should swing both ways, say I get a game on christmas and I open it to see inside but never play it once then take it to trade in or get my money back, gamestop then says well this is used cause its been opened, so why cant customers say that to gamestop when they try to sell us "brand new games opened". It cant be a one way street and oh and it does look rather stupid when your selling metal gear solid used for $26.99 and have a brand new copy for $19.99. or my favorite when you see bioshock 2 new for $59.99 and used $56.99.

I really wont be sad when I see gamestop go under. besides I got over on them when my old ps3 died in jan and the idiot didnt even test it to see if it was broke and he gave me $150 in trade in credit towards a new one.

I've actually heard you get a nice amount of credit for trading in games at toys 'r us, more than gamestop anyway

TRU got a horrible rap with gamers because of the vocal stance the corporation made against M-Rated games. I think it was with San Andreas, they had publicly said they would not carry non-family friendly games.

They have some good sales, and guess what...like Bad Superman said, they carry M-Rated games now (!!!?).

Same here, I haven't been to a TRU since I was collecting Star Wars figures in the late 90's-2000......about time I check it out again. Nowadays, I usally order/preorder everything on Amazon...No complaints yet...lol...

Well I personally think that Gamestop, as a company, should have a SOP in place for this situation because it's going to become more and more prevalent with newer games. They need to tell their employees that it will be their responsibility to let the consumer know up front about the issue or have some sort of sign up in the Used Games section letting the consumer know of the free DLC or lack thereof with these games, just to cover their ass. Since the game is used, it's going to cost "X" amount of dollars to get access to the DLC that was free to the consumer when it was new.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"